1. Allweil Arie. Amos; 34 HaTziurim. Tel Aviv: Gutenberg, 1940. Each graphic drawing signed by the artist in pencil. Includes Amos in Hebrew, bookplate removed. Good. Hardback & DJ.
Stark images in the style of Masereel and Herman Struck by important Israeli artist born in Galicia. Images of destruction. Very scarce (271652) $150.00
2. Allweil Arie. HaYehudi Ha Almone The Nameless or Anonymous Jew; 32 Tziurim. Dvir, 1939. Powerful graphic drawings. dj slight tears and stains, slight stains to back endpaper . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Introduction by Max Brod. Images include the pioneers reclaiming the Land, Jewish aspirations. ancient images, Nazi terrors, a Jewish Army marching with a BILU flag and peace in the Land. (271651) $100.00
3. America Israel Council Israeli Council for Israeli-Palestinian Peace. Archive Collection of the Other Israel (Newletter of the Israeli Council for Israeli-Palestinian Peace, Issues 1-33, July 1983 to September 1988). Downers Grove: AIC, 1988. spiral bound about 200 pages. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271738) $55.00
4. Arkin Alexander Habib. La Influencia De La Exegesis Hebrea En Los Comentarios Biblicos de Fray Luis De Leon. Madrid: Arias Montano, 1966. 205 pp tears to spine, pencil underlining to about eight pages. Good. Paperback. (271689) $25.00
5. Barrow Frances editor. Artis 2008. Jerusalem: : Artis Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consulate General of Israe, 2008. 80 pp. images of work of Israeli artists for display of their work in NY and Tel Aviv. Very Good. Wrapper. (270601) $26.00
6. Barry Dave Zweibel Alan. For This We Left Egypt? : A Passover Haggadah for Jews and Those Who Love Them. Flatiron, 2017. 136 pp. comedic Haggadah which I found ridiculous and offensive. Very Good. Hardcover . (271647) $18.00
7. Beinart Haim. Chapters in Judeo Spanish History Volume 1. Magnes , 1998. 532 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271672) $36.00
8. Ben-Arieh, Yehoshua. Jerusalem in the 19th Century emergence of the New City. Ben Zvi St Martin, 1984. 438 pp. dj torn worn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271914) $25.00
9. Ben-Shach Lifsha editor. Kivunim hadashim: ketav-et le-Tsiyonut ule-Yahadut. Kivunim Journal of Zionism and Judaism. Jerusalem: World Zionist ORg, Dec 1994. 173 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271752) $23.00
10. BenDavid Abba. Lshon miqra u-lshon ḥakhamim Biblical Hebrew and Mishnaic Hebrew… Dvir, 1967. 420 pp. In Hebew dj very torn and stained, tome in good shape. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271746) $68.00
11. Buber, Martin (editor). Der Jude Zweiter Jahrgang; Eine Monatschrift. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1917-1918. 2 Jahrgang. 776 pp. paper yellowing but not britle, original vellum spine soiled along edges and original boards. Good. Hardcover .
Contains the first printing of Kafka’s ‘Zwei Tiergeschichten’, as they were announced on the title page of the October 1917 issue; the first, “Schakale und Araber,” appeared in that issue; the second, the famous “Ein Bericht fur eine Akademie” in the next (November). There are nine of Buber’s own pieces (including one introducing Franz Werfel’s poems), two long essays by Gustav Landauer, and a story by Agnon, essays by Zweig, among much else of interest. (271716) $185.00
12. Cherlow Yuval. and the Halakha is like Beit Hillel. Sifrit HaGeunot. 128 pp. In Hebrew cover creased some dog eared pages. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Amazing Orthodx Rabbi who goes against the mainstream in his Orthodox Zionism, in terms of homosexuality and non Orthodox mariages (271773) $30.00
13. Chess Richard inscribed. Third Temple Poems. Tampa, 2007. 95 pp. Poetry on Jewish themes. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271727) $15.00
14. CLAL. T’shuvah: A Haggadah for the High Holidays. CLAL National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership, 2005?. 12 pp. commentary on different themes for use on Yom Kippur. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271706) $15.00
15. Dan, Joseph. Jewish Mysticism Volume 1-4; Late Antiquity Middle Ages Modern Period. Aronson, 1998. four volumes . Very good. Hardback & DJ. (271670) $75.00
16. A different spirit : photographic history of JTS. JTS, 2004. 34 pp. catalog of an exhibition. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271699) $15.00
17. Edrehi Dr M. An historical account of The Ten Tribes settled beyond the river Sambatyon,Iin the East. translated from the original manuscript and composed by the Rev. Dr. M. Edrehi, native of Morocco. London: printed for the author. Philadelphia: Isaac Edrehi, 5613 1853. Foxed frontispiece portrait of author, protected with original tissue paper.book plate and signature of C B Farwell important Chicago politician and Senator Original decorative binding with gilt lettering on spine 290+ 39 pp.crown and base of spine tears. Good. Boards.
Moses Edrehi was an itinerant Rabbi originating in Morocco, who spent some time in Europe, especially England, and finally settled in Israel, where he took the title of British Consul at Jerusalem. This edition was set up by his son, Isaac Edrehi. Information about Jews in unusal places detailed. Scarce work Singerman 1277 (271720) $100.00
18. Eiran Ehud. Tamtsit gaʻaguʻa : sipuro shel Erez Gershtain veha-milḥamah bi-Levanon; The essence of longing: General Erez Gerstein and the War in Lebanon. Yediʻot aḥaronot : Sifre ḥemed, 2007. 248 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271777) $25.00
19. Elazar Daniel editor. Facing the Eighties Current Trends inJewish Religius Life. American Jewish Committee Israel, Sping 1980. Tefutsot Israel Vol XVIII No 1 124 pp. collection of articles in Hebrew. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271756) $25.00
20. Ephraim Solomon ben Aaron, of Luntshits; Moses Alshekh; Judah Loew ben Bezalel. Maale Bet Horin / Ma’ale Beth Chorin [Hebrew Haggadah Vienna 1813) [Limited editioon facsimile] Adorned with elaborate copper etchings. Rare Judaica, 1975. slight stain on title page, tear along spine, limited edition number 746/1000 Good. Hardcover.
Hill, B. List or rare Hebraica & Judaica in the private library of Mr. Jacob M. Lowy, 1984, no. 515. The commentaries Gevurot H. and ʻOlelot Efrayim are by Judah Loew ben Bezalel and Ephraim Solomon ben Aaron of Lunṭshits respectively. (Worldcat) (271712) $85.00
21. Ewald Geo (signed by A Geiger) . Grammatica critica Linguae Arabicae, cum brevi metrorum doctrina; Volumen Prius Volumen Posterius (two volumes). Leipzig : Hahn, 1831. 394+ 348 pp. marbled worn boards, cloth type repaired spine, Signature of Abraham Geiger ( A.Geiger) on paste down of volume one with his handwriting in Hebrew above in small script and small library stamps of Bibl. d Verein Isr. Rel. Lehrer Frankfurt am Main, volume two is also ex library from a different library. Good-. Boards.
Geiger was considered the founding father of Reform Judaism. (271769) $165.00
22. Executive Council of Australian Jewry. Annual Conference. Australian Jewry, 1952, 1969-1971, 1973/74. 50 pp.+113 pp. +85 pp + 120 pp.+ 141 pp. + 98 pp.. slight library marks, mimeographed, extensive discussions concerning the plight of Australian Jewry and also conditions of world Jewry and political decisions. Good. Wrapper. (271770) $95.00
23. Furstenthal H B (ubersetzung). Menorath hammaor Licht verbreitender Leuchter Drei Theile Eine Moralsich -Religiose und Erbauliche Lekture fur Jung und; Hebraisch verfasst von dem beruhmten Spansichen Rabbiner Isaac Abohab (Aboab). Krotoschin: Monasch, 1845. 315 pp. + 558 pp. + 392 pp perforated library stamp tp firs title page and second title page has embossed stamp and pen wiriting of owner,,foxing and/or dark stains throughout not affecting readabiility , paper in good condition new red boards and spine and hinges reinforced, Was Bernard Bamberger’s copy . Hebrew text on top of page and German on bottom . Good-. Boards. (267498) $350.00
24. Goldberg Nathan. Occupational Patterns of American Jewry. JTSP Press, 1947. 85 pages slight library stamp tp. Good condition. Wrapper.
Jewish Life in America Series (271645) $20.00
25. Goldfarb Reuven editor. Agada. Berkeley: Agada Acquarian Minyan, Summer 1987. Image 10 58 pp. filled with articles and drawings Images of Israel. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271733) $17.00
26. Goldstein Gabriel exhibit curator. A Perfect Fit The Garment Industry and American Jewry. NY: Yeshiva University Museum, 2001. 96 pp. top corner slightly bumped exhibition catalog . Very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271796) $20.00
27. Hacohen Menachem. Mishpatim v’Alilot Dam; Mishpatay Ravoa v’alilot neged yehudim. Tel Aviv: Misrad habitachon, 1967. 200 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover . (270663) $36.00
28. Halpern Micah edited by. Jewish Legal Writings by Women: Urim, 1998. 306 + 62 pp. In English and Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271637) $15.00
29. Hazan Ephraim (editor). Studies in Hebrew Poetry and Jewish Heritage; In Memory of Aharon Mirsky. Bar Ilan, 2006. 480 pp. In Hebrew many essays concerning Sephardic Jewry. Very Good. Hardcover . (271673) $14.00
30. Holtz Avraham. Rabbinic Thought: An Introduction to the Works of M. Kadushin (In Hebrew). Sifriath Poalim & Jewish Theological Seminary of America,, 1978. 287 pp. dj torn In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271741) $12.00
31. International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism. Secular Humanistic Judaism. Jerusalem: Israel Association and International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism., Feb 1986. No 1 Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271751) $45.00
32. International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism. Secular Humanistic Judiasm. Jerusalem: Israel Association and International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism., Feb 1986. No 1 (96 pp.) pencil underlined In English wonderful articles. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271750) $45.00
33. Israel Association and International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism. Journal. Jerusalem: Israel Association and International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism., May 1988 March 1990. No 2 (140 pp.) In Hebrew No 3 (95 pp.) pen underlined. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271747) $45.00
34. Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism. International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism. The Orthodox are Running Wild. Jerusalem: Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism., Feb 1991. “Leket” No 4 40 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271753) $30.00
35. Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism. Journal. Jerusalem: Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism., June 1985. No 1 (55 pp.) In Hebew. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271749) $45.00
36. Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism. Secular Humanistic Judaism Journal. Jerusalem: Israel Association for Secular Humanistic Judaism., 1992. No 5 136 pp.In Herbew. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271757) $25.00
37. Israeli Yael. Jerusalem in history and vision. Jerusalem: Muze’on Yisrael, 1970. exhibition summer 1968 46 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271730) $25.00
38. Jabotinsky Vladimir. Taryag Millim 613 Hebrew Words. Jabotinsky Fdn, 1950. 105 pp. revised Israeli edition. Good. Paperback. (271693) $15.00
39. Kahn Susan. Are Genes Jewish? Conceptual Ambiguities in the New Genetic Age. Frankel center Univ of Michigan, 2005. 17 pp. Belin lecture No 12 Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271705) $16.00
40. Le Proces de Juifs en Union Sovietique. Proces de Riga mai 1971; Nr 5. Bibliotheque Juive, 1972. 69 pp.slight library mark on paste down, trials of Jews wishing to leave Russia for Israel. Good +. Wrapper. (271722) $25.00
41. Le Proces de Juifs en Union Sovietique. Second Proces de Leningrad Mai 1972; Nr 5. Bibliotheque Juive, 1972. 28 pp.slight library mark on paste down, trials of Jews wishing to leave Russia for Israel. Good +. Wrapper. (271723) $17.00
42. Liberman Maurice . Olam Umlooh Sefer Rishon. Yair, 1949. 100 pp. In Hebrew collection of stories. Good. Hardcover . (271755) $20.00
43. Luxemburg Danielle (curator). Old Yishuv Court. Jerusalem: Old Yishuv Court Museum, 1981. 45 pp beautifully rendered with many color plates Sueinf Ottoman Turk rule. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271759) $36.00
44. Ma’yan (Program : New York, N.Y.). Listen to her voice : the Ma’yan report. [Ma’yan, the Jewish Women’s Project, 2005. 34 pp.national tudy of Jewish women’s experiences in the Jewish community. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271697) $30.00
45. Mapu Abraham. Ahavat Tsiyon. warsaw: 1900?. 254 pp. in Hebrew tears to spine, covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (271797) $15.00
46. Mirsky Aharon. From Duties of the Heart to Songs of the Heart : Jewish Philosophy and Ethics and their influence on Hebrew poetry in Medieval Spain. Heberw University, 1992. 307 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271675) $10.00
47. (Morocco) Gouvernement cherifien, Service central des statistiques,. Population MarocaineI Israelite Volume IV. Rabat: 1953. 113 pp.lacks part of covers , tears to sides of first ten pages, paper yellowing,not brittle. Good. Wrapper.
Recensement general de la population en 1951-1952 (270607) $25.00
48. Netzer Effi. Sing Along with Effi Netzer the Songs We Love Book 1. : Mifalei Tarbut Vechinuch, 1983. 335 pp. In Hebrew and transliterated songs and music. Very Good. Hardcover . (271787) $25.00
49. Neusner Jacob. the Mishnah: A New Translation. Yale University Press, 1988. 1162 pp. dj worn and slight wear tears along edges. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271763) $54.00
50. Neusner Jacob. Why no Science in Judaism? Tulane Jewish Studies, 1987. 32 pp. lecture. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271704) $15.00
51. Nisan, Mordecai; Schremer, Oded; Editors. Educational Deliberations: Studies in Education Dedicated to Shlomo (Seymour) Fox. Keter, 2005. 481 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271760) $26.00
52. Nisan, Mordecai; Schremer, Oded; Editors. Maʻaseh ḥinukh : ḳovets meḥḳarim li-khevod Shlomoh Foḳs; Educational Deliberations: Studies in Education Dedicated to Shlomo (Seymour) Fox. Keter, 2005. 450 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271778) $26.00
53. Ofer Yosef. Shitat ha-beḥinot shel ha-Rav Mordekhai Broyer : ḳovets maʼamarim u-teguvot; “Aspects Theory” of Rav Mordechai Breuer. Hotsaʼat Tevunot, Mikhlelet Yaʻaḳov Hertsog le-yad Yeshivat Har-ʻEtsyon,, 2005. 369 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271772) $28.00
54. Ramon Amnon. “Doḳṭor mul doḳṭor gar” : Shekhunat Reḥavyah bi-Yerushalayim : hisṭoryah, haṿai, maslule siyur. Hotsaʼat Yad Yitsḥaḳ Ben Tsevi, 1998. 211 pp. In Hebrew filled with pictures. Good. Hardcover . (271765) $36.00
55. Rothblat Ch. M (inscribed by). Pakim ketanim: sekirot, divre bikoret, be’ayot ha-hinukh ha-Ivri veha-tsibur ha-Yehudi ba-Amerikah. Hotzaat HaMenorah, 1966. 308 pp. In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (271743) $20.00
56. Schweid Eliezer. Moledet ṿe-erets yeʻudah : erets-Yiśraʼel ba-hagut shel ʻam Yiśraʼel. ʻAm ʻoved, 1997. 244 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271776) $26.00
57. Seder Haggadah le-Leilei Pesach.} Hagada of voordracht voor de beide eerste avonden van het Pesachfeest (with Dutch translation by Dr. S.I.Mulder, New illustrations by Leo Pinkhof, and musical appendix by L.D. Staal). 11th Edition. Amsterdam: Joachimstal, 1931. 74 pp.+ Toevoegsel Bevattende Een Muziek Bijlake Van L D Staal (14 pp. of music and song), In Dutch, taped spine,hinge started , ilustartions in style of Jugenstil. Good. Boards.
yaari 2156 (271719) $125.00
58. Sefer ha-Rambam The Maimonides book of Tarbiz. On the occasion of the 800th anniversary of his birth. (In Hebrew). Hebrew University, 1935. 188 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Wrapper. (265293) $15.00
59. Shalom Yehuda Bar. Ideʼah shel tiḳun : yazamut ḥinukhit be-ḥevrah rav-tarbutit; “Tikkun” idea Educational entreprenurship in Israel’s multicultural society. haQiybws hamʼ whad,, 2004. 176 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Tikkun” idea Educational entreprenurship in Israel’s multicultural society (271774) $26.00
60. Shapiro, Aumie and Michael, editors. When We Were Young. London: Springboard, 1988. oblong 12mo 75 pp. new. stiff wrap.
Photographs and text of Jewish life in the United Kingdom. (271721) $15.00
61. Shapiro, M.A. Elye Spiṿak. Russko-evreĭski (idish) slovarʹ : okolo 40,000 slov. Moscow: “Russkiĭ i︠a︡zyk”, 1989. 719 pp. Russian to Yiddish dictionary; introduction in Russian only. Very Good. Hardcover . (271714) $65.00
62. Simeon bar Yoḥai. Zohar al Ha Torah Helek Shenei Sefer Shemot. Livorno: M.Y. Ṭoviyan, 1858. 279 pp. In Hebrew new spine and boards, paper in good shape. Good. Boards. (271771) $75.00
63. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: 1962. Jahrgang 31 Nr. 1- 10 (full year), 364 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life and culture in Sweden (271785) $48.00
64. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: 1959-1961. Jahrgang 28 Nr. 1- 10 (full year), Jahrgang 29 Nr. 1-10 (full year), Jahrgang 30 Nr. 1-10, 280 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life in Sweden Filled with articles about Israel and world Jewry (271783) $65.00
65. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: Jan 1957- Dec 1957. Jahrgang 26 Nr. 1- 19/20 358 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life in Sweden articles on Israel and world Jewry (271786) $48.00
66. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: Jan 1958- Dec 1958. Jahrgang 27 Nr. 1- 10, 240 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life and culture in Sweden (271784) $48.00
67. Vance Sharon. The Martyrdom of a Moroccan Jewish Saint. Brill, 2011. 239 pp. extensively highlighted in yellow and with pen notations, reading copy. Good +. Hardcover .
The martyrdom in 1834 of Sol Hatchuel, a Jewish girl from Tangier, traumatized the Jewish community and inspired a literary response in Morocco and beyond. This study focuses on works written in the first century after her death in Hebrew, Judeo-Arabic, Judeo-Spanish, Spanish and French that tell her story and interpret its meaning. The author places both the event and the texts that narrate it in their historical context and show how its significance changed in each language and literary setting. (271641) $45.00
68. Wells George. The Israelid. A Poem, Historical and Prophetic. In Seven Cantos. NY: Gray, 1859. 139 pp. covers worn, crown bumped, edges rubbed and bumped. Good. Hardcover .
Singerman 1606 Portrays the Goths as the Lost Tribes of Israel (270616) $55.00
69. Wertheim Ph. sektr der judischen Gemeinde Berlin. Kalender und Jahrbuch auf das Jahr 5617 fur die judischen Gemeinden Preussens. Berlin: Veit, 1857. 156 pp. library stamp from Bibliothek der Lehrahstalt fur die Wiss. des Judentums covers worn taped title to spine. Good. Boards. (271684) $40.00
70. Zagat, Samuel ; Zagat, Ida(editor and sigbed by). Zagat: Drawings and Paintings; Jewish Life on New York’s Lower East Side 1912-1962. Rogers Book Service, 1972. 108 pp. Very Good-. Cloth. (270625) $23.00
71. Zfatman Sara. The Jewish Tale in the Middle Ages Between Ashkenaz and Sepharad. Magnes Press, 1993. 248 pp. crown of spine bumped, In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271674) $15.00
This catalog is issued in honor and in memory of my late wife, Hanna Jane Trigère. Her life was filled with creating beauty in the world and hiddur mitzvah. Some of her work can be seen below, and additional art, writings, and videos can be viewed at her website, www.JaneTrigere.com.
May her memory be for a blessing, and may it inspire us to make this a more beautiful and compassionate world.
Wishing you all a joyous Pesach.
1. The Jewish Contribution in Twentieth-Century Art: Selections from the Permanent Collection. Milwaukke Art Museum, 1993. 60 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271421) $15.00
2. Juhasz, Esther. Sephardi Jews in the Ottoman Empire: Aspects of Material Culture. Israel Museum, 1990. 280 pp. Catalog of the exhibit with superb black and white and color illustrations, Inspiring work. Very Good. Paperback. (270909) $25.00
3. Kaethe Kollwitz : Zeichnungen, Radierungen, Lithographien, Holzschnitte, Skulpturen. Tel Aviv Museum, 1971. exhibition catalog about 85 pp. In english and Hebrew with black and white images, ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272565) $26.00
4. Kanof, Abram. Jewish Ceremonial Art and Religious Observance. NY: Abrams, 1969. 253 pp. ex library with markings. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (229063) $18.00
5. Kanstsedikas A. Masterpieces of Jewish Art Bronze. Moscow: Imidzh, 1991. 318 pp. In Russian and English. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
illustrated book of Jewish ceremonial objects and crafts found in museums and private collections in Russia (259289) $25.00
6. Katz Raymond signed by. Prelude to a New Art for an Old Religion; 27 Original Motifs Based on the Hebrew Alphabet. Chicago: Stein, 1945. 27 pp. spiral bound, Good +. cardboards.
Preface and explanatory notes by Shlomo Marenoff (271328) $65.00
7. Kayser ,Stephen. Jewish Ceremonial Art: A Guide to the Appreciation of Art Objects…Principally from the Collection of Jewish Museum. Phil: JPS, 1955. 12mo 168 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (229073) $15.00
8. Kirshenblatt Gimblett Barbara editor. The Art of Being Jewish in Modern Times. Pennsylvania, 2007. 449 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271358) $18.00
9. Kirshenblatt Gimblett Barbara editor. Destination Culture: Tourism, Museums, and Heritage. California, 1998. 326 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271366) $58.00
10. Kleeblatt Norman. Larry Rivers’ History of Matzah: The Story of the Jews (an exhibition catalogue). Jewish Museum, 1984. 27 pp. with some fold out art. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (255226) $16.00
11. Kleeblatt Norman. Leon and Julia Obermayer Collection at Congregation Rodeph Shalom. Philadelphia: Rodeph Shalom, 1988. 31 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Includes discussion of Jewish ceremonial art and life transitions and examples of works and then catalog (270951) $15.00
12. Kleeblatt, Norman (editor). Mirroring Evil: Nazi Imagery/ Recent Art. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 2002. New. Paperback.
Catalog from controversial exhibit at Jewish Museum. When does art become kitsch and offensive to memory? (269017) $10.00
13. Krippendorff Ekkehart. Die Darstellung des Judentums in der Lehrerbildung und im Schulunterricht. Bonn: Verbandes Deutscher Studentenschafte, 1960. 96+ 36 pp. typed mimeograph, paper yellowing but not brittle, small piece of cover lacking, slight library mark on paste down. Good. Wrapper.
Verbandes Deutscher Studentenschaften (271320) $25.00
14. Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Architecture-Periods and Styles; Jewish Neighborhoods and Public Buildings Outside the City Walls. Keter, 1987. 356pp, in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (253496) $35.00
15. Kupferminc Mirta. Wanderings. HUC JIR Museum, 2009/2010. Exhibition catalog of the work of Argentinian Jewish artist about 50 pp many color illustrations includes essays about her work. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272572) $53.00
16. Landsberger, Franz. A History of Jewish Art. UAHC, 1946. 369 pp.classic work. good. Hardcover .
Was head of the Jewish Museum in Berlin, was imprisoned by the Nazis and was able to flee and take a position with HUC in Cincinnati. (272556) $17.00
17. Langer, Lawrence (essay and commentary). Landscapes of Jewish Experience: Paintings by Samuel Bak. Boston: Pucker Gallery/Brandeis, 1997. large 8vo 126 pp. dj creased . Good. Hardback & DJ.
Bak was from Vilna, hidden during the Holocaust. Paints as a witness to the destruction and as a survivor rebuilding for future (260692) $25.00
18. Leveen, Jacob. The Hebrew Bible in Art: The Schweisch Lectures of 1939. London: Hermon Press, 1974. 140 pp. 51 plates one page has pen marks book plate sfep. good. cloth. (271350) $12.00
19. Levine, Lee ( editor). Ancient Synagogues Revealed. Detroit: Wayne State, 1982. 199 pp Filled with illustrations. dj torn. Good. Hardcover . (267302) $15.00
20. Levy Jane. The Jewish Illustrated Book. Berkeley: Judah Magnes Museum, 1986. 150 pp. Very good. Paperback.
Essays on the Jewish illustrated book Jewish artists as Book illustrators and catalog of books illustrated by the artists. (267303) $10.00
21. Lewbin Hyman. Rebirth of Jewish Art The unfolding of Jewish Art in the Nineteenth Century. NY: Shengold, 1974. 8vo 125 pp. good. cloth. (260687) $15.00
22. Liberman Judith Weinshall. My Life into Art; an Autobiography. Booklocker, 2007. 328 pp inscribed copy. Very Good. Paperback.
From Israel to the USA, her journey form law into art. Known for her Judaica work and memorials to the Shoah especially Holocaust Wall Hangings also distributed by Schoen Books. (220789) $30.00
23. Liberman, Judith Weinshall. Holocaust Wall Hangings. Boston: Charles River, 2002. 89 pp. Very good+. Hardback & DJ.
Exquisitely produced book combines reproductions of 45 unique multimedia artworks about the Holocaust with analytical essays about these works, each from a different perspective. The large textile wall hangings have been exhibited in museums throughout the USA. Essays by Stephen Feinstein, Salvatore Scalora, Ori Soltes and the artist. (252099) $15.00
24. Lilien, E.M. (Zeichnungen); Rahlwes, F (Hrsg.) . Die Bucher der Bibel Die Lehrdichtung Die Spruche * Hiob * Der Prediger * Ruth * Jona * Esther * Daniel. Wien: Harz, 1923. 304 pp. Good +. Cloth.
E.M. Lilien was the leading Jewish artist of Jugendstil. One of the special characteristics of this volume is that in addition to the usual numerous illustrations, Lilien has designeddifferent stylized letters for the text which is elegantly printed in red and black. (268149) $150.00
25. Lilien, E.M. (Zeichnungen); Rahlwes, F (Hrsg.) . Die Bucher der Bibel Die Liederdichtung; Die Psalmen * Die Klagelieder * Das Hohelied. Wien: Harz, 1923. 328 pp endpapers foxed, plate removed ffrom back endpaper the interior is clean, no marks. book bit shaken, decorated covers bit soiled. Good. Cloth.
E.M. Lilien was the leading Jewish artist of Jugendstil. One of the special characteristics of this volume is that in addition to the usual numerous illustrations, Lilien has designed over 100 different stylized borders for the text which is elegantly printed in red and black. (259133) $125.00
26. Lilien, E.M. (Zeichnungen); Rahlwes, F (Hrsg.) . Die Bucher der Bibel Die Liederdichtung; Die Psalmen * Die Klagelieder * Das Hohelied. Wien: Harz, 1923. 328 pp hinge starting crown and base of spine slight tears. GoodGood +. Cloth.
E.M. Lilien was the leading Jewish artist of Jugendstil. One of the special characteristics of this volume is that in addition to the usual numerous illustrations, Lilien has designed over 100 different stylized borders for the text which is elegantly printed in red and black. (268150) $165.00
27. Lilien, E.M.; Bar-Am, Micha; Feldman, Nira (editor). Painting with Light; The Photographic Aspect in the Work of E M Lilien. Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv Museum, 1990. 239 pp. top corner slightly bumped. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition catalog. Magnificent. (260149) $40.00
28. Mann Vivian. Jewish Texts on the Visual Arts. Cambridge, 2000. 236 pp. sfep . Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271349) $30.00
29. Mann, Vivian ,(editor). Convivencia: Jews, Muslims and Christians in Medieval Spain. NY: Jewish Museum, 1992. large 8vo 264 pp. Good +. wrapper.
Essays by Benjamin Gampel on Jews Christians and Muslims through the eyes of Sephardic Jews, Hebrew poetry by Raymond P. Scheindlin, Dwayne Carpenter on social perceptions in literature, Science in Medieval Spain by Thomas Glick, Mudejar tradition, cultural identity and hegemony by Jerrilynn Dodds, Hebrew Illuminated Manuscripts by Gabrielle Sed-Rajna and Material Cultural in Medieval Spain by Juan Zozaya (260267) $15.00
30. Marcel Janco Exposition Retrospective. Tel Aviv Museum, 1972. 40 pp. In Hebrew and English ex library with pocket and book plate many color images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272570) $24.00
31. Marx Alexander Herrmann Meyer. Festschrift für Aron Freimann. Soncino, 1935. 172 pp. ex library with markings and plate,tape on spine wonderful essays including Gershom Scholem on A Kabbasilsitc Work in the British Museum. Good-. Hardcover .
From 1897 he was chief of the Hebrew department at the Stadtbibliotek Frankfurt, and under his direction the library in Frankfurt upon Main assembled one of the richest collections of Judaica and Hebraica in the world. He retired in 1933 when the Nazis came to power and immigrated to the United States in 1938. Between 1939 and 1945 he served as consultant in bibliography to the New York Public Library.(Wikipedia) (272377) $68.00
32. Mary Ryan Gallery. Hugo Gellert. Gallery, 1986. 32 pp. works for sale by Gellert and prices, cover worn worker art. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271331) $30.00
33. Mayor Hyatt inscribed by. Rembrandt and the Bible. Metropolitan Museum, 1979. 48 pp. wonderful images. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272554) $20.00
34. Mellinkoff Ruth. The Horned Moses in Medieval Art and Thought (California Studies in the History of Art, 14). California, 1970. 210 pp. with many plates following text bookplate. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271317) $18.00
35. Mendelsohn Ezra (editor). Art and Its Uses The Visual Image and Modern Jewish Society Studies in Contemporary Jewry an annual VI. NY: Oxford UP, 1990. Excellent collectionof essays including The Artist as refugee and Visual Dreyfus Affair and Max Lieberman painting in publ sph 8vo 418 pp. very good. Hardback & DJ. (271351) $15.00
36. Mendelsohn Ezra. Painting a People; Maurycy Gottlieb and Jewish Art. Brandeis, 2002. 279 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (271348) $16.00
37. Meyers-Kingsley Dara. Two Site Specific Artworks at the Center for Jewish History Luminous Manuscripts Diane Samuels and Biblical Species by Michelle Doner. Center for Jewish History, 2008?. about 25 pages with many color illustrations, magnificent. Very Good. Wrapper. (265085) $18.00
38. Millner, Simon. Lesser Ury. NY: Macmadim, 1943. Fourteen etchings by Ury. Text in Hebrew 12mo 16+14 pp. tears to spine and crown bruised. Good-. Hardcover . (256602) $15.00
39. Milrod Glenda. Ketubah: The Jewish Marriage Contract. Art Gallery of Ontario, 1980. Magnificent work. material on loan from the Cecil Roth collection at Beth Tzedec Museum 58 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (263459) $25.00
40. Mintz Sharon curator. Towards the Eternal Center: Israel, Jerusalem, and the Temple an Exhibition , March 5-June 27, 1996, the Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. JTS, 1966. 71 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (260140) $20.00
41. Mintz Sharon (curator). Kehillat Ha Kodesh Creating the Sacred Community; The roles of the Rabbi Cantor Mohel and Shohet in Jewish Communal Life. JTS, 1997. 70 pp. back cover slight crease, filled with images. Very Good. Paperback. (271395) $15.00
42. Moore, Claire, editor. The Visual Dimension: Aspects of Jewish Art. Boulder: Westview, 1993. 8vo 184 pp. new. cloth.
Published in memory of isaiah shachar, in cooperation with the oxford centre for postgraduate hebrew studies. (265738) $24.00
43. Morgenstein, Susan & Levine, Ruth. The Jews in the Age of Rembrandt. Judaic Museum of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, 1982. 84 pp.three essays and exhibition plates inscription on tp. Good +. Paperback. (272553) $20.00
44. Moritz Spitzer; Mira Friedmann;. Jerusalem: paintings and drawings. World Zionist Organization. Department for Education and Culture in the Diaspora .Dvir, 1968. “Mordechai Ardon, Avigdor Arikha, Ludwig Blum, Leon Engelsberg, Leopold Krakauer, Mordechai Levanon, Ruben Rubin, Jakob Steinhardt, Anna Ticho, Joseph Zaritsky.” 1 portfolio ( pages, 10 plates (some color) folio Magnificent images. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
[Edited by Moshe Spitzer. Description of the pictures by Mira Friedmann. (271301) $75.00
45. Moshe Castel Retrospective Exhibition 1928-1973. Tel Aviv Museum, 1973. 70 pp. ex library with pocket and book plate many color images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272568) $20.00
46. Moshe Castel Retrospective Exhibition 1928-1973. Tel Aviv Museum, 1973. 70 pp. ex library with pocket and book plate many color images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272569) $20.00
47. Nadler Steven. Rembrandt’s Jews. Univ of Chicago, 2003. Discusses Rembrandt’s realtionship with the Jewish people and Judaism. 250 pages . Very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271347) $12.00
48. Namenyi, Ernest. The Essence of Jewish Art. NY: Yoseloff, 1960. 92 pp. ex library with plates. Good. Hardcover . (271352) $10.00
49. Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Ten 1984. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1984. 118 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Pharaoh is Dead and Living at the Gates of Hell,” Narkiss, “Three Mysterious Ladies Unmasked,” Ruth Mellinkoff, “Further Thoughts on an Ealry Illustrated Pentateuch,” Gabrielle Sed-Rajna, “The ‘Camera del Mapamondo et del Caiero’ in the Palazzo di San Sebastian in Mantua,” Clifford M. Brown, “The Use of Meaning of Christian Motifs in Illustrations of Jewish Marriage Contracts in Italy,” Shalom Sabar, “Illustrations in Early Editions of the Tsene-U’rene: Jewish Adaptations of Christian Sources,” Milly Heyd, “The Masonic Mizrah and Lamp: Jewish Ritual Art as a Reflection of Cultural Assimilation,” Alice M. Greenwald, “Prophet Elijah’s Ascension in the Works of Chagall,” Mira Friedman (257004) $30.00
50. Newman, Elias. Art in Palestine: A Survey of the Development of Contemporary Art: Fifty Biographies. NY: Siebel, 1939. 125 pp . good. Hardcover .
Many refugee artists sculptors and stage designers included.Biography also includes a reproduction of artist’s work (272555) $25.00
51. Nochlin Linda (editor). The Jew in the Text Modernity and the Construction of Identity. London: Thames and Hudson, 1995. 8vo 335 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
The portrayal and use of the Jew in modern fiction. Sixteen Essays Articles are, “Starting with the Self: Jewish Identity and Its Representation,” Linda Nochlin, “Modernity, Identity, Textuality,” Tamar Garb, “Neither Black Nor White: THe Figure of ‘the Jew’ in Imperial British Literature,” Bryan Cheyette, “Charles Dickens’ ‘Oliver Twist:’ Fagin as a Sign,” Juliet Stein, “Toulouse-Lautrec’s Illustrations for Victor Joze and Georges Clemenceau and their Relationship to french Anti-Semitism of the 1890’s,” Gale B. Murray, “Joh Singer Sargent’s Portraits of the Wetheimer family,” Kathleen Adler, “Salome, Syphilis, Sarah Bernhardt, and the Modern Jewess,” Sander L. Gilman, “When Is a Jewish Star Just a Star? Interpreting Images of Sarah Bernhardt,” Carlo Ockman, “Marcel Proust: In Search of Identity,” Julia Kristeva, “From Fin de Siecle to Vichy: The Cultural Hygienics of Camille (Faust) Mauclair,” Romy Golan, “Vampires, Viruses, and Lucien Rebatet: Anti-Semitic Art Criticism During Vichy,” Michele C. Cone, “El Lissitzky’s ‘Interchange Stations’: The Letter and the Spirit,” Judith Glatzer Wechsler, “The Jew in Sartre’s ‘Reflexions sur la question juive.’ An Excercise in Historical Reading,” Susan Rubin Suleiman, “I.AM.A”: Addressing the Jewish Question in Joyce’s ‘Ulysses,'” Steven Connor, “Assimilation, Entertainment, and the Hollywood Solution,” Claire Pajaczkowska and Barry Curtis, “‘A Little Child Shall Lead Them’: The Jewish Family Romance,” Marshall Berman, “Parvenu or Palimsest: Some Tracings of the Jew in Modern France,” Adrian Rifkin, “The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum: Memory and the Politics of Identity,” James E. Young (267323) $10.00
52. Ofek Ruthi curator. E. M. Lilien. The First Zionist Artist. Letters, Etchings, Drawings, Photographs. Tel Aviv: Open Museum, 1997. 184 + 163 pp. In English and Hebrew ex library with pocket. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272374) $40.00
53. Olin Margaret. The Nation without Art Examining Modern Discourses on Jewish Art. Nebraska, 2001. 275 pp. Seven essays in three categories Defining Jewish Art Reclaiming Jewish Art and Abstaining from Jewish art includes Martin Buber: Jewish Art as Visual Redemption. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271365) $12.00
54. Omar, Abed Al-Samih Abu. Traditional Palestinian Embroidery and Jewelry. self, 2005. 144 pp. filled with color illustrations. Very Good. Hardcover . (262549) $9.00
55. Ozick Cynthia. Ink and Inkling: Mark Podwall, Master of the True Line. Mt Holyoke College, 1990. 40 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272573) $15.00
56. The paintings of Moritz Oppenheim Jewish LIfe in 19th Century Germany. Jewish Museum, 1981. 6 page foldout of exhibit. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263451) $16.00
57. Perry-Lehmann, Meira. Pins: Woodcuts, 1942 – 2000. Israel Museum, 2000. 126 pp. exhibition catalog Text in English and Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272551) $20.00
58. Ranc Robert preface de. Abram Krol De Livre En Livre MCMLXI-MCMLXV. Ecole Estienne, 1966. 49 pp. tears to covers slight stain beautiful work bu French Jewish artist. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271329) $50.00
59. Rosenfeld Gavriel. Building After Auschwitz Jewish Architecture and the Memory of the Holocaust. Yale, 2011. 437 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (261221) $20.00
60. Rubin Carmela. Sionah Tagger: Retrospective. Tel Aviv Museum, 2003. 180 pp. with color plates in Hebrew and English. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
One of the founding generations of Israeli artists (271197) $28.00
61. Sabar Shalom editor. A Crown for a King: Studies in Jewish Art, History, and Archaeology in Memory of Stephen S. Kayser. Gefen, 2000. 217 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271356) $16.00
62. Sachs Angeli editor. Jewish Identity in Contemporary Architecture/Judische Identitat in Der Zeitgenossischen Architektur. Prestel, 2004. 175 pp. large 8vo filled with signifigant essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (271360) $23.00
63. Scharf Isiu. Isiu Scharf: Motives and Figures from Yiddish Literature; Demuyot u-motivim min ha-sifrut ha-yidit : dapim grafiyim. Tel Aviv: 1969. 11 of 16 plates insprired graphics wonderful black and white images in slipcase wear and tear to spine. Good. cardboard. (271305) $55.00
64. Schor Mira curator. Abstract Marriage Sculpture by Ilya Schor and Resia Schor. Provincetown Art Association, 2013. 51 pp. includes several essays and images of their work and full color plates, inspired and magnificent work and homage. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269402) $30.00
65. Schwab, Walter (editor). Jewish Artists: The Ben Uri Collection. London: Ben Uri Art Society, 1994. A catalogue of works by Jewish artists and of Jewish interest in the possession of the Ben Uri Art Society. London. 8vo 160 pp. new. Stiff Wrapper. (263457) $15.00
66. Schwarz K. Modern Jewish art In Palestine with 130 illustrations and an appendix containing the biographies of the Palestinian Artists. Jerusalem: Mass, 1941. 176 pp. In Hebrew ex library with book plate taped spine reading copy. Good-. Hardcover . (272373) $40.00
67. Schwebel (Fox Evrett introduction). David’s Journey. From the Books of Samuel and Kings. Yeshiva University/Stabilized Chaos Press, 1997. 43+141 pages Israeli artist, slight library mark title page. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Inaugural exhibit (271893) $25.00
68. Schwebel Ivan. Schwebel: Jerusalem – Tel Aviv. Jerusalem: Aviva, 1989. 224 pages : chiefly illustrations (some color) Important Israeli Artist. Very Good-. Paperback. (263454) $26.00
69. The Sculpture & Drawing of Elie Nadelman 1882-1946. Whitney, 1975. 118 pp. filled with illustrations. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (263730) $17.00
70. Sed- Rajna, Gabrielle. L’Art Juif. Presses Universitaires, 1985. 124 pp. small paperback. Very Good-. Paperback. (272557) $12.00
71. Sed-Rajna Gabrielle Ziva Amishai-Maisels; Bernard Wooding; Sara Friedman. Jewish Art. ABrams, 1997. folio. pp. 635.pp. 795 illus. (272 colour). massive tome reinforced hinges, small remainder mark on lower fore edge. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271339) $84.00
72. Seder sefirat ha-ȯmer : facsimile of an Omer calendar from Italy, c. 1800 (Mic. 4105). JTS, 1990. 110 pp. black and white illsutration to augment the dates, In Hebrew small volume. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272575) $45.00
73. Semin Dedier. Christian Boltanski. London: Phaidon, 1999. 160 pp. Very Good. stiff wrapper.
Articles, essays, and interviews with Boltanski. Also filled with his work. Extensive art concerning the Shoah. (269450) $35.00
74. Sentry Lodge B’nai B’rith. We Bear Witness; A tribute by Americans to the Contributions of the Jew in America. Domesday, 1945. 65 pp. cover worn ex library with markings , the Lodge describes contributions it made to the War effort. Good. Cloth.
Tributes by famous Americans including Geroge Washington, Calvin Coolidge, Mark Twain, etc. (253874) $15.00
75. Shachar Isaiah. Jewish Tradition in Art: The Feuchtwanger Collection of Judaica. jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1981. 340 pp., in Hebrew and English. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Lists and descriptions of Jewish ceremonial art objects and especially amulets with photos. Beautiful collection (260336) $56.00
76. Shadur, Joseph. Traditional Jewish Papercuts. An Inner World of Art and Symbol. UPNE, 2002. 263 pp. Classic work. very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272579) $30.00
77. Shilo-Cohen, Nurit. Bezalel: 1906-1929. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1983. 8vo 390 pp.dj very worn book plate writing on half title, In conjunction with exhibition, exhaustive study of the work of Boris Schatz and the art school in Jerusalem. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (269298) $40.00
78. Simon Schama. Rembrandt’s Eyes. Knopf, 1999. 750 pp dj creased.Magnificent tour de force. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272576) $26.00
79. Sorek Ronit curator. The Divine Image: Depicting God in Jewish and Israeli Art. Israel Museum, 2006. 58 + 69 pp, In Hebrew and English. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (256788) $15.00
80. Soussloff Catherine (editor). Jewish Identity in Modern Art History. Berkeley: Univ. fo Calif, 1999. 240 pp. new. Paperback.
Ten essays on Bezalel, Liebermann, Aby Warburg, Clement Greenberg, Meyer Schapiro, etc. (272559) $15.00
81. Steven Fine, Vivian B. Mann, Margaret Olin, Editors. Images: a Journal of Jewish Art and Visual Culture; Volume 4. Brill, 2010. 138 pp. masthead page appears three time. Very Good +. Paperback.
Yearly publication (271291) $36.00
82. Steven Fine, Vivian B. Mann, Margaret Olin, Editors. Images: a Journal of Jewish Art and Visual Culture Volume 3; The Vivian Mann Festschrift. Brill, 2009. 151 pp. bottom corner bumped. Good +. Paperback.
Yearly publication (271292) $32.00
83. Sussman Varda. Ornamented Jewish oil-lamps from the destruction of the Second Temple through the Bar-Kokhba revolt. In Hebrew. Mosad Byaliḳ, 1972. 145 pp. In Hebrew ex library with markings and plate and number n spine. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272401) $25.00
84. Volavkova Hana. The Synagogue Treasures of Bohemia and Moravia. Prague: Sfinx, 1949. 97 pages of plates + 38 pp. very good dj. Good +. cloth. (218689) $25.00
85. Winter Irene. Ingathering: Ceremony and Tradition in New York Public Collections. Jewish Museum, 1969. lists 257 objects about 35 pp. slight tear to front cover. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271393) $15.00
86. Wolf Connie. Daniel Libeskind and The Contemporary Jewish Museum: New Jewish Architecture from Berlin to San Francisco. Rizzoli, 2008. 124 pp. large 8vo filled with glossy photos. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Contributions from Faniel Liebeskind, Mitchell Schwarzer and James Young (267687) $15.00
87. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica : The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art: Volume 1; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2005. Magnificent new periodical. Articles: Figural Art in Ancient Judaism by Lee Levine; Toward a Semiotic Approach to Jewish Art by Avigdor Poseq; The Meaning of the Zodiac in Synagogues…by Mira Friedman; Dragons: A Symbol of Evil in European Synagogue Decoration? by Ilia Rodov; Gallico’s Identity Exposed: Revealing an Erased Colophon from a Renaissance Prayer Book by Evelyn Cohen; Discovering the Floersheim Haggadah by Yael Zirlin; Art and Early Zionist Movement: Controversy and Discord by Avram Kampf; Chagall’s Fiddler by Mirjam Rajner; Arnold Schoenberg’s Self portraits…by Milly Heyd; An Early Torah Pointer from Afghanistan by Shaul Shaked and Ruth Jacoby. Followed by book reviews and memoriams. Condition new. Paperback. (271295) $30.00
88. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica : The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art: Volume 8; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2012. 164 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (261171) $40.00
89. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica : The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art: Volume 9; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2013. 142 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (261174) $40.00
90. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica, Volume 5: The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2009. 145 pp. bottom corners bumped. Condition new. Paperback. (257000) $30.00
91. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica, Volume 7 The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 201`. 160 pp. Condition new. Paperback. (261172) $30.00
92. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica: The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art: Volume 2; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2006. fourteen essays 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271293) $68.00
93. Yaniv, Bracha (editor). Ars Judaica: The Bar-Ilan Journal of Jewish Art: Volume 3; The Michael J. Floersheim Memorial for Jewish Art. Ramat Gan, Israel: Bar Ilan University, 2007. Six essays 128 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271294) $65.00
94. Yerushalmi, Yosef. Haggadah and History: A Panorama in Facsimile of Five Centuries of the Printed Haggadah. Philadelphia: JPS, 1975. 495 pp. dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Two hundred plates. Includes the Shoah. (260339) $20.00
95. Young James. At Memory’s Edge: After Images of the Holocaust in Contemporary Art and Architecture. New Haven: Yale, April 2000. 256 pp.slight pen markings, foxing to top edge. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Explores Germany’s memorial crisis and how can contemporary artists remember the Holocaust, which they never knew. (269601) $10.00
96. Zeldis-Mcdonough, Yona; Zeldis, Malcah. Moments in Jewish Life: The Folk Art of Malcah Zeldis. Friedman, 1996. 91 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Remembering the shtetls of Eastern Europe in tradition of Grandma Moses (271533) $15.00
97. Zionism. Yediot Iriat Tel Aviv No 1 and 2. Tel Aviv: Oct Nov 1932. Monthly newsleteer , few pages slight staining not affecting text 37 pp. + 31-56 plus mimeograph of 8 pp of statistics that details the workers their backgrounds, tables concerning the labor, the contractors names and number of workers and projects . Good +. Boards. (269817) $85.00
This catalog is issued in honor and in memory of my late wife, Hanna Jane Trigère. Her life was filled with creating beauty in the world and hiddur mitzvah. Some of her work can be seen below, and additional art, writings, and videos can be viewed at her website, www.JaneTrigere.com.
May her memory be for a blessing, and may it inspire us to make this a more beautiful and compassionate world.
Wishing you all a joyous Pesach.
1. 12 tsayare Yisra’el: twelve Israeli painters. Lion, 1965. . Large quarto sized paper portfolio with one color pastedown illustration on the front of the portfolio, twelve color plates in paper frames library mark on title page . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Artists whose works are included are Mordechai Avniel, Margot L. Aschheim, Shaul Ohaly, Mordechai Ardon, Nahum Gutman, Shraga Weil, Shmuel katz, Jona Mach, Shalom Sebba, Esther Peretz-Arad, Joseph Kossonogi and Ruth Schloss. (271917) $19.00
2. Aharonson Meir. הביאנלה לפיסול – עין–הוד 1990 : הטבע בנה לנו מוזיאון : פיסול במימד אנושי /; Sculpture Biennale of Ein Hod, 1990″ Nature has built us a Museum Sculpture in a human dimension. Ein Hod, 1990. 84 pp. exhibition catalog and essay, ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272560) $27.00
3. Altshuler, David (editor). The Precious Legacy: Judaic Treasures from the Czechoslovak State Collections. NY: Summit Books, 1983. From the repository of historic artifacts, artistic rarities, cultural memories-document Czech Jewry life. 287 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (272578) $15.00
4. Anna Ticho : [exhibition]. Israel Museum I.M. Cohen Graphic Gallery, 1968. 15 pp in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272088) $25.00
5. Apter-Gabriel, Ruth (editor). Tradition and Revolution: The Jewish Renaissance in Russian Avant Garde Art 1912-1928. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1988. second. 8vo 262 pp. Very Good. paperback. (261333) $65.00
6. (Architecture) Gruber Sam. American Synagogues A Century of Architecture and Jewish Community. Rizzoli, 2007. 239 pp. beautifil photos and text concerning development of the movement, ex libary with markings. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (256567) $25.00
7. (Architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Architecture-Periods and Styles; Arab Buildings Outside the Old City Walls. Jerusalem: Keter, 1985. 474pp, In Hebrew, filled with pictures and text. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (268107) $45.00
8. (architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Openings Gates Doors Windows and Grills. Tel Aviv: Zmora, 1984. 278 pp, In Hebrew, filled with pictures and text. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (267692) $36.00
9. (Architecture) Kadish Sharman. Jewish Heritage in England: An Architectural Guide. English Heritage, 2006. 212 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271376) $16.00
10. (Architecture) Kessler Katrin editor. Jewish Architecture – New Sources and Approaches. Schriften der Bet Tfila–Forschungsstelle fur judische Architektur in Europa, Band 8. Imhof, 2015. 158 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271913) $27.00
11. (Architecture) Krinsky, Carol Herselle. Synagogues of Europe; Architecture * History * Meaning. NY: MIT Press, 1985. 457pp. Large 8vo. bookplate sfep dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Monumental work. Basic for study of European synagogues. (266349) $20.00
12. (Architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Architecture-Periods and Styles; European Christian Buildings Outside the Old City Walls. Keter, 1987. 504pp, in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (268106) $55.00
13. (Architecture) Rathjens, Carl. Jewish Domestic Architecture in San’a, Yemen. The Israel Oriental Society,, 1957. 80 pp. ex library with markings, reading copy black and white photographs and drawings. Good-. library binding.
“Among the subjects which attracted his (Rathjens) inquisitive mind was the Jewish community of Yemen, groups of which then were found all over the Yemenite Highland. While in San’a, the capital of Yemen, he often visited the Jewish quarter, which originally had been a town by itself, lying about two kilometers west of the Old City. He soon discovered that, in ground plan and architecture, the houses in the Jewish quarter were essentially different from the Muslim houses and set out to study that interesting phenomenon in detail.” (S.D. Goitein in his preface). (272375) $85.00
14. (Architecture) Schwarz Hans Peter (hrsg). Die Architektur der Synagoge. Deutsches Architekturmuseum,, 1988. 446 pp. exhibition catalog with essays, large 8vo. Many of the synagogues were destroyed by the Nazis. Very Good. Paperback. (265618) $30.00
15. (Architecture) Siry Joseph. Beth Sholom Synagogue: Frank Lloyd Wright and Modern Religious Architecture. Chicago, 2011. 705 pp. back corner bumped. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271288) $38.00
16. (Architecture) Solomon Susan. Louis I. Kahn’s Jewish Architecture: Mikveh Israel and the Midcentury American Synagogue. Brandeis, 2009. 214 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271318) $18.00
17. (Architecture) Wischnitzer, Rachel. The Architecture of the European Synagogue. Phil: JPS, 1964. oblong 8vo 312 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (259962) $20.00
18. Aronson David Biemann, Asher D. David Aronson: Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture. Pucker, 2004. 174pp., illustrated throughout in color, some black and white. essay. catalogue raisonne of the sculpture. comprehensive monograph. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
As an immigrant artist of Jewish background, borrowing freely from Christology, Jewish, mystical, and modernist motifs, David Aronson has been an equally acclaimed controversial figure in the Boston Expressionist school and beyond. (271200) $45.00
19. Baigell, Matthew. American Artists Jewish Images. Syracuse, 2006. 271 pp. sfep. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (260677) $27.00
20. Baigell, Matthew. Artists and and Identity in Twentieth Century America. Cambridge University Press, 2001. 294 pp. new. Paperback. (271353) $12.00
21. Baigell, Matthew. Jewish-American Artists and the Holocaust. New Brunswick: Rutgers, 1997. 8vo 139 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (242873) $12.00
22. Baskin Leonard preface. Hyman Bloom. Chameleon Book, 1996. 126 pp. text and color plates. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271319) $25.00
23. Baskin: sculpture, drawings & prints. Braziller, 1970. dj very torn and worn library mark tp and on foreedge. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271916) $27.00
24. Bedoire Frank. The Jewish Contribution to Modern Architecture, 1830-1930. Ktav, 2004. 518 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (253498) $58.00
25. Belasco Daniel. Reinventing Ritual: Contemporary Art and Design for Jewish Life. Yale/Jewish Museum, 2009. 137 pp.four essays and exhibition catalog. Very Good. Hardcover . (272558) $20.00
26. Ben-Ami Alia. In All Their Finery: Jewels from the Jewish World. Jewish Museum, 2002. 70 pp. color plates with 29 pieces profiled . Very Good. spiral bound. (256329) $18.00
27. Ben-Zvi, Asaf. Forgetting almost everything : recipient of the Rappaport Prize for an established Israeli painter, Li-shekoah ki-meat et ha-kol. Tel Aviv Museum, 2011. 230 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper.
Essay by Anat Danon Sivan. (272072) $35.00
28. Benjamin Chana. Reflections on the Holocaust: Works by Holocaust Survivors, Family Members and friends. NY: New Century Artists, 2001. Exhibition catalog. 50 pp. new. wrapper. (264852) $20.00
29. Benjamin Chaya (curator)Landau S. Architecture in the Hanukkah Lamp; Architectural Forms in the Design of Hanukkah Lamps from the Collection of Hanukkah Lamps at the Israel Museum. Israel Museum, 1978. 19 + 58 double pages, bottom corner bumped. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (256189) $25.00
30. Benjamin Chaya. North African Lights: Hanukkah Lamps from the Zeyde Schulmann Collection in the Israel Museum. Israel Museum, 2003. 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Articles are “Zeyde Schulmann (1890-1981): The Life and Travels of the Collector,” Chaya Benjamin, “‘Mrs. Hanukkah and Mr. Purim Quarrel’: A Poetic Dispute from Morocco,” Joseph Chetrit, and “Hanukkah Lamps from North Africe,” Chaya Benjamin. (269321) $15.00
31. Benjamin Chaya. The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art. Israel Museum, 1987. 462+ 41 pages, Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
This extraordinary catalog of the 1987 exhibition of the Stieglitz collection in the Israel Museum shows 281 b&w and color photographs of the exhibits. Beautiful work. (267688) $95.00
32. Berger Max Sammlung. Judentum in Wien Heiliege Gemeinde Wien. Hisotrisches Museum Wien, 1987. 258 pp. filled with many essays and color and black and white illustrations of ritual objects. Good +. Paperback. (256338) $36.00
33. Bernstein, M. \ Kolb, E. [Introduction]. Jewish Faces. Yavneh, 1958. 12 drawings very inspired capturing various aspects of being Jewish in profiles , folio. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271302) $65.00
34. Bibliotheca rosenthaliana. Bibliotheque de l’Universite (Amsterdam), 1958. 12 pp.examples of the holdings with illustrations library marks with pocket. Good. Wrapper. (272429) $15.00
35. Braunstein Susan . Five Centuries of Hanukkah Lamps From the Jewish Museum: A Catalogue Raisonné. The Jewish Museum New York under the auspices of the Jewish Theological Seminary Yale, 2004. 403 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
In a grey cloth covered slip case with a color pastedown image on one cover Foreword by Joan Rosenbaum. The two main sections of the book are “Highlights from the Collection,” which is all in color and “Additional Lamps in the Collection,” which are illustrated with very well shop b/w images. This is meant to be a definitive book on the Jewish Museum’s Hanukkah Lamp collection which is certainly one of the best in the world (271392)
36. Brettman Estelle. Vaults of Memory Jewish and Christian Imagery in the Catacombs of Rome; an exhibition. International Catacomb, 1985. 40 pp.+ plates ex library with pocket and book plate, cover corner vry creased and pages bottom creased. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272562) $26.00
37. Carelman, Jacques. Objets Introuvables. Israel Museum, 1977. 18 pp. filled with whimsical objects In Hebrew and English. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272574) $15.00
38. Chamson Andre. Glicenstein. Paris: Petit Palais, 1948. 7 pp+ 9 illustrations .ex library with pocket . Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272542) $25.00
39. Cohen Elisheva curator. Moritz Oppenheim: The First Jewish Painter. Israel Museum, 1983. 91 + 61 pp. In English and Hebrew, back cover creased. Good +. Paperback. (260442) $32.00
40. Cohen Richard. Jewish Icons: Art and Society in Modern Europe. California, 1998. 358 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271357) $36.00
41. Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland Dokumentation zur Ausstellung. Michael Imhof, 2008. 272 pp. bottom corner bumped rebuilding of destroyed synagogues. Very Good. Hardcover . (270420) $75.00
42. Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland vom Barock zum ‘Neuen Bauen” Dokumentation und Ausstellung. Niedersach, 2000. 104 pp. slight stains to back cover . Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270421) $36.00
43. Cusin Silvio. Art in the Jewish Tradition. Adei Wizo, 1963. 146 pp., b/w photos and tipped-in color plate dj torn beautiful images. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (260694) $25.00
44. Danon-Sivan Anat exhibition curator. Ben Zvi Asaf Forgetting Almost Everything; Li-shekoah kimat et ha-kol. Tel Aviv Museum of Art, 2012. 230 pp. In Hebrew and English, with three essays about Ben Zvi’s work . Very Good. Hardcover .
Recipient of the Rappaport Prize for an established Israei painter, 2011 (260266) $68.00
45. Deitsch Elka et al (curator). From This World to the Next Jewish Approaches to Illness Death and the Afterlife. JTS, 1999. 120 pp. filled with images. Very Good. Paperback. (271396) $20.00
46. Durrieu Paul. Les Antiquities Judaiqes et le peintre Jean Foucquet. Paris: Plon-Nourrit, 1908. 125 pages with 25 planches en heliogravure et de 2 planches en phototype, occasional slight stains to tp and few pages interleaved loose folio unbound. Two plates have stains not affecting picture wrapper cover has emblem portrait plates easily removed and work can be bound also. Good. Stiff Wrapper. 250 (260189) $275.00
47. E.M. Lilien Sein Werk mit einer Einleitung von Stefan Zweig. Berlin: Schuster, 1903. 350 pp. new spine with title, original boards,, new endpapers, back cover slight wear original binding with staples faulty so evidence of staple markings on title page and illustrated page before it, internally images in good shape, paper quality good, some slight stains to pages but not affecting images. Good. Boards.
All images present from various books Jewish and non Jewish and book paltes and borders. Tear to page of Probierstube der Grazien slightly onto the image, tears to Stefan Zweig page and Trauerlied not affecting image, a few other slight tears to pages. (271290) $525.00
48. Eis Ruth. Hanukkah Lamps of the Judah L. Magnes Museum. Magnes, 1977. 134 pp. filled with illustrations. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (263478) $25.00
49. Eis Ruth. Torah Binders of the Judah Magnes Museum. Berkeley: Magnes Museum, 1979. 80 pages on wimpels. Very good. Stiff Wrapper.
Torah binders or wimpels are textiles made from the cloth which covers the new-born male during the circumcision ceremony. These cloths were cut into narrow pieces and embroidered with an announcement of the birth and with an assortment of decorations and elaborate designs. They were then used to tie the Torah before being returned to the Ark. The wimpel was primarily a German Jewish custom.. (231060) $12.00
50. Epstein, Shifra ( guest curator). Purim: The Face and the Mask: Essays and a Catalogue of an Exhibit. NY: Yeshiva Univ., 1979. 86 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Essay by Toby Blum-Dobkin on The Landsberg Carnival: Purim in a Displaced Persons Center. (256236) $25.00
51. Feldman Arthur remarks by. Jewish Artists of the Twentieth Century. Spertus, 1976. 63 items about 20 pp ex library with markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272400) $15.00
52. Felton Anton. Jewish Carpets. Antique Collectors Club, 2006. 198 pp. ex library with markings and book plate and pocket. Good. Hardcover . (272378) $36.00
53. Figueras, Paul. Decorated Jewish Ossuaries. Leiden: Brill, 1983. 37 Plates. 122 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (256355) $40.00
54. Fishof, Iris, Curator. From the Secular to the Sacred: Everyday Objects in Jewish Ritual Use Ma’alin ba-kodesh: shimush sheni be-omanut Yehudit. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1985. Exhibition catalog. 8vo 108 pp. good. wrapper. (271394) $30.00
55. Freundlich August (signed by Gropper). William Gropper: Retrospective. Ward Ritchie, 1968. 128 pp. dj very torn , inscribed by Gropper and with a small pen drawing of a face. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Filled with drawings. (258796) $85.00
56. Friedman Maurice. A Covenant of Peace A Witness by MF. Sowers, 1965. 30 pp. Pendle Hill publication sfep. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271322) $23.00
57. Galeryah Safrai (Jerusalem); Brandeis University. Library. Young and old masters of Israel. Pucker Brandeis, 1967. 29 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272531) $24.00
58. Gamzu Haim intro. Anna Ticho Jerusalem Landscapes. Tel Aviv Museum, 1974. 15 pp ex library with pocket and book plate in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog with 6 black and white images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272566) $20.00
59. Gamzu Haim intro. Uri Lifshitz. Paintings Drawings Etchings. Tel Aviv Museum, 1974. 15 pp ex library with pocket and book plate in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog with 6 black and white images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272567) $24.00
60. Gamzu Haim . Mordecai Ardon : [spring-summer 1963]. Various Museums , 1963. 56 pp,In English and Hebrew, slight library marks and pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“The exhibition will be shown at the following Museums: Museum of Modern Art, Haifa Municipality, Museum Tel-Aviv, Museum of Art, Ein Harod, The Bezalel National Museum, Jerusalem”–Title page verso. (272417) $30.00
61. George Segal Retrospective Sculptures Paintings Drawings. Hirschorn, 1998. text and images about eight pages of exhibit catalog 6 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263679) $18.00
62. Gilbert Barbara (curator). Henry Mosler Rediscovered; A Nineteenth Century American Jewish Artist. Skirball, 1995. 142 pages essays and color reproductions. Very good. Wrapper. (259822) $20.00
63. Goberman, David; Pinsky, Robert (intro). Carved Memories; Heritage in Stone from the Russian Jewish Pale. NY: Rizzoli, 2000. 167 pp. Very Good. Decorated Boards.
Photos of cemetery stones and text. (270398) $30.00
64. Goldman Paul (Arad Shlomo curator). Press Photographer 1943-1961. Tel Aviv: Eretz Israel Museum, 2004. 121 pages of photos with English and Hebrew text and 23 pages of introduction in English, exhibit came to HUC in NY in 2006, contains photos of survivors arriving in Palestine and Jewish troops returning to Palestine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The Forgotten Photographs: The Work of Paul Goldman from 1943 – 1961, from the collection of Spencer M. Partrich, is an exhibition displaying over 100 rare images documenting Eretz-Israel during the final years of the British Mandate and Israel’s struggle for survival during its first thirteen years. Goldman’s privileged access – as a British Army member and later as a journalist befriended by Israeli leaders – offered a front-row perspective of personal moments at a time of sweeping, historic change. (249683) $30.00
65. Gonen Rivka. Jerusalem Yesterday and Today: Drawings and Etchings from the Israel Museum Collection and Contemporary Photographs. Israel Museum, 1994. 35 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (260274) $23.00
66. Goodenough, Erwin. Jewish Symbols in the Greco-Roman Period: Thirteen Volumes. NY: Pantheon Books, 1960s. Bollingen Series:37. Classic study. Important reference. quarto 13 vols. -Vol 12 is the Summary and Conclusion and Vol 13 is the Index and Maps ex library with stamp on title page and pocket on back end paper. Good. cloth.
Please inquire re: shipping costs for heavy tomes (270775) $350.00
67. Goodman Susan curator. In the Shadow of Conflict. Israeli Art 1980-1989. Jewish Museum, 1989. 80 pp, exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (256314) $20.00
68. Goodman Susan. A World Of Their Own: Naive Artists From Israel. Jewish Museum, 1987. Includes six artists, Moshe Elnatan, Shalom of Safed, Shimshon Lemberger, et al. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition catalog (256307) $30.00
69. Goodman, Susan Tumarkin (editor). Russian Jewish Artists in a Century of Change 1890-1990. Munich: Prestel, 1996. Exhibition catalog. large 8vo 266 pp.with seven essays. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (267345) $20.00
70. Goodman, Susan. After Rabin; New Art from Israel. Jewish Museum, 1998. 112pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition catalog filled with photos and pictures. (256311) $18.00
71. Goodman, Susan. Artists of Israel: 1920-1980. Detroit: Wayne State, 1981. Exhibition at the Jewish Museum: Feb-Mar 1981 8vo 149 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (256310) $25.00
72. Grafman Rafi and Mann Vivian. Crowning Glory; Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum. NY: Jewish Musueum, 1996. First edition. Magnificent volume contains over eight hundred duotone illustartions and thirty three plates in color describes the nearly one thousand Torah ornaments in the Museum’s holding.large 8vo 398 pages . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (269950) $30.00
73. Graphic art in Israel today; Hedpes ha-omanuti be-Yisraʼel ka-yom. Tel Aviv Museum, 1973. 24 pp.+ plates ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The exhibition is organized as part of the celebrations marking Israel’s 25th anniversary (272561) $26.00
74. Grobman Yasha. Moments Trajectories in the Architecture of the Tel Aviv Museum. TAM, 2011. 171 + E83 In Hebrew and English, filled with scholarly articles. Very Good. Paperback. (270292) $65.00
75. Gross, Chaim; Tarbell, Roberta. Sixty Years of Sculpture: A Memorial Exhibition [+ Retrospective Exhibition]; TWO exhibition catalogs. New York: Forum Gallery [Jewish Museum], 1994 . Two beautiful exhibition catalogs, documenting the major exhibitions of a major artist. The first, a textured decorative wrapper, has 40pp. with many b/w illustrations. The second, a large glossy wrapper, has 24 beautiful full-page, full-color plates. Both have introductions by Tarbell, whose intimate knowledge of Gross’ work situates it in the context of his life and times. Very Good. (263644) $35.00
76. Grossman Grace text. The Maurice Spertus Museum of Judaica an illustrated catalog of selected objects. Spertus, 1974. 100 pp ex library with markings. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271481) $35.00
77. Grossman, Cissy. A Temple Treasury: The Judaica Collection of Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York. NY: Hudson Hills Press, 1989. oblong 8vo 198 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Magnificent work containing mark examples of Jewish ritual objects and art. (269951) $20.00
78. Grunberg Maty (Rosensaft Jean Bloch editor). Selected Works 1966-2006. New York: HUC-JIR Museum, 2006. 150 pp multi media Israeli artist, exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Includes essays by Laura Kruger and Dalia Manor and Susan Turmarkin Goodman (269590) $20.00
79. Gutmann, Joseph ( editor). No Graven Images: Studies in Art and the Hebrew Bible. NY: KTAV, 1971. 599 pp. twenty seven essays, spine worn, hinge started bookplate and sfep. Very Good. Cloth. (267317) $45.00
80. Gutmann, Joseph. Beauty in Holiness; Studies in Jewish Customs and Ceremonial Art. KTAV, 1970. 513 pp. Good +. Hardcover .
Twenty-one essays. superb collection. (271315) $36.00
81. Hallo, Dr. Rudolf. Judische Kunst Aus Hessen und Nassau. Berlin: Soncino Gesellschaft der Freunde des Jüdischen Buches,, 1933. 39 pages of text with 5 mounted in-text b/w photographic reproductions, followed by 33 pages of b/w reproductions of photographs of various Jewish ornaments (120 plates), ex library with markings and taped spine. Good +. Stiff Wrapper.
Beautiful homage, retrospectively tragic, to the flourishing Jewish religious/cultural life as revealed in the religious objects and textiles and books. (272399) $65.00
82. Helzel Florence. Shtetl Life; The Nathan and Faye Hurwitz Collection. Magnes Museum, 1993. 155 pp. A sense of Jewish life in Europe before the Shoah. Good +. Wrapper.
Jewish artists graphic representation fo the shtetl with commentary by Steve Zipperstein. Forty artists’ work represented. (260114) $10.00
83. Herskowitz, Sylvia. Aishet Hayil. NY: Yeshiva Univ.ersity Museum, 1993. Exhibition catalogue. 12mo 60 pp. 32 artists chose a line from the rxalted extolling poem and created an art work. new. stiff wrapper. (272183) $18.00
84. Hoffberg, Judith (curator). Women of the Book: Jewish Artists Jewish Themes. Miami: Florida Atlantic Univ., 2001. 95 pp. new. wrapper.
Magnificent exhibition catalog of books,drawings,works on paper,collages,photos by contemporary Jewish women artists. (260151) $20.00
85. Holstein Jurgen editor. The Book Cover in the Weimar Republic Buchumschläge in Der Weimarer Republik. Taschen, 2015. 450 pp.In German and English massive work, heavy tome, filled with wonderful illustrations and text …many of the artists and publishers fled Nazi Germany for exile. Important reference work . Very Good. Hardcover . (271303) $60.00
86. Hurwitz Sidney Introduction by. 50 Drawings. Hebrew Teachers College, 1950s?. Portfolio of fifty drawings mostly by Jewish artists, magnificent, few corners slight wear not affectng images slight library mark covers that are ton. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Portfolio with reproductions of fifty drawings by fifty painters, sculptors and print-makers: S.Abeles, J.Ablow, H.Altman, D.Aronson, L.Baskin, J.Berger, R.Birmelin, E.Bischoff, I.Bishop, H.Bloom, H.Breverman, A.Bryan, Ch.Cajori, L.Cohen, J.Coughlin, E.Dickinson, K.Fortess, Ph.Grausman, P.Grippe, Chaim Gross, Sidney Hurwitz, N.Jacobson, R.Kay, R.Kowalke, J.Kramer, J.Levine, L.Lillie, M.Mazur, J.McGarrell, C.Metcalf, P.Milton, W.Murch, Ph.Pearlstein, M.Pineda, A.Polonsky, A.Poor, H.V.Poor, G.Prestopino, D.Ratner, J.Reopel, H.Schwartz, J.Shahn, Ben Shahn, M.Siporin, R.Soyer, B.Swan, H.Tovish, S.Trefonides, J.Wilson, M.Zabarsky. (271296) $75.00
87. Illustrated Haggadot of The Eighteenth Century. Israel Musuem, 1983. 109 pp. slight foxing to end paper exhibit catalog. Good +. Wrapper. (268839) $15.00
88. Images: a Journal of Jewish Art and Visual Culture; Volume 2. Brill, 2008. 120 pp. slight wear to bottom edge. bottom corner slightly bumped. Very Good +. Paperback.
Yearly publication (262630) $36.00
89. Incunabula Hebraica and Judaica Five Centuries of Hebraica and Judaica.from the Jacob Lowy Collection Exhibition Catalogue. National Library of Canada, 1981. Exhibition catalog 18 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270911) $15.00
90. Israeli Yael Avida Uri. Oil Lamps from Eretz Israel: The Louis and Carmen Warschaw Collection In Hebrew; Nerot heres me Erets Yisrael: Osef Luis ve Karmen Varshau. Senitel, 1961. 206 pp. In Hebrew ex library with book plate and pocket. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272413) $25.00
91. Israeli Yael. In the Light of the Menorah: Story of a Symbol. Israel Museum, 1999. 212 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Articles include “Menorah and Olive Branches: The Design Process of the National Emblem of the State of Israel,” Alec Meshori, “‘Knob and Flower’ in the Design of the Menorah,” Nogah Hareuveni, “The Menorah of the First and Second Temple Periods in Light of Literary Sources and Archaeological Finds, “Rachal HaChlili and Rivka Merhav, ” Between Jerusalem and Rome: The History of the Base of the Menorah as Depicted on the Arch of Titus,” Daniel Sperber, “The Menorah as a Messianic Symbol in Antiquity,” Dan Barag, “Identity and Hope: The Menorah in the jewish Catacombs of Rome,” lili Habas, “The Menorah in Illuminated Hebrew Manuscripts of the Middle Ages,” Bezalel Narkiss, “Promise of Redemption: Zechariah’s Vision of the Golden Menorah,” Rachel Sarfaty, “The Menorah in the Ancient Synagogue,” Lee Levine, “The Shadow of the Past or an Image of Theological Truth? The Menorah in Byzantine Illuminated Manuscripts,” Elisheva Revel-Neher, “The Menorah and the Cross: The Seven-Branch Candelabrum in the Church,” Bianca Kuhnel, “The Menorah in Renaissance Art,” Avraham Ronen, “Facinf the Menorah: Jewish Art in the Modern Era,” Isir Fischof, “Bina, the Eighth Sfirah: The Menorah in Kabbalah,” Moshe Idel (260335) $36.00
92. Italiener Bruno (hrsg). Die Darmstadter Pessach – Haggadah, codex orientalis 8 der Landesbibliothek zu Darmstadt aus dem vierzehnten Jahrhundert, herausgegeben und erläutert von Bruno Italiener, unter Mitwirkung von Aron Freimann, August L. Mayer und Adolf Schmidt; mit einer Gesamtbibliographie der illustrierten Haggadah. Verlag Karl W. Hiersemann, , 1927. 2 volumes. Vol. 1: Folio, unpaginated and is a lovely facsimile of a medieval illuminated Hebrew manuscript. Vol. 2: Octavo. 313 pp of German and Hebrew text reviewing and evaluating the manusript 16 plates with b/w facsimiles of manuscripts. With work by Aron Freimann and August Meyer and Gesamt Bibliothek Three-quarter leather over decorated paper-covered boards with gilt decorated spines. Crowns have slight tears Scuffing and age wear to leather and boards Number 234/350 issued Yaari 2064
Originating in the 13th century this manuscript was probably produced in the late 14th or early 15th century. The scribe Israel Ben Meir from Heidelberg signs his name in the colophon on folio 56v. (271650) $1,250.00
93. Jacob Pins Woodcuts. Boston Public Library, 1953. 10 pp. with text and images. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272552) $25.00
94. Jacques Lipschitz Sculptures and Drawings 1911-1970. Tel Aviv Museum, 1971. 108 pp. In Hebrew and English ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272571) $15.00
95. Jewish Art from the Hebrew Union College and other collections; A special exhibition in honor of the three hundredth anniversary of Jewish settlement in America. Greater Hartford Tercentary Committee and Wadsworth Atheneum, 1953. 21 pp. and 2 plates, exhibit catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271199) $16.00
96. (Jewish Art) Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Jewish Art. Volume Eighteen, 1992. Sepharad. Center for Jewish Art, 1992. 211 pp. Among essays includes are “Synagogues in Medieval Spain,” Yom-Tov Assi, “The Heikhal, Bimah, and Teivah in Sephardi Synagogues,” Bezalel Narkiss, “Excavations around the Samuel Halevi Synagogue (del Transito) in Toledo,” Santiago Palomera Plaza, Ana Maria Lopez Alvarez, Yasmina Alvarez Delgado, “Samuel Halevi Abulafia’s Synagogue (El Transito) in Toledo,” Esther W. Goldman, “The Small Elijah Chair,” Ruth Jacoby, “‘Purim of Saragossa’ and its Implications on the Method of Dressing the Torah Scroll,” Aiala Feller, “Are the Spanish Admiral Carpets Jewish?” Ita Aber, “A Bonanza of Spanish Jewish Pre-Expulsion Seals,” Daniel M. Freidenberg, “The Poblet Haggadah: An Unknown Fourteenth-Century Illuminates Sephardi Manuscript. Very Good. Hardcover . (270442) $36.00
97. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art Volume Nineteen Twenty 1993-1994. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1994. 222 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271278) $36.00
98. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art Volume Twenty-One/Twenty-Two 1995/96: Eastern Europe 1. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1995. 222 pp. Very Good. Hardcover
Concerns Chagall and Russian Jewish Art (271275) $30.00
99. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fifteen 1989. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1989. 138 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271276) $38.00
100. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fifteen 1989. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1989. 138 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271279) $38.00
101. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fourteen 1988. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1988. 107pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271280) $54.00
102. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Sixteen 1990-1991. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1991. 210 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Three Papercuts from Jerusalem,” Yehudit and Joseph shadur, “Some Characteristics of Moroccan Jewish Jewelry,” Andreas Gorzmann, “Giorgione’s ‘Trial of Moses’: A New Look,” Dalia Haitovsky, “Anton Raphael Mengs – Ein Künstler jüdischer Abstammung und das Papyruskabinett der Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana,” Christine Maria Grafinger, “Maurits Leon: The Making of a Jewish Artist,’ Christiaan Roosen, “Illustrating Jewish Lifestyles on Oppoosite Banks of the Rhine: Alphonese Levy’s Alsatian Peasants and Moritz Daiel Oppenheim’s Frankfurt Burghers,” Norman L. Kleeblatt, “Transcendentalism and Tradition: The Art of Solomon Nunes Carvalho,” Elisabeth Kessin Berman, “The Tables of the Law: One of the Symbols of the French Revolution,” Renee Neher-Bernheim, “Modern Jewish Artists in Hungary,” Ilona Pataky-Brestyanszky, “The Awakening of Jewish National Art in Russia,” Mirjam Rajner, “Freidl Remembered,” Lena Makarova, “R.B. Kitaj’s ‘The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg’: A Personal Metaphor,” Carol Salus, “The Hanging Carcass Motif and Jewish Artists,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Unwritten Message – Visual Commentary in Twentieth-Century Haggadah Illustrations,” Haya Friedberg, “The Kirschstein Museum of Berlin,” Joseph Gutmann, “Project and Exhibition: Herancas e Lembrancas: Jewish Immigrants in Rio de Janeiro, exhibition review,” Ayala Feller, “Book Review: ‘Ancient Jewish Art and Archaeology in the Land of Israel’ by Rachel Hachlili,” Marilyn J. Chiat. (271277) $54.00
103. (Jewish Art) Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Jewish Art. Volumes Twelve-Thirteen. 1986/87. For Bezalel Narkiss on his sixtieth birthday. Center for Jewish Art, 1987. 372 pp. In Slipcase. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271283) $40.00
104. (Jewish Art) Narkiss B. Journal of Jewish Art Volume Eight. Center for Jewish Art, 1981. 108 pp. bottom corners bumped. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271281) $15.00
105. (Jewish Art) Narkiss B. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Nine. 1982. Dedicated to Maurice Spertus on his eightieth birthday. Center for Jewish Art of the Hebrew University, 1982. 120 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271284) $18.00
106. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Eleven, 1985. This Volume of the Journal to Professor Rachel Wischnitzer on her hundredth birthday. Center for Jewish Art, 1985. 88 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“God’s House of Peace in Paradise: The Feast of Tabernacles on a Jewish Gold Glass,” Archer St. Clair, “The Four Sons of the Haggadah and the Ages of Man,” Mira Friedman, “Humilitas: On a Controversial Medal of Benjamin Son of Elijah Beer The Physician (1497?-1503?),” Samuel S. Kottek, “Simeon Solomon and the Song of Songs,” Steven Kolsteren, “Erich Goeritz and Jewish Art Patronage in Berlin during rhe 1920s,” Abraham Gilam, “Exhibition: On the Illuminations of the Hebrew Manuscripts in Parma,” Yael Zirlin, Giza Frankel, 1895-1984,” Olga Goldberg, “Helen Rosenau, 1900-1984,” Gordon Higgott. (271282) $18.00
107. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Five 1978. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1978. 116 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Orpheus-David: A Connection in Iconography between Greco-Roman Judaism and Early Christianity?” Paul Corbey Finney, “The Beit Alpha Synagogue Mosiac: Towards an Interpretation,” John Wilkinson, “Egyptian Bondage and Exodus in the Ashburnham Pentateuch,” Ursula Schubert, “Moses Sweetens the ‘Bitter Waters’ of the ‘Portable Well’: an Interpretation of a Panel at Dura-Europas Synagogue,” Jo Milgrom, “In Quest of Jewish Style in the Era of the Russian Revolution,” Avram Kampf, “Chagall’s Jewish in-Jokes,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “Icon Painting and Russian Popular Art as Sources of some Works by Chagall,” Mira Friedman. (257007) $32.00
108. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume One 1974. Chicago: Spertus, 1974. 96 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The Scheme of the Sanctuary from the Time of Herod the Great,” Narkiss, “Maimonides’ Drawings of the Temple,” Rachel Wischnitzer, “The Round-topped Tablets of the Law: Sacred Symbol and Emblem of Evil,” Ruth Mellinkoff, “Seven-Branched Candelabra in Christian Churches,” Peter Bloch, “Problemes d’Iconographie Judeo-Chretienne: La Theme de la Coiffure du Cohen Gadol dans l’Art Byzantin,” Elizabeth Revel-Neher, “A Stone of Remembrance,” Rochelle Weinstein, “Lipchitz and Picasso: Thematic Interpenetrations,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “What About Breastplates!” Guido Schoenberger (257010) $36.00
109. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Seven 1980. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1980. 118 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Synagogues and Churches in Byzantine Beit She’an,” Marilyn J. Chiat, “The Place of the London Haggadah in the Work of Joel ben Simeon,” Sheila Edmonds, “Italian Torah Binders,” Cissy Grossman, “The Jewish Artistic School of Kittsee,” Alexander Schreiber, “Notes on the Costume of the Jewish Woman in Eastern Europe,” Giza Frankel, “Lilien and Beardsley,” Milly Heyd, “The Second Generation in Israeli Architecture,” Michael D. Levin (257005) $30.00
110. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Six 1979. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1979. 168 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“From My Archives,” Rachel Wischnitzer, “Cain and the Jews,” Ruth Mellinkoff, “A Psalter from Mar Saba and the Evolution of the David Cycle,” Anthony Cutler, “The Illustrations of the Kaufmann ‘Mishneh Torah,'” Gabrielle Sed-Rajna, “The Foa Bible,” Michel Garel, “The Hirsch and Rothschild Hanukkah Lamps,” Nancy Berman, “The Synagogues of Surinam,” Günter Böhm, “Hector Guimard’s ‘Art Nouveau’ Synagogue in Paris,” Carol Herselle Krinsky, “Note on ‘Micrography: A Jewish Art Form,'” Leila Avrin, “Chagall’s Interpretation of the Song of Songs,” Daphna Rix, “From the Collector’s Cabinet: Une Plaque de Torah antique,” Victor Klagsbald, “Catalogue of Catalogues: Bibliographical Survey of a Century of Temporary Exhibitions of Jewish Art,” William L. Gross, “Rachel Wischnitzer: a Bibliography,” Rochelle Weinstein. (257006) $26.00
111. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Two. Chicago: Spertus, 1975. 96 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Toledo or Burgos?” Gabrielle Sed-Rajna, “The Rediscovery of the Wolf Haggadah,” Michel Garel, “A Group of Embroidered Cloths from Jerusalem,” Richard Barnett, “Little Known Handicrafts pf Polish Jews in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries,” Giza Frankel, “Ceramic Seder Plates From Non-Jewish Workshops,” David Davidovitch, “An Alleged Case of Image Desecration by the Jews and Its Representation in Art: The Virgin of Cambron,” Eric M. Zafren, “The Stones of Jerusalem,” Michael Levin, “The Cycle of Expulsion and Return: Mural by Yossel Bergner,”Avram Kampf. (257009) $30.00
112. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volumes Three and Four. Chicago: Spertus, 1977. 143 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“The Synagogues at Masada and Herodion,” Gideon Foerster, “Micrography: A Jewish Art Form,” Stanley Ferber, “Joel Ben Simeon’s Manuscripts: A Codicologer’s View,” Malachi Beit-Arie, “The Scuola Grande Tedesca in the Venice Ghetto,” David Cassuto, “Jonah, the Tower and the Lions: An Eighteenth Century Italian Silver Book Binding,” Hava lazar, “Jewish Weaving in Kurdistan,” Ora Schwartz, “Steinhardt’s Call for Peace,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “The Transformation of the Villa Savoye into the Jewish National Library: Le Corbusier’s Influence on Two Generations of Israeli Architects,” Michael Levin, “From the Collector’s Cabinet: Clay Lamps with Biblical Scenes,” Victor Klagsbald (257008) $36.00
1. Aldag Dr. Peter. Juden in England Juden beherrschen England; Band II. Berlin: Nordland, 1939. library stamp of Deutsche Rotes Kreuz, 390 pages, paper browning but not brittle. Good condition. Boards.
Nazi propaganda (271552) $25.00
2. American Joint Distribution Committee European Executive Offices. World Refugee Organizations A Guide to Relief and Reconstruction Activities for Refugees fron Germany. Paris: American Joint Distribution /Schoen Reprint, July 1937/ 2013. 122 pp. Amazing document with offices throughout the world especially Europe to receive the refugees, with addresses and names of officials, activities, charts of the Emigration of German Jews . Very Good. Perfect-bound.
This is a reprint of the scarce original. (271966) $25.00
3. Ayalti Hanan. The Presence is in Exile Too Collected Stories. Black Belt, 1997. 255 pp. Important Yiddish writer, the short stories chronicle the Jewish refugee’s experience of the 1930s and 1940s. Ayalti was imprisoned at Les Milles, got to Marseille then Uruguay and finally USA. Very Good. Hardcover . (267876) $32.00
4. Baigell, Matthew introduction . Artists against War and Fascism: Papers of the First American Artists’ Congress. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1986. 310 pp. new. cloth.
Congress existed from 1935 to 1942 (271600) $25.00
5. Balbier Uta (editor). East German Material Culture and the Power of Memory. GHI, 2011. 124 pp. Socialist Architecture Cultural Transfer and Everyday Life Politics of Memory and Display. Very Good. Wrapper.
Bulletin of the German Historical Institute Supplement 7 (271549) $15.00
6. Barasch Werner. Survivor: Autobiographical Fragments, 1938-1946. Haag, 2001. 116 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Fled Germany expelled from Switzerland, as a threat to France interned in various French camps and then escaped over the Pyrenees to Spain and imprisoned till the end of the War. (249475) $30.00
7. Barron, Smythe (editor). The Nazis in Africa Lost Documents of the Third Reich Volume 3. Salisbury NC: Documentary Publications, 1978. 205 pp. Very Good-. cloth.
Fifty documents materials from secret US diplomatic files concerning Nazi efforts to regain lost African dominions. (271525) $20.00
8. Bauer Elvira. “Trau keinem Fuchs auf gruner Heid und keinem Jud bei seinem Eid” ein Bilder Buch fur Gross und klein; Trust no fox on green heath and no Jew on his oath. Nuremberg: Sturmer Verlag , 1936. 8. Aufl. (101. – 110. Tausend). One of the most signifigant anti-Semitic children’s book 21 color plates, 43 pages,Written in fraktur. .The book tells children what a Jew is and how to recognize them. .A clear distinction is made between the satanic Jewish race and the Aryan Germans. The text and the illustrations that accompany the text make clear how threatening the Jew is for the German race and children need to beware.. On the front cover there is a picture of a fox and a picture of a man depicted as a Jew as he has a big nose, big ears and a chubby hand with a Star of David next to him.The book is divided into ten sections:• The Father of the Jews is the Devil • The Eternal Jew • Jewish names • Once a Jew, always a Jew • The Cattle Jew • The Sabbath • The Jewish Lawyer • The Servant Girl • The Jewish Doctor • The Fuhrer’s Youth . Very Good. Boards.
The title of the book “Do not trust a fox on a green heath and green heath and no Jew on his oath ” goes back to the anti-Semitic saying of Martin Luther “Do not trust a wolf on wild heathens, nor a Jew on his oaths”. Was considered scandalous in its portrayal of the Jews, so extreme are the images. (271269) $1,500.00
9. Bauschinger Sigrid (hrsg). Die freche Muse Literarisches und politisches kabarett von 1901 bis 1999. Francke, 2000. 221 pp. inscribed with two essays dealing with the Nazi period. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271669) $15.00
10. Ben-Ami, Yitshaq. Years of Wrath: Days of Glory. Robert Speller & Sons, 1982. First Edition. 8vo 620 pp. dj slightly torn.stain to dj. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Involved with the Irgun in the illegal immigration from 1937-39 with Jabotinsky and then the Altalena affair. (257288) $18.00
11. (Berlin) Geisel, Eike. Im Scheunenviertel — Berlin. Berlin: Severin und Siedler, 1981. oblong 8vo 155 pp. In German. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Photos and text on Jewish Berlin of early to mid 20th Century (271566) $25.00
12. Bernbaum, Israel. My Brother’s Keeper The Holocaust Through the Eyes of an Artist. Putnam, 1985. 64 pp dj torn. Good. Hardback & DJ.
Drawings of the Warsaw Ghetto. (271530) $18.00
13. Birenbaum, Halina. Hope is the Last to Die: HaHayim CeTekaveh (In Hebrew). NY: Ghetto Fighter’s House, 1983. Survivor’s memoirs 1939-1945, from Warsaw to Auschwitz. 12mo 166 pp.In Hebrew . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271742) $18.00
14. Blumenfeld, Kurt. Erlebte Judenfrage: Ein Vierteljahrhundert Deutscher Zionismus. Stuttgart: DVA, 1962. 8vo 223 pp. heavily pencil underlined German Zionism in 19th and 20th century. Good. Hardcover . (271524) $10.00
15. Brautigam Andreas. Direkt vor der Haustur; Berlin-Lichtenrade im Nationalsozialismus. Aktion Suhnezeichen, 1990. 366 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271507) $16.00
16. Brill Marte. Der Schmelztiegel. Roman. Buchergilde Gutenberg, 2003. 251 pp. Novel of her true story of leaving Nazi Germany for Brazil and experiences in Brazil as refugee. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271493) $20.00
17. Bryks Rachmil inscribed by. Oyf Kiddush ha-Shem un andere dertseylungen.} (For the sanctification of God’s name.). Bryks Book Committee, 1952. 145 pp.Concerns the Shoah In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover .
By the author of Ghetto Factory 76 and a Cat in the Ghetto, survivor of Auschwitz (271678) $25.00
18. Chertok, Haim. He Also Spoke As A Jew: The Life of James Parkes. NY: Vallentine Mitchell, 2006. 515 pp. Imprtant British Christian theologian who fought Anti Semitism and supported the establishment of the State of Israel. new. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (258610) $30.00
19. Cohn, Bernhard (editor) Hahn, Hugo . Living Legacy; Dedicated to Hugo Hahn: Rabbi, Teacher, Scholar. NY: Congregation Habonim, 1963. 121 pp. Filled with essays on German Jewish life in Germany and the USA. Hahn was an important refugee Rabbi from Essen , founded Congregation Habonim. Good. Cloth. (270133) $35.00
20. Comite International D’Histoire de la Deuxieme Guerre Mondiale. La Propagande pendant la Deuxieme Guerre Mondiale; Methodes, objet, resultats. Bucarest: Commission Roumaine, 1980. Twenty essays translated into five languages 479 pages tears to backstrip . Good. Paperback. (271511) $18.00
21. Curley , Rep. James M (Of Massachusetts). Service and Sacrfice by the Jewish People Entitle them to the respect of their Fellow Americans and an end to Jewish Persecution here and abroad. USGPO, 1944. Speech in Congress March 30, 1944, speech of six pages and 30 pages listing names of Jews honored for valor and wounded. Ex-library indicated on tp in ink. Good condition. Wrapper. (270767) $10.00
22. Diebow, Dr. Hans. Der ewige Jude. 265 Bilddokumente. Munchen: Zentralverlag der NSDAP, Franz Eher Nachf, 1937. 128 pp. cover torn by spine, lacks part of spine, hinge started , tears to covres, the cover image is quite clear. Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
Anti Semitic Nazi propaganda with notorious drawing of bearded Jewish man in caftan with hand outstretched with money and Russia under his arm (271379) $225.00
23. Donnison F S V. Civil Affairs and Military Government North-West Europe 1944-1946. HMSO, 1961. 515 pp. scotch tape on part of dj. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271538) $24.00
24. DPA Series: The Rise and Fall of Nazi Germany. Mount Dora Florida: Documentary Photo Aids, 1970s?. 40 large glossy photographic reproductions of important photos , about 15 inches length and 12 inches width, from Hitler’s parents, to his early life, to his activities in the 1920s, meetings. Anti-Semitism, rise of fascism and his Chancellorship of Germany and War. Unusual photos some I have never seen before . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Documentary photographs, with captions, provide a pictorial history of the rise to power of Hitler and the Nazi Party in Germany. For secondary grades and up.(worldcat) (271609) $135.00
25. Drndic Dasa. Trieste. Houghton Miflin, 2014. 351 pp. Novel of woman who witnesses the SHoah and murder of Italian Jews, and her search for her son, with an SS soldier, taken from her at birth. Filled with real documents from the period and list of the actual names of the 9,000 Jews who were deported from Italy or killed in Italy or countries occuped by Ialy between 1943 and 1945 Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271656) $10.00
26. Drost Pieter. Human Rights as Legal Rights; The realization of individual human rights in positive international law. Leiden: Sijthoff, 1951. 272 pp. number ons pine and slight library mark on fep, crown of spine bumped. Good +. Hardcover .
General discussions and tentative suggestion of an international system of human rights (271603) $36.00
27. Eisenbach Artur. Hitlerowska Polityka Eksterminacji Zydow W Latach 1939-1945. Warsaw: Idisz Bukh, 1955. 223 pp. + 275 pp. paper yellowing age toned but not brittle, tears to spine. good. Cloth. (271681) $55.00
28. Eloesser, Arthur. Vom Ghetto nach Europa: Das Judentum im geistigen Leben des 19 Jahrhunderts. Berlin: Judische Buch-Vereinigung, 1936. 292 pp. s. Good. boards.
note date of publication (256375) $25.00
29. Eschelbacher Dr Max und Sindler Dr Adolf. Zur Hygiene Der Juden Zur Errichtung Des Pavillons “Hygiene Der Juden” Auf Ger Grossen Austellung for Gesundheitspflege/Soziale Fursorge Und Leibesubungen Dusseldorf. Menorah, Jun Juli 1926. pp. 319- 416 pp. twelve essays.
Menorah. Judisches Familienblatt für Wissenschaft, Kunst und Literatur. Sonderheft 6/7 für die Monate Juni/Juli 1926.) (255843) $45.00
30. Eschwege Helmut (hrsg). Kennzeichen – Bilder, Dokumente, Berichte zur Geschichte der Verbrechen des Hitlerfaschismus an den deutschen Juden 1933 – 1945. DVW, 1976. 371 pp.number taped to spine and slightt library mark on fep. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271607) $28.00
31. Farband of Warsaw Jews. Dos Amolike Yidishe Varshe biz der Shvel fun Dritn Hurbn 1414-1939. Yizkor-Bleter nokh Tayere Noente-Umgekumene in: Lid Balade Poeme Drame Dertseylung Roman Humoreske Glaykhort Folkslid Zikhronos Esey Publitsistik Zshurnalistik Rede Reportazsh Khronik fun 139 Mahberim. An Antologye/ Jewish Warsaw That Was: A Yiddish Literary Anthology. : Farband fun Varshever Yidn in Montreal, 1966. 846 + 56 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover .
Yizkor section lists the names of all those murdered in the Holocaust put together by the contributors (271680) $36.00
32. Feinstein Abraham Asher . Meggilat puraniyot neuraot Pinsk vehevel Polesia bishenot ha-milhama ha-olamit. Tel Aviv: 1929. 209 pp.In Hebrew some slight worm holes, needs binding. atrocities in Pinsk during the War. Good. Hardcover . (271617) $65.00
33. Feldman Gerald . Jewish Bankers and the Crises of the Weimar Republic. New York: Leo Baeck Institute, 1995. Memorial Lecture 39 22 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270168) $16.00
35. Flade, Roland. Juden in Wurzburg 1918-1933. Historische Verein, 1985. 518 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266467) $30.00
36. Frankl Viktor. Ein Psycholog erlebt das KZ. Wien: Verlag fur Judgend und Volk, 1947. zweite. 131 pp. back cover torn and lacks part of cover and page with description of Frankl;s other book is torn, paper is yellowing and has slight very slight few holes, new cover and end paper, title paper attached to inner back cover. Good-. wrapper.
Author of Man’s Search for Meaning writes of his camp experiences. extremely scare and signifigant. (271473) $175.00
37. Friedlander Saul. A Conflict of Memories? The new German Debates about the “Final Solution”. New York: Leo Baeck Institute, 1987. Memorial Lecture 31 24 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270167) $16.00
38. Friedman uvia editor. Long Dark Nazi Years: Forty Years After the Collapse of the Third Reich, 1945-1985. A Record of Documents and Photographs of Adolf Hitler’s Final Solution. ocumentation Center, 1985. about 150 pp. filled with douments. Good +. Paperback.
Tuviah Friedman wasa reknowned Nazi Hunter and headed Documentation Center in Haifa (271514) $25.00
39. Frommer Benjamin. National Cleansing Retribution Against Nazi Collaborators in Postwar Czechoslovakia. Cambridge, 2005. 387 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
National Cleansing examines the prosecution of more than one hundred thousand suspected war criminals and collaborators by Czech courts and tribunals after the Second World War. This comprehensive history of postwar Czech retribution provides a new perspective on Czechoslovakia’s transition from Nazi occupation to Stalinist rule in the turbulent decade from the Munich Pact of September 1938 to the Communist coup d’état of February 1948. Based on archival sources that remained inaccessible during the Cold War, National Cleansing demonstrates the central role of retribution in the postwar power struggle and the expulsion of the Sudeten Germans. In contrast to general histories of postwar Czechoslovakia, which have traditionally portrayed retribution as little more than Communist-inspired political justice, this book illustrates that the prosecution of collaborators and war criminals represented a genuine, if deeply flawed, attempt to confront the crimes of the past, including those committed by the Czechs themselves. From the Cambridge University Press Website (251339) $20.00
40. (Galicia) Webber Jonathan Schwarz Chris (photos by). Rediscovering Traces of Memory; The Jewish Heritage of Polish Galicia. Galicia Jewish Museum/Littmann Library, 2009. 186 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Magnificent work with superb photos by the late founder of the Museum Chris Schwarz z”l (271605) $20.00
41. Gegenwart und Rückblick. 50 Zeitzeugnisse zur Geschichte der Westmächte und Berlin 1945 – 1994., Past and Present. 50 Mementos recall the Western Allied Presence in Berlin 1945-1994. / Present et retrospective. 50 temoignages de l’histoire des Allies et Berlin 1945 a 1994. : Alliierten Museum, 1998. 144 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271598) $40.00
42. Gershon, Karen. Postscript: A Collective Account of the lives of Jews in West Germany since the Second World War. London: Gollancz, 1969. 190 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (271548) $15.00
43. Gleiser Izaac coordenacao Ciornai Jeud. Simposio sobre educaao judaica no Rio de Janeiro : opinio~e debates. Inst Brasiliero Judaico, 1966. 58 pp. slight library mark. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270751) $15.00
44. Goldstein Bernard. Finf Yor in Varshever Geto/ Five Years in the Warsaw Ghetto. Farlag “Unser Tsait, 1947. 524 pp. In Yiddish, spine worn, Good. Hardcover .
with photos of the Jews in the ghetto and the massacres by the Nazis (271679) $18.00
45. Gottschalk Alfred. The German Pogrom of November 1938 and the Reaction of American Jewry. New York: Leo Baeck Institute, 1988. Memorial Lecture 32 27 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270166) $16.00
46. Gronowicz Antoni. Four from the Old Town. Scribner’s, 1944. 149 pp. Novel of four youth in the Polish Underground resisting the Nazis. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271542) $17.00
47. Gurlitz Walter. Gustav Stresemann. Ahren, 1947. 287 pp. dj torn writing blacked out on fep. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Important Chancellor and Foreign Minister during Weimar Period whose death lessened possibilities of reconcilation and more nationalism (271512) $15.00
48. Hamburger, Ernst. Juden im offentlichen Leben Deutschlands; Regierungsmitglieder, Beamte und Parlamentarier in der monarchischen Zeit: 1848-1918. Tubingen: Mohr, 1968. 595 pp. slight white marks at bottom of cover. Good +. Hardcover . (271532) $15.00
49. Hayes Kathleen (editor). The Journalism of Milena Jesenska; A critical voice in Interwar Central Europe. Berghahn, 2003. 231 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Although Milena Jesenska’s relationship with Kafka lasted only a short time, it won the attention of the literary world with the 1952 publication of Kafka’s letters to Milena. Her own letters did not survive. Later biographies showed her as a fascinating personality in her own right. In the Czech Republic, she is remembered as one of the most prominent journalists of the interwar period and as a brave one: in 1939 she was arrested for her work in the resistance after the German occupation of Bohemia and Moravia, and died in Ravensbruck concentration camp in 1944. It is estimated that Jesenska wrote well over 1,000 articles, but only a handful have been translated into English. In this book her own writings provide a new perspective on her personality, as well as the changes in Central Europe between the two world wars as these were perceived by a woman of letters. The articles in this volume cover a wide range of topics, including her perceptions of Kafka, her understanding of social and cultural changes during this period, the threat of Nazism, and the plight of the Jews in the 1930s. Bookseller Inventory (271568) $15.00
50. Hedin, Sven. Amerika im Kampf der Kontinente. Leipzig: Brockhaus, 1944. funfte. 12mo 191 pp. bookplate on tp. good. wrap.
Danish Explorer who was sympatheric to the Nazis. (271736) $15.00
51. Henry Marilyn. The Restitution of Jewish Property in Central and Eastern Europe. NY: Am Jewish Committee, 1997. 53 pp. slight library marks bookplate. good. Wrapper. (271596) $20.00
52. Heuberger, Georg. Leo Baeck 1873-1956; Aus dem Stamme von Rabbinern. Judischer Verlag, 2001. 270 p. dj creased in German. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Eleven scholarly articles based on an exhibit at the Jewish Museum of Frankfurt. Remained in Germany and survived Terezin. (271550) $25.00
53. Horkheimer Max et al. Studien uber Autoritat und Familie: Forschungsberichte aus dem Institut fur Sozialforschung. Paris: Felix Alcan, 1936. 947 pp. repair to front hinge, number on spine and slight library mark on fep , corners bumped, slight spots on spine, wear to base of spine. Good. Boards.
Includes work by Max Horkheimer, Erich Fromm, Herbert Marcuse, K. Landauer, Karl A. Wittfogel, Ernst Manheim, Andries Sternheim, Hilde Weiss, Gottfried Salomon, Willi Strelewicz, Ernst Schachtel, Harald Makiewicz, Zoltan Ronai, Hubert Abrahamsohn, Paul Honigsheim, Kurt Goldstein, Fritz Jungmann, Marie Jahoda-Lazarsfeld, Curt Wormann, Alfred meusel, Arthur W. Calhoun, Adolfo Luini, Hans Mayer und R. Meili. (258627) $75.00
54. Huysmans Camille (foreword). The Case of Henryk Erlich and Victor Alter. London: Liberty Publ, 1943. 31 pp. creased pages. good. wrapper.
Polish Socialist labor leaders .Were actively calling for resistance and fighting the Nazis.Organized the International Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee. Both murdered by order of Stalin some time between 1941 and 1943 (271517) $18.00
55. Institut fur Sozialforschung. Studien uber Autoritat und Vorurteil (Gekurzte deutsche Fassung der Bande I-III und V der “Studies in Prejudice” edited by Max Horkheimer and S H Flowerman) Erster und Zweiter Halbband. Frankufrt: Goethe Universitat, 1953. 739 pp. in two volumes, hinge started, library mark on free end paper and taped number to spine, typed manuscript paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover .
Als manuskript verveilfaltigt (258628) $140.00
56. Jackman, Jarrell and Borden, Carla, editors. The Muses Flee Hitler: Cultural Transfer and Adaptation, 1930-45. Washington: Smithsonian, 1983. 347 pp. dj torn Henry Commager’s copy with underlining. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Very important collection of essays on the refugee artist and intellectuals (271708) $10.00
57. Kahl Monika. Denkmale judischer Kutlur in Thuringen. Thuringisches Landesamt, 1997. Band 2 153 pp. top corners bumped. Very Good. Wrapper.
color photos of the cemeteries and the destoyed and some rebuilt synagogues (253919) $40.00
58. Kathe Kollwitz Tziporim Mahayei Poalim. Tel Aviv: Sinai, 1950s?. 64 pp. in Hebrew with many examples of her work. Good. Hardcover . (271513) $36.00
59. Kazdan C S. Medem Sanatorye Bukh. HaMenora, 1971. 463 pp. includes photos In Yiddish slight stains to cover and bottom back cover. Good. Hardcover .
A history of the Medem Sanitarium an Orphanage in Poland and a “Folk School.” After the Germans invaded Poland, the Medem Sanatorium was first shut down and then looted in September 1939. The Bund’s underground organization decided to reopen the clinic a few months later. Despite rapid deterioration in the facility’s conditions, the teachers nonetheless remained true to the educational concepts of the TSYSHO and continued to admit children; for example, 130 pupils arrived from a Polish-language Jewish orphanage… the children and remaining staff were deported on 22 August 1942,(YIVO Encyclopeida) (271690) $36.00
60. Kessler Katrin. The Buildings of the Jewish Community in Schwedt/Oder (Kleine Schriften der Bet Tfila – Forschungsstelle Fur Judische Architektur In Europa Herausgegeben). Imhof, 2007. 64 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266540) $19.00
61. (Kirchen) Huettner, Axel. Die judische Gemeinde von Kirchen 1736-1940; (Erfringen-Kirchen, Kreis Lorrach). Heidelberg: Esprint, 1978. 372pp. Beitrage zur geschichtlichen wirtschaftlichen und religiosen Situation der Juden in Markgraeferland. Library stamps on pastedown and copy right page. Good. Boards. (266747) $36.00
62. Koehl Robert. RKFDV: German resettlement and population policy, 1939-1945 a history of the Reich Commision for the Strengthening of Germandom (Harvard Historical Monographs). Harvard University Press, 1957. 263 pp. dj chiped. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271506) $40.00
63. Kohn, Murray. Kol dami zo’ek: nos’e ha-Shoah ba-shirah ha-Ivrit/ The Holocaust as Reflected in Hebrew Poetry. Jerusalem: Maas, 1979. 251 pp. + XII, dj torn In Hebrew inscribed by author. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
The Voice of My Blood Cries Out: The Holocaust as reflected in Hebrew poetry (English title) (271564) $24.00
64. Kossler Gottfried. …dass wir nicht erwünscht waren: Novemberpogrom 1938 in Frankfurt am Main: Berichte und Dokumente. Dipa, 1993. 176 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (271562) $15.00
65. Kostya, Sandor. Northern Hungary: A Historical Study of the Czech Republic. Toronto: Asso Hungarian Tchrs, 1992. Includes material on the Second World War. 12mo 231 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (271516) $15.00
66. Kotker, Norman. Learning About God. NY: Holt Rinhart, 1988. 200 pp. Very Good. Hardcover
Satiric haunting novel of Auschwitz and Bergen Belsen survivor and coming to tems with life and its viccissitudes in the USA. (271634) $15.00
67. Kraiss Eva . Bet Hachajim Haus der Leben; Judische Friedhofe im Wurttembergisch Franken. Swirdoff, 2003. 142 pp. Exhibtion catalog the cemetery pictures were taken in various villages. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265204) $47.00
68. Kräling, Ingrid (hrsg). Juden in Kassel 1808-1933, Eine Dokumentation anlasslich des 100. Geburtstages von Franz Rosenzweig, Ich bleibe also Jude, Ausstellungskatalog mit vielen Abb. Thiele und Schwarz, 1986. 288 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271518) $24.00
69. Langer Lawrence. In a different light: The Book of Genesis in the Art of Samuel Bak. Boston: Pucker Gallery, 2001. 92 pp.Bringing the creation story to the concentration camps. new. Hardback & DJ.
A study of the work of survivor artist of the Shoah. (258797) $20.00
70. Lehr Stefan. Antisemitismus – religiose Motive im sozialen Vorurteil; Aus der Frujheschichte des Antisemitismus in Deutschland 1870-1914. Kaiser, 1974. 291 pages, library stamp tp . Very Good. Paperback. (271539) $15.00
71. Loewy Ernst hrsg. Exil. — Literarische und politische Texte aus dem deutschen Exil 1933 – 1945. Metzler, 1979. 1277 pages. Good condition. Hardback & DJ. (271500) $24.00
73. Mark B. Powstanie W Getcie Warszawskim. Warsaw: Idisz Buch, 1963. In Yiddish 341 pp. torn spine. good. wrapper. (271563) $10.00
74. Mass Dr Zacharie (Laffitte Michel introduction). Passeport pour Auschwitz. Correspondance d’un medecin du camp de Drancy. Le Manuscript, 2012. 410 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Fondation pour la Memoir de la Shoah (269165) $25.00
75. Meinen Insa. Die Shoah in Belgien. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 2009. 254 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271503) $62.00
76. Mrozewski, Stefan. Ghetto of Warsaw 16 woodcuts, Introduction by Henry Kanarek. Magnes, 1966. Covers slight soiling,wear along spine and edges, woodcuts clean,, includes four glossy reproductions of works by artists murdered at Terezin or Auschwitz) Cream color paper folio cover black title . 2 page introduction by Karanek, contents page, and 16 prints in black and white. Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
Mrosewski worked in Paris from 1925 to 1939 where he was acclaimed. In 1939 he returned to Poland and joined the Resistance. (Armia Krajowa, the cladestine Polish Home Army.) He fought throughout Poland and had contact with the Warsaw ghetto and thus the inspiration for his work. .This extraordinary work was done in 1946 in Paris and this is the first publication of them.: (271709) $295.00
77. Muller Klaus. The Army, Politics and Society in Germany, 1933-45. St Martins, 1987. 122 pp. sfep. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271541) $10.00
78. Nafziger George. The French order of battle in WWII : an organizational history of the divisions of the French Army. Ohio: Nafziger, 1995. 111 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271535) $15.00
79. North Paul. Publishing in Exile German Language Literature in the U.S. in the 1940s. goethe Institute, 2009. 59 pages. Very Good. Wrapper. (271536) $15.00
81. Padellaro Nazareno. Pio XII. Torino, 1956. 380 pp. Includes the Second World War In Italian Controversial Pontiff re his stands during the War. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271602) $15.00
82. Paret Peter. “The Enemy Within” Max Lieberman as President of the Prussian Academy of Arts. Leo Baeck Institute, 1984. Memorial Lecture 28 , 31 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270162) $15.00
83. Peltel Miedzyrzecki, Wladka F. On Both Sides of the Ghetto Wall, Fun Beyde Zaitn Geto Moiyer Fun beyde zaytn geto-moyer. Workmens Circle, 1948. 358 pp.In Yiddish wear to crown and base of spine with some images. Good. Hardcover .
Warsaw Ghetto, Wladka Meed (271677) $42.00
84. Perse, St. John. Exile and other Poems. NY: Pantheon Books, 1949. 166 pp. dj slightly chipped and torn. Good. Hardback & DJ.
Exiled French poet. Introduced by Archibald MacLeish. Bilingual ed. Bollingen Series XV. (271498) $12.00
85. Petuchowski Jacob. On The Valdity of German Jewish Self Definitions. Leo Baeck Institute, 1985. Memorial Lecture Nr. 29, 24 pp. corners creased. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270163) $17.00
86. Pickus Keith. Constructing Modern Identities; Jewish University Students in Germany 1815-1914. Wayne, 1999. 222 pp. Fine/As new. Hardback & DJ. (271662) $10.00
87. Pillars of Smoke Remember ..Do not forget; in conjunction with an exhibition on the Shoah. Spertus, 1971. 18 pp. images and text. Very Good. Wrapper. (270249) $20.00
88. Poliakiewicz Symcha. A tog in Treblinke.– ( Dos Poylishe Yidntum ; 31 ). Buenos Aires: Central Verlag, 1948. 140 pp.needs rebinding In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (271686) $15.00
89. Polonsky Anthony (editor). Polin Studies in Polish Jewry, Volume 1-8; A Journal of Polish Jewish Stuides. Blackwell Publishers/Institute for Polish Jewish Studies, 1987-1994. Eight volumes in pristine condition, filled with scholarly essays and reviews. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Volume Eight: Jews in Independent Poland 1918-1939 is published by the Littman Library (271671) $225.00
90. Proposed Roads for American Jewry A Symposium. NCJW, 1936. 79 pp. slight library marks, tears to spine ,includes essay by Marvin Lowenthal Germany of Yesterday and America of Today (concerns Nazism) The road of the Spirit by Erich Gutkind and As a Liberal Views It by Morris Raphael Cohen. Good. Wrapper.
Gutkind was a refugee from Germany who taught at the New School (270766) $36.00
91. Puttnies Hans und Smith Gary. Benjaminiana: Eine Biographische Recherche. Anabas, 1991. 219 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
On Walter Benjamin who died at Spanish border fleeing the Nazis. (271570) $36.00
92. Raba Joel. Between Remembrance and Denial: The fate of Jews in the Wars of the Polish Commonwealth during the mid 17th Century as shown in Contemporary Writing. Boulder: East European Monographs, 1995. 518 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Contemporary Writings and Historical Research (271713) $15.00
93. Rauschning Hermann. The Redemption of Democracy: The Coming Atlantic Empire. NY: Allaince Book, 1941. 244 pp. tears to covers. good. Paperback.
A study of Hitler’s techniques. (271665) $10.00
94. Reese Gunther . Judisches Monchsroth: Einladung zu einem Rundgang. Hagerloch: Medien, 2006. 23 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266750) $25.00
95. Reichmann Rva hrsg . Max Zweig. Kritische Betrachtungen. Rohrig, 1995. 424 pp. pencil underlined Robert Musil Forschung . Very Good. Paperback. (270804) $25.00
96. Reichmann, Eva (widmung). Festschrift zum 80 Geburstag von Rabbiner Dr. Leo Baeck: am 23 Mai 1953. London: Council for the Protection, 1953. 110 pp. In German 13 esays dealing with German Jewish life in the 1930s on, Leo Baeck esteemed . good. wrapper.
When the Nazis rose to power in 1933 Leo Baeck was elected president of the Reichsvertretung der deutschen Juden, an umbrella organization of German-Jewish groups founded to advance the interests of German Jewry in the face of Nazi persecution. The organization was forced to change its name to the Reichsverband der Juden in Deutschland in 1935 to reflect the Nazi view that there were no “German Jews” but only “Jews in Germany.” As the head of this organization, Baeck worked to maintain the morale of German Jews and alleviate the discrimination and persecution of the Jews by the National Socialists. Under Baeck, the organization also helped Jews emigrate from Germany.
In spite of several offers of emigration, Leo Baeck refused to leave Germany or his community, even after Jewish businesses and synagogues (including his home congregation at Fasanenstrasse) were burned and looted in November 1938. He is reported to have said that he would only leave Germany when he was the last Jew remaining there. He remained the nominal president of the Reichsverband when it was placed under Nazi control and renamed the Reichsvereinigung der Juden in Deutschland. When this organization was finally disbanded in 1943, Leo Baeck, along with his family members, was sent to the concentration camp at Theresienstadt (Terezin) at the age of seventy.He survived and lived then in England. (LBI) (271494) $25.00
97. Reichshandbuch der deutschen Gesellschaft : Das Handbuch der Personlichkeiten in Wort und Bild. Berlin: Deutscher Wirtschaftsverlag, , 1930-31. two volumes 2124 pp. spines worn,last few pages volume twoare loose Short biographies of prominent Germans with photos Important reference work re future diplomats, businessmen, lawyers under the Nazis and determining their fates .Heavy tomes A who’s who of German elite. Good. Hardcover . (271273) $175.00
98. Ringelblum Emmanuel. Kesuvim fun getto Dziennik Warszawskiego getta Tom 1 1939-1942. Warsaw: Idisz Buch, 1961. 444 pp. In Yiddish tears along spine boards worn. Good. Boards. (271691) $36.00
99. Rosenfeld Alvin. The Americanization ot the Holocaust. Univ of Michigan, 1995. 45 pp. The David Belin Lecture. Very Good. Wrapper. (271502) $10.00
100. Rosensaft, Josef, et. al. Belsen. Tel Aviv: Irgun Sheerit Hapleita, 1957. 12mo 203 pp. In English, good. Hardcover .
Articles by survivors and liberators.Filled with essays and pictures and maps at back (271551) $24.00
101. Rotenstreich Nathan. The Recurring Pattern studies in Anti Judaism in modern thought. Horizon, 1964. 135 pp. dj torn. good. Hardback & DJ. (271573) $20.00
102. Ruppel Irmgard. Memories. CreateSpace Independent Publishers, 2010. 96 pp. inscribed by author Of mixed Jewish Chistian parentage. Some of her family murdered by the Nazis. She was ultimately arrested by the Gestapo and sent to prison and labor camp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270271) $36.00
103. Ruprecht Thomas. Felix Boenheim – Arzt, Politiker, Historiker, Eine Biographie. Olms, 1992. 549 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Important anti fascist Doctor set up Amsterdam Congress against the War, imprisoned by the Nazis able to flee to Paris and eventually to NY and active in
Council for a Democratic Germany, (251307) $36.00
104. Schivelbusch Wolfgang. Intellektuellendämmerung. Zur Lage der Frankfurter Intelligenz in den zwanziger Jahren. Die Universitat. Das Freie Judische Lehrhaus. Die Frankfurter Zeitung. Radio Frankfurt. Der Goethe-Preis u. Sigmund Freud. Das Institut f. Sozialforschung. Insel Verlag, 1982. 142 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (270139) $25.00
105. Schonlank Bruno. Fiebernde Zeit., Sprechchore und Kantaten. Genossenschaftsdruckerei, 1935. 89 pp. German Social Democrat who wrote fairy tales and spoken choral works that were popular during the Weimar period. Fled in 1933 to Switzerland. Good +. Wrapper.
Philipps German Children”s and Youth Literature in Exile pp.198, Sternfeld Tiedemann DEL pp, 450 (251302) $45.00
106. (Schwaben) Romer Gernot. Ein fast normales Leben : Erinnerungen and die judischen Gemeinden Schwabens ; Ausstellung der Stiftung Juedisches Kulturmuseum Augsburg-Schwaben…27. Oktober-7. Dezember 1995. Augsburg Schwaben: Stiftung Judisches Kulturmuseum, 1995. 200 pp. ex-library copy with some stamps and marks, book has been reinforced with pamphlet enclosure case, cover glued to front of enclosure. Good. Hardcover . (258742) $42.00
107. Schwarzchild, Leopold . Das Neue Tage Buch 5 Jahrgang. Paris: Neue Tagebuch, 26 Juni 1937. Heft 26, 28, 30,32-42 14 issues pp. 603-1006 with few issues missing each issue about twenty pages, pages yellowed but not brittle Important exile publication. Good. Wrapper.
With articles by Walter Mehring Konrad Heiden Alfred Doblin B Viertel Martin Niemoeller (252198) $100.00
108. Schwarzschild Leopold (Hrsg). Das Neue Tage Buch. Paris Amsterdam: August -Dezember 1935. 3 Jarhgang Nr 31-52, some covers disbound and a few with tears , paper yellowed but not brittle, some issues fragile, wealth of information concerning exile activity and political approaches and news reports from Germany. Good-. Wrapper.
Important exile periodical with writers including Klaus Mann Rudolph Olden Joseph Roth political and literary articles (254490) $95.00
109. Seebacher-Brandt, Brigitte. Biedermann und Patriot, Erich Ollenhauer – Ein Soziademokratisches Leben, Free Universitat, 1984. 662 pp .PhD. theses top corners bumped, tear to spine. Good. Paperback.
SPD leader in Germany after the War. Fled Nazi Germany and eventually landed in London and active in labor poiitics. (271593) $25.00
110. Seger, Gerhart. Oranienburg: Erster authentischer Bericht eines aus dem Konzentrationslager Gefluchteten. Karlsbad: Graphia, 1934. 75 pp.new cover and end paper, cover now attached to back inner end paper and lacks small pieces of top corner, title page has new binding atttached. Good-. wrapper.
Mit einem Geleitwort von Heinrich Mann. Eyewitness report of the concentration camp. Seger escaped and found refuge in the USA where he was active in SPD politics.. Published in English under title A Nation Terrorized (271474) $50.00
111. Seidman Hillel. United Nations: Perfidy and Perversion. M P Press, 1982. 203 pages inscribed by author . Very good. Cloth.
material on Waldheim anti Zionist stance of the UN seidman was known for his Warsaw Ghetto Diaries (271567) $30.00
112. Singer Charles. The Christian Approach to Jews Memorandum prepared for the International Missionary Council. London: George Allen, 1937. 30 pp. slight library marks On the proper response to the growing Anti Semitism and Nazism. Good. Wrapper. (251751) $26.00
113. Sonnert Gerhard. What Happened to the Children Who Fled Nazi Persecution? Palgrave, 2006. 263 pp. small book plate five year study of over thousand children exploring their resilience and the lingering anguish . Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271544) $10.00
114. Stephan Alexander (hrsg). Schreiben im Exil; Zur Asthetik der deutschen Exilliteratur 1933-1945. Bouvier, 1985. 251 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271509) $36.00
115. Stern Fritz. Germany 1933: Fifty Years Later. Leo Baeck Institute, 1983. LB Memorial Lecture 27 34 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (270165) $15.00
116. Stern Selma. Der Preussische Staat und die Juden. Erster Teil: Die Zeit des Grossen Kurfürsten und Friedrichs I. Erste Abteilung: Darstellung. Schwetschke, 1925. 159 pp. slight library marks, number on cove tear to crown. Good. Hardcover .
Refugee German Jewish historian (271543) $9.00
117. Strongwater Andrea. Where we Once Gathered Lost Synagogues of Europe paintings and words by Andrea Strongwater. Lemont: Eifrig, 2012. 48 pp. Includes many destroyed by the Nazis beautifully illustrated. Very Good. Hardcover . (269725) $30.00
118. Sucher C Bernd. Max Zweig: Ein Deutscher Jude, Ein Dramatiker. Frankfurter Bund, 1988. 86 pp. Very Good. Wrapper.
Refugee dramatist who went to Palestine. (246878) $20.00
119. Szalit, Rachel Marcus. Menschloch un szenen … sholom Aleichem Werke Mottel Pisi das Noznos Yingel Menselach un stzenes : 16 tzeichenungen tzu Shalom Aleichems werk “Motel Peisi dem haazzan’s jingel. Baleit-wort: [Baal Machschowes] [d.i. Isidor Eljaschew]; Menshelakh un stsenes : zekhtsen tseykhenungen tsu Sholem Aleykhems verk ” Motl Peysi dem hazens yinge” Berlin: Klal, 1922. 46 pp frontispiece and15 lithographs Yiddish; The first plate is yellowing; Spine is repaired cover is slightly worn and back cover worn and a bit discolored ; the rest of the lithographs are in good and clean condition. Rare. Good. boards.
Illustrations to Sholom Aleichem’s Menshen und Zenen.Painter and etcher born in Lithuanian in 1896, depicted Eastern European Jewish life. In 1916 she moved to Berlin where she exhibited with the artists of the Secession group,became a member of the November group. Moved to France with the advent of the Nazis. In 1942 she was arrested and murdered in a concentration camp. Her best-known works consist of lithographic illustrations to books by Mendele Mokher Seforim, Shalom Aleichem, Israel Zangwill, Heinrich Heine, and Martin Buber. (268662) $375.00
120. Szittya Emil gesammelt von. Die Zone. Querschnitt durch die deutsche Kunst, Literatur, Musik, Politik, Theater, Wissenschaft. Gesammelt von Emil. . [Nr. 4 , 25 Dezember 1933]. 40 pp. covers worn, some foxing, some staple type punctures at corners, reading copy Articles on Nazism, satiric pictues of Nazis, articles of life in Germany, plight of the Jews, art etc. Fair. Stiff Wrapper. (271725) $45.00
121. Taylor Stan. The National Front in English Politics. Macmillan, 1982. 212 pp. number on spine and slight library mark fep. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Fascist poltical party active in England in the 1970s (271606) $20.00
122. Tenenbaum, Joseph . Galicie main alte haím.– ( Dos Poylishe Yidntum ; 87 ). Tsentral-farband fun Poylishe Yidn in Argentine, 1962. 319 pp. material concerning Galicia in 1920 and 1930s. Good. Hardcover .
Joseph Tenenbaum, a leader of the Jewish militia and eyewitness to the Lemberg pogrom of 1918 which he discusses in this book, (271682) $25.00
123. Tenenbaum, Joseph . Galicie main alte haím.– ( Dos Poylishe Yidntum ; 87 ). Tsentral-farband fun Poylishe Yidn in Argentine, 1962. 319 pp. material concerning Galicia in 1920 and 1930s. Good. Hardcover .
Joseph Tenenbaum, a leader of the Jewish militia and eyewitness to the Lemberg pogrom of 1918 which he discusses in this book, (271683) $25.00
124. Tharaud jerome. Quand Israel N’est Pas Roi. Paris: Plon, 1933. Subtle anti-semitic work 12mo 244 pp. paer yellowing but not brittle covers soiled and torn. Fair. wrapper. (258879) $20.00
125. Traber Habakuk. Verdrangte Musik; Berliner Komponisten im Exil. Berlin: Argon, 1987. 376 pages tear to spine. Very good. Paperback. (271501) $10.00
126. Troncoso Sergio. The nature of truth. Northwestern, 2003. 259 pp. Very good+. Hardback & DJ.
Novel based on the DeMan story , distinguished Professor hides his Nazi past during WW2 and justice is meted out. (271569) $15.00
127. Turrou, Leon. Nazi Spies in America. NY: Random House, 1939. First Printing. inscribed. 299 pp.dust jacket quite torn, endpapers browning. Good. Hardback & DJ. (271526) $25.00
128. Van de Kar, Jac. Joods Verzet Terugblik op de Periode Rond de Tweede Wereldoorlog. Amsterdam: Stadsdrukkerrj Amsterdam, 1981. 112 pp.In Dutch. Very Good. wrapper.
On Jewish resistance in Holland during the Shoah (271547) $15.00
129. Waga Shlomo. Churbn Czenstochow.– ( Dos Poylishe Yidntum ; 46 ). Buernos Aires: Tsentral-farband fun Poylishe Yidn in Argentine, 1948. 224 pp. In Yiddish, slight library marks. Good +. Hardcover . (271685) $25.00
131. Wheeler, Eleanor. Lidice. Prague: Orbis, 1957. 35 pp.dj torn and slight stain. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
The destruction of Lidice by the Nazis and its being rebuilt as a model village. many photos. (271604) $17.00
132. Willenbacher Jorg (Osterroth Franz). Deutsche Flüsterwitze. Das Dritte Reich unterm Brennglas. Karlsbad: Graphia, 1935. 82 pp.new covers, ,rebound, cover has tears to sides and lacks small pieces and is attached to new inner pastedown, Good-. Wrapper.
Sternfeld DEL pp. 249 Anti Nazi Press in Prague (271475) $75.00
133. Winckler Lutz (hrsg). Antifaschistische Literatur. Programme, Autoren, Werke. Band 1 und 2. Scriptor, 1977. 290+ 286 pp. ten essays discussing the works of anti fascist weiters and organizations. Very Good. Paperback. (271497) $25.00
134. Wischnitzer, Mark. Die Juden in der Welt: Gegenwart und Geschichte des Judentums in Allen Landern. Berlin: Reiss, 1935. 416 pp. crown and base of spine worn, slight library marks . Good. Cloth. (271558) $15.00
135. Wiskemann, Elizabeth. Undeclared War. London: Constable, 1939. 2nd. 330 pp.ex library perforation mark tp. good. cloth.
Contemporary account of Nazi techniques and pressures on the eve of War. Wiskemann had travelled widely in Europe. (271510) $10.00
136. Yerushalmi Yosef. Assimilation and Racial Anti semitism: The Iberian and the German Models. New York: Leo Baeck Institute, 1982. Memorial Lecture 26 , 38 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270164) $18.00
137. Ziegler Herbert. Nazi Germany’s New Aristocracy: The SS Leadership, 1925-1939. Princeton, 1989. 181 pp. sfep. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271540) $16.00
139. Zweig Arnold. Insulted and exiled. The truth about the German Jews. John Miles, 1937. 255 pp. library number on spine and slight mark on fep. Good. Hardcover .
Includes an Outlook for the future (270112) $36.00
140. Zweig Arnold. Insulted and Exiled. The truth about the German Jews. John Miles, 1937. 255 pp.wear to crown of spine. Good. Hardcover .
Includes an Outlook for the future (270113) $36.00
141. Zweig Max. Der Generalsekretar und andere Dramen; uber Max Zweig von Max Brod Israel Mehlmann Walter Schmahling Elazar Benyoetz. Tel Aviv: Elzar Benyoetz, 1979. 311 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Fled Prague in 1938 for Palestine where he remained. Exile writer (271572) $40.00
142. Zweig,Stephan (preface by) Stonehill C A (edited by). The Jewish Contribution to Civilization. Cheltenham: C A Stonehill,Booksellers, 1940. Catalog No 144.. 12mo 198 pp. Good. stiff wrap.
First attempt by a bookseller to give a bibliographical survey to the entire contribution.Tremendous, Reflection on the plight of the Jews in Europe (271599) $35.00
1. Abeles Siegfried. Tams Reise durch die judische Marchenwelt. Funfundzwanzig Kindermarchen nach judisch-volkstumlichen Motiven von Siegfried Abeles. Brandeis, 1922. 100 pp. spine very torn and pages very yellowed but not yet brittle reading copy. Fair. Boards. (266703) $45.00
2. Adler, Elkan Nathan. Von Ghetto zu Ghetto Reisen und Beobachtungen. Stuttgart: Strecker, 1909. 210 pp. ex library with pocket and markings library binding wonderful photos of communities. Good +. cloth.
Mr. Adler spent several years in travel throughout the East, visiting all the countries containing small Jewish colonies. From 1888 to 1898 he made three journeys specially to Egypt and Palestine. In 1892 and 1894 he traveled from Spain to Morocco, and in the latter part of 1894 and at the beginning of 1895 visited Algiers and Tunis. During these journeys he made it a practise to seek Hebrew manuscripts, and in this way accumulated one of the largest private collections in the world. (JE) (272213) $48.00
3. Albeck Chanoch Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums (Berlin, Germany). Das buch der Jubiläen und die Halacha. Berlin: Hochschule, 1930. 165 pp. slight library marks, title written on spine. Good. Boards.
Bericht der Hochschule für die Wissenschaft des Judentums, 47. (272273) $20.00
4. Baerwald, Dr. H. (Direktor) Philanthropin. Geschichte der Realschule der israelitischen Gemeinde (Philanthropin) zu Frankfurt am Main 1804-1904. Frankfurt: Joseph Baer, 1904. 207+464 pp. covers worn, slight tears to crown and base of spine, sfep, slight library stamp Important institution that educated Jewish children, Closed by the Nazis in 1942 and reopened recently as a Jewish school again. Good. cloth.
Festschrift zur Jahrhundertfeier der Realschule, Teil 2 is Wissenschaftliche Abhandlungen seven essays, including an essay on Die Geschichte der Judengasse in Frankfurt by Prof I. Kracauer (272278) $100.00
5. Balakan David. Nationale Forderungen, national-kulturelle Autonomie. Wien: Suschitzky, 1906. 24 pp paper yellowing but not brittle. ex library with pocket in library binding Marxist discussion of the Jewish Question and Zionism. Good. Boards.
Einzig berechtigte Uebersetzung aus dem Jüdischen von David Balakan. (272032) $45.00
6. Balakan David. Die Sozialdemokratie und das jüdische Proletaria. Czernowitz: Pardini, 1905. 63 pp. library stamped . Good. Boards.
The national question is a linguistic question (272231) $65.00
7. Bambus W. Palästina. Land und Leute. Reiseschilderungen. Cronbach, 1898. 175 pp ex library with markings and pocket, with title written on spine and tape on spine includes some wonderful photographs. Good. Boards.
Journey taken on by an observant Jew to report on the economic conditions of his co religionists. (272216) $65.00
8. Beer B. Das Buch der Jubilaen und sein Verhaltniss zu den Midraschim : ein Beitrag zur orientalischen Sagen- und Alterthumskunde. gerhard, 1856. 80 pp.ex library with markings taped spines slight marginal xs, appears to have the signatue of S Munk, important Orientalist and involved in settling the Damascus Affair, has stamp of Judisches Seminar in Breslau and other library. Good. Boards. (272240) $50.00
9. Bernfeld, Dr. Siegfried (redakteur). Jerubbaal: Eine Zeitschrift der judischen Jugend; Erster Jahrgang 1918-1919. Berlin-Wien: Lowit, 1918. 484 pp., new endpapers, new title page and new cloth spine, library mark to back boards, paper yellowing but not brittle articles by psychoanalysts, Gerhard Scholem, Martin Buber et al. Good. Boards.
Bernfeld developed an increasing interest in Zionism, and in April 1918 he founded the magazine Jerubbaal , which was intended to “bring together the conflicting Zionist and Socialist factions within the Jewish youth and call to life a youth movement as the avant-garde of Jewish nationalism” (270392) $175.00
10. Blogg Salomon Ephraim Haggadah. HaHagadah shel Pesach Ha Haggdah shel Pesach. Hannover: Teignener, 1836. 30 double pages, hinges need repair, book bit shaken tears to spine, inscribed by Cantor Grunfeld in 1934 Good. Boards. (272296) $85.00
11. Bodenheimer Max. Ein zionistisches Lebensbild; nach seinen Schriften und Briefen von Henriette Bodenheimer. Koln: Interpress, 1986. 95 pages active in Zionist activities in Germany in mid century. Good. Paperback.
Bodenheimer was a lawyer and one of the main figures in German Zionism. An associate of Theodor Herzl, he was the first president of the Zionist Federation of Germany and one of the founders of the Jewish National Fund. After his flight in 1933 from Nazi Germany, and a short sojourn in Holland, he settled in Palestine in 1935.(272341) $9.00
12. Boer Tjitze de . Geschichte der Philosophie im Islam. Frommans, 1901. 193 pp. ex library with book plate and pocket. Good. Hardcover .
Tjitze de Boer ( Wirdum 1866 – The Hague 1942 ) was Professor of Philosophy at the University of Amsterdam (1906) and a great Islamist . He became a conservator-librarian of the Fries Museum and later of the University Library of Groningen and again later a lower secondary scholar of the Royal Library in The Hague. (272207) $30.00
13. Bogratschoff, Ch. Entstehung,Entwicklung und Prinzipien des Chassidismus. 1906. PhD. theses 62 pp. ex library with pocket taped spine. Good. Boards. (272239) $20.00
14. Borodianski Haim (bearbeitet von). Moses Mendelssohn Gesammelte Schriften Jubilaumsausgabe; Hebraische Schriften III Briefwechsel. Akademie, 1929. Sechzehnter Band 310+142 in Hebrew and German slight marks on foreedge and tears on boards quarter leather and red papered boards. Good. Boards. (270448) $45.00
15. Buck Gerhard. Die judischen Idsteiner 1648-1806. Camberger Verlag, 1988. 196 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Well researched and full of documents (272313) $36.00
16. (Carlebach Julius). Studien zur jüdischen Geschichte und Soziologie : Festschrift Julius Carlebach. Winter, 1992. 219 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Hochschule fur Judische Studien Heidelberg (271660) $30.00
17. Chotzner J me-Joseph ben Shelomoh ha-mekunneh. Ot zikaron : toldot Riṭal Tsunts Toledot Rabbi Yom-Ṭob Lipman [i.e. ] Leopold Zunz z”l. S.B. Schwarzberg, 1891. 13 pp.In Hebrew biography of Leopold Zunz ex library with markings. Good +. library binding. (272222) $30.00
18. Divre Hayamim ( Book of Chronicles) with Pirus Rashi, Niur and Michlol Yofi. Includes a Yiddish translation checked according to Minhat Shay. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1836. 112 pp.new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, slight foxing, aboutt en pages top corners creased and small part of page may come off, Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 92 (272336) $65.00
19. Dr. Adolf Altmann zum Gedenken. Stadt Trier, 1980. 30 pp ex library. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Rabbi from Trier murdered at Auschwitz. (272300) $18.00
20. Dubnow, S.M. Die Judische Geschichte: Ein geschichtsphilosophischer Versuch. Berlin: Calvary, 1898. zweite. 89 pp ex library with markings paper in good shape bound with M Dessauer Der Sokrates der Meizeit und sein Gedankenschatz.: Sammtliche Schriften Spinoza’s gemeinverstandlich und kurz gefasst.Schettler 1877 182 pp. ppaer yellowing but not brittle ex library also. Good. Boards. (272224) $25.00
21. Eckstein, Dr. A. Predigten aus dem Nachlass von Dr. M. Joel, Rabbiner der israelitische Gemeinde zu Breslau. Breslau: Schottlaender, 1894. 316 p. Band II. Fest und Gelegenheitspredigten. Good +. Cloth. (272297) $10.00
22. Elbogen J. Studien zur Geschichte des judischen Gottesdienstes. Mayer, 1907. 99 pp. ex library with pocket taped spine reading copy Ismar Elbogen was an important Jewish hsitorian who fled Nazi Germany for the USA. Good. Hardcover .
This work covers the entire range of Jewish liturgical development, beginning with the early cornerstones of the siddur; through the evolution of the medieval piyyut tradition; to modern prayerbook reform in Germany and the United States. It is the most thorough academic study of the Jewish liturgy ever written. (272286) $18.00
23. Flade, Roland. Die Wurzburger Juden Ihre Geschichte von Mittelalter vis der Gegenwart; Historische Verein. Stuertz, 1987. 518 pp dj torn. Good. Hardcover . (266489) $40.00
24. Funk S. Die Juden in Babylonien 200-500. Poppelauer, 1902. 160 pp. ex library with pocket and has maps. Good. Boards. (272235) $17.00
25. Furst, Dr. Julius. Geschichte des Karäerthums von 1575 bis 1865 der gewöhnlichen Zeitrechnung. Die Letzten vier Abschnitte (1575 – 1865); Eine kurze Darstellung seiner Entwickelung Lehr und Literatur. Leipzig: Leiner, 1865. 179 + 38 pp.pp. ex library with pocket. good. boards. (272236) $20.00
26. Furst, Dr. Julius. Geschichte des Karäerthums von 900 bis 1575; Eine kurze Darstellung seiner Entwickelung Lehr und Literatur. Leipzig: Leiner, 1865. 324+ 122 pp. ex library with pocket. good. boards. (272221) $25.00
27. Geiger Eduard Doctor Theologie Benedectiner Stifter. Der Psalter Salomo’s. Augsburg: Wolfischen, 1871. 166 pp. ex library with markings. Good. library binding. (272272) $16.00
28. Gold Hugo Hrsg. Max Brod. Ein Gedenkbuch. 1884-1968. Olamenu, 1969. 320 pp. + pictures, memories of important German Jewish writer who fled Germany for Palestine, was close friend of Kafka and executor of his estate.n0 90/300 ehrenexemplare signed by Gold and given to Guido Kisch . Very Good. Hardcover . (272304) $20.00
29. Goldstein, Julius ( begrunder). Der Morgen [Monatsschrift der Juden in Deutschland] Jahrgang 1-10 and 12. Berlin: Philo Verlag, 1925-1934 + 1936/1937. eleven volumes each complete , in original blue cloth ,Periodical was published until 1938f or a total of 14 volumes , paper in very good shape until 1931 when starts yellowing but not brittle (12 Jahrgang is Heft 1-12 April 1936- – Mar 1937) good. Boards.
Articles/poems/essays by Leo Baeck, Thomas Mann, Franz Kafka, Joseph Roth, Hugo Hahn. Julius Bab, Max Dienemann etc Amazing assortment of scholarship.Important reflection on German Jewish life. (270210) $450.00
30. Goslar Hans (einfuhrung). Hygiene und Judentum Eine Sammelschrift. Dresden: Sternlicht, 1930. 127 pp.new spine and hinges repaired. Fair. Hardcover .
Significant collection of essays re Eastern Jewy, social hygiene, Palestine, the Talmud. By Rabbis and Medical Doctors. (256986) $36.00
31. Gottschalk,B. Der judische Jugendgottesdienst nach Theorie und Praxis. Berlin: Poppelauer, 1915. 53 pp. ex library with markings heavily pencil underlined . good. library binding. (272223) $25.00
32. Grunwald, Dr Max (editor). Jahrbuch fur Judische Volkskunde. Berlin: Benjamin Harz, 1923. 480 pp. new hinges and spine, covers worn. Good. Boards.
Important collection of essays on Jewish folk customs. This edition celebrates the 25th anniversary of the periodical. (270655) $40.00
33. Gudemann Dr Moritz (Oberrabbiner in Wien). Geschichte Des Erziehungswesens Und Der Cultur Der Juden in Frankreich Und Deutschland Von Der Begründung Der Jüdischen Wissenschaft in Diesen Ländern Bis Zur Vertreibung Der Juden Aus Frankreich. (X. – XIV Jahrhundert). Wien: Holder, 1880. 291 pp. ex library with markings and pocket, taped spine reading copy, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. library binding.
Moritz (Moshe) Güdemann attended the Jewish school in Hildesheim, and thereafter went to a Catholic Gymnasium. He was educated at the University of Breslau (Ph.D. 1858), and took his rabbinical diploma (1862) at the newly founded Jewish Theological Seminary there. In the latter year he was called to the rabbinate of Magdeburg; in 1866 he went to Vienna as preacher, where he became rabbi in 1868, and chief rabbi in 1892. (wikipedia) was associated with Gesellschaft zur Forderung der Wissenschaft des Judenthums (272226) $36.00
34. Gudemann Dr Moritz (Oberrabbiner in Wien). Geschichte Des Erziehungswesens Und Der Cultur Der Juden in Italien wahrend dees Mittelalters. Wien: Holder, 188. 347 pp. ex library with markings and pocket, taped spine reading copy,paper yellowing but not brittle . Good. library binding.
Moritz (Moshe) Güdemann attended the Jewish school in Hildesheim, and thereafter went to a Catholic Gymnasium. He was educated at the University of Breslau (Ph.D. 1858), and took his rabbinical diploma (1862) at the newly founded Jewish Theological Seminary there. In the latter year he was called to the rabbinate of Magdeburg; in 1866 he went to Vienna as preacher, where he became rabbi in 1868, and chief rabbi in 1892. (wikipedia) was associated with Gesellschaft zur Forderung der Wissenschaft des Judenthums (272228) $48.00
35. Hartmann Richard. Palastina unter den Arabern 632-1516; Hinrichs, 1915. 53 pp. ex library with markings and pocket taped spine. Good. Boards.
Das Land der Bibel, Band 1, Heft 4; (272212) $10.00
36. Heinemann Dr. Isaak. Die Lehre von der Zweckbestimmung des Menschen im griechisch-romischen Altertum und im judischen Mittelalter. Marcus, 1926. 102 pp/ ex library with markings, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Boards. (272211) $15.00
37. Herausgegeben vom Vorstande der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des jüdischen Buches. Soncino Nachrichten Beilage zu den Soncino Blattern Band 1. Berlin: Soncino, 1925-1926. XX pp. library marks tears to covers. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272328) $45.00
38. Herlitz, Georg. Judisches Lexikon: Ein enzyklopadisches Handbuch des judischen Wissens in vier Banden. Mit uber 2000 Illustrationen….. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1927. In 5 volumes,with all new spines , spine labels say Lexicon in place of Lexikon heavy tomes. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Important reference work on German Jewry (272277) $125.00
39. Hoff Dr E. Hebraische Chrestomathie nebst einem Anhange: Kurzgefasste hebr Grammatik; I Theil fur die unterclassen der Mittelschule. Wien: Perles, 1898. 31+ 141 pp in German and Hebrew. hinges shot, spine very torn, library mark tp. Good. Boards.
Bezirksrabbiner und offentlicher Religionslehrer an der deutschen Landes Oberrealschule in Prossnitz (266888) $20.00
40. Hoffmann Rabbiner M. Judentum und Kapitalismus: eine Kritische Wurdigung von Werner Sombart’s “Die Juden und das Wirtschftsleben”. Itzkowski, 1912. 192 pp. ex library with library pocket. Good. Boards. (272230) $55.00
41. Horodezky Dr. S.A. Mystisch-religiose Stromungen unter den Juden in Polen im 16.-18. Jahrhundert. Leipzig: engel, 1914. 80 pp. ex library with pocket and book plate and taped spine. Good. Boards. (272232) $25.00
42. Horovitz Dr. S. Die Stellung des aristoteles bei den Juden des Mittelalters. Leipzig: Fock, 1911. 18 pages, ex library with markings and pocket, Good. Boards. (272269) $17.00
43. Hyams Helge-Ulrike. Judische Kindheit in Deutschland. Eine Kulturgeschichte. Fink, 1995. 199 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272250) $10.00
44. Idelsohn, Abraham. Sefer ha-shirim : le-gane-yeladim, le-vate-sefer ʻamamiyim ṿe-tikhonim. Berlin: Yalkut, 1922. In Hebrew, filled with songs, library marked, new hinges 128 pp. good. cloth. (272256) $15.00
45. Italiener Bruno (hrsg). Die Darmstadter Pessach – Haggadah, codex orientalis 8 der Landesbibliothek zu Darmstadt aus dem vierzehnten Jahrhundert, herausgegeben und erläutert von Bruno Italiener, unter Mitwirkung von Aron Freimann, August L. Mayer und Adolf Schmidt; mit einer Gesamtbibliographie der illustrierten Haggadah. Verlag Karl W. Hiersemann, , 1927. 2 volumes. Vol. 1: Folio, unpaginated and is a lovely facsimile of a medieval illuminated Hebrew manuscript. Vol. 2: Octavo. 313 pp of German and Hebrew text reviewing and evaluating the manusript 16 plates with b/w facsimiles of manuscripts. With work by Aron Freimann and August Meyer and Gesamt Bibliothek Three-quarter leather over decorated paper-covered boards with gilt decorated spines. Crowns have slight tears Scuffing and age wear to leather and boards Number 234/350 issued Yaari 2064
Originating in the 13th century this manuscript was probably produced in the late 14th or early 15th century. The scribe Israel Ben Meir from Heidelberg signs his name in the colophon on folio 56v. (271650) $1,250.00
46. Jellinek Dr. Ad. Beitrage zur Geschichte der Kabbala Zweites Heft. Leipzig: Fritzsche, 1852. 82 pp.+ xviii pp. In German and Hebrew, worn boards. Good. Boards.
War Predigter der isr. Cultusgemeinde in Wien (266954) $45.00
47. Jellinek Dr. Ad. Predigten. Wien: Gerold, 1862. 144-263 pp. Israels Hoffnung Huttenfest 1858, ex library with marking and book plate and taped spine. Good. boards.
War Predigter der isr. Cultusgemeinde in Wien (272238) $20.00
48. Jirku . Materialien zur Volksreligion Israels. Scholl, 1914. 149 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Boards.
The basic trend in his work, prolific and often forced in its scholarly presentation (see his collected works Von Jerusalem nach Ugarit, 1966), is the attempt to understand biblical phenomena by comparing them with their ancient Oriental environment. His early works are mainly concerned with the popular religion of ancient Israel, in particular with its miraculous and magical elements (Die Daemonen und ihre Abwehr im Alten Testament, 1912; Mantik in Altisrael, 1913; Materialien zur Volksreligion Israels, 1914).(JVL) (272214) $12.00
49. Jost, Dr. J.M. Neuere Geschichte der Israeliten von 1815 bis 1845 mit Nachtragen und Berichtungen zur alteren Geschichte. Erste Abtheilung: Deutsche Staaten. Zweite Abtheilung : Die Staaten und Lander ausser Deutschland. Berlin: Schlessinger, 18591846. 384 pp. +384 pp. ex library with markings boards worn and leather spines worn(two volumes out of three) Good-. Boards. (272243) $36.00
50. Judische Nationalfonds. Was ist und was will der judische Nationalfonds? Koln: Judische Nationalfonds Keren Kajemeth, 1907. 32 pp. folded in half slight library tape on cover, includes images of tzedakah box ,
plaques for those donating funds and map of Jewish colonies in Palestine. Good. wrapper. (253705) $28.00
51. Judisches Familienblatt. Menorah Judisches Familienblatt fur Wissenschaft/ Kunst und Literatur; 4 Jahrgang. Wien Frankfurt: Menorah, 1926. 722 pp, Good. Boards.
Full year. 12 issues Filled with wonderful articles, on Jewish life,ritual objects, synagogue plans ,artist’s drawings. Jewish life in Germany and Austria. (260193) $45.00
52. Katzenfurter Heute . Chapter Aus der Geschichte der ehemaligen judischen Gemeinde Katzenfurts von Horst Keiner. Katzenfurter Verein fur Heimat Geschichte, 2008. pp. 43-68 chapter on history of the Jews in Katzenfurts and their plight during the Shoah, and those who escaped with pictures of the cemetery. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270432) $30.00
53. Kayserling Dr M. Die Juden in Navarra, den Baskenlaendern und auf den Balearen. Berlin: Springer, 1861. 224 pp. ex library with pocket. Good. Hardcover . (268866) $20.00
54. Kellerman B translator Ben Gerson, Lewi [Levi ben Gershon. Die Kampfe Gottes : Schriften der Lehranstalt fur die Wissenschaft des Judentums: Band III Heft 1. 2. & Band V Heft 1 3. Ubersetzung und Erklarung des handschriftlich revidierten Textes von Benzion Kellermann. Mayer und Muller, 1914 1916. two volumes 310 + 352 pp. ex library with markings in library binding. Good. library cloth binding. (272027) $78.00
55. Klatzkin, Dr Jakob, Elbogen, Dr I, Redakteurs. Encyclopaedia Judaica: Das Judentum in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Berlin: Verlag Eschkol, 1928-1934. All ten volumes present. Volume ten is very scarce. Letters A-L; quarter leather, tears to crowns of spine, leather rubbed, sides of spine some wear,, volume 8 lacks small piece from top of spine, heavy tomes . Good. Boards.
Only 10 volumes were published due to Nazi intervention. Important reference Key scholars involved. Major tomes. Masterful massive scholarly undertaking. [VOL.I]: Aach-Akademien / [VOL.II]: Akademien-Apostasie / [VOL.III]: Apostel-Beerajim / [VOL.IV]: Beer-bing – Caligari / [VOL.V]: Cahan-Draguignan / [VOL.VI]: Drama-Gabinius / [VOL.VII]: Gabirol-Hess / [VOL.VIII]: Hesse-Jerusalem / [VOL.IX]: Jerusalem-Kimschi / [VOL.X]: Kimchit-Lyra. (272276) $236.00
56. Kohn Dr P J Pinschas Jakob Kohn. Rabbinischer Humor aus alter und neuer Zeit Eine Sammlung von Anekdoten und “Guten Wortchen”. Lamm, 1915. 126 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Hardcover . (272206) $36.00
57. Kohn J H. Bibel- und Talmudschatz : die Propheten. Pest: Deutsch, 1867. 1-312 + 313-626 pp taped spine hinges starting .ex library with markings reading copy two volumes. Good. Boards. (272324) $25.00
58. Kohn J H. Der Bibelschatz : die Psalmen Davids : mit den vorzüglichsten Kommentaren, Midrasch- und Talmundstellen, nebst Gedichten, Sagen und Legenden zur Geistes- und Herzensbildung für die Familie bearbeitet ; als Anhang, ein Hauskalender für alle Neumonds, Fest-, Fast-, und Jahrzeitstage auf 20 Jahre vorhinein berechnet. budapest: deutsch, 1870. 325 pp. ex library with markings reading copy volume 1 of 2 Good-. Boards. (272323) $25.00
59. Krauss Samuel . Monumenta Talmudica; Funfter Band: Geschichte 1 Teil Griechen und Romer Erstes Heft. Orion Verlag, 1914. 194 pp. , in Hebew and German,slight library mark to tp and last page , large tome,title in white on spine. Good. library binding. (272146) $37.00
60. Kreppel J. Wie der Jude lacht Anthologie Judische Witze Satiren Anekdoten Humoresken Aphorismen; Ein beitrag zur Pscyhologie des judischen Witzes und zur judischen Volkskunde. Wien: Das Buch, 1933. 119 pp. ex library marked paper browning but not brittle. Good. library binding. (272229) $46.00
61. Lazarus L. Zur Charakteristik der talmudischen Ethik. Kauffmann, 1922. 48 pp. ex library with markings and pocket taped spine. Good. library binding. (272261) $12.00
62. Levi S. Feld Gebetbuch. Wilnaer Zeitung, 1918. 184 pp. In Hebrew and German , pages yellowing, ex library with markings taped spine. Good-. Boards.
“Im Auftrage der Feldrabbiner des Ostens hat Armeerabbiner Dr. S. Levi … die Herausgabe des Buches besorgt ;die Uebertragungen der hebräischen Gebete … und die deutschen Gebete sind – mit Ausnahme der namentlich bezeichneten Psalmen … – vom Herausgeber verfasst.”–Geleit-wort. (272254) $20.00
63. Levy Louis . Tekufat ha-shanah : kolel arbaʻah shirim ʻal arbaʻ ʻitote ha-shanah … Orbis Anni : vel opusculum continens quator carmina Hebraica ; de quator anni temporibus, veris, aestatis, autumni, hiemisque. Berlin: 1842. xvi pp. intro + 98 pp. three pages of intro have black ink stains on top covering some of the text, ex library with book plate and pocket and taped spine. Good. Boards.
me-et Asher Limel ben Mosheh mi-bet ha-Leṿi. (272245) $125.00
64. Lewkowitz Albert . Das Judentum und die Geistigen Strömungen der Neuzeit. I.Die Renaissance. Marcus, 1929. 96 pp. ex library with markings and pocket. Good. library binding. (272141) $18.00
65. Lippert, Julius. Der Seelencult in seinen Beziehungen zur althebraischen Religion. Eine ethnologische Studie. Hofmann, 1881. 181 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Boards. (272215) $24.00
66. Loewe Heinrich. Alter judischer Volkshumor aus Talmud und Midrasch. Gebruder Stiebel Soncino, 1931. 85 pp. new spine furled pages at lower corners and also some at top corner with slight tears. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
(den Teilnehmern an d. Jahresversammlung d. Soncino-Ges. d. Freunde d. jud. Buches v. ihren Mitgliedern in d. Cechosl. Republik uberreicht). (272248) $85.00
67. Loewe Heinrich. Ignaz Goldziher Ein Wort des Gedenkens. Berlin: Soncino, 5689. Festschrift for Goldziher. large 8vo 10 pp tears to cover and last pages tears at bottom of pages. good. wrapper.
Freunden des judischen Buches uberreicht von Josef Altmann (272329) $45.00
68. Mahzor Keminhag Polin Rusin Pinhas Tahaarin Vesharei Kehilt Kedoshot; Rosh Hashanah ve Yom Kippur. Wien: hraschanzky deutsch hebraisch buchdruckerei, 1794. beautiful type for many of the key prayers, Raschi script commentary at bottom and sides, four page bottom pieces lacking from commentary torn pages, tears along side of leather spine, tears cracks to spine. Good-. leather or calf. (266741) $65.00
69. Marmorstein, Dr. Arthur. Religionsgeschichtliche Studien. 1 Die Bezeichnungen fur Christen und Gnostiker im Talmud und Midras. Vinkovci: selbst, 1910. 118 pages library marked, book plate . Good-. Boards.
Rabbiner Skotschau (Ost Schlesien) He studied at the yeshivah of Pressburg and the rabbinic seminaries of Budapest and Berlin. After visiting libraries for some time in England, Italy, and France, transcribing manuscripts, Marmorstein served for six years as rabbi at Jamnitz (Jemnice), Czechoslovakia. From 1912 until his death he taught at Jews’ College, London. Marmorstein’s scholarship embraced many subjects. His initial training at the universities was in Semitics, with special emphasis on Assyriology. He was particularly fascinated by the aggadic sections of the Talmud and by liturgy. Though Marmorstein contributed to many areas of Jewish scholarship, he is noteworthy for his studies in rabbinic theology, the subject of his two important volumes Doctrine of Merits in Old Rabbinic Literature (1920) and Old Rabbinic Doctrine of God (2 pts., 1927);(EJ) (272217) $45.00
70. Meisl Josef. Protokollbuch der Judischen Gemeinde Berlin (1723-1854). Mass, 1962. LXXXII, 544pp. ex library with pocket, In Hebrew and some German. Good. Hardcover . (272028) $25.00
71. (Mendelssohn Moses). Netiboth Haschalom Sefer Bereschith im tirgum Onkelos veperush Rashi vebeur vetirgum Ashkenai huga behaga’a meduyeket al pi haKhumash Tikun Sofrim shel . . . Itzik Premsla z.l. veal pi . . . Moshe Dessau z.l. venitvasfu seder HaHaftarot vekhamesh megilot. . . Wien: Schmid, 1818. 435 pp. frontispeice portrait of Mendelssohn tipped in and illustration on title page, new blue boards and new endpapers and hinges, some dog eared pages. Good. Boards.
1, Sefer netivot ha-salom : wehuʼ ḥibur kolel ḥamisat ḥumse Torah ʻim targum Askenazi u-veʼur = Netiboth Haschalom / Moseh mi-Desoy Sefer Beresit = Bereschith.(worldcat entry)… Sepher Nethivoth Hashalom, more commonly known as the Bi’ur, is Moses Mendelssohn’s revolutionary translation of the Pentateuch. Mendelsson translated the Pentateuch into German using Hebrew characters while the commentary was composed in Hebrew. The commentary aimed to explain the translation choices made by Mendelssohn and drew heavily on traditional medieval Jewish Bible commentators.(Kestenbaum entry) Was originally published in 1783 (271224) $265.00
72. Menkhoff Reelf . Chronik von Osterholz-Scharmbeck Band 1 Von den Anfangen bis 1929. Germany: Stadt Osterholz Scharmbeck, 2004. 422 pp. large 8vo, with information about the many Jewish families that lived in the town and how they blended with the townsfolk. Very Good. Hardcover . (268663) $65.00
73. Midrash Rabah al Sefer Bamidbar. Czernowitz: eckhardt, 1840. hinge starting writings on endpapers and commentary in Hebrew on last endpaper, slight wormholes. Good. Full Leather. (258338) $35.00
74. Mohr Abraham Menahem Mendel. Dagul me-revavah : sefer toldot melekh rav, Napoleʼon ha-rishon, kesar erets Tsarfat … Dagul Mewwawah. Czernowitz: Gedruckt bei Johann Eckardt , 1855. 228 pp. In Hebrew ex library with stamps and pocket, taped spine with white titles boards worn. Good-. Boards. (272337) $75.00
75. Neubauer Adolf. Aus der Petersburger Bibliothek : Beitrage und Dokumente zur Geschichte des Karaerthums und der karaischen Literatur. Leipzig: Leiner, 1860. 150 + 66 pp. In German and Hebrew, ex library with marking and pocket, taped spine, paper in good condition. Good. Boards.
Schriften / Institut zur Forderung der israelitischen Literatur, (272242) $36.00
76. Neuen Isr Tempels in Hamburg. Gebetbuch fur die offentliche und hausliche Andacht der Isr. nach dem gebrauch des Neuen Isr. Tempels. Hamburg: Berensohn, 1845. 2nd. 438 pp.foxing and brownish stains to bottom of pages not affecting readability, wear to leather sine and corners. Good-. Boards.
Beginning of the Reform Movement J M Rosenthal’s copy (270656) $100.00
77. Niemirower, I. J. Chassidismus und Zaddikismus Rabbiner der spaniolischen Gemeinde in BUKAREST. Brill, 1924. 324 pp. ex library with book plate and taped spine. Good. Hardcover .
Miemirower was a Romanian Modern Reform Rabbi, close to reformistic trends in the Western European Judaism, theologist, philosopher and historian. Served as the first Chief Rabbi of Romanian Jewry between 1921–1939, and was a member of the Romanian Senate from 1927 and until his death. An ardent supporter of Zionism and a courageous fighter against Antisemitism, Dr. Niemirower defended the civil and human rights of Romanian Jews and led them on the path towards modernization of community life, in the spirit of what he called Cultural Judaism. (272209) $48.00
78. Nordmann Dr med Achilles arzt in Basel. Der israelitische Friedhof in Hegenheim in geschichtlicher Darstellung mit 6 Taf. in Lichtdrruck. Basel: Wackerngelsche, 1910. 205 pp. + plates ex library with markings and pocket and taped spine. Good. Boards.
( 21. Juli 1863 in Hégenheim, Elsass; † 10. Februar 1927 in Basel) war ein Schweizer Arzt und Historiker. (272233) $75.00
79. Oettingen Alexander von. Die synagogale Elegik des Volkes Israel insbesondere die Zion- Elegie Judah ha Levi’s in ihrer national-religiosen, historischen und ästhetischen Bedeutung : zur Erlangung der venia Legendi, verfasst und mit Genehmigung einer hochwuurdigne theologischen Facultat der Kaiserlichen Universitat Dorpat. Dorpat, Estonia: H. Laakmann, 1852. 132 pp. ex library with markings white title written on spine seems to be inscribed by the author. Good. Boards.
Alexander von Oettingen was a German-Baltic Lutheran theologian and thought leader in social ethics , professor at the University of Dorpat and Imperial Russian State Councilor. (272263) $30.00
80. Olsvanger, Immanuel gesammelt von. Rosinkess mit Mandlen, aus d. Volksliteratur d. Ostjuden gesammelt; Schwanke Erzahlingen Volkslieder und Ratsel. Schweizer. Ges. f. Volkskunde, 1920. 292 pp. hinges repaired and new endpapers spine slight reapir white numbers at base of spine. Good +. Boards. (271890) $85.00
81. Philippson Ludwig. Die heilige schrift der Israeliten in deutschen ubertrangung illustriet von Gustav Dore. Halberger, 1874. 802 pp. The text and plates are combined in one volume This is the Erste Buch. Very heavy tome. Spine has been repaired and new hinges. some water staining last few pages, some repaired pages, There is a family list of deaths in Hebrew on free end paper.Dore illustrations are magnificent full pages. Good. Boards.
The Bible edition that was used by Siegmund Freud’s father and given to him as a child with inscription by his father Jacob.A masterpiece of graphic design, the Philippson Bible (1858) has text not only in two languages, but two alphabets, along with an expanded scientific apparatus of notes and references and over 700 engraved illustrations. Philippson’s remarkable work is nothing less than a monumental archive of image/text interface, grandly authoritative in its scope and scale. Philippson’s overwhelming reliance on Orientalist imagery, animals, romantic landscapes, and Greco-Roman antiquities reinforces the sense that the work presents a veritable encyclopedia of nature and antiquity, explained visually by way of ethnography, archaeology, and art. This was the book from which Sigmund Freud was educated by his father in his earliest years. As an elderly bibliophile, with a profound knowledge of art and archaeology, Freud stated that his “deep engrossment in the Bible” from his first years as a reader had an enduring effect upon the direction of his interests. (271335) $360.00
82. Porjes A. Torat ha-hayim Lehrbuch der Physiologie des Menschen und der Thiere nach dem neuesten Standpunkte der Wissenschaft bearbeitet (In Hebrew). Wien: Brog, 1879. 151 pp. In Hebrew ex library with pocket and stamps paper yellowing. Fair. Hardcover . (272338) $25.00
83. Pracht-Joerns, Elfi. Judisches Kulturerbe in Nordrhein-Westfalen Teil I: Regierungsbezirk Koln. Koln: Bachem, 1997. 650 pp. long pen inscription on fep. Good. Hardcover . (266462) $45.00
84. Preis Dr Karl. Die Medizin in der Kabbala. Frankfurt-am-Main: Schriften der Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums. Kaufmann, 1928. 20 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272205) $25.00
85. Protokoll der Sitzungen der Judischen Welt Konferenz Genf 14-17 August 1932. Berlin: Judischen Welt Kongresses, 1932. 175 pp. slight library mark on fep, number on spine. Good. Hardcover .
Jewish World Congress Delegates from all over the world discussing the situation of European Jewry (270436) $65.00
86. Rashi; Levi ben Gershom; Joseph Johlson. Sefer Mishle : meturgam Ashkenazit me- hadash im pirushe RaSh’y ve-Ralba’g u-Mikhlal Yofi. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckere, 1834. 112 pp. decorated boards, leather spine worn, tears to spine and edges of covers, heavily foxed in parts, some creased pages. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish.Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 89 (272330) $45.00
87. Rosenzweig Franz. Sechzig Hymnen und Gedichte des Jehuda Halevi. Wohrler, 1924. 176 pp. new spine some fading sunning to blue cover. Good +. Boards.
Translation of Halevi’s poems into German with commentary (264014) $45.00
88. Ruck Peter. Abraham Bresslau (1813 – 1884): Briefe aus Dannenberg 1835 – 1839 : mit einer Einleitung zur Familiengeschichte des Historikers Harry Bresslau (1848 – 1926) und zur Geschichte der Juden in Dannenberg. Marburg: 2007. 286 pp. large 8vo. Very Good. Paperback. (267105) $65.00
89. Schaible Karl. Die Juden in England vom achten Jahrhundert bis zur Gegenwart ; ein kulturgeschichtliches Bild. Karlsruhe: Braun, 1890. 133 pp. library mark on tp. Good +. Boards. (266948) $25.00
90. Schirmann Jefim . Die hebräische Ubersetzung der Maqamen des Harir. Jerusalem: Kauffmann, 1930. 133 pp. ex library with book plate taped spine. Good-. Boards.
Schirman began lecturing in medieval poetry at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1942, and became a professor there in 1954. (272270) $36.00
91. Scholem G dozent . Sefer ha-Tamar. Das Buch von der Palme des Abu Aflah aus Syracus. Ein Text aus der arabischen Geheimwissenschaft. Nach der allein erhaltenen hebraischen Übersetzung herausgeg. und übersetzt. Heft II. Uebersetzung. Orient Buchhandlung Arthus Scholem, 1927. 59 pp. lacks free end paper new hinges white title on spine smudges at corner of cover. Good. Boards.
Heft II only (272244) $100.00
92. Schubert, Kurt (editor). Studia Judaica Austriaca: Bd. XII: Die Osterreichischen Hofjuden und ihre Zeit. Eisenstadt: OJM, 1991. 120 pages +55 plates many in color , bottom corner of cover creased . good. Paperback.
Exhibition catalog from the Jewish Museum in Eisenstadt. (270685) $15.00
93. Schwar Joseph; Salomon Hirschinger; Israel Schwarz. Das heilige Land fur schulen bearbeitet. Koln: Schauburg, 1859. 150 pp. ex library with pocket and torn spine reading copy. Fair. Boards. (272268) $15.00
94. segel Binyamin. Morija und Golgatha. Poppelauer, 1915. 24 pp. ex library with markings taped spine. Good. Boards.
Believe the work compares the potential sacrifice of Isaac at Moriah with the death and sacrifice of Jesus (272237) $16.00
95. Seoher Jermiyahu Book of Jeremiah with Pirush Rashi, Maharma Arama, Michlol Yofi and a new Yiddish translation. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1829. 220 pp. first few pages blotched , work shows evidence of water staining, new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, some slight foxing and staining throughout. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 84 (272334) $55.00
96. Sepher Jechezekel with Pirus Rashi, Niur and Michlol Yofi and a Yiddish translation checked according to Minhat Shay. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1830. 197 pp. new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, top of about 100 pages dark foxing like stain. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 85 (272332) $65.00
97. Sepher Jeshaya Book of Isaiah with Pirush Rashi, Eben Ezra, Michlol Yofi and a Yiddish translation by Isaiah b Chaim Hochstadter. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1827. 240 pp. new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, some slight foxing and staining throughout. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 83 (272333) $75.00
98. Sepher Minha Chadasha containing all the books of the Former Prophets with a Yiddish translation and Rashi, Michlal Yofi, Biur and Toalioth Ha RalbagSefer Yehoshua. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1837. 155 pp. new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, some slight foxing and staining throughout. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 97. This part contains Joshua and Judges. Does not have German on title page only Hebrew. (272331) $65.00
99. Silberner Edmund. Moses Hess Briefwechsel. Mouton, 1959. 678 pp. ex library with pocket reading copy. Good. Hardcover . (272029) $28.00
100. Siphre Tre asar Book of the twelve Minor Prophets with Pirush Rashi, Eben Ezra, Michlol Yofi and a Yiddish translation by Asher b Joseph Fulda known as Johlson. Karlsruhe: gedruckt in der grossch priv. hebr. Buchdruckerey, 1827. 220 pp. new decorated boards, new cloth spine and end papers, some slight foxing and staining throughout. Good +. Boards.
German translation printed in Rabbinic Hebrew characters and read like Yiddish. Rosenfeld Jewish Printing In Karlsruhe no 82 Includes a vorwort des Ubersetzers in Yiddish . (272335) $65.00
101. Spitz Jonas. Das biblische Palastina : zum bessern Verstadnisse der Heiligen Schrift in historischer und geographischer Beziehung fur Schul-und Privat-Gebrauch. Prag: 1865. 73 pp. creased map ex library with markings. Good. Boards. (272275) $15.00
102. Steckelmacher, Dr. M. Das Princip der Ethik: vom philosophischen und judisch theologischen Standpunkte aus betrachtet. Mainz: Wirthschen, 1904. 12mo 255 pp. ex library with markings and pocket taped spine. good. boards. (272267) $15.00
103. Stein, Maximilian. Vortrage und Ansprachen; mit einem Geleitwort von Leo Baeck. Frankfurt: Kauffmann, 1928. 1. Auflage. 287pp. bookplate Compiled by Der Grossloge für Deutschland VIII. U.O.B.B. Very Good in VG- DJ. Hardback & DJ.
Extraordinary collection of essays and speeches. VORTRAGE: Der alte und der neue Ahasver; Paul Heyses memoiren und die berliner Salons; Ein parlament der Religionen; Friedrich Nietzsche und das Judentum; Zionismus; Judentum und Christentum; Soziale probleme im alten Judentum; Der Krieg; Die Juden im Handel; Beethoven; ANSPRACHEN: Die Existenzberechtigung des ordens B.B. Zum Stiftungsfest der Montefiore-Loge ; Weshalb der U.O.B.B. nur Juden vereinigt. Zur Einfuhrung neuer Brüder ; Zur Einfuhrung neuer Brder ; Zur Begrundung einer judischen Toynbee-Halle in Berlin ; Zur Begrundung von Jugendverein, Grosslogensitzung 1908; Zur Begrundung einer judischen Toynbee-Halle der Berliner Logen U.O.B.B. ; Zur Eroffnung der neuen Logenhauses in Berlin 1912; Ansprache zun 25jahrigen Jubilaum des Frauenvereins der Berliner Logen 1913; Kritik. Referat über die Sitzung des Niedersachsischen Logenverbandes, erstattet im Generalkomittee 1917. Herausgegeben von der Grossloge fur Deutschland VIII. U.O.B.B. (Unabhangigen Orden Bne Briss) (266992) $25.00
104. Steinherz, Samuel,editor. Die Juden in Prag: Bilder aus ihrer Tausendjahrigen Geschichte: Festgabe der Loge Praga des Ordens B’na B’rith. Prag: Selbstverlag, 1927. 8vo 247+8 pp.covers worn and back hinge starting. good. boards. (272298) $36.00
105. Steinschneider, Moritz (Benzian Julius) Hrsg. Zeitgenossen der Moses ibn Ezra und Jehuda Ha Levi (XI-XII Jahrhudent). Berlin: Asher, 1909. 12 pp. with library markings. Good. Cloth. (272262) $12.00
106. Strauss Bruno. Moses Mendelssohn Gesammelte Schriften Jubilaumsausgabe; Briefwechsel 1 1754-1762. Akademie, 1932. Elfter Band 516 pp. black cloth with gold lining, J Shatzky,s copy with Jewish Material Claims bookplate. Very Good. Boards. (270449) $55.00
107. Taubes, Lobel; Bloch, Chajim. Judisches Jahrbuch fur Osterreich. Wien: 5693 (1932). 238 pp. covers worn back hinge starting Important re lists of Jewish organizations and officials, within a few years all destroyed by the Anschluss. Good. Cloth.
Filled with scholalrly articles (268645) $40.00
108. Trietsch Davis. Palaestina Handbuch. Judischer Verlag, 1912. 340 pp. + index in German spine heavily torn. Good-. Hardcover . (272053) $20.00
109. Van den Bergh Dr. S. Die Epitome der Metaphysik des Averroes: Ubersetzt und mit Einer Einleitung und Erlauterungen Versehen. Brill, 1924. 324 pp. ex library with book plate and pocket. Good. Hardcover . (272208) $30.00
110. Venetianer Dr Ludwig. Asaf Judaeus, der aelteste medizinische Schriftsteller in hebraeischer Sprache1 Teil. Budapest: . Alkalay & Sohn, 1915. 140 pp. and bound with 39 Jahresbericht 36 p. ex library with markings and taped spine. Good. Boards.
38 Jahreesbericht der Landes Rabbinerschule in Budapest schuljahr 1814-198 (272234) $48.00
111. Wassermann, Jakob. Mein Weg als Deutscher und Jude. Berlin: S. Fischer, 1921. 126 pp. ex library wtih pocket paper yellowing. Good. Boards. (272204) $10.00
112. Weinzierl, Erika u. Otto D. Kulka (Hrsg.). Vertreibung und Neubeginn – Israelische Burger osterreichischer Herkunft. Bohlau, 1992. 561 pp. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272315) $30.00
113. Wischnitzer-Bernstein Rahel. Gestalten und Symbole der Judischen Kunst. Berlin: Scholem, 1935. 160 pp. top corners bumped. Good. Linen Boards.
Very scarce book by eminent Jewish art historian and critic. (271717) $175.00
114. Wunsche August ubersetzt von. Aus Israels Lehrhallen, Kleine Midraschim zur spateren legendarischen Literatur des Alten Testaments. Pfeifer, 1907. 80 pp. ex library with pocket . Good. Boards. (272264) $20.00
115. Zeitschrift des Vereins fur Hamburgische Geschichte. Hamburg Verein, 1999. covers creased Collection of essays includes chapters on Jewish life Judische Schuler und “volkische” Lehrer ub Hamburg nach 1918 von A Buttner pp. 101-127 Landesgesjugendpastor Johannes Vorrath und sein Kampf um “rassische Sauberkeit” in der “deutschen Volksschule” 1935 von R Hering, pp. 143-165, “Ein deutscher Jude denkt uber Frutschland nach” Der Schriftsteller Heinz Liepmann von W Weinke pp. 183-207 Band 85 total of 330 pp. Good. Paperback. (270433) $25.00
116. Zunz Dr. Nachtrag zur Literaturgeschichte der synagogalen Poesie. Berlin: Adolf Cohn, 1867. 76 s. (s. 667-742) bound with Kohut Uber die judische Angelologie und Daemonologie in ihrer Abhangigkeit vom Parsismus Leipzig 1866 103 pp. and H Schlesinger Luach Ha-Ittim : Zeittafel der biblischen und nachbiblischen Geschichte der Juden v. d. Erschaffung d. Welt bis zum Jahre 5560, (d. Anfange d. 19. Jh. ublicher Zeitrechnung) in zwei Abtheilungen.Crueznach 1861 211 pp. ex library with markings . Good. Boards. (272266) $45.00
117. Zunzstiftung (Berlin). Jubelschrift zum neunzigsten Geburtstag des Dr. L. Zunz. Berlin: Gerschel, 1884. 171 pp. + 217 pp. In German and Hebrew , brown stain to fore edge and side and bottom edges not affecting text throughout book, old taped repair to first few pages, title page some staining,. new boards and spine, appears to be Solomon Schechter’s signature on title page . Good-. Boards.
Includes Die Metaphysik des Aristoteles in jüdischenn Bearbeitungen / M. Steinschneider –Beiträge zur Bibelexegese / D. Rosin –La Genesi e la Scienza / M. Mortara –Begriff un Ursprung der Tosefta / N. Brüll –Haggada und Midrasch-Hagadda / M. Güdemann –Abraham ben Natan aus Lunel / D. Cassel –Bibliograhie Hebräischer Denkk- und Trauer-Reden / A. Jellenek. (271718) $125.00
118. Zuri, J.S. (Schesak). Rab Sein Leben und seine Anschauungen. Zurich: (Buchdruckerei G.v.Ostheim, 1918. 151 pp.library markings taped spine. Good-. Boards. (272203) $15.00
119. Zwick M I. Berthold Auerbachs sozialpolitischer und ethischer Liberalismus. Khlhanner, 1933. ex library with markings torn spine. Good. Hardcover . (272026) $15.00
1. An Israelite, probably Houston George. Israel Vindicated: being a refutation of the calumnies propagated respecting the Jewish nation ; in which the objects and views of the American society for ameliorating the condition of the Jews are investigated. New York: Abraham Collins, 1820. Total of 110 pages, has missing pages .pp. 41-88 copied from another copy on firm paper very readable, sfep, , fighting the growing missionary movement to convert Jews in the USA; Rosenbach 210 Good. library binding.
Probably the work of a Gentile journalist George Houston financed by Collins and others…. Plea on behalf of real equality for the Jews ,followed pattern of Montesquieu in Lettres Persanes, strategy of letters as a literary device. Two American Jews, one in NY and one in Philadelphia wrote to each other and discussed Jewish problems of the day. They proved to their satisfaction that Jesus was not divine, that he was not the Messiah and may never have existed, Goal of the author was to do away with anything that impeded social relationships between Jews and Gentiles. Book’s bold approach and unabashed criticism of Christianity’s beginnings was denounced as calumnies by some Christians. Three years later Israel Vindicated was published in England, the first “Jewish” book to gain recognition abroad.(from Jacob Marcus United States Jewry) Important work. (269770) $115.00
2. Becker Howard. German Youth: Bond or Free. Oxford, 1946. 287 pp. number on spine and slight library mark on fep. Good +. Hardcover . Extensive material on fascism (271324) $23.00
3. Berg Gertrude. The Molly Goldberg Jewish Cookbook. Book of the Month, 1955. 320 pp. some stains to pages from use, looks like beets on few pages. Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270874) $15.00
4. Bilski Emily. Jewish Women and their Salons; The Power of Conversation. Yale UP, 2005. with contributions from Leon Botstein Shira Brisman Barbara Hahn Lucia Re 262 pages. Very good+. Hardback & DJ.
“From their debut in Berlin in the 1780s to their reemergence in 1930s California, Jewish women’s salons served as welcominghavens where all classes and creeds could openly debate art,music,literature and politics.” Berlin Vienna Paris London New York Milan based on an exhibit at the Jewish Museum (260345) $25.00
5. Boulouque Clemence. Juives d’Afrique du Nord : Cartes postales (1885-1930) Collection de Gerard Silvain. Bleu, 2005. 137 pp. taped number on spine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263686) $37.00
6. Brener Ann. Isaac Ibn Khalfun: A Wandering Hebrew Poet Of The Eleventh Century. Brill, 2003. 191 pp. crown slightly bumped, appears to be inscribed by the author. Very Good. Hardcover . (263614) $40.00
7. Bryas, Madeleine de. Les Peuples en Marche: Les Migrations Politiques et Economiques en Europe depuis La Guerre Mondiale. Paris: Pedone, 1926. 8vo 219 pp.embossed stamp tp paper yellowing but not brittle . good, slight library marks. boards.
Important re: populations covered in the migrations, ie the Jews, the Greek-Turks, the Russians. Scholarly study. (271196) $20.00
8. Carlebach Elisheva. Divided Souls: The Convert Critique and the Culture of Ashkenaz 1750-1800. LBI, 2003. 24 pp. Numer 46 of Leo Baeck Memorial Lectures. slight stain on cover. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271580) $12.00
9. Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe. Cenzura si libertate de expresie in istoria evreilor; Censorship and Freedom of Expression in Jewish History. Bucarest: Hasefer, 2003. 431 pp. in Romanian. Very Good. Hardcover . (240644) $15.00
10. Carmilly, Moshe (editor). Samuel Belkin Memorial Volume; Memorial Volume. Yeshiva University, 1981. 25 wonderful essays in Midrash, Modern Hebrew Literature, Jewish History, in Hebrew. Very Good. Cloth. (271345) $23.00
11. Cohen Rabbi Mortimer. Beth Sholom Synagogue: A Description and Interpretation. Elkins Park: 1959. 34 pp. with photographs Shul was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, covers worn. Good. Wrapper. (271592) $20.00
12. Cohn Werner. The Hidden Alliances of Noam Chomsky. NY: Americans for a Safe Israel, 1988. 40 pp.back cover creased and slight stains. good. wrapper.
Examines Chomsky’s right wing/fascist connections or sympathies. (271626) $23.00
13. Davidson Israel editor. Sepher Shaashuim: A Book of Mediaeval Lore. Joseph ben Meir Zabarah. JTS, 1914. 129 + 202 pp. In English and Hebrew, wear to covers. Good. Hardcover . (271565) $36.00
14. Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas. Informativo DAIA. Buenos Aires : Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas, Jan 1973- Dec 1974. about 18 issues ; each issue about 15-20 pp., slight library mark on cover . filled with articles about Jewish life in Argentina and Anti Semitism et.al. Issues are very scarce . Good +. Wrapper.
DAIA (Delegación de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas) is the umbrella organization of Argentina’s Jewish community. As such, it represents the community in official events and conducts its contacts with authorities. DAIA is the Argentine affiliate of the Latin American Jewish Congress and World Jewish Congress (WJC), the world-wide umbrella organization of Jewish communities. (271615) $185.00
15. Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas. Informativo DAIA. Buenos Aires : Delegacion de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas, mar 1965-Dec 1972. about 35 issues ; each issue about 5-20 pp., slight library mark on cover . filled with articles Issues are very scarce . Good +. Wrapper.
DAIA (Delegación de Asociaciones Israelitas Argentinas) is the umbrella organization of Argentina’s Jewish community. As such, it represents the community in official events and conducts its contacts with authorities. DAIA is the Argentine affiliate of the Latin American Jewish Congress and World Jewish Congress (WJC), the world-wide umbrella organization of Jewish communities. (271614) $200.00
16. Dumont H. Guide de la lecture des manuscripts Arabes. Alger: Brachet et Bastide, 1842. Half binding, black leather, worn and rubbed on spine and corners. Lacks two inches of bottom spine green paper covers stained on the front. Sewn on three tapes, sewing in good condition, leather has marked the end papers,Paper in good condition with very occasional foxing,one page has a stain on the bottom that does not affect text. Lithographic printing 107 Pages interwoven Arabic and French,title page is pirnted ornamental,table of contents in French. Good-. Boards.
Chrestomathy: collection of 25 pieces with differing Arabic handwritings, assorted collection of documents to help the reader to read Arabic (270727) $100.00
17. Elazar Daniel (editor). Judea, Samaria and Gaza: Views on the Present and Future. American Enterprise, 1982. 222 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (260731) $15.00
18. Elazar Daniel (editor). Judea, Samaria and Gaza: Views on the Present and Future. American Enterprise, 1982. 222 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (260734) $15.00
19. Epstein J N. Studies in Talmudic Literature and Semitic Languages Part I and Part II. Magnes, 1983. 463 pp. In Hebrew +1010 pp. In Hebrew, in two volumes djs torn appears to lack volume three. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271239) $35.00
20. Evans Eli iintro Loeb John et al. An American Experience: Adeline Moses Loeb (1876-1953) and Her Early American Jewish Ancestors. Sons of the Revolution, 2009. 350 pp. warm inscription by John Loeb, contains genealogical chart and massive amount of data in text about the family genealogy. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271425) $18.00
21. Firestone Tirzah. The Receiving: Reclaiming Jewish Women’s Wisdom. Harper, 2003. 280 pp. slight writing on paste down. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271359) $12.00
22. Frank Helmut. Mischna mit arabischen Glossen; Leningrader Fragment Antonin Nr 262. Bonn: Friedrich Wilhelms Univ, 1936. 67 pp cover creased, in library binder PhD. theses . Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271397) $23.00
23. Fuchs Esther. Hidden Laughter Comic aspects in Agnon’s Fiction. Reshafim, 1987. 159 pp In Hebrew. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271587) $25.00
24. Furst Julius. Bibliotheca judaica 1/2 and 3; Bibliographisches Handbuch Die druckwerke der Judischen Sprache. Olms, 1960. 419 + 409 + 662 pp. Reprint first published in 1852 Good +. Hardcover . (262495) $36.00
25. Ginzberg Louis (complete). The Legends of the Jews. Seven volumes. Philadelphia: JPS , 1909. Seven volumes includes index some wear to covers . Good +. Hardcover .
Essential reference work for midrash (271139) $150.00
26. Glick Leonard. Marked in Your Flesh: Circumcision from Ancient Judea to Modern America. Oxford, 2005. 370 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271415) $15.00
27. Goldberg Lloyd. Fluctuations between traditionalism and liberalism in American Reform Judaism from 1855 to 1937. University Microfilms, 1955. PhD theses 184 pp. number taped to spine and slight library stamp on fep. Very Good. Paperback. (259687) $10.00
28. Grosz Georg. Hintergrund: 17 Zeichnungen Zur Auffuhrung Des “Shweijk” in Der Piscator Buhne. Berlin: Malik, 1928. lacks number 10 of the drawings, loose drawings without any covers or folder. Good.
Depicts Berlin life and horrors of the War and the military (271297) $250.00
29. Halevi Yehuda (Korobkin N Daniel annotator). The Kuzari In Defense of the Despised Faith. Aronson, 1998. 507 pp pristine. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
“Rabbi Korobkin’s translation is not only clear, concise and accurate but also elegant….making this work accessible to the modern reader.” Rabbi Yaakov Weinberg Ner Israel Rabbinical College (269212) $30.00
30. Hirschberg Peter. The World of Shas. American Jewish Committee, July 1999. 36 pp. slight library mark on paste down some loose pages on Rav Ovadia Yosef and the Shas Party. Very Good. Wrapper. (271618) $25.00
31. Inama Johannes (manager). Rosenthals Collage einer Familiengeschichte; Band I und Band II. Judisches Museum Hohenems, 2002. 105+ 85 pp. Very Good. spiral bound.
Materialien zum Ausstellungsprojekt Band I und II, wonderful interviews and photos and documentation concerning the Rosenthal family and their life in Germany and emigartions. (271620) $85.00
32. Jacoby Meir. Judischer Friedhof Harburg-Schwaben (Kurzdokumentation)., Stuttgart: Hofmann, 1996. 17 pp. + 46 plates / photos of grave stones, 8vo. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271334) $36.00
33. Jean-Baptiste De Boyer, Marquis D’Argens. The Jewish Spy: being a philosophical, historical, and critical correspondence, by letters, which lately passed between certain Jews in Turkey, Italy, France, &c. Translated from the originals into French, by the Marquis d’Argens; and now done into English. The third edition. 5 vols. London: Miller, 1766 + 1765 (last volume). Volume 1 New title page, covers worn and torn 302 pp. some browning to pages, Vol 2 312 pp. + Index browning wear to covers,slight library mark to tp, Vol 3 322 pp. + Index, same condition as others Vol 4 317 pp.+ Index slight librry mark tp same condition Vol. 5 366 pp. + Index slight library mark tp same condition as others, new cloth spines with new titles, rest of tome is calf ,in special cloth box. Good. cloth spine and calf boards.
Translated from the original into French, by the Marquis d’Argens; and now done into English. A translation of the first 40 letters only of Lettres juives. “The original ‘Lettres juives, ou correspondence philosophique, historique et critique ’ began publication as a series of weekly pamphlets as early as March or April, 1736. By 1737, a year after they were printed at The Hague in book form, they were well known throughout France. The first English edition, entitled The Jewish Spy, appeared in London in 1739 (first forty letters only) – followed by four more volumes in 1740. and subsequent editions had five volumes . Matters relating to Jews and Judaism occupy only a small portion of The Jewish Spy, but they engaged some sixteen letters completely [letters 1, 23, 36, etc. ], and references are scattered through no less than seventy others. D’Argens, though frequently salting his letters with earthy and ribald humour – often anti-clerical, rarely descends to jesting about Jews. Transparently, the author is no Judaeophile. He offers many harsh chastisements of both Faith and People. Just as he uses Judaism as a constant foil against the weaknesses of Christianity, he exalts Karaism time and again to the detraction of Rabbinism or traditional Judaism. Undoubtedly he helped create the new atmosphere that made Emancipation possible by the end of the century. “(Stanley Brav, ‘Jews and Judaism in the Jewish Spy’; Studies in Bibliography and Booklore, volume 4, June 1960). (268185) $185.00
34. The Jewish Defender Periodical. Jewish Defense League, 1979-1983. monthly 9/79, 10/79,3/82,5/83,11/83 filled with articles each issue about 15 pages, slight library mark on cover. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271628) $130.00
35. Kahane, Rabbi Meir. “Kahane” The magazine of the authentic Jewish idea. Brooklyn: Kahane , Jan/Feb 1987-Nov/Dec 1987 +. full year 1987 published bi-monthly, and Nov/Dec 1988, Sept/Oct 1989, March/April 1990, nine issues each issue about 30 pages, slight library marks on tp Scarce important work. Good +. Individual issues in library binding.
Articles on Jewish life in USA, aliyah to Israel, USA politics, defeating the Arab threats and Nazism and Anti-Semitism by founder of the Jewish Defense League, Kahane made aliyah in 1971 and argued for expulsion of Arabs from Judea and Samaria and was heavily involved in right wing politics in Israel. (271630) $225.00
36. Kandler Eberhard. Der judische Friedhof Harburg. Christians, 2004. 311 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (257539) $36.00
37. Kartun-Blum, Ruth. Profane Scriptures: Reflections on the Dialogue with the Bible in Modern Hebrew Poetry. Cincinnati: HUC Press, 1999. 97 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (227726) $36.00
38. Katz Benzion (editor). Heawar: A quarterly devoted to the History of the Russian Jews. Five volumes. Tel Aviv: Althira, 1957,68,69. Vol 5,15,16., 167+ 312 +278 + pages important periodical, in Hebrew. good. Paperback. (270545) $60.00
39. Kaznelson, Siegmund (editor). Juden im Deutschen Kulturbereich: Ein Sammelwerk. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1959. Second edition. 1060 pp. glue mark across cover sfep book plate. good. cloth.
A landmark extensive study first published in 1934. Filled with scholarly essays. (271344) $43.00
40. Kipnis, Levin. Maharozet : zemirot u-mishakim le-gan-ha-yeladim ule-vet-ha-sefer. Frankfurt: Omanuth, 1923. 177 pp in Hebrew, songs with notes and Hebrew text, spine rubbed and slight tears to crown and base of spine, new hinges. Good. Cloth. (271184) $47.00
41. Konig Eduard. Das antisemitische Hauptdogma. Bonn: Webers, 1914. 64 pp. library marked and pocket, Good. Boards. (271244) $17.00
42. Kosher Cuisine. Northampton Mass: B’nai Israel Sisterhood, 1990s?. 105 pp. spiral bound recipes from synagogue members. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271471) $23.00
43. Kreas Saul. My life and struggle for a better world : a world without exploitation of man by man, without war, without discrimination of race, religion or nationality. New Haven: self, 1977. 467 pp. From cheder in Russia, emigrated first to Philadelphia and then New Haven, Fervent Communist active in Painters Unionin New Haven and major social causes, filled with documents and achievements. Remained in the Party and active in Jewish causes. Very Good. Hardcover . (271226) $25.00
44. Kronika Organ Zwiazku Zydow Polskich w Danii. Poland: 1973-. Nr. 12 15pp. in Yiddish 26 pp. in Polish. Good. stapled mimeo.
With issue 11 the word Czasopismo is dropped from the title. (271519) $20.00
45. Leeser Isaac. Instruction in the Mosaic Religion. Translated from the German of J. Johlson. Philadelphia: Adam Waldie, 5590 (1830). (Rosenbach 321). 139 pp. lacks pages 3-6, dark water stain about an inch from top of book on inner folds of many pages not affecting text, some stains throughout, boards are rough with tears to spine and wear to covers , needs tightening. Good-. Boards.
Signature of Simon Stern Philadelphia 1852 on t.p. , and Simon Stern No 23. on f.e.p. Morais In Jews of Philadelphia devotes four pages to the accomplishments of Stern for Jewry and the city of Philadelphia, The scarcity of books concerning the Jewish religion emphasized the fact that there was no American Jewish publisher. Having translated Johlson’s Instruction in the Mosaic Religion, Leeser issued in the winter of 1829-30 proposals to publish it and The Jews and the Mosaic Law. When no offers were forthcoming, he became his own publisher. (272024) $950.00
46. Leeser Isaac. The Jews and the Mosaic law. Part the first: containing a defence of the revelation of the Pentateuch, and of the Jews for their adherence to the same. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 5594 (1833). 278 pp. Original boards which are pinkish worn and stained ,contains Masonic book plate and embossed plate on cover and slight Masonic stamp at base of spine, spine torn and tears along edges of spine and base of spine, foxing to end papers, spine worn and has original label, slight damp staining bottom of last pages. Good. Boards.
Leeser’s first book.Rosenbach 375; Singerman 0578. (272025) $1,250.00
47. Lipschutz E M (Jerusalem). Vom Lebendigen Hebraisch. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1920. 107 pages bookplate. Good. Cloth. (271574) $25.00
48. Liptzin Sam (Inscribed by). Tales of A Tailor: Humor and Tragedy in the Struggles of the Early Immigrants Against the Sweatshop. Prompt Press, 1965. 272 pp.illustrated by William Gropper pink mark on dj inscribed by author. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271133) $18.00
49. Mielziner Ella. Moses Mielziner 1828-1903 A Biography. With a Bibliography of his writings; with a reprint of his ‘Slavery Amongst the Ancient Hebrews’ and other works. 1931. 254 pages crown and base of spine slightly bumped covers worn, Good +. Hardcover . (271138) $26.00
50. Mlotek Chana editor. Yiddish Folksongs from the Ruth Rubin Archive. Wayne State YIVO , 2007. 288 pp. includes cd. Very Good. Paperback. (271012) $36.00
51. Oppenheimer Prof Dr. Die Judenstatistik des preussischen Kriegsministeriums. (Fragen der Zeit). Verlag fur Kulturpolitk, 1922. 48 pp. several slight library marks, includes letter from publisher about the book. Good. Hardcover . (258589) $32.00
52. Organization of Arab Students in the USA News. NYC: Organization of Arab Students, jan 1966-mar 1967. vol 1 no 2,3,4,5.6, vo. 2 no. 1,2,3 Periodical each issue about 8-10 pages , slight library marks on covers, in library binder, articles on campus issues and political situation in Arab world, outer corners of pages furled frayed. Good. Wrapper. (271631) $125.00
53. Orzeszko, E P (Eliza Orzeszkowa). Meier Ezofowicz: Erzahlung aus dem Leben der Juden. Leipzig: Minden, 1885. 4. Auflage. 266 pp. paper yellowing but not brittle end paper loose from block, spine lacks pieces and torn, Novel of the conflict of Orthodoxy and liberalism in context of Jewish life in Eastern Europe. Was a popular novel of the time. Hero tries to break free of tradition and the power of the local Rabbi. Good-. Boards.
Illustrations by M Andriolli are extraordinary. Translated from the Polish by Leonhard Brixen (271235) $30.00
54. Osterreichischen Bundesverbandes Ehemals Politisch Verfolgter Antifaschisten. Mahnruf fur Freiheit und Menschenrecht. Wien: Bundesverbandes, Nov 1946-12/47. 12 issues,about 250 pp. hinges repaired and new spine, paper yellowing but not brittle. fair. boards.
Volume 1 of periodical published by surviving Austrian antifascists to report on their experiences during the Second World War,share information (271341) $65.00
55. Pagis Dan. Points of Departure. JPS, 1981. 123 pp. sfep. Very Good. Paperback. (271410) $15.00
56. Picart Bernard . The Religious Ceremonies and Customs of the Several Nations of the Known World: Represented in Above an Hundred Copper-Plates Designed by the Famous Picart. Together with Historical Explanations, and Several Curious Dissertations.: Vol. I (1731), The Ceremonies of the Jews, etc.; Vol. II (1731), The Ceremonies of the Roman Catholicks; Vol. III (1731), The Ceremonies of the Idolatrous Nations; Vol. IV (1735), Part II; Vol. V (1736), Containing the Ceremonies of the Greeks and Protestants; Vol. VI (1737) in Two Parts. Part I. Containing the Doctrine and Discipline of the Church of England, of the Presbyterians, Independents, Anabaptists, Quakers, etc. Part II. Containing the Various Sects of Mahometans, with an Appendix of the Lives of Mohamm. Prevost and Claude du Bosc, 1731-1739. 7 volumes in 3 ,set Folio (16 x 10 1/4″). Vol. 1: xx (i.e. xxii), 412pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 2: viii, 345, pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 3: x, 474pp; Vol. 4: , ix, , 514pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 5: , 470pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 6: , 228pp (Text), pp (Index), Vol. 7: , 164pp (Text), pp (Index). Original full calf, with gold lettering and tooling to spines. New cloth spines, new hinges, marbled end papers, covers have tooled fleur de lis some scuffing and scratch marks across some covers , Engraved title vignettes. Repairs to endpapers of Volume 1-2, with last page of Index page repair and missing some of text of letter W. Good. full calf.
vol 1 nicholas prevost london 1731 vol 2 nicholas prevost london 1731 (bound together) vol 3 nicholas prevost london 1731 vol 4 bettenham for claude du bosc 1735 (bound together), volume 5 claude de bosc 1736 volume 6 claude du bosc 1737volume 7 claude du bosc 1739 (bound together) (For more information, see: “The Book That Changed Europe: Picart and Bernard’s Religious Ceremonies of the World,” by Lynn Hunt, Margaret C. Jacob, and Wijnand Mijnhardt. Belknap Press / Harvard University Press, 2010). 224 plates present (269550) $4,000.00
57. Piech Paul Peter. Ecce homo: 12 original woodcuts. Bushey Heath Herts: Taurus Press, 1969. 12 woodcuts against War, number 35 of 200 printed and signed by him, the black wrapper is torn and bent , the woodcuts are in good shape. Good. Wrapper.
“The book of twelve original woodcuts symbolized through the theme of Christ indicts humanity for adding to the pages of history: Apartheid, Concentration Camps, Iron Curtain…” (271300) $265.00
58. Pinkerfeld Jacob. Bi-shevile omanut Yehudit: sefer zikaron. Sifriyat po’alim, ha-Mador, 1957. 155 pp. In Hebrew On the paths of Jewish Art reminiscences:: Contains .Architecture of the Synagogue; Synagogues in the Galut; Synagogues in Erez Yisrael; Art in the Cemeteries; Ceremonial Art; Ancient Synagogues.
Important architect Pinkerfeld also worked in the Department of Antiquities, and devoted much time and energy to preservation of significant sites in the country. He prepared plans for conservation and reconstruction of historical sites, such as Megido, the Monfort, the ancient synagogue of Bar-Am. He participated in numerous excavations (Hamat Gader, Korazim, Meron, Beit Shearim, etc.). In his last years he invested great efforts in preservation of historical buildings, among them Islamic sites. His dream was to establish a Research Institute for Jewish Art. Together with a group of friends he founded “Ganza”, the Society for Jewish Craft, which later became the Museum of Ethnography and Folklore in Tel Aviv (271522) $75.00
59. Remarque Erich . Oyfen maariv-front kayn nais; Ojfn Majrew-Front Kejn Najs. Wilno: Klekina, 1930. 241 pp. title and last page photo copied, covers worn, wear to crown and base of spine,pages yellowed and edges some slight tears. Good +. Boards.
Translated from the German by Isaac Bashevis Singer! graphic cover of soldier carrying wounded comrade across mine field (267933) $95.00
60. Rivkind Isaac. Yidishe Gelt in Lebnsteyger Kultur-Geshikhte un Folk[l]or: A Lekskologishe Shtudye/ Jewish Money in Folkways Cultural History and Folklore: A Lexicological Study. AAJR, 1958. 303 pp. blue cloth, quarto, In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (271262) $12.00
61. Rosenfeld Morris. Songs From the Ghetto. Copeland and Day, 1898. 113 pp. In German and English with beautiful book plate wear to spine crown and base of spine slight bruising. Good. Hardcover . (271137) $16.00
62. Rubin Simon Lektor am Wiener Beth Hamidrasch. Das Talmudische Recht auf den verschiedenen Stufen seiner Entwicklung mit dem römischen verglichen und systematisch dargestellt. Wien: 1938. 253 pp. ex library with markings, taped spine paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Boards. (271243) $15.00
63. Schocken Books. Schocken Reader II: Winter 1947-48. NY: Schocken, 1948. 47 pp. slight curling bottom corner first few pages Under Arendt’s (uncredited) editorship (David Anthony, The Patron: A Life of Salman Schocken: 347) Schocken produced an annual reader, a catalog and anthology in the German tradition. This, the second in the series, has a beautiful Rembrandt sketch on the cover (four plates on the inside show biblical themes, incl. “Boaz measuring out the barley for Ruth”), and the first publication of the Muir’s translation Kafka’s parables, as well as a contest, “Can You Translate the Untranslatable?” Also: Bernard Lazare’s “The Jews as a Nation”. Arendt had edited and introduced Lazare’s Job’s Dungheap for Schocken that year. For an account of Arendt’s time at Schocken, see Anthony 341ff and Young-Bruehl’s biography 189-91. good. pamphlet. (271371) $30.00
64. Schulman Rabbi Samuel. Judaism and the Destiny of the Individual: An address. London: World Union for Progressive Judaism, 1934. 32 pp. Beryl Cohon’s copy. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271622) $15.00
65. Segal Moshe. Yesude Haphonatekah HaIvrit. Palestine: Junovitch, 1928. 151 pp. + pictures. phonetics in Hebrew. Good. Cloth. (259606) $25.00
66. Seidman Irv. The Jewish Community of Amherst: The Formative Years 1969-1979. Common Book, 2017. 140 pp. Important work detailing the development and evolution of the JCA from a community center to a Reconstructionist shul and the impact of the surrounding Pioneer Valley community colleges and home to the Yiddish Book Center and Schoen Books. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270600) $25.00
67. Seydel Robert. Robert Seydel: Book of Ruth. Siglio Smith Colleege, 2014. 149 pp.Robert Seydel’s Book of Ruth presents an assemblage of collages, letters, journal entries and other artifacts from the life of Seydel’s fictional alter-ego, Ruth Greisman–spinster, Sunday painter and friend to Joseph Cornell. Drawing on the inherent seductiveness and intrigue of archives, the volume is conceived as a gathering of fragmented materials by Greisman unearthed from a storage space in the Smithsonian and a suburban family garage, which are presented as a mosaic portrait of a reclusive artist.(from Goodreads) Very Good. Paperback. (271590) $45.00
68. Spilka Shelley. Rescuing Haya: Confessions of an Eighth Generation Israeli Emigrant. SUNY, 2001. 295 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271414) $10.00
69. Strack Hermann. The Jew and Human Sacrifice [Human Blood and Jewish Ritual]. An Historical and Sociological Inquiry. London: Cope and Fenwick, 1909. 289 pp. new spine and end papers, covers worn. Good. Boards.
Written to counter the blood accusations. (271246) $36.00
70. Szajowski, Zosa. Jews, Wars, and Communism, Vol. I: The Attitude of American Jews to World War I, The Russian Revolutions of 1917 & Communism (1914-1945). Vol. II. The Impact of the 1919-20 Red Scare on American Jewish Life. NY: Ktav, 1972+ 1974. 713 pp.+ 398 pp. volume one pristine volume two dj worn and torn, slight foxing fore edge,volume two book plate and glue residue to free end paper . Very Good. Hardcover . (271355) $125.00
71. Timm Erika. Matronymika im aschkenasischen Kulturbereich; Ein Beitrag zur Mentalitats und Sozialgeschichte der europaischen Juden. Tubingen: Niemeyer, 1999. 66 pages. Very good. Wrapper. (258614) $25.00
72. Viteles Harry ken. A History of the Co-operative Movement in Israel. A Source Book in 7 Volumes. BOOK 1: The Evolution of the Co-oerative Movement. BOOK 2: The Evolution of the Kibbutz Movement. BOOK 3: An Analysis of the Four Sectors of the Kibbutz Movement. BOOK 4: Co-operative Smallholders Settlements (The Moshav Movement). BOOK 5: Workers Producers Transportation and Service Co-operatives. BOOK 6: Central Agricultural Co-operatives. BOOK 7: Consumers’ Co-opertaion., Vallentine Mitchell, 1966-1978. (252 pp. 749 pp. 751 pp. ;405 pp. 414 pp. ;750 pp. ;348 pp. ex library with withdrawn marks, back pockets removed, dj in plastic cover. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Significant work on the kibbutz movement. Harry Viteles, who was formerly in charge of the field work of the European Reconstruction Department of the Joint Distribution Committee went in 1925 to Palestine to conduct the affairs of the Central Bank of Co-operative Institutions in Palestine, (JTA) (256617) $150.00
73. Weitz M. Black Attitudes to Jews in the United States from World War II to 1976. University Microfilms, 1977. PhD theses 424 pp. number taped to spine and slight library stamp on fep. Very Good. Paperback. (259684) $10.00
74. Widmer Dr G (ubertragungen aus der Neuarabischen Literatur von). Band II: Der Iraqische Dichter Gamil Sidqi Az-Zahawi aus Baghdad. Festgabe für Ignaz Krackovskij, den Führer zum Studium der neueren arabischen Literatur 1905-1935. Deutsche Gesellschaft, 1935. 79 pp. tears to spine. Good. Wrapper. (258593) $30.00
75. Wyneken, Gustav. Der Gedankenkreis der Freien Schulgemeinde/Dem Wandervogel gewidmet. Leipzig: Matthes, 1913. 23 pp. covers worn. Good-. wrapper.
Early influence on Martin Buber (271195) $10.00
76. Yardeini Mordecai . Yiddish Poets in Song. Jewish Music Alliance, 1966. 346 pp. In Yiddish, covers worn, slight tear along hinge. Very Good. Hardcover . (271236) $20.00
77. Zweig Arnold. Die Umkehr des Abtrunnigen Schauspiel in 5 Akten. Berlin: Soncino Gesellschaft, 1925. 97 pp. ex library copy with a few stamps and bookplate, tape on spine and corners of cover , one of 500 copies printed. Good. Hardcover .
Important Jewish publishing house of the 1920s and 1930s (271213) $36.00
1. 4 Biblical Action Puppets cut out color assemble Made in Israel by Tahgin. Jerusalem: Tahgin, 1960s?. 4 large pages with stick to attach in plastic wrapping, amusing designs. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271477) $35.00
2. Agudat Anashim ohave Sefat Ever be defus St Petesburg . Kol shire Yehudah Leyb Gordon, be arbah sefarim Yeshanim ve gom Hadashim. Petersberg: Agudat Anashim ohave Sefat Ever be defus St Petesburg Fins ṿe-Y. Tsederboim, 1894. 147 + 206+ 209+ 210pp. Russian and Hebrew title pages, new spine covers worn, edges worn, work totally in Hebrew Scarce title highly signifigant. Good. Boards.
Judah Leyb Gordon one of the signifigant Hebrew poets of the Jewish Englightenment . Gordon took a leading part in the modern revival of the Hebrew language and culture. (271483) $360.00
3. Alberton M. Birobidschan, die Judenrepublik. Leipzig Wien: Prager, 1932. 268 pp. + map which is creased, covers worn, and bit soiled, hinge starting. Good. Boards. Aus dem Jiddischen von Hermann Peczenik unter Mitwirkung von Joshua Wiesen. (271111) $75.00
4. Ameriḳaner Reprezentants fun “Bund” in Poyln. Di Yidishe konferents : (zamlheft). New York: Aroysegegebn durkh der Amerikaner Reprezentants fun “Bund” in Poyln, , 1943. 63 pp.In Yiddish sligh tear to cover. (271724) $15.00
5. Amitai Mordekai (Mordechai ) written by by Props Moshe drawings by. Hagadah shel Pesah. Sifriyat poʻalim, hotsaʼat Hamaḥlaka Letarbut Vehasbara Shel Haḳibbuts Haʼartsi Hashomer Hatsaʻi, 1958. 38 pp. wine stains to cover, tears to spine, slight library marks to tp and last page , last few pages creased, two pages are text relating to the Shoah and with imgaes see Yerushalmi image. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. Yerushalmi Haggadah and History Plate 190 (271416) $85.00
6. Ashbal D . Zikranot MaAretz Yisrael Bemai HaTorabim Habretim VeMednat Yisrael. Jerusalem: Daah. 407 pp. In Hebrew manuscript form. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271032) $40.00
7. Ben Amotz Dahn. World Dictionary of Hebrew Slang Millon olamê le ibrit meduberi. Tel Aviv: Zmora Bitan, 1982. 237 pp. In Hebrew inription fep. Very Good. Hardcover . (271028) $27.00r
8. Ben-Arieh, Yehoshua. Jerusalem in the 19th Century The Old City. Ben Zvi St Martin, 1981. 438 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271048) $25.00
9. Benzeman Ozi. Yerushalayim Ir LeLo Homah. Schocken Books, 1973. 294 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271063) $17.00
10. Brawer Moshe editor. Israeli Atlas for High Schools. Univ of Tel Aviv Yavneh, 1976. seventh edition . 88 pp. In Hebrew interesting work and how the world has changed. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271058) $42.00
11. Buxtorf Johann . Joannis Buxtorfi Synagoga Judaica noviter restaurata : das ist, Erneuerte jüdische Synagog, oder, Juden-Schul. Frankfurt-am-Main: Kraussen, 1738?. 752 pp. + register, lacks title page and lacks two leaves of plates, has one page of engravings, in German. Good. vellum. Originally published in 1603, Buxtorf’s “Synagoga Judaica” was often used as the authority on Jewish customs and ceremonies.He claimed that the Jewish faith was derived not from Moses and the Torah but from the writing of the rabbis in the Talmud. . In it, the author asserted that the source of Jewish religious authority, beliefs, and practice was not the teachings of Moses, but rather the teachings of the rabbis. His intent ultimately was to convert Jews to Christianity and see the errors of their ways. Important tome. (271482) $175.00
12. Carlebach Elisheva. The Death of Simon Abeles Jewish Christian Tension in Seventeenth Century Prague. CJS Queens College, 2001. 44 pp. Third annual BermanMemorial Lecture. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271405) $18.00
13. Central Bureauof Statistics. Moslems Christians and Druzes in Israel; Data from Stage “A” and “B” on the Census. Jerusalem: 1964. about 250 pp. In English Hebrew and Arabic, top corners bumped and dog eared pages, pages yellowing but not brittle, slight library mark paste down and number on spine. Good-. Paperback. Population and Housing Census 1961 Publication 17 (271298) $36.00
14. Chezin J. Fun kheziles ṭogbukh = Fun cheziles togbuch. Warsaw: : Farlag Ḳind,, 1923. 78 pp. In Yiddish two illustrations, wonderful cover, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Boards. Child psychology (271406) $165.00
15. (Children) Egelson Gussie. Kindergarten handwork for the holidays, in 12 lessons. Union of American Hebrew Congregations., 1926. Nine of 12 lessons present with one page instruction strange item paper fragile. Fair. Stiff Wrapper. (271467) $15.00
16. (Children) . Religious Objects Construction Book. KTAV, 1953. about 20 pages of cutouts for children. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271463) $25.00
17. Dalman Gustaf. Grammatik des judisch-palastinischen aramaisch nach den idiomen des palastinischen Talmud, des Onkelostargum und prophetentargum und der jerusalemischen targume Aramaisch Dialektprobleme. Wiss. Buchhandlung, 1960. 418+ 72 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271228) $16.00
18. Davidowitz Dovid. Ohmanut veOhmonim v’Batei Knesset shel Polin. Kibbutz Hameuchad, 1982. 204 pp. + 20 pp. of photos, in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Crafts and craftsmen in the synagogues of Poland. With pictures of synagogues destroyed by the Nazis (271237) $27.00
19. Eisensein Ira. The Jewish Family Today. Reconstructionist Press, 1970s?. 22 pp A Reconstructionist pamphlet . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271433) $23.00
20. Ellmann-Kruger A. Library Resources for German-Jewish Genealogy (Avotaynu Monograph Series). Avotaynu, 1998. 80 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271378) $15.00
21. Elon Amos. The Pity of it All (in Hebrew); A History of the Jews in Germany 1743-1933. NY: Zmora, 2004. 460 pp. In Hebrew. Very good condition. Paperback. (271053) $20.00
22. Endelman, Todd (editor). Jewish Apostasy in the Modern World. NY: Holmes and Meier, 1987. 344 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. Twelve Essays, Explores Christian missions to the Jews and Jewish conversion to Christianity (271638) $15.00
23. Ezekiel ben Judah Landau. Sefer Nodaʻ bi-Yehudah : ṿe-hu sheʼelot u-teshuvo; Helek 1. Dine ha-Shʻa., Orah ḥayim ve-Yoreh deʻah. Zolkiew : Gerson Letteres, 1823. about 300 pp. In Rashi script boards bit worn Stamp of Zvi Dov Abramowitz and bound with Tson ḳedashim : … seder kedashim by Abraham Ḥayyim ben Naphtali Hirsch Schor about 100 pp. Good. Boards. Important Prague Rabbi of the 18th Century. Opposed Mendelssohn’s translation of the Torah and he was against Hassidism. His main work of responsa, titled Noda Biyhudah (נודע ביהודה, “Known in Judah”, a reference to Psalms 76:2 and his father’s name), is one of the principal sources of Jewish law of his age. Famous decisions include those limiting autopsy to prevent a clear and present danger in known others. This collection was esteemed by rabbis and scholars, both for its logic and for its independence with regard to the rulings of other Acharonim as well as its simultaneous adherence to the writings of the Rishonim. (Wikipedia) (270970) $325.00
24. Finn James. Stirring Times: or Records from Jerusalem Consular Chronicles of 1853 to 1856 : Library for the History of the Yishuv in Eretz-Israel. ben zvi, 1980. 26+293 pages + 295-607 pages In Hebrew. Good +. Paperback. (271047) $40.00
25. Flusser David. Judaism of the Second Temple Period: Qumran and Apocalypticism Voume 1 The Jewish Sages and their Literature. Eerdmans Magnes, 2007. 360+380 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263081) $36.00
26. Friend Robert. The Practice of Absence. Beth Shalom Press, 1971. 32 pp. inscribed to Hanna important Israeli poet close friend of Jane Trigere. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271309) $36.00
27. Friend, Robert. Dancing with a Tiger; Love and Sex Poems. Beth-Shalom Press, 1990. 86 pp. Inscribed by the author. Very Good. Paperback. (271377) $25.00
28. Furman Wendi and Singer Matthew (organizers). Wimpel! Wrapped Wishes December 17-February 21. Philadelphia: Museum of Jewish Art at Rodeph Shalom, 2009/2010. Exhibiton catalog about 24 pages, includes works by Polly Afelbau, Denaiel Heyman, Tristin Lowe, Leslie Sudock, Jane Trigere and Estelle Yarinsky. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271455) $30.00
29. Goldberg,Leah R. Friend (Translator). Selected Poems. Menard, 1976. 64 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271310) $23.00
30. Goldschmidt Daniel Shelomoh. Seder HaSleichot Keminhag Lita VeKehillot HaPerush BaAretz Yisrael. Mossad Ha Rav Kook, 1964. 259 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271123) $25.00
31. Gonen Rivka Kroyanker David . To Live in Jerusalem. Israel Museum. 188 pp. Exhibition catalog Kroyanker on Residential Architecture Gonen on Life styles and interiors Beldgrun on Water Light and Magic wonderful exhibit inspired. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271041) $45.00
32. Greene Gloria. The Jewish Holiday Cookbook An internatioal collection of recipes and customs. Times, 1985. 399 pp. fore edge slightly stained. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271062) $17.00
33. Gritzky Pinchas Ben Zvi. Binot Tsion BeYerushalayim. Yad Ben Zvi, 1990. 479 pp. In Hebrew with biographies of the women and pictures. Very Good. Hardcover . (271046) $45.00
34. Gross (Gruss?0 Uaaov. Jersalem 1917/8 Hurban Nas VeGeulah. Belfor, 1992. 479 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271034) $45.00
35. Gursan-Salzmann, Ayse;Salzmann, Laurence. Anyos Munchos I Buenos: Turkey’s Sephardim 1492-1992. Blue Flower, 1991. 64 pp. Beth Hatefusoth invited them to do a photo documentation of Jewish monuments throughout Turkey, they also included photos of the Jews of Turkey, book signed by Laurence Salzmann. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271338) $36.00
36. Hebrew Course by TV Sheor Ivrit Beteliviziah 1-5,5-10,11-15. HaUnivesrsite Hapetuhah Misrad HaHinuch VeHarbut, 1970s?. In Hebrew, thre volumes about 600 pp., unique way of teaching Hebrew. Good. Paperback. (271030) $48.00
37. Heller Yehudit BeZvi. Kan Gam BeCayitz HaGesehm Yored Shirim. Tov Lada’at Publishers?. 30 pp. In Hebrew half of title page cut off with publisher and year. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271036) $25.00
38. Hemin Yves et al. Pascin. Catalogue Raisonnè. Tome/Vol. I-IV + Index. [5 Vols.]. Vol. I+II: Peintures, aquarelles, pastels, dessins. Vol. III: Simplicissimus, gravures, lithographies, illustrations, sculptures, objects. Vol. IV: dessins, aquarelles, pastels, peintures, dessins èrotiques. Vol. V: Index historiques des oeuvres. Paris: La Bibliotheque des Arts , 1984-1991. Five volumes including index booklet One of 2000 copies . Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Julius Mordecai Pincas (March 31, 1885 – June 5, 1930), known as Pascin, or the “Prince of Montparnasse”, was of Bulgarin Sephardic origin. Pascin was educated in Vienna and Munich. He traveled for a time in the United States, spending most of his time in the South. He is best known as a Parisian painter, who associated with the artistic circles of Montparnasse. He committed suicide at the height of his success in Paris. (270675) $225.00
39. Hertz Dr. J H the Chief Rabbi. Sayings of the Fathers Sailors’.Soldiers’ and Airmen’s edition. London: Office of the Chief Rabbi, 1943. 111 pp. croner bumped., slight tears o corners. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271103) $10.00
40. Jacoby Ruth. Architectural Glossary Jerusalem Index of Jewish Art Ancient Jewish Synagogues. Jerusalem: Centre for Jewish Art, 1988. 31 pp. 8bo. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271194) $24.00
41. Kahn Eliott. An Inventory of the Samuel Rosenbaum Collection. JTS, 2002. 110 pp. Music arranged by Hazzan Samuel Rosenbaum. Very Good. Wrapper. (270981) $25.00
42. Katsch Prof Abraham (compiler) Katsh Abraham. Catalogue of Hebrew Manuscripts Preserved in the USSR Part 2 Ginze Russiyah. NYU Library of Judaica, 1957. 138 mimeograph pages inscribed to Cyrus from Katsch. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. Contains facsimiles of Genizah manuscripts of Bible, Mishnah, Talmud, Midrashim, Halakhah, Liturgy and Judeo Arabic from the Antonin Cairo Genizah Collection in Leningrad., Includes part of Ben Asher’s Bible Codex of the Firkowitch collection which was copied in Old Cairo in 1008/9 (270674) $125.00
43. Katz Jacob editor. he Role of Religion in Modern Jewish History : Proceedings of Regional Conferences of the Association for Jewish Studies, Held at the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Toronto in March-April 1974. AJS, 1975. 169 pp. eight amazing essays. crease to cover. Very Good. Hardcover . (264484) $40.00
44. Koubovi Saul. Work Accident Issues. Tel aviv: Shmuel, 1994. 195 pp. In Hebrew . (271027) $30.00
45. Kuspit Donald essay by and Susan Chevlowe. Paintings by Leonard Meiselman. Yeshiva University Museum, 2002. 36 pp. using 9/11 and the Shoah as themes and quest for meaning and use of tallit in imagery. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271476) $30.00
46. Levine Samuel. You Take Jesus, I’ll Take God: How to Refute Christian Missionaries. Hamorah, 1989. 135 pp.cover slight crease. Good. Paperback. (271423) $15.00
47. Levy Jack. Jewish Rhodes: A Lost Culture. Magnes, 1985. 96 pp. corners slightly bumped. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271044) $23.00
48. Life Story Paper Doll with nine inch Jewish paper doll. Berkeley California: Lah ti da Creations, 1977. Included are The story of Shannos, 6 pages of clothes to color, 2 pages to color yourself, A house front, One family kitchen A Grandma cookie recipe to bake 9 shabbos night serving dishes no scissors necessary. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. “This doll with its life story and artifacts will delight any child who has asked how people lived in Grandma’s time during the 1930’s. The story is authentic. The vent happened to a real woman when she was a child. (271486) $36.00
49. Loewy Dr Joseph and Guens Joseph revised English translation. Haggadah shel Pesach Sevice for the First Nights of Passover. Tel Aviv: Sinai, 1950. 77 pp. + 3 pages of music, pseudo leather, inscription on paste down, with coper plate image of Jerusalem by Bezalel with palm trees and vista. Good +. pseudo leather. (271115) $36.00
50. Lotan Yael chef redakteur. Ariel Ein vierteljahrssschrift zur Kunst und Bildung in Israel. Jerusalem: Ariel, 1976-1979. Each issue about 120 pp. filled with articles No 41 + 42 (1976) 43 + 44 (1977) 47 (1978) 48 (1979) 6 issues. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271004) $85.00
51. Luntz Hanna. Chaye Abi Hadpesah MeYehadut “Mah Yerushalayim” Kerech Yud Gimel. Jerusalem: 1918?. 42 pp. lacks cover tears to tp and back cover, inscribed to “LeBenei Moshe” Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271100) $32.00
52. Luther Martin translator. Ruth. Insel Verlag, 1920s?. 22 pp. spine lacking, beautiful woodcut on title page and printing. Good. Boards. (271104) $25.00
53. Mah nishtanah Puzzle. Schulsinger, 1960s. Puzzle out of hard cardboard quite beautiful imagery father and son, son standing and reading four questions, set table and son wearing a suit and father beaming, idealized imagery. Good. cardboard. (271480) $40.00
54. Mahzor Rav Peninim LeYom HaKippurim Nusach Sefarad. Jerusalem: Lewin Epstein , 1960s?. 323 pp. Has decorated psueo leather covers with window copper plate view of two Jews parying at the Kotel done by Bezalel. Good +. psuedo leather. (271113) $36.00
55. Malkin Maccabit (inscribed by). Hasagat gbwl :siyriym Trespass Poems. Eqed, 2003. 39 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271037) $25.00
56. Malkin Maccabit. Shahor, lavan ṿe-do : shirim Black White & Do Poems. Carmel, 2005. 54 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (271038) $28.00s
57. Mann Thomas. Leiden an Deutschland; Tageblatter aus den Jahren 1933 und 1934. Los Angeles: Pazifischen Presse, 1946. Leather spine torn especially at crown and along side the leather of spine, spine scuffed and worn, cover boards worn and slight bumping to corners, limited edition , 172/250 signed by Thomas Mann on colophon. Good. Boards. “Privatdruck der Pazifischen Presse von Ernst Gottlieb und Felix Guggenheim herausgegeben und besorgt. Die einmalige Auflage von 500 Exemplaren wurde in Fournier Antiqua bei der Plantin Presse in Los Angeles im Jahre 1946 gedruckt. Die ersten 250 Exemplare sind in Halbleder gebunden und vom Autor handschriftlich signiert. Die Verteilung der Gesamtauflage liegt in den Händen von Mary S. Rosenberg [New York].” (Kolophon). (271368) $675.00
58. Margalit Dan. Raʼiti otam I Have Seen them All. Zimora, 1997. 336 pp. in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271033) $24.00
59. Miller Allan. The Reconstructionist Position. Reconstructionist Press, 1970s?. 14 pp. A Reconstructionist pamphlet. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271429) $20.00
60. Misrahi Hanina. Toldot Yehude Paras u-meshorerehem/ The History of the Persian Jews and Their Poets. Maas, 1966. 130 pp. dj torn In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271253) $20.00
61. Mor Menachem editor. Jewish Sects, Religious Movements, and Political Parties. Creighton, 1992. 426 pp. symposium transactions. Very Good. Hardcover . (262972) $15.00
62. Mosheh Berlin; M Freystadt. Sefer Metav higayon: lolel yesodot ye ikare kelale hokhmat ha-higauon, im dine v darkhe ha mishpatim…ve nilyu elehem Shene luhot ketovet even. Konigsberg: Hartungschen Hofbuchdruckere, 1845. xii, 67 pages introduction in Latin Rashi script, then Hebrew , lacks plates illustrations at end. Good. Boards. (270971) $65.00
63. Moss, David. The Moss Haggadah: A complete reproduction of the Haggadah written and illuminated by David Moss for Richard and Beatrice Levy. Bet Alpha, 1990. Includes print of the “Book Cage” in attached folder and the English translation booklet. Magnificent loving work by a master artist.,slight crease beginning to top of dust jacket. Very good condition. Hardback & DJ. (271140) $236.00
64. Muchawsky-Schnapper, Ester, edited by. Les Juifs d’Alsace: Village, tradition, emancipation. Israel Museum, 1991. 48+ 54 pp. In French and Hebrew beautiful exhibition catalog and text. Very Good. Hardcover . (271346) $30.00
65. (Music) Seligmann, Rabbiner Dr. Hagada Liturgie fur die hausliche Feier der Sederabende in deutscher Sprache. Frankfurt: Kauffmann, 1913. 65pp. Mit Bildern aus einer handschriftlichen Amsterdamer Hagada vom Jahre 1738. tears to backstrip, slight stains (of course) filled with songs and pictures.stamp on tp, needs tightening. Good condition. decorated Boards. (271333) $40.00
66. Neusner Jacob. “Being Jewish and Studying about Judaism” with David Blumenthal Judaic Studies An Exercies in the Humanities. Emory, 1977. 22 + 16 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271446) $18.00
67. Nevo Yehosafat. Perush Rebbe Yosef Bechor Schor Al HaTorah. Mossad Ha Rav Kook, 1994. 404 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271125) $25.00
68. Niebuhr, Reinhold (inscribed and signed by). Moral Man and Immoral Society –A Study of Ethics and Politics. NY: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1932. 12mo 284 pp. has Scribner A on copy right page, dust jacket quite torn and half of spine of dust jacket lacking, covers worn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. One line inscription from Niebuhr to a reader and signed by Niebuhr, One of the most significant works of the 20th Century and referred to as inspirational by at least one President. (271387) $2,750.00
69. (Palestine) . Holy Land Album Views and Flowers; Artificial Pictures of the Holy Places Views of Old and New Jerusalem The Cities of Judea and Galilea and all Jewish Colonies in Palestine. 21 pp. with map of Paletine, pressed flowers faing images of Jerusalem, vrious towns, settlements and last page Zecher LeChurban(Translated as Memorial of the Temple Ruins with mourners in Babylon, Jerusalem printed on cover, scace work. Good. olive wood with cloth spine. Souvenir book (271107) $150.00
70. (Palestine) American Sunday School Union. Ancient Edom, and the Fulfillment of Prophecy in the Preset State of Arabia Petrea. American Sunday School, 1839. front map creased and torn, hinge started, boards worn , leather spine torn,many images intrnally, 139 pp. Good-. Boards. (271075) $57.00
71. (Palestine) Arif Arif Al. Shiftei HaBeduin Bimhuz Beer Sheva. Tel Aviv: Bustani, nd. 190 pp. In Hebrew translated into Hebrew by M Kaplivek covers worn stained base of spine torn. Good-. Hardcover . (271065) $45.00
72. (Palestine) Barr Robert. The Unchanging East Two Volumes. Page, 1900. 256 + 254 pp. many illustrations. Good +. Hardcover . (271077) $36.00
73. (Palestine) Buber M Magnes J L Simon E. Towards Union in Palestine, Essays on Zionism and Jewish-Arab Cooperation. Jerusalem: IHUD, 1947. 124 pp. new covers and title on middle of cover. Good +. Wrapper. (270230) $100.00
74. (Palestine) Buckingham J S. Travels in Palestine through the Countries of Bashan and Gilead East of the River Jordan; Including a visit to the Cities of Gezara and Gamala. London: Longman Hurst, 1822. Second Edition. Volume 1 of 2, 402 pages; title page and fronitspiece of Buckingham some damp staining, map of Palestine torn, map of Jerusalem intact, beautifully rebound and with new endpapers, some browning to fore edges. Good. Boards. (270588) $175.00
75. (Palestine) Carhart Alfreda. It Happened in Syria. Revell, 1940. 128 ppdj trn . growing up in Syria child of missionaries. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271086) $17.00
76. (Palestine) De Hass Frank. Buried Cities Recovered, Or, Explorations in Bible Lands. Philadelphia: Bradley, 1884. 509 pp. crown and base of spine bumped. Good. Boards. (271061) $55.00
77. (Palestine) Fergusson James. The Temples of the Jews, and the Other Buildings in the Haram Area at Jerusalem. London: John Murray, 1878. 304 pp.+ seven plates in back pouch (eight are expected) ex library with markings, wear to crown and base of spine, decorated cloth covers, filled with illustrations, plan on pae 200 is creased. Good-. Hardcover . (271117) $125.00
78. (Palestine) Fulton John DD. Paelstine The Holy Land as it was and as it is. Winston, 1900. 527 pp. with many color maps, book plate, embossed stamp tp. Good. Hardcover . (271074) $25.00
79. (Palestine) Gunzburg S A verfasst von Zwebner A (hsrg). Perahei Eretz HaKedushah MaHakumot Hakedoshim vekol Perek Shirah Amo Blumen vom Heiligen Lande Von den bedeutendsten Statten daselbst.nebst passenden Liedern. Jerusalem: 1900?. In Hebrew about twenty pages with pressed flowers, some disintegrating, new cloth covers , new end papers. Good. Hardcover . Souvenir book (271105) $65.00
80. (Palestine) Harland Marion. Home of the Bible: What I Saw and Heard in Palestine and the Story of Martyred Armenia, the Christian People of Ancient Eden and Their Cruel Persecutions by the Moslems. Christian Herald, 1896. 440 pp. hinges started some loose pages. Good. Hardcover . (271087) $25.00
81. (Palestine) Himadeh Sa’id. Economic organization of Palestine. Beirut: American Press, 1938. 602 pp. number on spine. Very Good. Hardcover . (269313) $45.00
82. (Palestine) Hurlburt Jesse tour conducted bt. Traveling in the Holy Land Through the steroscope. Underwood, 1906. 220 pp. library book plate hinge started map creased at back of book. Good. Hardcover . (271076) $25.00
83. (Palestine) Hyamson, Albert. The British Consulate in Jerusalem in relation to the Jews of Palestine: 1838-1861 Part I and Part 2. London: JHSE: Goldston, 1939. 294 pp .tears to spine part 2 295-580 pp .tears and stains along back side of cover and top side of first five pages not affecting text. good. Paperback. (271091) $45.00
84. (Palestine) Hyamson, Albert. Palestine Old and New. London: Mehtuen, 1928. 287 pp. inscription on fep. good. Hardcover . (271092) $45.00
85. (Palestine) Kidder D P. The Arab. Carlton, 1854. 177 pp. with illustrations, covers worn, former owner name and date on pastedown, hinge starting, some child’s pencil srawls on endpapers, historial study, tracing to Ishmael, Moslem sites including Mt Sinai, tour of the Mid East, material on Mohammed and the beginnings of the Moslem faith etc. Scarce work do not see on worldcat. Good-. Boards. (271078) $100.00
86. (Palestine) Macgregor J. The Rob Roy on the Jordan, Nile, Red Sea, and Gennesareth A Canoe Cruise in Palestine and Egypt and the Waters of Damascus. Harper, 1870. 464 p. hinge starting some loose pages, crown and base of spine bruised. Good. Hardcover . (271090) $20.00
87. (Palestine) Manor Dalia. Art in Zion: The Genesis of Modern National Art in Jewish Palestine. Routledge, 2005. 258 pp. slight pencil underlining and marking. Very Good. Hardcover . (262558) $45.00
88. (Palestine) Matson G Olaf. The American Colony Palestine guide. American olony Stores, 1930. third edition. 333 pp. lacks top part of spine book plate, tear along side of map at front, inserted large map of Jerusalem and Environs tucked in pocket, folded many times has some tears, amazing document. Good. Hardcover . A small travel guidebook for Palestine and the surrounding area. With maps, suggested excursions, descriptions of the people, etc. Does not contain suggestions for hotels or prices.Has ads at end for htoels. (271083) $100.00
89. (Palestine) Miller Madeleine. The Merchant of the Muristan and other Palestine Folks; A FiresideTravel Book. Abingdon, 1927. 272 pp. hinge started crown and base of spine slight tears. Good. Hardcover . (271082) $30.00
90. (Palestine) Nini Yehuda. Yemen and Zion: The Jews of Yemen, 1800 – 1914: A Political and Social Study of Their Emigration to Palestine. Hassifriya Haziyonit, 1982. 345 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (267808) $32.00
91. (Palestine) Osborn Rev Henry. Palestine, Past and Present. With Biblical, Literary, and Scientific Notices. Challen, 1859. 594 pp. one of two maps in back is torn, tear along spine crown and base of spine bruised. Good. Boards. (271059) $50.00
92. (Palestine) Palmer E H. The Desert of the Exodus : journeys on foot in the wilderness of the forty years’ wanderings : undertaken in connexion with the ordnance survey of Sinai, and the Palestine exploration fund. Harper & Row, 1872. 470 pp. many illutsrations, some dog eared pages, wear to crown and base of spine. Good. Hardcover . (271081) $36.00
93. (Palestine) Russell Rev Michael. Palestine: Or, the Holy Land: from the Earliest Period to the Present Time. Harper & Row, 1836. 330 pp. needs new spine, map torn, book plate, reading copy. Fair. Boards. (271079) $18.00
94. (Palestine) Russell Rev Michael. Palestine: Or, the Holy Land: from the Earliest Period to the Present Time. Harper & Row, 1836. 330 pp. new spine with new title, map intact, foxing throughout. Fair. Boards. (271185) $25.00
95. (Palestine) Schiller Ely editor . Jerusalem in Old Engravings and Illustrations. Ariel, 1978. 85+ 84 pp. In English and Hebrew. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271094) $15.00
96. (Palestine) Thomson, W.M. The Land and the Book; Biblical Illustrations drawn from the Manners and Customs, the Scenes and Scenery of the Holy Land. NY: Harper, 1868. 560 pages + 614 pages some foxing throughout crown and base of spine slight tears. Good. Cloth. (271088) $30.00
97. (Palestine) Treves Frederick. The Land that is Desolate An account of a Tour in Palestine. Murray, 1928. 286 pp. covers worn tear to crown of spine. Good. Hardcover . (271066) $15.00
98. (Palestine) Tristram H B Canon of Durham. The Land of Moab: Travels and Discoveries On the East Side of the Dead Sea and the Jordan. Harper & Row, 1873. 415 pp. wear to crown of spine. Good +. Hardcover . (271089) $30.00
99. (Palestine) Van-Lennep Henry. Bible lands : their modern customs and manners, illustrative of scripture. Harper & Row, 1875. 832 pp. two color maps wonderful illustrations crown and base of spine bruised . Good +. Boards. (271060) $55.00
100. (Palestine) Wilson Major R D . Cordon and Search with 6th Airborne Division in Palestine. Gale and Polden, 1949. 275 pp. includes charts and map, covers a bit discolored. Good +. Hardcover. Detailed divisional history of the British 6th Airborne division, serving in Palestine Sept 1945 to May 1948, describes counter-insurgency operations in cities and kibbutzim rounding up Irgun. (257405) $18.00
101. (Palestine) Wright Thomas. Early Travels in Palestine, Comprising the Narratives of Arculf, Willibald, Bernard, Saewulf, Sigurd, Benjamin of Tudela, Sir John Maundeville, De La Brocquiere, and Maundrell. Bohn, 1848. 512 pp. new hinges and repair to spine. Good. Hardcover . (271183) $30.00
102. (Palestine). New Map of Palestine Showing the Proposed U.N. Boundaries of Israel’ Jewish and ARab Towns, Villages and Settlements;Plans of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Haifa, Index of Place Names. Jewish Chronicle, 1947/48?. large map with slight tears, folded and opens up. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271186) $85.00
103. (Palestine). Report of the Interim Committee and the Commission on Rescue, Commission on Palestine, Commission on Post-War to the Delegate. American Jewish Congress, 1944. Octavo, paper covers, 128 pp. slight library mark on covers, tear to cover, taped spine. Very Good. Paperback. (266300) $55.00
104. (Palestine). Souvenir von Jerusalem. 18902?. library bookplate on back pastedown, in red buckram covers with four lines of Hebrew above title,decorative covers in art nouveuish style. One folded sheet that opens up with fourteen pages of photographs, numbers of photographs size varies, some panoramic views continue over up to four pages; Locations include A Panorama of Jerusalem, the Wailing Wall, Tower of David, Jaffa Street, Mount of Olives, Tomb of Absalom, View of Bethlehem, Nablos, Mount Tabor,Rischon le Zion Colony , Rehovot, Jessud Hamaaloh; captions in English, German, French, Russian and Hebrew.Includes magnificent small folded color litho of exile Jews by the waters of Babylon and titleZecher le Churban, with slight library mark . Good. Boards. Souvenir album (271108) $150.00
105. (Palestine)Monzon A L. Blumen und Ansichten aus dem heiligen Lande. Jerusalem: Lith. A.L. Monsohn, after 1892. about 12 pp. lithograph color image of location and pressed flowers, images translated into Russian, English, German Hebrew and French, some ex library markings Bevelled wooden covers with carved inscription: Views and Flowers of the Holy Land: Good. olive wood. souvenir book (271106) $65.00
106. (Paletine) Magnes Judah M. Reiner, Lord Samuel, E. Simon, M. Smilansky. Palestine- Divided or United; The case for a bi-national Palestine Before the United Nations. Jerusalem: IHUD, 1947. 104 pp. Good. Wrapper. (270128) $85.00
107. Parik Arno. The Jewish Town of Prague. Oswald, 1992. 95 pp. wonderful color photos of Jewish Prague and the synagogues and cemeteires. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271363) $20.00
108. Piccirillo Michelle. Mount Nebo (Studium Biblicum Franciscanum Guide Books, 2). Jerusalem: Custodia Terra Santa. 110 pp. filled with text and color illustrations. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271312) $30.00
109. Rahel. Shirat Rahel. Davar, 1977. 280 pp. In Hebrew Important Israeli poet. Very Good-. Hardcover . (271055) $26.00
110. Reiner, Elchanan. Arba’at bate-ha-keneset ha-sefaradiyim al-shem Rabi Yohanan ben Zakai / The Yochanan Ben Zakkai Four Sephardi Synagogues. The Council of the Sephardi and Oriental Communities in Jerusalem , 1980. 48 pp. corner creased . Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271412) $18.00
111. Rhind W G. The Tabernacle in the Wilderness; The Shadow of Heavenly Things. Three Engravings, coloured, and inlaid with gold, silver, and brass, according to the texts of scripture: With explanatory notes. London: Bagster, 1842. 35 pp. + appendix ;half bound (spine and corners) all binding cloth, and three colored plates, covers worn stained.slightly discolored and blotchy, cloth, corner pages bumped slightly, one particular color (brown) has transferred and slightly stained the facing page of Camp at Rest , seen also on pp. 27 Israel Marching. Good. Boards. First edition (271343) $275.00
112. Rosenwald Lessing and Berger Elmer. News from the American Council for Judaism Highlights of the Yiddish and Hebrew Press A weekly Digest. ACJ , January 5 1951-. Vol II no. 19-48 vol iii no 1-17 about 150 mimeographed pages of news, press releases poisiton papers and speeches bound together covering many areas especially opposition to the the state of Israel. Good. library binding. Tenets of ACJ Nationality and relgion are distinct, reject concept that Jews outside of Israel are in exile,, nationalism of the state of Israel should reside within that state, no Jew or group of Jews can represent or speak for the Jews of America (271206) $135.00
113. Rutgers Leonard. The Jews in Late Ancient Rome: Evidence of Cultural Interaction in the Roman Diaspora. Brill, 2000. 280 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271422) $15.00
114. Sahwell Aziz. Verite sur “Exodus”…le veritable exode Premiere Partie “Exodues” Une deformation de la verite Deuxieme Partie reprodcution d’une article de M Erskine Childers dans Le Spectator. Geneve: Le Connaitre, 1962. 1-33 pp. _ 35-75 pp. ex library with markings On the expulsion of The “Palestinians” during the War of Liberation. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (255085) $75.00
115. Saldarini A. Pharisees, Scribes and Sadducees in Palestinian Society: A Sociological Approach. Glazier, 1988. 324 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (263030) $16.00
116. Sarfati Rachel. Offerings from Jerusalem : portrayals of holy places by Jewish artists : = Minhah sheluhah : Te’vre mekomot kedoshim bi-yede omanim Yehudim. Israel Museum, 1996. 37 75 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (260279) $25.00
117. Schick Marvin. A census of Jewish day schools in the United States 2013-2014. Avi Chai, 2014. 34 pp. back cover creased. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271448) $25.00
118. Schur Nathan. Sefer ha-nosʻim le-Erets Yisraʼel : ba-meʼah ha-19. The Book of Travellers to the Holy Land the 19th Century. Keter, 1988. 371 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271042) $40.00
119. Simckes Seymour. The Comatose Kids. Fiction Collective, 1975. illsutrated by Mimi Grooms dj worn and creased wild story by important American Jewish playwright author of Seven Days of Mourning. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270985) $25.00
120. Simon Dr I (redacteur). Revue Histoire de la Medicine Hebraique. Paris: 1950-1961. Nr 5, 7, 10, 24, 31,33, 37, 38, 40, 41, 44, 50, 53, 54 (14 issues) ex library with markings and pockets, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266885) $65.00
121. Sukenik Eliezer. Megilloth genuzoth mitokh genisah qedumah senimzah bamidbar jehudah. Bialik, 1948. 43 pp. with plates. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271325) $65.00
122. United Nations General Assembly. Special Committee on Palestine Working Documentation prepared by the Secretariat Volume II +III; General Background Survey. NY: United Nations, 19 + 20 May 1947. 356 pp + 11 + 294 pp.maps noting the partition plans, population distribution (1944),provincial autonomy plan, historical documentation of attempts to absorb refugees from Nazi Europe and restrictions pages are yellowing, first few pages are brittle some have tears and separated from the book but all text present, stiny library mark tp part three pages are yellowing, first few pages separated from binding, pages yellow but not brittle, covers many aspects of Palestine, economy,georgraphy,history. popilation,religion, health. land etc. library mark on spine and slight library mark. Good-. library binding. Restricted A/AC.13/2 Summaries of all the documents, recommendations, proposals and annexes and maps.Restricted A/AC.13/3 selected excerpts from of official soruces such as Palestine Royal Comm Report , A Survey of Palestine 1945/46, , Statistical Abstract of Palestine 1944-1945, Report of the Anglo American Committee of Inquiry regarding the problems of European Jewry and Palestine (Cmd 6808 dept of State Publ No 2536) for use by members of Special Committee of Palestine. (271233) $165.00
123. Weinberger Mozes Carmilly. A Kolozsvári zsidosag emlekkonyre.Sefer zikaron le-Yahadut Kluz’Koloz’var. Memorial volume for the Jews of Cluj-Kolozsvar. New York: 1970. 468 pp. In Hungarian and Hebrew, binder’s copy disbound and lacks about 13 pages, needs binding. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271399) $55.00t
124. Weiss Dena chief editor. Mima ‘Amakim The Journal of Artistic Expression of the Jewish Religious Experience Volume 7. Wesport: Mima ‘Amakim, 2007. 81 pp. filled with poetry and photos . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271375) $36.00
125. Wengrov Rabbi Charles. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur a pictorial coloring book. Schulsinger, 1960. 25 pp. father and son walking home from shul and father telling long story idealized imagery. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271478) $36.00
126. William William Carlos. The World Contrated to a Recognizable Image Selected Poems. Carmel, 2005. In Hebrew translated by Maccabit Malkin 157 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271039) $30.00
127. Wohlberg Hazzan Max. Chemdat Shabbat a new Sabbath morning service for Hazzan and Congregation. Cantors Assembly, 1971. 48 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270980) $23.00
128. Wolfsohn Aaron. Sefer Iov im targum ashkenazi uveur me’et Aaron Wolfsohn. . . [Book of Job]. Wien: Schmid, 1817. With Rashi and Beur and translation into German Hebrew, covers worn, writing on pastedown and fep, lacks first title page and frontispiece, has second title page. Good. Full Calf. . Among the most radical of the early maskilim, he was one of the editors of *Ha-Me’assef during its Berlin period, and editor in chief in 1797. Important educator (270990) $125.00
129. Woodboard Puzzle Mother braiding CHallah with Daughter for ages 2 to 5. Aviv Judaica Imports, 1982. In color , still wrapped idealized imagey. Very Good. wood board. (271479) $36.00
130. Workmen’s Circle. Our School A Magazine for Parents and Teachers. NY: Workman’sCircle, January -December 1936. Vol VI no 1-8, In Yiddish, filled with articles. Good +. Hardcover . (270541) $40.00
131. Zafrani, Haim. Pedagogie Juive en Terre D’islam
; L’Enseignement Traditionnel de L’Hebreu et du Judaisme au Maroc. Paris: Lib D’Amerique, 1969. 191 pp. sfep and pencil underlined. Good +. Paperback. (269746) $32.00
132. Zohar Leah et al. Ezrat Nashim Sippurim Ivrim al Ahavah Ivah VeTekuvah ben Nashim. Tuvi Sofer Motze LeOr, 1996. 175 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (271051) $25.00
1. “A Quarterly Reviewer”. Aspects of the Jewish Question: Zionism and Anti-Semitism. Bloch, 1902. 98 pp. slight library marks With chapter of Germans and Anti Semitism and also charts of percentage of Jews in various cities in 1901 Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270631) $25.00
2. Allen Marilyn. Alien Minorities and..Mongrelization. Measor, 1949. 474 pp. dj tears anti African and anti Jewish vitriolic.Includes diatribe against miscegenation and Zionist conspiracies . Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265049) $46.00
3. Bamberger Naftali Bar Giora. Der judische Friedhof in Celle. Memor-Buch. Carl Winter, 1992. 232 pp. folio size. Very Good. Hardcover . (267359) $75.00
4. Bar-Giora Bamberger, Naftali. Der judische Friedhof in Schmieheim : Memor-Buch; Zwei Bande. Gemeinde Kippenheim, 1999. 1078 pp. in two volumes, filled with pictures of graves. folio Includes Lagerplan. Very Good-. Hardcover .
Photo of each stone with explanation/translation of the Hebrew text into German (270374) $136.00
5. Bassani Giorgio. L’Alba ai vetri. Poesie 1942-50. Einaudi, 1963. 95 pp. covers worn, sfep, embossed stamp tp. Good +. Hardcover .
Jewish Italian novelist, had been arrested for anti fascist activity (270639) $25.00
6. Bergner Yosl. What I Ment to Say Travels and Tales Conversations with Ruth Bondy. Hed Arzi, 1996. 198 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover .
Bondy began her career as a translator for the UP News Agency in the 1940s. During the Holocaust, Bondy was sent to Theresienstadt in 1942 and Birkenau in 1943. After the end of World War II, Bondy trained in the military as a volunteer and moved to Haifa, Israel in 1948. After arriving in Israel, Bondy was a journalist for the Israeli newspaper Davar before working for Devar ha-Shavua and Omer in 1953. She remained in journalism for over thirty years and taught at Tel Aviv University.(Wikipedia) (270475) $55.00
7. Bieberstein, Aleksander. Zaglada Zydow w Krakowie; Cracoviana Seria II Ludzie I Wydarzenia. Cracow: Wydawnictwo literackie, 1985. 275 pp. dj torn, in Polish. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
The destruction of the Jews in Cracow. (267557) $25.00
8. Borwicz, Michel. Ecrits des Condamnes a Mort Sous L’Occupation Allemande (1939-1945) Etude Sociologique. Paris: Presses Univ. de France, 1954. 276 pp . good. wrapper. (270635) $25.00
9. Bramer Andreas (hrsg). Judisches Leben zwischen Ost und West: Neue Beitrage zur judischen Geschichte in Schlesien. Gottingen: Wallstein, 2014. 638 pp.Includes the Shoah and current situation. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266685) $36.00
10. Burck Jacob ( inscribed). Hunger and Revolt; Cartoons by Burck. Daily Worker, 1935. Second Edition. 248pp. new covers and end papers, filled with political cartoons and essays against the oppressive capitalist system and warnings re the fascists in Germany and Italy. in tradition of Gropper. Fair/Good. Boards. Inscribed by Burck “with comradely regards” to Paul Novick (Freiheit editor) Sections include The Negro, Imperialism, Fascism, Soviet Union, and War, with introductory remarks to each part by sundrys commentators, including Michael Gold, Earl Browder, Langston Hughes, Charles Lamont and others. (270583) $95.00
11. Cahiers D’Art. L’usage de la parole Cahiers D’Art No 1 Decembre 1939; (on title page states No 5-10 but is only the L’usage de la parole) and appears to be part of next issues. Cahiers D’Art, 1939. Bound in linen cloth with copy of title page on cover, cover has circular stains, top right corners creased and some slight tearing,bottom right corners slight bumps and chipping to pages, base of spine slight tears to pages” 16 pp. + pp. 105- 184 includes essay on Marc Chagall and his works (10 pages) and an essay Chant Populaire Andalou et Musique Synagogale pp. 155-164 Good. Hardcover. Contains the work of Andre Masson Mythologie de la Nature, Paul Eluard, Picasso, Max Ernst, Marc Chagall, Tristan Tsara, Apollinaire, Henri Matisse, Wilfredo Lam, L’Activite Artiste a Paris durant Les Hostilites. Some of these artists were rescued by Varian Fry. (270377) $150.00
12. Celan Paul. Sprachgitter. [Gedichte]. Fischer, 1959. 66 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (270644) $18.00
13. Cordon Cecile (hrsg). An der Zeiten Rander Czernowitz und die Bukowina. Geschichte Literatur Verfolgung Exil. Kramer, 2002. 396 pp. With essays on experiences of Bukowina writers and the Shoah. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266675) $18.00
14. Czaplicka John. Emigrants and Exiles: A Lost Generation of Austrian Artists in America, 1920-1950. Northwestern University, 1996. 350 pp.+ 114 plates. Very Good. Paperback. (270963) $30.00
15. Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main Hahner, Mechthild (Redakteur). Deutsches Exilarchiv 1933-1945. Katalog der Bucher und Broschuren. . Metzlersche Verlagsbuchhandlung , 1989. 714 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Extraordinary bibliography containing nearly 7,000 publications of German-speaking emigrants whose books and brochures were published outside Nazi Europe from 1933 to 1950 (including first editions, reprints and translations, books published by emigrants, translated, illustrated or designed, publications by Jewish publishers In Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia after 193o. Concludes with a complete registry of the persons and organizations and the publishers included. Essential reference guide (266843) $75.00
16. Deutsches Historisches Museum. Flucht, Vertreibung, Integration Heimat; Begleimat zue Ausstellung. Berlin: DHI, 2006. 54 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (270732) $18.00
17. Deutsches Historisches Museum. Mythen der Nationen: 1945 Arena der Erinnerungen; Begleitmaterial zur Ausstellung. Deutsches Historisches Museum, 2005. 60 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (258293) $20.00
18. Duker Abraham (prepared by). Jewish Survival in the World Today; Hadassah Education Series Source Book. Hadassah, 1939-1941. about 640 pages collection of important documents and readings, many concerning fascism and the conditions of Jews in Germany, taken from books fand newspapers and magazines, in library binding. Good condition. Hardcover. 2 related sets: Hadassah Education Series & Hadssah Education Series Sourcebook (270958) $50.00
19. Ethnic Cleansing in Germany A Symposium. Los Angeles: Freedom for Religions in Germany, 1997. 5 essays articles on xenophobia 16 pp. held at University Synagogue Freedom for Relgiions was a branch of the Church of Scientology. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270779) $26.00
20. Fleischmann Johann. Mesusa 2 Spuren judischen Vergangenheit an Aisch, Aurach, Ebrach und Seebach. Arbeitkreis Judische Landgemeinden, 2003. 262 pp. Collection of documents and essays and additions to volume 1 Very Good-. Paperback. (270371) $30.00
21. Fleischmann Johann. Mesusa 3 Spuren judischen Vergangenheit an Aisch, Aurach, Ebrach und Seebach Die judischen Friedhofe von Zeckern, Walsdorf, Aschbach, Uehlfeld,Muhlhausen, Lisberg, Burghaslach und Reichmannnsdorf. Arbeitkreis Judische Landgemeinden, 2002. 392 pp., Very Good-. Hardcover . (270370) $60.00
22. Flieschmann Johann (editor). in memoriam Chriss Fiebig Gedenkschrift. Judische Landmemeinden an Aisch Aurach Ebrach, 2006. 312 pp. In German, educator actove in Bamberg and Austria in Jewish Christian relations, and work on the SHoah, reflections on her work, talks . Very Good-. Hardcover . (270372) $25.00
23. Franklin Ruth. A Thousand Darknesses: Lies and Truth in Holocaust Fiction. Oxford UP, 2011. 256 pp. New. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Is there room for fictive interpretations of what happened? Is it possible in the genre of memoirs to provide absolute truth or is all narrative the subjective analysis of one person? (blurb) (270722) $15.00
24. Gourevitch, Philip. We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families. NY: Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1998. American journalist traces the Rwandan genocide 8vo 353 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (270726) $12.00
25. Grosz George ; John Heartfield; Wieland Herzfelde; Paul Gorrell translator. Art is in Danger! Curbstone, 1987. 65 pp.collection of essays including The Art Scab , Red Group ,Working Artist (1931) part of the series Art on the Line 5, was first published by Malik Press The Communist position on art with some discussion on the threats to art by the right wing and government. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270622) $45.00
26. Horkenbach Cuno (hrsg). Das Deutsche Reich von 1918 bis Heute. (1918-1930). Berlin: , Verlag für Presse, Wirtschaft und Politik, 1930. 852 pp. tears to spine and crown torn, some slighly torn pages. Good. Hardcover. Important work listing daily political events and the political parties and their results in different towns/regions including the Nazis. Includes biographies of candidates including Hitler (270692) $36.00
27. Horkheimer Max . Studien über Autoritat und Vorurteil. Gekürzte deutsche Fassung der Bände I-III und V der “Studies in Prejudice”. Zwei Bande. Frankfurt-am-Main: Institut für Sozialforschung an der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat in Frankfurt. , 1953. ISBN: patholocaust. 741 pp. two volumes A manuscript duplicated and abridged version of the 5-volume series ‘Studies in prejudice’, which was published with the support of the American Jewish Committee in 1949/50. Very Good. Hardcover . (270960) $250.00
28. Jochmann Werner. National sozialismus und Revolution; Ursprung und Geschichte der NSDAP in Hamburg 1922-1933 Dokumente. Europaische Verlag, 1963. 444 pages, dj torn. slight library stamp. Good condition. Hardback & DJ. (270682) $20.00
29. Lebow, Barbara. A Shayna Maidel. NY: Samuel French, 1988. Play abou a survivor of the Holocaust who joins her family who re living in America. 12mo 83 pp. new. wrapper. (270652) $20.00
30. Levine Rhonda. Class Networks and Identity; Replanting Jewish Lives from Nazi Germany in Rural New York. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 2001. 240 pages. Very good+. Paperback. (270654) $20.00
31. Margolin Julius (IUlii). Povest Yevreyskaya (Jewish Story) : Evreyskaya povest Evreiskaia povestʹ. Tel Aviv: Ben Hor Maaian, 1960. 216 pp.in Russian . Was author o Land of the Ze-ka,. A collection of stories including , Gunder Aviel [a name] Srolik become a nationalist [perhaps a Zionist?] Betar in Vilna, Srolik is eighteen, Meshagola [unclear meaning. not a Russian word], Promise Srolik and Queen Esther, What to do Aliyah Bet do not see the work in worldcator any reference to this work
Good. Hardcover . Margolin was born in Pinsk, West Belarus, then in the Russian Empire. He studied at the Humboldt University of Berlin. Margolin received his doctorate in philosophy in 1929. He then moved to Lodz, Poland and later to Palestine in 1936. Three years later he was visiting his relatives in Pinsk and was trapped there by the Soviet invasion of Poland. Together with numerous other “socially-dangerous elements”, he was rounded up by the NKVD and sent to a labor camp on the northern bank of the Lake Onega. He survived, and was freed in 1945 as a former Polish citizen according to the agreement with Poland. In 1946, he was permitted to return to Poland, from where he moved to Palestine. He immediately started writing Journey to the Land of the Ze-Ka, which was finished in 1947, when Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn had just been sent to the gulag. It was impossible to publish such a book about the Soviet Union in the West at that time, immediately after World War II. The manuscript was also rejected in Israel. An abridged version was published in France in 1949 The book was printed in the United States in 1952 by Chekhov Publishing House (also abridged), and was reprinted in 1975. In 1951, Margolin was a witness in the trial of David Rousset against a French communist newspaper. The paper was engaged in slander of Rousset for revealing information about the gulag to the French public.(Wikipedia) (267900) $165.00
32. Montefiore I G. The Jews in Germany : facts and figures (no.1 and 2) and The Jews in Germany (no. 3). London: Anglo Jewish Assocaition, 1934+1935. 24+20+28 pp. slight library stamp on tp and number on cover Important documentation of plight of Jews in Germany and specific persecution and discrimination. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270744) $125.00
33. Motherwell Hiram. Germany “Toward a Democratic Foreign Policy”. Western Reserve University Press, 1938?. 39 pp. stamp of American Friends of German Freedom on cover. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. Reference Pamphlet Number 1 (270681) $20.00
34. Die Neue Zurcher Zeitung im Zeitalter des Zweiten Weltkrieges 1930-1955. Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung, , 1955. 350 pp. dj torn . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270731) $17.00
35. Parrish Art Museum. Power and Patronage: State Sponsored Art in the 1930s. PAM, 1995. Exhibit catalog 52 pp extensive material on National Socialism Soviet Union and USA. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270623) $18.00
36. Paver Chaver (Einbinder Gershon) signed bt. Giboyrim fun der nakht : roman fun Idishe partizanen in Poyln. Chaver Paver Committee, 1950. 315 pp.In Yiddish Partisans fighting the Nazis in Poland during the Shoah. Very Good. Hardcover . (265352) $36.00
37. Pike, David. German Writers in Soviet Exile: 1933-1945. Chapel Hill: UNC, 1982. 8vo 448 pp. good. cloth. Very important work documenting the plight of anti Nazi writers in the Soviet Union and their harsh fate. (270697) $15.00
38. Rabinowicz Oskar. Winston Churchill on Jewish Problems. London: Yoseloff, 1960. 230 pp dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ. Study of his positions including on Anti semitism in Germany Great Britain and and the Solution (270661) $15.00
39. Raemaekers Louis. Kultur in Cartoons. Century, 1917. 219 pp. . 108 plates. Very Good. Hardcover . Anti German propaganda . powerful drawings (270754) $25.00
40. Reissner Hanns. Familie auf Wanderschaft.Judische Wirklichkeit heute. Eine Schriftenreihe Heft 3. Judischer Buchverlag, 1938. 43 pp. covers disbound and torn. Good. Pamphlet . Sociological study of emigration and return to Germany by Jews by refugee historian) (270643) $30.00
41. Sherwin Byron and Ungar Irwin (signed by). Freedom Illuminated: Understanding the Szyk Haggadah. Historicana, 2008. 247 pp. 1/500 in red cloth beautiful production, with illsustration involving the Shoah also, in slip case. Very Good. Hardcover . (270977) $140.00
42. Snoek Johan. The Grey Book: A Collection of Protests Against Anti-Semitism and Persecution of Jews issued by Non-Roman Catholic Churches and Church Leaders During Hitler’s Rule. Van Gorcum, 1969. 313 pp. slight library marks corner slight bump. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270930) $10.00
43. Sobotko, H., edited by. Lomzshe: ir oyfkum un untergang/ Lomza: In Memory of the Jewish Community.
Sefer zikaron li-kehilat Lomzah. American Committee for Lomzer Pinkos, , 1957. 371 pp. In Yiddish maps on endpapers, Good. Boards. Memorial Book: (270503) $65.00
44. Spann Othmar (inscribed). Kategorienlehre. Fischer, 1924. Inscribed by author in pen on free end paper 372 pages tears to crown of spine and side of backstrip. Good. Boards.Nationalist whose writing influenced Nazi thinking. Taught at the Univ of Vienna students included Friedrich Hayek, Oskar Morgenstern and Eric Vogelin, Removed from his post by the Nazis in 1938. (270542) $36.00
45. Stankiewicz Edward. My War; Memoir of a Young Jewish Poet. Syracuse, 2002. 160 pp. dj creased . Very Good in VG DJ. Hardback & DJ. A unique personal account of Jewish life in Eastern Europe during the Holocaust and of a young man’s determination to prevail in the face of utter catastrophe. In this unusual memoir, Edward Stankiewicz stirringly recalls his youth as a Polish Jew beginning with prewar Warsaw through to the Nazi invasion. Life on the run lands Stankiewicz in Soviet-occupied. Lwow where in time he joins the Lwow Literary Club. A friend of Jewish, Yiddish, Polish, and Soviet poets and writers, he offers rare insights into wartime Eastern European intellectual life. After the German occupation of Lwow, in the newly built Jewish ghetto, he works in German military outfits and learns to forge Aryan and German documents to help people escape. In a German uniform he escapes to the Eastern Ukraine where he wanders for several months from town to town. Captured by the Gestapo, he is shipped to Buchenwald where he survives as a Pole. In the camp he manages to produce Polish and German poetry and a play. Some of these poems are reproduced in the book. (270395) $20.00
46. Steinsweis Alan. Studying the Jew: Scholarly Antisemitism in Nazi Germany. Harvard University Press, 2006. 202 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270929) $18.00
47. Stone I F. This is Israel. NY: Boni and Gaer, 1948. Includes material on refugees. and photos by Robert Capa 128 pp., sfep, covers bit soiled, tears to crown and base of spine. Good. Hardcover . (270711) $15.00
48. Tar, Zoltan. The Frankfurt School: The Critical Theories of Max Horkheimer and Theodor Adorno. NY: John Wiley, 1977. 242 pp.sfep. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (270723) $10.00
49. U.S. War Information Office. Tale of a City. Office of War Information, 1942. 23 pp. Good. Wrapper. With drawings and description of the plight of the Jews being murdered by the Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto, drawings of murdered Jews and the resistance killing Nazis. (270614) $30.00
50. Die verlorenen Osterreicher 1918 – 1938 Expression – Osterreichs Beitrag zur Moderne. Eine Klarung der kulturellen Identitat. Locker, 1982. 276 pp. filled with articles and paintings. Good +. Paperback. (270964) $36.00
51. Warhaftig, Zorach. Uprooted: Jewish Refugees and Displaced Persons After Liberation. NY: Inst of Jewish Affairs, November,1946. 219 pp.,dj slight tears. Good. Cloth. American Jewish Congress: From War to Peace No.5. Important work. (267205) $48.00
52. Weber, Annette; Friedlander, Evelyn and Armbruster, Fritz, edited by. Mappot …blessed he who comes. The Band of Jewish Tradition since late Antiquity. Mappot …gesegnet, der da kommt. Das Band Jüdischer Tradition seit der Spätantike. Hidden Legacy Foundation, 1997. 223 pp. oblong 8vo. beautiful production . Very Good. Hardcover. On traditional ritual objects with extensive materials on wimpels. On the world of German Jewry that was lost. (270456) $36.00
53. Weil Sylvie. Chez les Weil Andre et Simone. Libretto, 2009. 210 pages. Very good. Paperback. (270686) $10.00
54. Weiss Rabbi Avi. Haggadah for the Yom HaShoah Seder. Coalition for Jewish Concerns-Amcha, 2000. 44 pp. to be said on Holocaust Remembrabce Day, using the seder as guide. Very Good. Paperback. (270490) $15.00
55. Wiechert Ernst. die Dichter und die Jugend. Buchdruck, 1936. 1000 copies printed at the Werkstatte , covers faded by spines. Good condition. Cloth. Wiechert was strongly opposed to Nazism from the start. He appealed in 1933 and 1935 to the undergraduates in Munich to retain their critical thinking in relation to the national socialist ideology. This was rated as call to internal resistance. The minutes of the speech circulated illegally in Germany and reached Moscow in 1937 baked in bread. Here it was published in the influential exile magazine Das Wort (The Word). But Wiechert went even further and dared to openly criticize the imprisonment of Martin Niemöller by the Nazis in 1938.In consequence of his criticism, he was interned himself in the Buchenwald concentration camp for four months which became the most horrible time of his life. After that, he wrote down his memories about the time of his imprisonment and buried the manuscript. It was published after the war in 1945, entitled Der Totenwald (Forest of the dead), a shocking account of the conditions in Buchenwald. Joseph Goebbels had threatened after Wiechert’s release from concentration camp that Wiechert would be killed if he publicly voiced protest once more. (270633) $36.00
56. Wir deutsche in der Welt. Berlin: Verband Deutscher Vereine im Ausland, 1935. 184 pp. Nazi propaganda German settlements and accomplishments in Brazil Argentina South Africa et al., introduced by photos of Hilter and Rudolf Hess, some German Worker Party stamps and withdrawn from HMSO. Good. Hardcover . (270636) $24.00
57. Wolf, Diane L. Beyond Anne Frank; Hidden Children and Postwar Families in Holland. U. of California P., 2007. . 391 pp. Good +. Paperback. (270739) $12.00
58. Wordt Vervolgd Vaarwel Hergé… 1907-1983 – Lang leve Kuifje! Special Herge Issue. 98 pp. cartoonist writer of Tin Tin a homage to his work, accused of being a collaborator during the War, contains examples of his work and essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (270624) $45.00
59. Zu Martin Bubers 60. Geburtstag. 8. Februar 1938. Ein Rundbrief an die judischen Lehrer. Reichsvertretung der Juden in Deutschland., 1938. 23 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270339) $30.00
In 2015, my son Seth gave a talk at the Deerfield Arts Bank regarding Internet Security and Privacy. Originally produced by Frontier Community Access Television, I have recently acquired the footage from them and am excited to share it with you! Enjoy.