This catalog is issued in honor and in memory of my late wife, Hanna Jane Trigère. Her life was filled with creating beauty in the world and hiddur mitzvah. Some of her work can be seen below, and additional art, writings, and videos can be viewed at her website, www.JaneTrigere.com.
May her memory be for a blessing, and may it inspire us to make this a more beautiful and compassionate world.
Wishing you all a joyous Pesach.
1. 12 tsayare Yisra’el: twelve Israeli painters. Lion, 1965. . Large quarto sized paper portfolio with one color pastedown illustration on the front of the portfolio, twelve color plates in paper frames library mark on title page . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Artists whose works are included are Mordechai Avniel, Margot L. Aschheim, Shaul Ohaly, Mordechai Ardon, Nahum Gutman, Shraga Weil, Shmuel katz, Jona Mach, Shalom Sebba, Esther Peretz-Arad, Joseph Kossonogi and Ruth Schloss. (271917) $19.00
2. Aharonson Meir. הביאנלה לפיסול – עין–הוד 1990 : הטבע בנה לנו מוזיאון : פיסול במימד אנושי /; Sculpture Biennale of Ein Hod, 1990″ Nature has built us a Museum Sculpture in a human dimension. Ein Hod, 1990. 84 pp. exhibition catalog and essay, ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272560) $27.00
3. Altshuler, David (editor). The Precious Legacy: Judaic Treasures from the Czechoslovak State Collections. NY: Summit Books, 1983. From the repository of historic artifacts, artistic rarities, cultural memories-document Czech Jewry life. 287 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (272578) $15.00
4. Anna Ticho : [exhibition]. Israel Museum I.M. Cohen Graphic Gallery, 1968. 15 pp in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272088) $25.00
5. Apter-Gabriel, Ruth (editor). Tradition and Revolution: The Jewish Renaissance in Russian Avant Garde Art 1912-1928. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1988. second. 8vo 262 pp. Very Good. paperback. (261333) $65.00
6. (Architecture) Gruber Sam. American Synagogues A Century of Architecture and Jewish Community. Rizzoli, 2007. 239 pp. beautifil photos and text concerning development of the movement, ex libary with markings. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (256567) $25.00
7. (Architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Architecture-Periods and Styles; Arab Buildings Outside the Old City Walls. Jerusalem: Keter, 1985. 474pp, In Hebrew, filled with pictures and text. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (268107) $45.00
8. (architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Openings Gates Doors Windows and Grills. Tel Aviv: Zmora, 1984. 278 pp, In Hebrew, filled with pictures and text. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (267692) $36.00
9. (Architecture) Kadish Sharman. Jewish Heritage in England: An Architectural Guide. English Heritage, 2006. 212 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271376) $16.00
10. (Architecture) Kessler Katrin editor. Jewish Architecture – New Sources and Approaches. Schriften der Bet Tfila–Forschungsstelle fur judische Architektur in Europa, Band 8. Imhof, 2015. 158 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271913) $27.00
11. (Architecture) Krinsky, Carol Herselle. Synagogues of Europe; Architecture * History * Meaning. NY: MIT Press, 1985. 457pp. Large 8vo. bookplate sfep dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Monumental work. Basic for study of European synagogues. (266349) $20.00
12. (Architecture) Kroyanker, David. Jerusalem Architecture-Periods and Styles; European Christian Buildings Outside the Old City Walls. Keter, 1987. 504pp, in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (268106) $55.00
13. (Architecture) Rathjens, Carl. Jewish Domestic Architecture in San’a, Yemen. The Israel Oriental Society,, 1957. 80 pp. ex library with markings, reading copy black and white photographs and drawings. Good-. library binding.
“Among the subjects which attracted his (Rathjens) inquisitive mind was the Jewish community of Yemen, groups of which then were found all over the Yemenite Highland. While in San’a, the capital of Yemen, he often visited the Jewish quarter, which originally had been a town by itself, lying about two kilometers west of the Old City. He soon discovered that, in ground plan and architecture, the houses in the Jewish quarter were essentially different from the Muslim houses and set out to study that interesting phenomenon in detail.” (S.D. Goitein in his preface). (272375) $85.00
14. (Architecture) Schwarz Hans Peter (hrsg). Die Architektur der Synagoge. Deutsches Architekturmuseum,, 1988. 446 pp. exhibition catalog with essays, large 8vo. Many of the synagogues were destroyed by the Nazis. Very Good. Paperback. (265618) $30.00
15. (Architecture) Siry Joseph. Beth Sholom Synagogue: Frank Lloyd Wright and Modern Religious Architecture. Chicago, 2011. 705 pp. back corner bumped. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271288) $38.00
16. (Architecture) Solomon Susan. Louis I. Kahn’s Jewish Architecture: Mikveh Israel and the Midcentury American Synagogue. Brandeis, 2009. 214 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271318) $18.00
17. (Architecture) Wischnitzer, Rachel. The Architecture of the European Synagogue. Phil: JPS, 1964. oblong 8vo 312 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (259962) $20.00
18. Aronson David Biemann, Asher D. David Aronson: Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture. Pucker, 2004. 174pp., illustrated throughout in color, some black and white. essay. catalogue raisonne of the sculpture. comprehensive monograph. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
As an immigrant artist of Jewish background, borrowing freely from Christology, Jewish, mystical, and modernist motifs, David Aronson has been an equally acclaimed controversial figure in the Boston Expressionist school and beyond. (271200) $45.00
19. Baigell, Matthew. American Artists Jewish Images. Syracuse, 2006. 271 pp. sfep. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (260677) $27.00
20. Baigell, Matthew. Artists and and Identity in Twentieth Century America. Cambridge University Press, 2001. 294 pp. new. Paperback. (271353) $12.00
21. Baigell, Matthew. Jewish-American Artists and the Holocaust. New Brunswick: Rutgers, 1997. 8vo 139 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (242873) $12.00
22. Baskin Leonard preface. Hyman Bloom. Chameleon Book, 1996. 126 pp. text and color plates. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271319) $25.00
23. Baskin: sculpture, drawings & prints. Braziller, 1970. dj very torn and worn library mark tp and on foreedge. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271916) $27.00
24. Bedoire Frank. The Jewish Contribution to Modern Architecture, 1830-1930. Ktav, 2004. 518 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (253498) $58.00
25. Belasco Daniel. Reinventing Ritual: Contemporary Art and Design for Jewish Life. Yale/Jewish Museum, 2009. 137 pp.four essays and exhibition catalog. Very Good. Hardcover . (272558) $20.00
26. Ben-Ami Alia. In All Their Finery: Jewels from the Jewish World. Jewish Museum, 2002. 70 pp. color plates with 29 pieces profiled . Very Good. spiral bound. (256329) $18.00
27. Ben-Zvi, Asaf. Forgetting almost everything : recipient of the Rappaport Prize for an established Israeli painter, Li-shekoah ki-meat et ha-kol. Tel Aviv Museum, 2011. 230 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper.
Essay by Anat Danon Sivan. (272072) $35.00
28. Benjamin Chana. Reflections on the Holocaust: Works by Holocaust Survivors, Family Members and friends. NY: New Century Artists, 2001. Exhibition catalog. 50 pp. new. wrapper. (264852) $20.00
29. Benjamin Chaya (curator)Landau S. Architecture in the Hanukkah Lamp; Architectural Forms in the Design of Hanukkah Lamps from the Collection of Hanukkah Lamps at the Israel Museum. Israel Museum, 1978. 19 + 58 double pages, bottom corner bumped. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (256189) $25.00
30. Benjamin Chaya. North African Lights: Hanukkah Lamps from the Zeyde Schulmann Collection in the Israel Museum. Israel Museum, 2003. 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Articles are “Zeyde Schulmann (1890-1981): The Life and Travels of the Collector,” Chaya Benjamin, “‘Mrs. Hanukkah and Mr. Purim Quarrel’: A Poetic Dispute from Morocco,” Joseph Chetrit, and “Hanukkah Lamps from North Africe,” Chaya Benjamin. (269321) $15.00
31. Benjamin Chaya. The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art. Israel Museum, 1987. 462+ 41 pages, Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
This extraordinary catalog of the 1987 exhibition of the Stieglitz collection in the Israel Museum shows 281 b&w and color photographs of the exhibits. Beautiful work. (267688) $95.00
32. Berger Max Sammlung. Judentum in Wien Heiliege Gemeinde Wien. Hisotrisches Museum Wien, 1987. 258 pp. filled with many essays and color and black and white illustrations of ritual objects. Good +. Paperback. (256338) $36.00
33. Bernstein, M. \ Kolb, E. [Introduction]. Jewish Faces. Yavneh, 1958. 12 drawings very inspired capturing various aspects of being Jewish in profiles , folio. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271302) $65.00
34. Bibliotheca rosenthaliana. Bibliotheque de l’Universite (Amsterdam), 1958. 12 pp.examples of the holdings with illustrations library marks with pocket. Good. Wrapper. (272429) $15.00
35. Braunstein Susan . Five Centuries of Hanukkah Lamps From the Jewish Museum: A Catalogue Raisonné. The Jewish Museum New York under the auspices of the Jewish Theological Seminary Yale, 2004. 403 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
In a grey cloth covered slip case with a color pastedown image on one cover Foreword by Joan Rosenbaum. The two main sections of the book are “Highlights from the Collection,” which is all in color and “Additional Lamps in the Collection,” which are illustrated with very well shop b/w images. This is meant to be a definitive book on the Jewish Museum’s Hanukkah Lamp collection which is certainly one of the best in the world (271392)
36. Brettman Estelle. Vaults of Memory Jewish and Christian Imagery in the Catacombs of Rome; an exhibition. International Catacomb, 1985. 40 pp.+ plates ex library with pocket and book plate, cover corner vry creased and pages bottom creased. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272562) $26.00
37. Carelman, Jacques. Objets Introuvables. Israel Museum, 1977. 18 pp. filled with whimsical objects In Hebrew and English. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272574) $15.00
38. Chamson Andre. Glicenstein. Paris: Petit Palais, 1948. 7 pp+ 9 illustrations .ex library with pocket . Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272542) $25.00
39. Cohen Elisheva curator. Moritz Oppenheim: The First Jewish Painter. Israel Museum, 1983. 91 + 61 pp. In English and Hebrew, back cover creased. Good +. Paperback. (260442) $32.00
40. Cohen Richard. Jewish Icons: Art and Society in Modern Europe. California, 1998. 358 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271357) $36.00
41. Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland Dokumentation zur Ausstellung. Michael Imhof, 2008. 272 pp. bottom corner bumped rebuilding of destroyed synagogues. Very Good. Hardcover . (270420) $75.00
42. Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland vom Barock zum ‘Neuen Bauen” Dokumentation und Ausstellung. Niedersach, 2000. 104 pp. slight stains to back cover . Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270421) $36.00
43. Cusin Silvio. Art in the Jewish Tradition. Adei Wizo, 1963. 146 pp., b/w photos and tipped-in color plate dj torn beautiful images. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (260694) $25.00
44. Danon-Sivan Anat exhibition curator. Ben Zvi Asaf Forgetting Almost Everything; Li-shekoah kimat et ha-kol. Tel Aviv Museum of Art, 2012. 230 pp. In Hebrew and English, with three essays about Ben Zvi’s work . Very Good. Hardcover .
Recipient of the Rappaport Prize for an established Israei painter, 2011 (260266) $68.00
45. Deitsch Elka et al (curator). From This World to the Next Jewish Approaches to Illness Death and the Afterlife. JTS, 1999. 120 pp. filled with images. Very Good. Paperback. (271396) $20.00
46. Durrieu Paul. Les Antiquities Judaiqes et le peintre Jean Foucquet. Paris: Plon-Nourrit, 1908. 125 pages with 25 planches en heliogravure et de 2 planches en phototype, occasional slight stains to tp and few pages interleaved loose folio unbound. Two plates have stains not affecting picture wrapper cover has emblem portrait plates easily removed and work can be bound also. Good. Stiff Wrapper. 250 (260189) $275.00
47. E.M. Lilien Sein Werk mit einer Einleitung von Stefan Zweig. Berlin: Schuster, 1903. 350 pp. new spine with title, original boards,, new endpapers, back cover slight wear original binding with staples faulty so evidence of staple markings on title page and illustrated page before it, internally images in good shape, paper quality good, some slight stains to pages but not affecting images. Good. Boards.
All images present from various books Jewish and non Jewish and book paltes and borders. Tear to page of Probierstube der Grazien slightly onto the image, tears to Stefan Zweig page and Trauerlied not affecting image, a few other slight tears to pages. (271290) $525.00
48. Eis Ruth. Hanukkah Lamps of the Judah L. Magnes Museum. Magnes, 1977. 134 pp. filled with illustrations. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (263478) $25.00
49. Eis Ruth. Torah Binders of the Judah Magnes Museum. Berkeley: Magnes Museum, 1979. 80 pages on wimpels. Very good. Stiff Wrapper.
Torah binders or wimpels are textiles made from the cloth which covers the new-born male during the circumcision ceremony. These cloths were cut into narrow pieces and embroidered with an announcement of the birth and with an assortment of decorations and elaborate designs. They were then used to tie the Torah before being returned to the Ark. The wimpel was primarily a German Jewish custom.. (231060) $12.00
50. Epstein, Shifra ( guest curator). Purim: The Face and the Mask: Essays and a Catalogue of an Exhibit. NY: Yeshiva Univ., 1979. 86 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Essay by Toby Blum-Dobkin on The Landsberg Carnival: Purim in a Displaced Persons Center. (256236) $25.00
51. Feldman Arthur remarks by. Jewish Artists of the Twentieth Century. Spertus, 1976. 63 items about 20 pp ex library with markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272400) $15.00
52. Felton Anton. Jewish Carpets. Antique Collectors Club, 2006. 198 pp. ex library with markings and book plate and pocket. Good. Hardcover . (272378) $36.00
53. Figueras, Paul. Decorated Jewish Ossuaries. Leiden: Brill, 1983. 37 Plates. 122 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (256355) $40.00
54. Fishof, Iris, Curator. From the Secular to the Sacred: Everyday Objects in Jewish Ritual Use Ma’alin ba-kodesh: shimush sheni be-omanut Yehudit. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1985. Exhibition catalog. 8vo 108 pp. good. wrapper. (271394) $30.00
55. Freundlich August (signed by Gropper). William Gropper: Retrospective. Ward Ritchie, 1968. 128 pp. dj very torn , inscribed by Gropper and with a small pen drawing of a face. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Filled with drawings. (258796) $85.00
56. Friedman Maurice. A Covenant of Peace A Witness by MF. Sowers, 1965. 30 pp. Pendle Hill publication sfep. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271322) $23.00
57. Galeryah Safrai (Jerusalem); Brandeis University. Library. Young and old masters of Israel. Pucker Brandeis, 1967. 29 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272531) $24.00
58. Gamzu Haim intro. Anna Ticho Jerusalem Landscapes. Tel Aviv Museum, 1974. 15 pp ex library with pocket and book plate in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog with 6 black and white images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272566) $20.00
59. Gamzu Haim intro. Uri Lifshitz. Paintings Drawings Etchings. Tel Aviv Museum, 1974. 15 pp ex library with pocket and book plate in Hebrew and English exhibition catalog with 6 black and white images. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272567) $24.00
60. Gamzu Haim . Mordecai Ardon : [spring-summer 1963]. Various Museums , 1963. 56 pp,In English and Hebrew, slight library marks and pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“The exhibition will be shown at the following Museums: Museum of Modern Art, Haifa Municipality, Museum Tel-Aviv, Museum of Art, Ein Harod, The Bezalel National Museum, Jerusalem”–Title page verso. (272417) $30.00
61. George Segal Retrospective Sculptures Paintings Drawings. Hirschorn, 1998. text and images about eight pages of exhibit catalog 6 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263679) $18.00
62. Gilbert Barbara (curator). Henry Mosler Rediscovered; A Nineteenth Century American Jewish Artist. Skirball, 1995. 142 pages essays and color reproductions. Very good. Wrapper. (259822) $20.00
63. Goberman, David; Pinsky, Robert (intro). Carved Memories; Heritage in Stone from the Russian Jewish Pale. NY: Rizzoli, 2000. 167 pp. Very Good. Decorated Boards.
Photos of cemetery stones and text. (270398) $30.00
64. Goldman Paul (Arad Shlomo curator). Press Photographer 1943-1961. Tel Aviv: Eretz Israel Museum, 2004. 121 pages of photos with English and Hebrew text and 23 pages of introduction in English, exhibit came to HUC in NY in 2006, contains photos of survivors arriving in Palestine and Jewish troops returning to Palestine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The Forgotten Photographs: The Work of Paul Goldman from 1943 – 1961, from the collection of Spencer M. Partrich, is an exhibition displaying over 100 rare images documenting Eretz-Israel during the final years of the British Mandate and Israel’s struggle for survival during its first thirteen years. Goldman’s privileged access – as a British Army member and later as a journalist befriended by Israeli leaders – offered a front-row perspective of personal moments at a time of sweeping, historic change. (249683) $30.00
65. Gonen Rivka. Jerusalem Yesterday and Today: Drawings and Etchings from the Israel Museum Collection and Contemporary Photographs. Israel Museum, 1994. 35 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (260274) $23.00
66. Goodenough, Erwin. Jewish Symbols in the Greco-Roman Period: Thirteen Volumes. NY: Pantheon Books, 1960s. Bollingen Series:37. Classic study. Important reference. quarto 13 vols. -Vol 12 is the Summary and Conclusion and Vol 13 is the Index and Maps ex library with stamp on title page and pocket on back end paper. Good. cloth.
Please inquire re: shipping costs for heavy tomes (270775) $350.00
67. Goodman Susan curator. In the Shadow of Conflict. Israeli Art 1980-1989. Jewish Museum, 1989. 80 pp, exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (256314) $20.00
68. Goodman Susan. A World Of Their Own: Naive Artists From Israel. Jewish Museum, 1987. Includes six artists, Moshe Elnatan, Shalom of Safed, Shimshon Lemberger, et al. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition catalog (256307) $30.00
69. Goodman, Susan Tumarkin (editor). Russian Jewish Artists in a Century of Change 1890-1990. Munich: Prestel, 1996. Exhibition catalog. large 8vo 266 pp.with seven essays. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (267345) $20.00
70. Goodman, Susan. After Rabin; New Art from Israel. Jewish Museum, 1998. 112pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition catalog filled with photos and pictures. (256311) $18.00
71. Goodman, Susan. Artists of Israel: 1920-1980. Detroit: Wayne State, 1981. Exhibition at the Jewish Museum: Feb-Mar 1981 8vo 149 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (256310) $25.00
72. Grafman Rafi and Mann Vivian. Crowning Glory; Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum. NY: Jewish Musueum, 1996. First edition. Magnificent volume contains over eight hundred duotone illustartions and thirty three plates in color describes the nearly one thousand Torah ornaments in the Museum’s holding.large 8vo 398 pages . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (269950) $30.00
73. Graphic art in Israel today; Hedpes ha-omanuti be-Yisraʼel ka-yom. Tel Aviv Museum, 1973. 24 pp.+ plates ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The exhibition is organized as part of the celebrations marking Israel’s 25th anniversary (272561) $26.00
74. Grobman Yasha. Moments Trajectories in the Architecture of the Tel Aviv Museum. TAM, 2011. 171 + E83 In Hebrew and English, filled with scholarly articles. Very Good. Paperback. (270292) $65.00
75. Gross, Chaim; Tarbell, Roberta. Sixty Years of Sculpture: A Memorial Exhibition [+ Retrospective Exhibition]; TWO exhibition catalogs. New York: Forum Gallery [Jewish Museum], 1994 . Two beautiful exhibition catalogs, documenting the major exhibitions of a major artist. The first, a textured decorative wrapper, has 40pp. with many b/w illustrations. The second, a large glossy wrapper, has 24 beautiful full-page, full-color plates. Both have introductions by Tarbell, whose intimate knowledge of Gross’ work situates it in the context of his life and times. Very Good. (263644) $35.00
76. Grossman Grace text. The Maurice Spertus Museum of Judaica an illustrated catalog of selected objects. Spertus, 1974. 100 pp ex library with markings. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271481) $35.00
77. Grossman, Cissy. A Temple Treasury: The Judaica Collection of Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York. NY: Hudson Hills Press, 1989. oblong 8vo 198 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Magnificent work containing mark examples of Jewish ritual objects and art. (269951) $20.00
78. Grunberg Maty (Rosensaft Jean Bloch editor). Selected Works 1966-2006. New York: HUC-JIR Museum, 2006. 150 pp multi media Israeli artist, exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Includes essays by Laura Kruger and Dalia Manor and Susan Turmarkin Goodman (269590) $20.00
79. Gutmann, Joseph ( editor). No Graven Images: Studies in Art and the Hebrew Bible. NY: KTAV, 1971. 599 pp. twenty seven essays, spine worn, hinge started bookplate and sfep. Very Good. Cloth. (267317) $45.00
80. Gutmann, Joseph. Beauty in Holiness; Studies in Jewish Customs and Ceremonial Art. KTAV, 1970. 513 pp. Good +. Hardcover .
Twenty-one essays. superb collection. (271315) $36.00
81. Hallo, Dr. Rudolf. Judische Kunst Aus Hessen und Nassau. Berlin: Soncino Gesellschaft der Freunde des Jüdischen Buches,, 1933. 39 pages of text with 5 mounted in-text b/w photographic reproductions, followed by 33 pages of b/w reproductions of photographs of various Jewish ornaments (120 plates), ex library with markings and taped spine. Good +. Stiff Wrapper.
Beautiful homage, retrospectively tragic, to the flourishing Jewish religious/cultural life as revealed in the religious objects and textiles and books. (272399) $65.00
82. Helzel Florence. Shtetl Life; The Nathan and Faye Hurwitz Collection. Magnes Museum, 1993. 155 pp. A sense of Jewish life in Europe before the Shoah. Good +. Wrapper.
Jewish artists graphic representation fo the shtetl with commentary by Steve Zipperstein. Forty artists’ work represented. (260114) $10.00
83. Herskowitz, Sylvia. Aishet Hayil. NY: Yeshiva Univ.ersity Museum, 1993. Exhibition catalogue. 12mo 60 pp. 32 artists chose a line from the rxalted extolling poem and created an art work. new. stiff wrapper. (272183) $18.00
84. Hoffberg, Judith (curator). Women of the Book: Jewish Artists Jewish Themes. Miami: Florida Atlantic Univ., 2001. 95 pp. new. wrapper.
Magnificent exhibition catalog of books,drawings,works on paper,collages,photos by contemporary Jewish women artists. (260151) $20.00
85. Holstein Jurgen editor. The Book Cover in the Weimar Republic Buchumschläge in Der Weimarer Republik. Taschen, 2015. 450 pp.In German and English massive work, heavy tome, filled with wonderful illustrations and text …many of the artists and publishers fled Nazi Germany for exile. Important reference work . Very Good. Hardcover . (271303) $60.00
86. Hurwitz Sidney Introduction by. 50 Drawings. Hebrew Teachers College, 1950s?. Portfolio of fifty drawings mostly by Jewish artists, magnificent, few corners slight wear not affectng images slight library mark covers that are ton. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Portfolio with reproductions of fifty drawings by fifty painters, sculptors and print-makers: S.Abeles, J.Ablow, H.Altman, D.Aronson, L.Baskin, J.Berger, R.Birmelin, E.Bischoff, I.Bishop, H.Bloom, H.Breverman, A.Bryan, Ch.Cajori, L.Cohen, J.Coughlin, E.Dickinson, K.Fortess, Ph.Grausman, P.Grippe, Chaim Gross, Sidney Hurwitz, N.Jacobson, R.Kay, R.Kowalke, J.Kramer, J.Levine, L.Lillie, M.Mazur, J.McGarrell, C.Metcalf, P.Milton, W.Murch, Ph.Pearlstein, M.Pineda, A.Polonsky, A.Poor, H.V.Poor, G.Prestopino, D.Ratner, J.Reopel, H.Schwartz, J.Shahn, Ben Shahn, M.Siporin, R.Soyer, B.Swan, H.Tovish, S.Trefonides, J.Wilson, M.Zabarsky. (271296) $75.00
87. Illustrated Haggadot of The Eighteenth Century. Israel Musuem, 1983. 109 pp. slight foxing to end paper exhibit catalog. Good +. Wrapper. (268839) $15.00
88. Images: a Journal of Jewish Art and Visual Culture; Volume 2. Brill, 2008. 120 pp. slight wear to bottom edge. bottom corner slightly bumped. Very Good +. Paperback.
Yearly publication (262630) $36.00
89. Incunabula Hebraica and Judaica Five Centuries of Hebraica and Judaica.from the Jacob Lowy Collection Exhibition Catalogue. National Library of Canada, 1981. Exhibition catalog 18 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270911) $15.00
90. Israeli Yael Avida Uri. Oil Lamps from Eretz Israel: The Louis and Carmen Warschaw Collection In Hebrew; Nerot heres me Erets Yisrael: Osef Luis ve Karmen Varshau. Senitel, 1961. 206 pp. In Hebrew ex library with book plate and pocket. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272413) $25.00
91. Israeli Yael. In the Light of the Menorah: Story of a Symbol. Israel Museum, 1999. 212 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Articles include “Menorah and Olive Branches: The Design Process of the National Emblem of the State of Israel,” Alec Meshori, “‘Knob and Flower’ in the Design of the Menorah,” Nogah Hareuveni, “The Menorah of the First and Second Temple Periods in Light of Literary Sources and Archaeological Finds, “Rachal HaChlili and Rivka Merhav, ” Between Jerusalem and Rome: The History of the Base of the Menorah as Depicted on the Arch of Titus,” Daniel Sperber, “The Menorah as a Messianic Symbol in Antiquity,” Dan Barag, “Identity and Hope: The Menorah in the jewish Catacombs of Rome,” lili Habas, “The Menorah in Illuminated Hebrew Manuscripts of the Middle Ages,” Bezalel Narkiss, “Promise of Redemption: Zechariah’s Vision of the Golden Menorah,” Rachel Sarfaty, “The Menorah in the Ancient Synagogue,” Lee Levine, “The Shadow of the Past or an Image of Theological Truth? The Menorah in Byzantine Illuminated Manuscripts,” Elisheva Revel-Neher, “The Menorah and the Cross: The Seven-Branch Candelabrum in the Church,” Bianca Kuhnel, “The Menorah in Renaissance Art,” Avraham Ronen, “Facinf the Menorah: Jewish Art in the Modern Era,” Isir Fischof, “Bina, the Eighth Sfirah: The Menorah in Kabbalah,” Moshe Idel (260335) $36.00
92. Italiener Bruno (hrsg). Die Darmstadter Pessach – Haggadah, codex orientalis 8 der Landesbibliothek zu Darmstadt aus dem vierzehnten Jahrhundert, herausgegeben und erläutert von Bruno Italiener, unter Mitwirkung von Aron Freimann, August L. Mayer und Adolf Schmidt; mit einer Gesamtbibliographie der illustrierten Haggadah. Verlag Karl W. Hiersemann, , 1927. 2 volumes. Vol. 1: Folio, unpaginated and is a lovely facsimile of a medieval illuminated Hebrew manuscript. Vol. 2: Octavo. 313 pp of German and Hebrew text reviewing and evaluating the manusript 16 plates with b/w facsimiles of manuscripts. With work by Aron Freimann and August Meyer and Gesamt Bibliothek Three-quarter leather over decorated paper-covered boards with gilt decorated spines. Crowns have slight tears Scuffing and age wear to leather and boards Number 234/350 issued Yaari 2064
Originating in the 13th century this manuscript was probably produced in the late 14th or early 15th century. The scribe Israel Ben Meir from Heidelberg signs his name in the colophon on folio 56v. (271650) $1,250.00
93. Jacob Pins Woodcuts. Boston Public Library, 1953. 10 pp. with text and images. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272552) $25.00
94. Jacques Lipschitz Sculptures and Drawings 1911-1970. Tel Aviv Museum, 1971. 108 pp. In Hebrew and English ex library with pocket and book plate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272571) $15.00
95. Jewish Art from the Hebrew Union College and other collections; A special exhibition in honor of the three hundredth anniversary of Jewish settlement in America. Greater Hartford Tercentary Committee and Wadsworth Atheneum, 1953. 21 pp. and 2 plates, exhibit catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271199) $16.00
96. (Jewish Art) Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Jewish Art. Volume Eighteen, 1992. Sepharad. Center for Jewish Art, 1992. 211 pp. Among essays includes are “Synagogues in Medieval Spain,” Yom-Tov Assi, “The Heikhal, Bimah, and Teivah in Sephardi Synagogues,” Bezalel Narkiss, “Excavations around the Samuel Halevi Synagogue (del Transito) in Toledo,” Santiago Palomera Plaza, Ana Maria Lopez Alvarez, Yasmina Alvarez Delgado, “Samuel Halevi Abulafia’s Synagogue (El Transito) in Toledo,” Esther W. Goldman, “The Small Elijah Chair,” Ruth Jacoby, “‘Purim of Saragossa’ and its Implications on the Method of Dressing the Torah Scroll,” Aiala Feller, “Are the Spanish Admiral Carpets Jewish?” Ita Aber, “A Bonanza of Spanish Jewish Pre-Expulsion Seals,” Daniel M. Freidenberg, “The Poblet Haggadah: An Unknown Fourteenth-Century Illuminates Sephardi Manuscript. Very Good. Hardcover . (270442) $36.00
97. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art Volume Nineteen Twenty 1993-1994. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1994. 222 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (271278) $36.00
98. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art Volume Twenty-One/Twenty-Two 1995/96: Eastern Europe 1. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1995. 222 pp. Very Good. Hardcover
Concerns Chagall and Russian Jewish Art (271275) $30.00
99. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fifteen 1989. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1989. 138 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271276) $38.00
100. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fifteen 1989. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1989. 138 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271279) $38.00
101. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Fourteen 1988. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1988. 107pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Le Lion et le Chien,” Victor Klagsbald, “Fifteenth-Century Painted Furniture with Scenes from the Esther Scroll,” Marianne Harasszti-Takacs, “The Origin of the ‘Two Column Motif’ in European ‘Parokhet,'” Bracha Yaniv, “Fakes and Forgeries of Jewish Marriage Contracts Then and Now,” Shalom Sabar, “The Tree of Jesse and the Tree of Life in Chagall,” Mira Friedman, “Zadkine’s ‘Human Forest’ and Tumarkin’s ‘Man Tree’ as Symbols of the Self in Relation to Environment,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Bronze Sculptures of Regine Heim,” Avram Kampf, “The Jerusalem Stained Glass Window of Regine Heim,” R.J. Zwi Werblowsky, Book Reviews: “Towers of Spice, Towers of Salvations: an Inquiry into the Logic of Explanation,” Shubert Spero and “Ilona Oltuski, ‘Kunst und Ideologie des Bezalels in Jerusalem,'” Hannelore Künzl, “Exhibition Review: ‘Siche der Stein schreit aus der Mauer’: Geschichte und Kultur der Juden in Bayern,” Naomi Feuchtwanger, (271280) $54.00
102. (Jewish Art) Aliza Cohen-Mushlin (Editor). Jewish Art. Volume Sixteen 1990-1991. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1991. 210 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
“Three Papercuts from Jerusalem,” Yehudit and Joseph shadur, “Some Characteristics of Moroccan Jewish Jewelry,” Andreas Gorzmann, “Giorgione’s ‘Trial of Moses’: A New Look,” Dalia Haitovsky, “Anton Raphael Mengs – Ein Künstler jüdischer Abstammung und das Papyruskabinett der Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana,” Christine Maria Grafinger, “Maurits Leon: The Making of a Jewish Artist,’ Christiaan Roosen, “Illustrating Jewish Lifestyles on Oppoosite Banks of the Rhine: Alphonese Levy’s Alsatian Peasants and Moritz Daiel Oppenheim’s Frankfurt Burghers,” Norman L. Kleeblatt, “Transcendentalism and Tradition: The Art of Solomon Nunes Carvalho,” Elisabeth Kessin Berman, “The Tables of the Law: One of the Symbols of the French Revolution,” Renee Neher-Bernheim, “Modern Jewish Artists in Hungary,” Ilona Pataky-Brestyanszky, “The Awakening of Jewish National Art in Russia,” Mirjam Rajner, “Freidl Remembered,” Lena Makarova, “R.B. Kitaj’s ‘The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg’: A Personal Metaphor,” Carol Salus, “The Hanging Carcass Motif and Jewish Artists,” Avigdor W.G. Poseq, “The Unwritten Message – Visual Commentary in Twentieth-Century Haggadah Illustrations,” Haya Friedberg, “The Kirschstein Museum of Berlin,” Joseph Gutmann, “Project and Exhibition: Herancas e Lembrancas: Jewish Immigrants in Rio de Janeiro, exhibition review,” Ayala Feller, “Book Review: ‘Ancient Jewish Art and Archaeology in the Land of Israel’ by Rachel Hachlili,” Marilyn J. Chiat. (271277) $54.00
103. (Jewish Art) Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Jewish Art. Volumes Twelve-Thirteen. 1986/87. For Bezalel Narkiss on his sixtieth birthday. Center for Jewish Art, 1987. 372 pp. In Slipcase. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271283) $40.00
104. (Jewish Art) Narkiss B. Journal of Jewish Art Volume Eight. Center for Jewish Art, 1981. 108 pp. bottom corners bumped. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271281) $15.00
105. (Jewish Art) Narkiss B. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Nine. 1982. Dedicated to Maurice Spertus on his eightieth birthday. Center for Jewish Art of the Hebrew University, 1982. 120 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271284) $18.00
106. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Eleven, 1985. This Volume of the Journal to Professor Rachel Wischnitzer on her hundredth birthday. Center for Jewish Art, 1985. 88 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“God’s House of Peace in Paradise: The Feast of Tabernacles on a Jewish Gold Glass,” Archer St. Clair, “The Four Sons of the Haggadah and the Ages of Man,” Mira Friedman, “Humilitas: On a Controversial Medal of Benjamin Son of Elijah Beer The Physician (1497?-1503?),” Samuel S. Kottek, “Simeon Solomon and the Song of Songs,” Steven Kolsteren, “Erich Goeritz and Jewish Art Patronage in Berlin during rhe 1920s,” Abraham Gilam, “Exhibition: On the Illuminations of the Hebrew Manuscripts in Parma,” Yael Zirlin, Giza Frankel, 1895-1984,” Olga Goldberg, “Helen Rosenau, 1900-1984,” Gordon Higgott. (271282) $18.00
107. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Five 1978. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1978. 116 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Orpheus-David: A Connection in Iconography between Greco-Roman Judaism and Early Christianity?” Paul Corbey Finney, “The Beit Alpha Synagogue Mosiac: Towards an Interpretation,” John Wilkinson, “Egyptian Bondage and Exodus in the Ashburnham Pentateuch,” Ursula Schubert, “Moses Sweetens the ‘Bitter Waters’ of the ‘Portable Well’: an Interpretation of a Panel at Dura-Europas Synagogue,” Jo Milgrom, “In Quest of Jewish Style in the Era of the Russian Revolution,” Avram Kampf, “Chagall’s Jewish in-Jokes,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “Icon Painting and Russian Popular Art as Sources of some Works by Chagall,” Mira Friedman. (257007) $32.00
108. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume One 1974. Chicago: Spertus, 1974. 96 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
The Scheme of the Sanctuary from the Time of Herod the Great,” Narkiss, “Maimonides’ Drawings of the Temple,” Rachel Wischnitzer, “The Round-topped Tablets of the Law: Sacred Symbol and Emblem of Evil,” Ruth Mellinkoff, “Seven-Branched Candelabra in Christian Churches,” Peter Bloch, “Problemes d’Iconographie Judeo-Chretienne: La Theme de la Coiffure du Cohen Gadol dans l’Art Byzantin,” Elizabeth Revel-Neher, “A Stone of Remembrance,” Rochelle Weinstein, “Lipchitz and Picasso: Thematic Interpenetrations,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “What About Breastplates!” Guido Schoenberger (257010) $36.00
109. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Seven 1980. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1980. 118 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Synagogues and Churches in Byzantine Beit She’an,” Marilyn J. Chiat, “The Place of the London Haggadah in the Work of Joel ben Simeon,” Sheila Edmonds, “Italian Torah Binders,” Cissy Grossman, “The Jewish Artistic School of Kittsee,” Alexander Schreiber, “Notes on the Costume of the Jewish Woman in Eastern Europe,” Giza Frankel, “Lilien and Beardsley,” Milly Heyd, “The Second Generation in Israeli Architecture,” Michael D. Levin (257005) $30.00
110. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Six 1979. Jerusalem: Center for Jewish Art, 1979. 168 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“From My Archives,” Rachel Wischnitzer, “Cain and the Jews,” Ruth Mellinkoff, “A Psalter from Mar Saba and the Evolution of the David Cycle,” Anthony Cutler, “The Illustrations of the Kaufmann ‘Mishneh Torah,'” Gabrielle Sed-Rajna, “The Foa Bible,” Michel Garel, “The Hirsch and Rothschild Hanukkah Lamps,” Nancy Berman, “The Synagogues of Surinam,” Günter Böhm, “Hector Guimard’s ‘Art Nouveau’ Synagogue in Paris,” Carol Herselle Krinsky, “Note on ‘Micrography: A Jewish Art Form,'” Leila Avrin, “Chagall’s Interpretation of the Song of Songs,” Daphna Rix, “From the Collector’s Cabinet: Une Plaque de Torah antique,” Victor Klagsbald, “Catalogue of Catalogues: Bibliographical Survey of a Century of Temporary Exhibitions of Jewish Art,” William L. Gross, “Rachel Wischnitzer: a Bibliography,” Rochelle Weinstein. (257006) $26.00
111. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volume Two. Chicago: Spertus, 1975. 96 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“Toledo or Burgos?” Gabrielle Sed-Rajna, “The Rediscovery of the Wolf Haggadah,” Michel Garel, “A Group of Embroidered Cloths from Jerusalem,” Richard Barnett, “Little Known Handicrafts pf Polish Jews in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries,” Giza Frankel, “Ceramic Seder Plates From Non-Jewish Workshops,” David Davidovitch, “An Alleged Case of Image Desecration by the Jews and Its Representation in Art: The Virgin of Cambron,” Eric M. Zafren, “The Stones of Jerusalem,” Michael Levin, “The Cycle of Expulsion and Return: Mural by Yossel Bergner,”Avram Kampf. (257009) $30.00
112. (Jewish Art) Narkiss Bezalel editor. Journal of Jewish Art. Volumes Three and Four. Chicago: Spertus, 1977. 143 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“The Synagogues at Masada and Herodion,” Gideon Foerster, “Micrography: A Jewish Art Form,” Stanley Ferber, “Joel Ben Simeon’s Manuscripts: A Codicologer’s View,” Malachi Beit-Arie, “The Scuola Grande Tedesca in the Venice Ghetto,” David Cassuto, “Jonah, the Tower and the Lions: An Eighteenth Century Italian Silver Book Binding,” Hava lazar, “Jewish Weaving in Kurdistan,” Ora Schwartz, “Steinhardt’s Call for Peace,” Ziva Amishai-Maisels, “The Transformation of the Villa Savoye into the Jewish National Library: Le Corbusier’s Influence on Two Generations of Israeli Architects,” Michael Levin, “From the Collector’s Cabinet: Clay Lamps with Biblical Scenes,” Victor Klagsbald (257008) $36.00