Dear Friends and Colleagues:
This list is issued in memory of David Kanell – a wonderful bibliophile, Jewish scholar, and community leader who lived in Vermont. He died in April, and from his widow Beth I was able to obtain his Judaica and Holocaust library. It is a major collection with many books signed to him by scholars in the field with whom he corresponded.
This list contains many fundamental texts which are essential to a scholarly library.
I thank you for taking the time to peruse the list and sharing with colleagues. From our genizah in Massachusetts we are a resource to scholars, libraries and Holocaust Centers. We will persist in the midst of the overwhelming digital age we find ourselves in.
As the New Year approaches, we wish you all health, joy, and meaningful, endeavors
Ken aka Yekutiel Schoen
1. Alexander, Edward. The Resonance of Dust: Essays on the Holocaust and Jewish Fate. Columbus: Ohio State, 1979. Among writers discussed are Abba Kovner, I.B.Singer,Nelly Sachs,Saul Bellow and Chaim Grade. 8vo 257 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (272939) $15.00
2. Angress, Werner. Between Fear and Hope: Jewish Youth in the Third Reich. NY: Columbia UP, 1988. 8vo 186 pp. Very good condition. Hardback & DJ. (272924) $8.00
3. Bauer, Yehuda. The Holocaust in Historical Perspective. Tacoma: Univ. of Washington, 1978. 182 pp.dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273044) $5.00
4. Begley, Louis. Wartime Lies: A Novel. NY: Knopf, 1991. 198 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Excellent novel about the Holocaust in Poland through the eyes of a child (272934) $10.00
5. Bercovitch Reuben. Hasen. Knopf, 1978. 142 pages Two boys,one Gentile and one Jewish, hunting game alongside a concentration camp for the commandant and then the realization that the brother of one has been brought into the camp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273003) $10.00
6. Berenbaum,Michael inscribed bt. After Tragedy and Triumph: Essays in Modern Jewish Thought and the American Experience. NY: Cambridge, 1990. 196 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (273088) $15.00
7. Berenbaum,Michael inscribed bt. After Tragedy and Triumph: Essays in Modern Jewish Thought and the American Experience. NY: Cambridge, 1990. 196 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (273113) $10.00
8. Blau, Eric inscribed by. The Beggar’s Cup. NY: Knopf, 1993. 270 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Novel of modern Israel and the founding, by the author of Jacques Brel is Alive.. The protagonist is a Hollywood mogul who hid in the forests of Poland and saw his entire village consumed by the Nazis.. (272956) $18.00
9. Bondy, Ruth. The Emissary: A Life of Enzo Sereni. Boston: Atlantic Monthly Press, 1977. 265 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Italian Jewish Zionist, who returned from Palestine to North Italy during the Shoah, to rescue Jews and was murdered by Nazis (273034) $15.00
10. Briskin Mae. The Tree Still Stans A novel of Rescue and Resistance. Norton, 1991. 254 pp. based on true story of Jewish family fleeing France thrugh Alps to Italy. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272955) $16.00
11. Brombert Victor. Trains of Thought Memories of a Stateless Youth. Norton, 2002. 334 pp. extraordinary memoir of growing up in France and fleeing Vichy France to Spain and the USA and joining the US military, tremendous story. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272640) $6.00
12. Browning Christopher. The Origins of the Final Solution The Evolution of the Nazi Jewish policy Sept 1939-March 1942. Univ of Nebraska, 2004. 615 pages dj torn. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (272959) $15.00
13. Checinski Michael. Poland, Communism, Nationalism, Anti-Semitism. Karz, 1982. 288 pp. inscribed by author, fore edge foxed Begins with post War Poland and Kielce Massacre and fate of the survivors,et al. Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272385) $15.00
14. Cohn, Norman. Warrant for Genocide: The myth of the Jewish world conspiracy and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. NY: Harper and Row, 1967. 301 pp. dj torn and bookplate sfep. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
On the history of the Protocols. (272851) $12.00
15. Dean Carolyn. The Fragility of Empathy after the Holocaust. Cornell Univ, 2004. 203 pages . Very good condition. Paperback.
Traces changing attitudes toward the representation of the suffering vulnerable body. (273057) $7.00
16. Dinnerstein, Leonard. Uneasy at Home: Antisemitism and the American Jewish Experience. NY: Columbia, 1987. 281 pp. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273107) $17.00
17. Dobschiner, Johanna. Selected to Live. Old Rappan: Revell, 1973. Holocaust memoir. Raised Orthodox Jewish converted to Christianity. 12mo 190 pp. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272925) $10.00
18. Doneson, Judith. The Holocaust in American Film. Phil.: JPS, 1987. 8vo 263 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Investigates the ways in which specific films influenced and reflected the Americanization of the Holocaust. (272952) $10.00
19. Dwork Deborah Van Pelt Robert. Flight from the Reich Refugee Jews 1933-1946. Norton, 2009. 496 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272922) $12.00
20. Eber Irene. The Choice: Poland, 1939-1945. Schocken, 2004. 229 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Returning to her hometown of Mielec and her memories of the Shoah.Her family was murdered and she escaped. (273083) $6.00
21. Eidherr Armin (hrsg). Zwischenwelt 10. Diaspora – Exil als Krisenerfahrung. Jüdische Bilanzen und Perspektiven. Drava Kramer Gesellschaft, 2006. 437 pp. collection of essays. Very Good. Paperback. (258418) $15.00
22. Eisen, George. Children and Play in the Holocaust: Games among the Shadows. Amherst: Univ. of Mass, 1988. 163 pplibrary number at base of dj ands light library mark on fep. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Based on original documents, diaries and survivor interviews, explores how children and adults used play as means of survival. (272926) $10.00
23. Ezekiel Raphael. The Racist Mind Portraits of American Neo Nazis and Klansmen. Viking, 1995. 329 pp.includes with leaders and Ezekiel’s interpretation of the message and appeal. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273109) $16.00
24. Feiler Arthur. Das Experiment des Bolschewismus. Frankfurt: Societats Verlag, 1931. 277 pp.end papers slight foxing. Good. Boards.
Refugee teacher at New School for Social Research, was co author with Max Ascoli of Fascism for Whom? (258515) $15.00
25. Ferencz, Benjamin. Less than Slaves: A sequel to Hitler’s Holocaust, the story of Jewish forced labor. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 1979. 8vo 249 pp. dj tears. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (275155) $7.00
26. Figes, Eva. Little Eden: A Child at War. NY: Persea Books, 1978. 12mo 140 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Narative of her life in the countryside of England during the War, having fled Berlin in 1939 with her family. Reflections. (272920) $4.00
27. Fink Ida. Traces stories. NY: Metropolitan Books, 1997. 208 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Stories of the Holocaust. By author of Scrap of Time and the Journey. (272999) $15.00
28. Fink, Ida. The Journey. London: Hamish Hamilton, 1990. 251 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
By the author of A Scrap of Time. Novel of two Jewish girls disguised as Polish peasants working in Nazi Germany. (272644) $15.00
29. Fishman, Charles ( editor). Blood to Remember: American Poets on the Holocaust. Lubbock: Texas Tech Univ. Press, 1991. 12mo 426 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272950) $9.00
30. Florence Ronald. Emissary of the Doomed: Bargaining for Lives in the Holocaust. Viking, 2010. 328 pp. Jole Brand negotiating/bargaining on behalf of the Jewish Rescue Committee for the Jews of Hungary with Eichmann. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273070) $20.00
31. Foster John. Community of Fate. Allen and Unwin, 1986. 174 pp.An exploration of the experiences of 14 Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany who arrived in Melbourne between 1938 and 1949. Explores the way the under the shared impact of persecution and encounter with Australian society refugees rec onstructed their lives and shaped their values. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273082) $27.00
32. Frank Anne (Moser Barry designer and Joseph Goldyne illustrator). Diary of a Young Girl Het Achteruis. Pennyroyal and Jewish Heritage, , 1985. One of 350 numbered copies signed by the artist, Joseph Goldyne and book designer, Barry Moser. 2 volumes. Illustrated with 10 color etchings each signed by the artist, Joseph Goldyne, tissue guards. Second volume has an extra suite of plates also signed by the artist. Folio, volume One is full gray blind stamped morocco and Volume II is 1/2 gray morocco, slipcase. Magnificent limited edition. Very Good. Grey Morocco. (270303) $2,750.00
33. Friedlander Albert. Riders Towards The Dawn:: From Ultimate Suffering to Tempered Hope. Constable, 1993. 326 pp Collection of esays on Jewish theology, Jewish life throughut the Diaspra and the Holocaust . British edition American edition title was Riders Towards the Dawn : From Holocaust to Hope. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273059) $15.00
34. Friedman J. Why Should I Care?: Lessons From the Holocaust. Wordsmith, 2009. 261 pp.slight library marks. Very Good-. Paperback. (272540) $16.00
35. Ganglmair Sieg. Resistance and Persecution in Austria 1938-1945. Federal Press Service, 1988. 107 pp. cover creased. Good +. Wrapper.
Austria Documentation (272504) $12.00
36. Gegen den Strom. In memoriam Carl von Ossietzky; Carl von Ossietzky Medaille 1962 – 1987, Texte, Reden, Zitate. Internationale Liga f. Menschenrechte, 1988. 134 pp In German.Important German journalist during Weimar and exposed the rearmement movement in 1931 and was imprisoned and died in prison was given Nobel Prize in absentia. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272455) $17.00
37. Gold, Hugo. Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohmens in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart / 1. Judische Buch und Kunst, 1934. 735 pp. ex library with markings and book plate, hinges starting lacks title page . Good. Hardcover . (272370) $136.00
38. Govrin Michael. The Name. Riverhead, 1998. Daughter of Holocaust survivor trying to find atonement through refuge in an ultra Orthodox seminary translated from the Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (272936) $10.00
39. Greenberg, Gershon. Sh’erit Ha’pleta: Confronting the Impact of the Holocaust: A listing of articles and books reflecting the Jewish religious; responses to the Holocaust in its immediate aftermath (1944-1949). Ramat Gan: Finkler Institute, 1994. In Hebrew. 102 pp ex library with markings and pocket and book plate. Very Good. wrapper. (272433) $25.00
40. Grosz Georg. Die Gezeichneten. 60 Blätter aus 15 Jahren. Malik, 1930. 1-8 tausend. 126 pp.slight tears to covrs slight black mark on tp captures the decadence and violence of the Weimar period and the militarism in the background, stark powerful images. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272458) $130.00
41. Grudzinka-Gross Irina, Jan T. Gross. War through children’s eyes: The Soviet occupation of Poland and the deportations, 1939-1941 (Hoover archival documentaries). Hoover, 1981. 260 pp. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272921) $17.00
42. Halperin, Irving. Messengers from the Dear Literature of the Holocaust. Phil: Westminster, 1979. 142 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (276113) $15.00
43. Heinemann, Marlene. Gender and Destiny: Women Writers and the Holocaust. Westport: Greenwood Press, 1986. 12mo 149 pp. good. Cloth. (273081) $8.00
44. Hermon, Zvi. Vom Seelsorger zum Kriminologen: Rabbiner in Gottingen, Reformer des Gefangniswesens und Psychotherapeut in Israel. Gottingen: Otto Schwartz, 1990. 617 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Autobiography; left Germany in 1938 and emigrated to Palestine (272388) $25.00
45. Hirsch David. The Deconstruction of Literature: Criticism after Auschwitz. Btrown, 1991. 314 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (272951) $10.00
46. Hirschmann Ira. The Embers Still Burn: An eye-witness account of our get-soft-with-Germany policy. Simon and Schuster, 1949. 272 pp. dj torn bookplate With UNRRA visiting the Dislaced Persons Camps ,demoralizing conditions of the camps,swift rebuilding of our former enemy and the advent of the Cold War discouraged Hirschmann greatly
Had been involved in rescue work. Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273037) $10.00
47. Hofstein, Irene. Irene: Chronicle of a Survivor. NY: Shengold, 1997. 8vo 177 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Memoir of a German Jewish girl who emigrated to the USA and her letters to her grandmother trapped in Nazi Germany. (273074) $12.00
48. Holczler Moshe. Late Reflections: An Anthology of Holocaust Stories. NY: CIS, 1994. 188 pp.pp. Very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Written by Holocaust survivor who worked with survivors after the War, his memories of growing up and the Shoah and others surivirors’ recollections of the Shoah. (272439) $15.00
49. Holzner Johann (hrsg). Zwischenwelt 6/ Literatur Der “Inneren Emigration” Aus Osterreich. Kramer Gesellschaft and Docker, 1998. 473 pp collection of essays. Very Good. Paperback. (258419) $15.00
50. Hyman, Joseph. Twenty-Five Years of American Aid to Jews Overseas: A Record of the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. NY: Self, 1939. 12mo 63 pp. number on spine and slight library mark on fep. good. Cloth.
Chapter on the Nazi Era and Prelude to War.Hyman was Executive Director of the Joint. (272391) $26.00
51. Jabotinsky, Ze’ev. The War and The Jew. NY: Atalena Press, 1987. 299 pp. first published in 1942, foretold the Shoah and writes of work to get the Jews to flee Europe for Palestine. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
With A Foreword By Pierre Van Paasen And A Conclusion By Colonel John Henry Patterson, D.S.O. New Introductions By Menachem Begin And Dov Shilansky. Biography By Charles Shapiro.inscribed by Shapiro (273067) $18.00
52. (Jabotinsky). This is Betar. NY: Brith Trumpeldor of America, 1940s?. 64 pp.article about philosophy of self defense and establishing a state, philosophy about Jabotinsky and by him, discussed plight of Jews in Nazi Europe,ex library with pocket library boards. Good. Boards. (272516) $45.00
53. Jeffrey Laura. Simon wiesenthal Tracking Down Nazi Criminals. Enslow, 1997. 104 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (272912) $15.00
54. Kadrnoska Franz (editor). Aufbruch und Untergang; Osterreichische Kultur Zwischen 1918 und 1938. Wien: Europa Verlag, 1981. 637 pages. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (272387) $15.00
55. Kershaw Ian. Hitler the Germans and the Final Solution. Yale, 2008. 393 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (272896) $5.00
56. Kis Danilo. A Tomb for Boris Davidovich. HBJ, 1978. 135 pages dj good. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Russia during the Revolution and Stalin revealed through the lives of seven revolutionary Jews from different countries and destroyed by their ideals. (272992) $12.00
57. Klier Freya. Promised New Zealand: Fleeing Nazi Persecution. Otago, 2010. 254 pp. slight library mark title page Story of twenty four Jews who fled Nazi Germany for New Zealand. Very Good. Paperback. (272511) $17.00
58. Klosch Christian . Mimi Grossberg (1905-1997) Eine osterreichische Exilautorin in New York. Zirkular, 1999. 60 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (272503) $15.00
59. Lang Daniel. A Backward Look Germans Remember. mcgraw hill , 1979. 112 pp.sfep How the Shoah is remembered through lens of high school students and others,impressionistic odyssey. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273036) $12.00
60. Lang, Berel (editor). Writing and the Holocaust. NY: Holmes and Meier, 1988. 301 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Prominent writers explore the ways in which the historical and moral devestation has affected subsequent writing on the Shoah. (272942) $12.00
61. Laska Vera editor. Women in the Resistance and in the Holocaust: The Voices of Eyewitnesses (Contributions in Women’s Studies). Praeger, 1983. 330 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (273080) $15.00
62. Leff Lisa. The Archive Thief: The Man Who Salvaged French Jewish History in the Wake of the Holocaust. Oxford University Press, 2015. 286 pp.on Zosa Szajkowski, important historian who was caught removing documents from Jewish libraries, an investigation of his life and motives. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (268436) $15.00
63. Levy, Alan. The Wiesenthal File. MI: William B, Eerdmans Pub Co, 1993. 1st. 464 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Critical examination of his life and work (258465) $9.00
64. Lewin Isaac. Late Summer Fruit Essays. NY: Bloch, 1960. 175 pp. Good +. cloth.
Some important writings on the Holocaust including The Outlawing of Polish Jewry by the Nazis, Religious Life of Jewish Refugees in Soviet Russia, Polish Yeshivot in Exile during world War II, legal issues also covered (272457) $22.00
65. Liebmann, Kurt (Illustrations by Leah Grundig.). Im Tal des Todes. Dresden: Sachsenverlag, 1947. 44pp. Photograph,17 black and white illustrations. The corners are bumped, the spine and edges are worn, and there is a previous owner’s name and slight stamp. Illustrations by Leah Grundig are haunting and horrifying of the Shoah and aftermath. Text in German . Good. Boards.
Lea Lange was born in Dresden and raised as an Orthodox Jewish woman. However, she found the Orthodox environment stifling, and in 1922 she began several years of art studies, first at the Academy of Arts and Crafts and then at the Academy of Art. Lea was impressed by the works of Barlach and Kokoschka, and the War cycle by Otto Dix reinforced her deep convictions as a pacifist. Around 1924, she met her future husband, the artist Hans Grundig, who came from a working-class background, and in 1926 both joined the Communist Party…. In several etching cycles done during the early Nazi years, she aimed to depict “the thousand fears, the presentiment of doom, the imprisonment of the persecuted, the inhumanity and the fight against it by the best of mankind.” Starting in 1936, both Grundigs were in and out of concentration camps as a result of their past Communist affiliations and ongoing anti-Nazi activities. Lea managed to emigrate to Palestine, but Hans was incarcerated for the duration of the Nazi period. After World War II, Lea rejoined her husband in Dresden. Despite her unwavering Communist sympathies, Lea did not always have an easy time with the repressive East German regime, though toward the end of her life she was showered with many official honors.” Galerie St Etienne (272327) $85.00
66. Littman, Sol . War Criminal on Trial: The Rauca Case. Toronto: Lester and Orpen Dennys, 1983. 193pp. dj torn. Very Good. Paperback.
Astonishing story of Helmut Rauca the first Nazi war criminal in Canada to be extradited for war crimes. (272913) $12.00
67. Luel Steven editor. Psychoanalytic Reflections on the Holocaust: Selected Essays. Ktav, 1984. 236 pp. dj torn . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273055) $15.00
68. Lustig, Arnost. Diamonds of the Night. NY: NWUP, 1986. 287 pp dj torn . nine stories that span the Shoah from internment to liberation. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (272969) $15.00
69. MacKenzie Catherine . Auktion 392 – Reclaiming the Galerie Stern, Düsseldorf (Ben Uri). Fofa Gallery, 2008. 58 pp. Max Stern was a German Jewish art dealer arrested and ultimately sent to Auschwitz. This is an attempt to recreate some of the work that he had in his gallery . with extensive material on Stern and the plight of German Jewish art dealers. Very Good. Paperback. (272368) $10.00
70. Maimann Helene (redakteur). Osterreicher Im Exil 1934 Bis 1945. Protokoll Des Internationalen Symposiums Zur Erforschung Des Österreichischen Exils Von 1934 Bis 1945. Bundesverlag Dok des osterr. Widerstandes, 1977. 618 pp. presentations and discussions needs rebinding. Good-. Paperback. (272460) $25.00
71. Marchwitza Hans. Storm over the Ruhr. NY: International Publishers, 1932. 272 pp.slight stains to covers worn. good. Boards.
Novel of the resistance of the Ruhr miners to the Kapp Putsch of 1920. By important exile writer. Scarce title (272456) $20.00
72. Marrus Michael inscribed by. Perspectives on the Holocaust; (The Nazi Holocaust : Historical Articles on the Destruction of European Jews, No 1). Meckler, 1989. 446 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (273027) $25.00
73. Marrus, Michael signed by. The Unwanted European Refugees in the Twentieth Century. Oxford University Press, 1985. 414 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (273031) $15.00
74. Matas David. Justice Delayed Nazi War Criminals in Canada. Toronot: Summerhill Press, 1987. 275 pp.dj chipped. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Important book. Concerns the Deschenes Commission Inquiry and the sanctuary of war criminals in Canada and inaction (272915) $10.00
75. Medoff Rafael. The Student Struggle Against the Holocaust. Wyman Instittue, 2010. 256 pp. Work of three Rabbinical students and attempt to influence Congress and country to take action re the Shoah. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272464) $20.00
76. Meed, Vladka (inscribed and signed). On Both Sides of the Wall: Memoirs from Warsaw Ghetto. Ghetto Fighter’s House, 1973. 342 pp. tears along spine, cover rough ,book plate, long inscription in Yiddish by Meed on title page, and a separate personal note card “To young American Jews who have much understanding and heart feeling for our very tragic and heroic chapter in Jewish history” Vladka Meed 1974 Good-. Hardcover .
Vladka and her future husband Benjamin Meed pretended to be Aryans and helped organize the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. (270902) $75.00
77. Mishell William. Kaddish for Kovno: Life and Death in a Lithuanian Ghetto, 1941-1945. Chicago Review, 1988. 398 pp. fore edge foxed. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273427) $15.00
78. Moskovitz, Sarah. Love Despite Hate: Child Survivors of the Holocaust and Their Adult Lives. NY: Schocken Books, 1983. 245 pp. dj worn . Good condition. Hardback & Dust Jacket.
Study of children who came to Lingfield Surrey after the War from Terezin , interviews with twenty four former residents (273013) $15.00
79. Neave Airey. On Trial at Nuremberg. Little Brown, 1978. 348 pp.British soldier escaped from Colditz worked on devising escape routes for prisoners and chosen to advise Nazi War Criminals and deeply involved in the Trial. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272963) $12.00
80. Niezabitowska, Malgorzata. Remnants: The Last Jews in Poland. NY: Friendly Press, 1986. 272 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Text and photographs. Compelling. (272651) $15.00
81. Nir, Yehuda. The Lost Childhood: A memoir. Scholastic Press, 2002. Holocaust memoir. 281 pp. enlarged edition . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (272919) $10.00
82. Ofer Dalia and Weitzman Lenore (editors). Women in the Holocaust. New Haven: Yale, 1998. 402 pages. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (273092) $10.00
83. Ostow Robin. Jews in Contemporary East Germany: The Children of Moses in the Land of Marx. Macmillan, 1989. 169 pp. Excellent interviews with survivors and children of survivors . Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272509) $15.00
84. Page Alex. The Passing of a Family. Amherst: self published, 1990. 42 pp. Very good. Paperback.
Spent boyhood in Berlin from 1926 to 1937. Inscribed Became Professor at UMass. This work is about his Hungarian relatives and what happened to them in the Shoah. Eighteen members of his family perished. (272988) $12.00
85. Patterson David. The Shriek of Silence: A Phenomenology of the Holocaust Novel. Kentucky, 1991. 180 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272948) $15.00
86. Pauley Bruce. Hitler and the Forgotten Nazis; A history of Austrian National Socialism. Chapel Hill: UNC, 1981. 292 pages lacks free end paper library number on spine covered. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272577) $16.00
87. Pick, Hella. Simon Wiesenthal: A Life in Search of Justice. Boston: Northeastern UP, 1996. 348 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (272652) $10.00
88. Poliakov, Leon. The History of Anti-Semitism: Volume three From Voltaire to Wagner. NY: Vanguard, 1973. 399 pp. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273426) $15.00
89. Rapoport Louis. Shake Heaven and Earth: Peter Bergson and the Struggle to Rescue the Jews of Europe. Jerusalem: Gefen, 1999. 8vo 273 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (273046) $15.00
90. Rappaport Doreen. Beyond Courage : The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust. Candlewick, 2014. 228 pp. personalized eye witness accounts written for high school/college students. Very Good. Paperback. (272445) $15.00
91. Reichart, Walter. Max Pinkus 1857-1934. Munich: Akad. Graphische Gewerbe, 1957. Essays in memorium, 300 copies printed. 60 pp. papers on boards, lacks backstrip, mounted plate frontispiece, cover boards torn and marked. Good-. Boards.
Noted industrialist and bibliophile, library was confiscated by the Nazis and dispersed (272454) $20.00
92. Return to Life: The Holocaust Survivors: From Liberation to Rehabilation. Beth Hatefutsoth, 1985. 86 pp. ex library with pocket exhibition catalog filled with pictures. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
(Exhibition of The Nahum Goldmann Museum of the Jewish Diaspora) (272564) $20.00
93. Reznikoff Charles. Holocaust. Black Sparrow, 1975. 111 pp. poems about the Shoah . Good +. Paperback. (272977) $10.00
94. Rollansky (Roshanski Shmuel). Katsetlers fragmentn fun forsharbetn tsu der kharakteristik, zikhronot, bilder ; antologye; El confinado en los Campos de Concentracion en la literature Idish. Buenos Aires: IWO, 1982. 242 pp. in Yiddish ex library with book plate and pocket, stamp on fore edge. Good. Hardcover . (272473) $36.00
95. Rosensaft Menachem. God Faith & Identity from the Ashes Reflections of Children and Grandchildren of Holocaust Survivors. Jewish Lights, 2015. 305 pp. about 100 individuals. Good. Hardcover . (273077) $10.00
96. Rosenzweig, Luc. Waldheim. NY: Adama Books, 1987. 12mo 184 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
What did Kurt Waldheim really do during WW2? (272917) $10.00
97. Roth, Joseph. What I saw; Reports from Berlin 1920-1933. Norton, 2003. 226 pages . Very good. Hardback & DJ.
Weimar Berlin through the eyes of the author of Radetzky March and Job. Michael Hofmann’s expert translation of the “poem on every page” (Brodsky) collection of essays, Joseph Roth in Berlin: Ein Lesebuch fur Spazierganger (ed. Michael Bienert). The essays are divided into nine sections. The first (“What I saw”) consists of “Going for a Walk”, a wonderful contribution to Stadtspaziergangliteratur (cf. Walser’s “The Walk”); the last, (“Look Back in Anger”), of the unforgettable “The Auto-da-Fe of the Mind”, Roth’s contemporary account (written in the fall of 1933 in Paris–in French!) of the Nazi book burnings. In between one finds more essays on each of these topics: The Jewish Quarter, Displaced Persons, Traffic, Berlin under Construction, Bourgeoisie and Bohemians, Berlin’s Pleasure Industry, and An Apolitical Observer goes to the Reichstag. (272444) $15.00
98. Ruckerl, Adalbert. The Investigation of Nazi Crimes 1945-1978: A Documentation. Heidelberg: Archon, 1980. 145 pp.,dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272916) $9.00
99. Russell Jan. The Train to Crystal City: FDR’s Secret Prisoner Exchange Program and America’s Only Family Internment Camp During World War II. Scribner’s, 2015. 393 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273073) $15.00
100. Sacco, Jack. Where the Birds Never Sing; The True Story of the 92nd Signal Battalion and the Liberation of Dachau. Regan, 2003. 312 pp. Cover creased. Very Good. Paperback. (276202) $10.00
101. Sartre Jen Paul. On Genocide And a summary of the evidence and the judgments of the International War Crimes Tribunal. Beacon, 1968. 85 pp. sfep. Very Good. Paperback.
Tribunal concerned the US involvement in Vietnam (273005) $15.00
102. Scholem, Gershom. From Berlin to Jerusalem: Memories of My Youth. NY: Schocken Books, 1988. 178 pp. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Growing up in an assimilated Jewish family in Berlin,interest in mysticism,emigration to Palestine,friendships. (273467) $7.00
103. Schulman Helen. The Revisionist a Novel. Crown, 1998. Novel of child of Holocaust survivor and his taking on the world of Holocaust deniers and the havoc of his life. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272933) $15.00
104. Schwarz-Bart, Andre. The Last of the Just. NY: Atheneum, 1961. 374 pp.torn dj. good. Hardback & DJ.
One of the most powerful works on Jewish suffering through the ages, from the pogroms to the gas chambers. (272930) $5.00
105. Segal Naftali. BaShaAr Sefer Limude HaLashon HaIvrit sefer Rishon; baszaar baschaar. Tel Aviv: Newman , 1948. 108 pp. In Hebew Polish German Yiddish paper yellowing but not brittle taped spine. Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
special Edition for the American Jewish Joint for use by olim and survivors coming to Israel (272497) $79.00
106. Sevela, Efraim. Legends from Invalid Street. NY: Doubleday, 1974. 212 pp. dj torn. Good. Hardback & DJ.
Stories about Jews in Lithuania before and during the Holocaust. (272991) $8.00
107. Shadur, Joseph. A Drive to Survival: Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal: 1940. South Deerfield: Schoen Books, 1999. 144 pp. Holocaust memoir by authority on Jewish papercuts. Fine/As new. Cloth.
Through the eyes of a twelve year old, fleeing the Nazis in the family’s Oldsmobile. We published the book. (258889) $10.00
108. Sheftel, Yoram. The Demjanjuk Affair The Rise and Fall of a Show Trial. Gollancz, 1993. 378 pp. new. Hardback & DJ. (272962) $15.00
109. Sheinson Yosef illustrations Adler Mikos woodcuts Touster Saul editor . A Survivors’ Haggadah. JPS, 2000. 91 pp. book designed by Scott Kosofsky “Originally published in Munich 1946 for the first Passover after liberation and printed by the US Army of Occupation. Here presented in a facsimile edition with an English translation.” Very Good. Hardcover . (272461) $30.00
110. Sherman Martin. Bent. Avon, 1979. 68 pp. Play about two homosexual lovers and their arrest by the Nazis and issues of survival in Dachau, Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272953) $17.00
111. Silver Daniel. Refuge in Hell; How Berlin’s Jewish Hospital Outlasted the Nazis. Houghton Miflin, 2003. 308 pages. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (273032) $7.00
112. Stanton, Alfred (editor). Personality and Political Crisis: New Perspectives from Social Science and Psychiatry for Study of War and Politics. Glencoe: Free Press, 1951. 260 pp. (inscribed by Harold Lasswell to Daniel Lerner), covers worn, dog eared pages. Good. Cloth.
Important chapter by David Levy on Anti Nazis and Nazis for the purpose of determining criteria of differentiation., Lasswell on Propaganda and Mass Insecurity (272459) $20.00
113. Suhl, Yuri. They Fought Back: The Story of the Jewish Resistance in Nazi Europe. NY: Crown Publishers, 1967. 8vo 330 pp.dj tears. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (273478) $10.00
114. Tedeschi, Giuliana. There is a Place on Earth: A Woman in Birkenau. NY: Pantheon, 1992. 216 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Memoir of an Italian Jewish woman who survived Birkenau. (273129) $12.00
115. Toll, Nelly. Behind the Secret WIndow: A Memoir of a Hidden Childhood During WW2. NY: Dial, 1993. 161 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Includes 29 wartime paintings of the author. (272923) $9.00
116. USHMM. A National Commitment to remember Official Groundbreaking Days of Remembrance 1986. USHMC, 1986. 53 pp. includes various speeches, covers slightly bent. Good. Wrapper. (273019) $10.00
117. Ustinov Peter. We were only human. Atlantic Little Brown, , 1961. about 25 pages of chariacatures of Nazi war criminals and their statements, title page creased. Good. Hardcover . (272928) $15.00
118. Vago, Bela. The Shadow of the Swastika: The Rise of Fascism and Anti-Semitism in the Danube Basin: 1936-1939. England: Saxon House, 1975. 8vo 430 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (273025) $17.00
119. Wardi, Dina. Memorial Candles: Children of the Holocaust. NY: Routledge, 1993. 270 pp. slight library marks. Very Good-. Hardcover .
Psychotherapeutic work with children of survivors. Studies the transmission of trauma, use of group therapy. Important work (272502) $14.00
120. Waterford, Helen. Commitment to the Dead: One Woman’s Journey Toward Understanding. Frederick: Renaissance House, 1987. 8vo 168 pp. Very Good-. Wrapper.
Survivor of Nazi camps,visits schools in the USA with Alfons Hecks,former Nazi Youth leader, discussing her experiences. (272467) $15.00
121. Watt, D C. Personalities and Policies: Studies in the Formulation of British Foreign Policy in the 20th Century. Notre Dame: Notre Dame, 1965. 276 pp.dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ.
Includes chapter on German influence on British Opinion 1933-38 (272628) $10.00
122. Weingarten, Yerahmiel. A Velt in flamen: milhome-iberlebungen. A World in Flames. Montreal: Eagle, 1942. In Yiddish 240 pp. inscribed by author, slight library mark on fep. Good-. Hardcover . (272471) $20.00
123. Weinstein, Frida Scheps. A Hidden Childhood: A Jewish girl’s Sanctuary in a French convent: 1942-45. NY: Hill and Wang, 1985. 151 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (272918) $8.00
124. Weisbord, Robert. The Chief Rabbi, the Pope, and the Holocaust: An Era in Vatican-Jewish Relations. Phil.: Transaction, 1992. 231 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (272960) $17.00
125. Weyl Nathaniel. The Battle Against Disloyalty. Crowell, 1951. 375 pp number on spine and slight library mark on fep. Good +. Hardcover .
Fighting and finding Nazi and Communist spies (272468) $10.00
126. Winks Robin. Cloak and Gown; Scholars in America’s Secret War. Collins Harvill, 1987. A study of the OSS and its work after the War; 606 pages dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (273106) $8.00
127. Wollschlaeger Bernd. A German Life – Against all odds, change is possible. Emor, 2007. 200 pp. slight library marks Grew up in post war Germany discovered father was decorated Nazi hero, emigrated to Israel became Jewish and ultimately settled in Florida Extensive material on life in Germany and experiences . Very Good. Paperback. (272423) $15.00
128. Young, James inscribed by. Writing and Rewriting the Holocaust: Narrative and the Consequences of Interpretation. Indiana University Press, 1988. 243 pp. Very Good-. Hardback & DJ. (273110) $15.00
129. Zipes, Jack (translator). The Operated Jew: Two Tales of Anti-Semitism. NY: Routledge, 1991. 137 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Story by Oskar Panizza and responded story by Mynona(Salomo Friedlander) The Operated Goy. Myths of modern Anti-Semitism. (273121) $25.00