Dear friends and colleagues,
As the New Year approaches, I find the writings of Abraham Joshua Heschel inspiring. In a book of essays, Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity, he says the following:
“Our life is beset with difficulties, yet it is never devoid of meaning. The feeling of utility is absent from our souls. Our existence is not in vain. Its meaning may not be explicable to us, yet even when we do not know what it is, we know that it is. There is a divine earnestness about our life. This is our dignity. To be invested with dignity means to represent something more than oneself. The gravest sin for a Jew is to forget what he represents.
“There is a war to wage against the vulgar, against the glorification of the absurd, a war that is incessant, universal. Loyal to the presence of the ultimate and the common, we may be able to make it clear that man is more than man, that in doing the finite he may perceive the infinite.”
We wish you and your loved ones a coming year of good health, much joy, and divine earnestness.
שלום ושנה טובה
1. Almagor Gika (P). אלכס לרנר, דפי ואני Aleks Lerner, Dafi va-ani. Am Oved, 2002. In Hebrew writing on pastedown 178 pp. for young adults. Very Good-. Hardcover .
This is a story about friendship, love and loss, told by 12-year-old Avner. Dealing with parental discord, new friendships and illness and love (271977) $23.00
2. Almagor Gila (P). עץ הדומים תפוס “Etz ha’domim tafus = Our Tree on the Top of the Hill. Am Oved, 2011. In Hebrew writing on pastedown 114 pp. for young adults. Very Good-. Hardcover . (271978) $25.00
3. Alperin Mimi foreword (P). A Statement on Jewish education : text and responses. American Jewish Committee, 2000. 71 p. 18 responses to statement by educators and religiious leaders. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272874) $25.00
4. Altshuler Mordechai (P). יהדות במכבש הסובייטי : בין דת לזהות יהודית בברית–המועצות, Judaism in the Soviet Vise : Between Religion and Jewish Identity in the Soviet Union, 1941-1964. The Zalman Shazar Center for Jewish History, 2007. 554 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (271939) $20.00
5. Amir Zivia. Arabesque: Decorative Needlework from the Holy Land. Reinhold, 1978. 64 pp. dj torn former owner name on free end paper. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272180) $10.00
6. Bachi Ruth. Ruletta rusit qorot Manya Wilbusevus Sohat be Rusya, roman doqumentari; Mania Vilbushevich Shohat in Russia. Ministry of Defense, 1992. 349 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (272121) $26.00
7. Benisch Dr A. Travels of Rabbi Petachia of Ratisbon : who, in the latter end of the twelfth century, visited Poland, Russia, Little Tartary, the Crimea, Armenia, Assyria, Syria, the Holy Land, and Greece; translated from the Hebrew with the original on opposite pages. Longman, 1861. 106 pp. ex library with pocket. Good +. library binding. (272136) $85.00
8. Berekhya ben Natronay, ha-Naqdan; Hermann Gollancz (inscribed by) (P). ספר דודי ונכדי Dodi ve-nechdi. Milford, 1920. 161+ 59 pp. In English and Hebrew; bookplate and library stamps. Good. Hardcover .
The work of Berachya Hanakdan ; now edited from mss. at Munich and Oxford, with an English translation, introduction etc. ; to which is added the first English translation from the Latin of Adelard of Bath’s Quaestiones naturales by Hermann Gollancz. (272002) $40.00
9. Bialik Hayyim Nahman. Shirim u-fizmonot li-yeladim. Tel Aviv: Dvir, 1933. 174 pp.In Hebrew last page torn covers worn and stained wonderful stories and inspired illustrations by Gutman. Good +. Boards.
[metsuyarim ʻa. y. Nahum Gutman]. (271949) $125.00
10. Blackman Murray. A Guide to Jewish Themes in American Fiction: 1940 1980. Scarecrow, 1981. 266 pp, Very Good. Hardcover . (273183) $17.00
11. Bontempi Franco. Storia delle comunità ebraiche a Cremona e nella sua provincia. Societa per la storia del popolo ebraico,, 2002. 322 pp. slight library marks. Good. Paperback. (272834) $16.00
12. Book Tuvia. For the sake of Zion : pride and strength through knowledge, an educator’s guide. Board of Jewish Education of Greater New York : Jewish Agency for Israel,, 2005. 136 pp. + CD. Very Good. Paperback. (272171) $30.00
13. Borne Ludwig. ha-Yehudi ha-nitshi; (Der Ewige Jude) translated by A I Dzon. Lemberg: Druck von A. Wajdowicz, 1885. 44 pp. In Hebrew ex library with pocket. Good. Boards. (272247) $23.00
14. Breen Jon editor. Synod of Sleuths: Essays on Judeo-Christian Detective Fiction. Scarecrow, 1990. 158 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (273063) $17.00
15. Buber, Martin and Rosenzweig, Franz. Die Funf Bucher der Weisung. Berlin: Lambert Schneider, 1930. 654 pp. bookplate removed and also small book plate that states Geschenk der Franz Rosenzweig Gedachtnis Stiftung. Good +. Hardcover .
“Und die Erde war Irrsal und Wirrsal.” (272894) $36.00
16. Busi Giulio (P). Mantova e la Qabbalah / Mantua and the Kabbalah. Skiro, 2001. 80 pp. In English and Italian exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271946) $38.00
17. Buzaglo Meir. Safah la-neʼemanim : mahashavot ʻal ha-masoret; A language for the faithful Reflection on tradition. Ḳeren Mandel, 2009. 231 pp.In Hebrew library name on fore edge. Very Good-. Paperback. (271872) $18.00
18. Cahan J M editor. Moses Maimonides : octocentenary memorial. Philadelphia: Phi Lambda Kappa quarterly., April 1935. 58 + 20 pp. articles and fraternity information. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272124) $36.00
19. Citron S L. Sefer zikaron leha-Rabanit Ester Rubenshṭeyn z”l le-yom-motah ha-rishon, Shemini Atseret 685 : ḳovets maʼamarim bi-ʻivrit ve-Yehudit. Vilna: 1925. 89 pp In Hebrew . covers worn and soiled a bit, Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
She married Yitzhak Rubinstein, who subsequently became Chief Rabbi of Vilna – the first in over 200 years – and she was heavily involved in Vilna community affairs and was an ardent Zionist. This is in contrast to her father who compared Zionists to “the Berlin group . . . of maskilim.” She was also very learned and R. Weinberg provides that when her father couldn’t remember a source, he would ask Ester who could always provide it. Ester was also involved in woman’s issues. She started a girls school in Vilna and wrote why woman’s suffrage is allowed under Jewish law. Ester died young, at age 43, in 1924. A Sefer Zikhron was published in her honor and, among others, R. Weinberg wrote a beautiful article describing Ester in the most honorific terms. An English translation was published by Dr. Leiman. Additionally, a memorial service was held in the Great Synagogue of Vilna, according to Leiman, “this was the only woman ever accorded this honor.” (272840) $40.00
20. Dan, Joseph,. Ḥasidut Ashkenaz be-toldot ha-maḥshavah ha-Yehudit. yeḥidah 5. ʻErkhe musar ba-Hasidut Ashkenaz. yeḥidah; Ashkenazi Hasidism in the History of Jewish Thought. ha-Universitah ha-petuhah,, 1990. 290 pp. ex library with markings and pocket. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271994) $36.00
21. Dan, Joseph,. Ḥasidut Ashkenaz be-toldot ha-maḥshavah ha-Yehudit. yeḥidah 9. Torat ha-sod. yeḥidah; Ashkenazi Hasidism in the History of Jewish Thought. ha-Universitah ha-petuhah,, 1990. 271 pp. ex library with markings and pocket. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271995) $36.00
22. Dar Dina Berman Nancy (P). A Loop of Fate: Dina Dar’s Odyssey to Jewish Portugal [January 24 – May 31, 1992 Exhibit at the Hebrew Union College Skirball Museum]. HUC, 1992. 16 pp. plus six slides of her work, textile artist. Very Good. Wrapper. (258868) $17.00
23. Davidson Israel inscribed by. Fascinating researches in mediaeval Hebrew poetry (reprint). Philadelphia: Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning, 1925. pp. 99-126 important scholar who taught at JTS His magnum opus was the four volume Otsar ha-shirah veha-piyut = Thesaurus of Mediaeval Hebrew Poetry (NY, 1924–1933). Good condition. Cloth.
“Reprinted from the Jewish quarterly review, new series, volume XXVI, number 2.” (272265) $36.00
24. Defus limudi Yerushalayim. קובץ אותיות לספרים : עבריות, לטיניות, יווניות, ערביות ועוד. Mifʻale Hadasah le-hinukh miktsoʻi, Defus limudi Yerushalayim,, 1955. 43 pp. slight library marks taped spine. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“This booklet containing specimens of our book faces has been printed at the Hadassah Apprentice School of Printing, Jerusalem Israel, 1955”–Colophon. (272863) $25.00
25. Di Pipels Relief fun Amerika : fakten un dokumenten, 1915-1924, 675-684; The People’s Relief of America : facts and documents, 1915-1924.
. Aroysgegeben fun der Spetsyeler Bukh Komite, 1924. 778 pp. ex library with pocket paper yellowing In Yiddish. Fair. Hardcover .
“Financial report from incipiency to liquidation June 4, 1924 (272138) $65.00
26. Diesendruck Z. ha-Medinah le-Aplaton; The Republic of Plato Volume 1 Books 1-111. Mizpah, 1935. 428 pp. In Hebrew slight water stains to cover and title page. Good. Hardcover . (272120) $18.00
27. Dietrich Vitum. Wie man das volck zur Buss und ernstlichem gebet wider den Turcken auff der Cantzel vermanen sol : Sambt einer unterricht vom gebet Und einer kurtzen außlegung des LXXIX. Psalmen. Nuremberg: Berg und Neuber, 1542. foxing throughout to edges , last signature has an old repair to the hinge which has been slighly damaged by a worm, bottom free end paper torn at the hinge about two inches, later binding half bound in cloth and paper (1879? based on pasted hand written bookplate on front end paper) Good +. Boards. (272831) $1,360.00
28. Dushkin Alexander ( P). Jewish Education in the Untied States: Peport of the Commission for the Study of Jewish Education in the United States. Volume 1. The American Association for Jewish Education,, 1959. 264 pp. cover coming loose stain to back cover. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271816) $15.00
29. Elior Rachel (P). Paradoxical Ascent to God, The – The Kabbalistic Theosophy of Habad Hasidism. SUNY, 1993. 278 pp. slight library mark tp and fore edge. Very Good-. Paperback. (271869) $25.00
30. Ettingen, S[hmuel]. Hatkanat derakhim Highway Engineering Kerech Alef. Tel Aviv: Hotsʼat ha-mehaber, 1930. 87 pp. ex library with marking in library binder. Good. library binding. (272021) $40.00
31. Evanier David. Red Love A Novel. Scribnr, 1991. 340 pp. Amazing novel of the execution of the Rosenbergs and the appeal of the Stalinist Communist Party to
many in NYC, author tries to understand years later others who supported the Party. Very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273116) $20.00
32. Feinstein Abraham Asher . Meggilat puraniyot neuraot Pinsk vehevel Polesia bishenot ha-milhama ha-olamit. Tel Aviv: 1929. 209 pp.In Hebrew some slight worm holes, needs binding. atrocities in Pinsk during the War. Good. Hardcover . (272974) $65.00
33. Feldmann Jehoschuah. Die Jemenitischen Juden. Koln: Hauptbureaus des Judischen Nationalfonds , 1912. 40 pp. with many images . Good. Wrapper. (272903) $15.00
34. Foster Geraldine editor. Congregation of the Sons of Israel and David : one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary : a pictorial memoir. Providence: Temple Beth-El, 1980. 52 pp. lots of illustrations ex library with pocket a history of the shul William Braude was the Rabbi emeritus. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271992) $36.00
35. Frankova Anita,. History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia: Exhibition Guide, Jewish Museum in Prague, 1999. 78 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (271904) $15.00
36. Freimann Aron. A Gazetteer of Hebrew Printing. NYPL, 1946. 86 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272174) $30.00
37. Friend Robert guest editor Will Frederic editor. Micromegas (Volume VII Number 1) An Israeli Issue. Amherst: Micromegas, 1977. 34 pp. Many poems by Yehuda Amichai and others translated by Robert Friend. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272034) $55.00
38. Friend Robert. Selected Poems. Sea Horse Press, 1979. 44 pp. important Israeli poet inscribed n 1982 to Jane Trigere. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272037) $30.00
39. Frymer Berl inscribed by . Jewish horizons. Cornwall Books, 1983. 176 pp. book plate and library mark inscribed by author collection of essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (271813) $25.00
40. The gates of Jerusalem Haggadah Hagadat Shaʻare Yerushalayim. Carta, 1978. 66 pp.in Hebrew.
A gift from The Israel Cancer Association to its contributors and benefactors. (272188) $15.00
41. Goldberg A editor. Al Mitzpe Hahinuch. montreal: canadian zionist federation, 1977. Volume 5 no 1-2 83+59 pp. In Hebrew and English teaching about Jerusalem. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272107) $25.00
42. Goldstein Judith S. (P). Crossing lines : a record of the 1992-93 exhibit. University of Maine Museum of Art., 1992. 54 pp. slight library marks filled with article and pictures of Maine Jewry. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
“This exhibit was based on Judith S. Goldstein’s book Crossing Lines, histories of Jews and Gentiles in three Maine communities …” (271825) $36.00
43. Goldstein Roberta. Fling Jeweled Pebbles. Golden Quill, 1963. 82 pp.dj torn inscribed by author some Jewish themes in her poetry. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (272967) $15.00
44. Greenebaum Linda Schein. Elizer’s Troupe; Scheins in America 1890 – 1999. self, 1999. 192 pp. + 8 pp. of family trees. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273118) $32.00
45. Gross Heinrich Distrikt Rabbiner in Augsburg. Lehrbuch der israelitischen Religion : fur die oberen Klassen der Mittelschulen. Kauffmann, 1907. 207 pp. book plate and pocket ex library reading copy. Good. Boards. (272876) $17.00
46. Halevy music by. La Juive The Jewess Opera in Five Acts. Fred Rullman, Inc., 1919. 37 pp. tears to covers and puncture mark to cover reading copy. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272043) $30.00
47. Ḥayyim Ḥabsus ; Goitein Shelomo Dov. Travels in Yemen : an account of Joseph Halevy’s journey to Najran in the year 1870 written in San’ani Arabic by his guide Hayyim Habshush. Hebrew University, 1941. 102+ 138 pp. In English and hebrew, ex library with book plate and pocket, white title on spine. Good-. Hardcover . (272133) $125.00
48. Henkin Rabbi Yehuda responsum of. Women’s Zimmun and Whether Men (Who are Present) Must Leave. B’nei Banim Edah, 1999. volume 3 number 1 16 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272160) $10.00
49. Hertz Dr. J.H. The First Pastoral Tour to the Jewish Communities of the British Overseas Dominions. H. Milford, 1924. 72 pp.ex library with markings and pocket,title written in white on spine, filled with photographs of shuls and buildings throughout the Commonwealth. Good +. Boards. (272218) $185.00
50. Herzl Theodor. Gesammelte Zionistische Werke in funf Banden. [VOL.I]: Zionistische Schriften / [VOL.II]: Tagebucher I. / [VOL.III]: Tageucher II. / [VOL.IV]: Tagebucher III. / [VOL.V]: Das neue Ghetto; Altneuland; Aus dem Nachlass. Hozaah Ivrith, 1934. ++++ pages. covers worn , hinges started on few volumes. Good. Hardcover . (272813) $118.00
51. Hirschfeld Hartwig. Qirqisani Studies. London: Jews’ College, 1918. 59 pp. ex library with markings and library pocket, library binding and new spine. Good +. library binding.
Hirschfeld (1854 1934) was a “scholar of Judeo-Arabic literature. Hirschfeld, who was born in Thorn, Prussia, received his doctorate from Strasbourg (1878) . He emigrated to England in 1889 and taught first at Montefiore College in Ramsgate. Hirschfeld’s chief interest lay in the interplay between the Arab and Jewish cultures as well as in the Arabic literature of the Jews. Hirschfeld wrote numerous articles in various journals concerning problems of Arabic and Hebrew philology and bibliography; of especial importance is a series of essays concerning the Arabic fragments in the Cairo Genizah (EJ) (272220) $32.00
52. Horovitz Joseph Walter Joseph Fischel; Shelomo Dov Goitein (P). וסף הורוביץ ז״ל (634־691); Joseph Horovitz, 1874-1931. University Press, 1932. 22+ 14 pp. ex library with markings Bibliography of the publications of Joseph Horovitz / W.J. Fischel —
The scientific work of Joseph Horovitz / S.D.F. Goitein. Good. library binding. (272864) $25.00
53. Iakerson Shimon. The Grand Choral Synagogue in St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg: 2006. 50 pp. first twenty in English and the rest in Russian, filled with infomation and color images. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271866) $45.00
54. K.A.M. jubilee book. Chicago: Kehillath Anshe Mayriv, 1928. 183 pp. with lots of advertising and date book ex library with pocket. Good. Hardcover . (271999) $30.00
55. Kaplan Mendel inscribed by. From Shtetl to Steelmaking; The story of three immigrant families and a family business. Kaplan Kushlick Foundation,, 1979. 144 pp. dj torn and creased three Jewish families that immigrated to Cape Town South Africa and their family histories and business success story. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271894) $32.00
56. Kaplan Mitchell. Panorama of ancient letters : four and a half centuries of Hebraica and Judaica; bibliographical notes and descriptions of 1,000 rare books and manuscripts, forming a part of the Mitchell M. Kaplan collection, presented to New York University Jewish Culture Foundation. Illustrated with reproductions of 300 title pages. New York University. Jewish Culture Foundation. Library, 1942. 316 pp. tear to spine, stain to cover. Good. Paperback. (272172) $24.00
57. Kaplan Mordecai. The Aims of Reconstructionism. Reconstructionist Press, 1970s?. 12 pp. with pocket ex library A Reconstructionist pamphlet. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272210) $12.00
58. Katz Ben Zion Ben-Tsiyon Kats. Rabanut, hasidut, haskalah : le-toldot ha-tarbut ha-Yisraʼelit, mi-sof ha-meʼa 16 ʻad ha-reshit ha-meʻa 19 Kerek Shenei; Rabbinate, Hasidism, Education: The history of Israeli culture, from the end of the seventeenth century to the beginning of the nineteenth century. Agudat ha-sofrim ha-ʻivrim le-yad devir,, 1958. 261 pp. hinge starting In Hebrew Part two hinge starting. Good. Hardcover .
Katz was an amazing scholar and personality whose life and journeys mirrorer 19th-20th century Jewry from St Petersberg to Berlin to Mexico to Palestine, stayed true to socialist beliefs (272056) $56.00
59. Klausner; Samuel Z David P Varady; Har Zion Temple (Philadelphia, Pa.). Synagogues without ghettos. Center for Research on the Acts of man,, 1970. 194 pp+ Appendix and the actual questionnaire, study commissioned by Har Zion of Lower Merion Township in Philadelphia of its membership, ex library with markings, typed manuscript. Very Good. library binding. (271989) $45.00
60. Klein Shmuel. Sefer ha-yishuv: otsar ha-yedi ot veha-reshomot, ha-ketuvot veha-zikhronot, she-nishtamru ba-Yisrael uva-Amim ba-lashon ha-ivrit uba-sha’ar al yishuv Yisra el ve-toldotov be-artso mi-yeme hurban Bayit sheni ad reshit ha-hityashvut ha-hadashah bi-yeme Hibat Tsiyon. In Two Volumes. Kerakh Rishon, Helek Rishon: Me-Yeme Hurban Bayit Sheni ad Kivush Erests Yisrael al yad Ha-Aravim. Kerakh Seni: Me-yeme Kivush Erets-Yisrael al-yede Ha-Aravim ad Masa’i Ha-Tsalav. Dvir : Mosad Bialik, 1939+ 1944. 216 pp.+ 155 pp.In Hebrew ex library with markings and pocket . Good. Boards. (271975) $45.00
61. Kogan Leonid. Nepostizhimy puti liudskie roman; Incomprehensible paths of life :. Jerusalem: 2002. 189 pp.in Russian bookplate and library marks tp. Very Good. Paperback. (272127) $18.00
62. Kosmin Barry Alexander. The attachment of British Jews to Israel. JPR/Institute for Jewish Policy Research, 2000. 23 pp.bookplate on back pastedown. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272129) $17.00
63. Lavinsky Arthur Rabbi. Celebrating One Hundred plus Five Years Ohavi Zedek Synagogue1885-1990. Burlington Vermont : OZS, 19990. Eight pages of text which includes history of the shul,membership and then twenty five pages of support advertisements. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (273097) $15.00
64. Leib Mani. Soneten (Sonnets). Paris: Di Goldene Pave, 1962. 71 pp. In Yiddishscotch tape residues on end papers. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272108) $16.00
65. Levin Sunie. Mingled Roots : A Guide for Jewish Grandparents of Interfaith Grandchildren. B’nai B’rith Women, 1991. 84 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272182) $15.00
66. Levitt Isidore inscribed by. Invitation : a collection of poems and fables. self, 1984. 161 pp. poems by Russian Jewish objector from Uman who fled Czarist Russia for USA. lived in Boston and remained a peace activist. Very Good. Paperback. (272826) $30.00
67. Little David editor. Peacemakers in Action: Profiles of Religion in Conflict Resolution. Tanenbaum Center for Interreligious Understanding, 2007. 524 pp. includes chapters on Israel and Gaza. Very Good-. Paperback. (271963) $16.00
68. Luise Kaish: sculpture (P). Jewish Museum, 1973. 24 pp. book plate and slight library mark exhibition catalog. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
Catalogue of the exhibition held October 2, 1973 through December 2, 1973. (271860) $24.00
69. Malachi, E.R. Zekher le-Hilel: Bibliyografyah shel Yetsirot Hilel Bavli be-Shirah u-Frozah u-Reshimat ha-Maamarim Shenikhnivo elav ve-al Sipurav/ Zecher L’Hillel: Bibliography of the Works of Hillel Bavli In Poetry and Prose and of the Literature About Him. JTS, 1962. 86 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (272117) $17.00
70. Manor-Pfeffer Shimrit ; Mikhal Ḳeranot; Uri Ḳeranot (P). יונתן רוצה ספור אחר / Yonatan rotseh sipur aḥer. Aḥuzat bayit, 2014. 30 pp. wonderful children’s story with whimsical illustrations In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (272890) $30.00
71. Megged Aharon (P). נקמת יותם Nikmat Yotam Yotam’s Vengeance. Zemorah-Bitan,, 2003. 127 pp. In Hebrew library name stamped on fore edge. Very Good-. Hardcover .
Classical translator and his descent into madness (271979) $15.00
72. The merit of our mothers a bilingual anthology of Jewish women’s Prayers. HUC, 1992. 148 pp. pen inscription quite touching on title page. Good +. Paperback. (272058) $12.00
73. Mittelman Karen. Creating American Jews: Historical Conversations About Identity. NMAJH, 1988. 88 pp exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Articles include “The Revolution on the American Synagogue,” Jonathan D. Sarna, “Pioneering: Jewish Men and Women of the American West,” William Toll, “Promises, Promises: The Jewish Roamnce with America,” Jenna Weissman Joselit, “Jewish Identity, Assimilation and Multiculturalism,” David A. Hollinger. (273098) $7.00
74. Modona Leonello. Degli incunaboli e di alcune edizioni ebraiche rare o pregevoli nella Biblioteca della R. Universita di Bologna. Brescia: Stabilimento Tipo-Litogr. F. Apollonio , 1890. 15 pp.some scotch taped pages pages yellowed but not brittle some slight tears slight library marks. Good. library binding. (272866) $25.00
75. Mott Frank. Profile: The Columbus Jewish Community 1990 Jewish Population Study of Greater Columbus. Columbus Jewish Federation, 1990. 175 pp. library number taped to spine and slight library stamp on fep. Good. Wrapper. (272066) $25.00
76. Munk S. Palestine; Description Geographique Historique et Archaeologique. Paris: Didot, 1845. 704 pages 68 steel plates and four maps;ex library with pocket, library stamps, raised bands double column text important historical study of Palestine plates in good condition quarter leather marbled boards chips to the leather spine and corners some wear to leather . Good. Boards. (272134) $100.00
77. (Music) Barash Morris. marriage service for cantor, choir and organ. transcontinental music, 1971. 19 pp. corners creased. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272073) $25.00
78. (Music) Binder A W. New Palestinean Folk Songs Book II: Noted, Collected, Edited and Arranged By Abraham Wolf Binder. Bloch, 1933. 30 pp, slight library mark on tp corners creased. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (272012) $25.00
79. (Music) Castelnuovo-Tedesco Mario. My Betrothed; from Songs and Processionals for a Jewish Wedding. mills, 1951. 4 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272076) $12.00
80. (Music) Castelnuovo-Tedesco Mario. Seal My Heart; from Songs and Processionals for a Jewish Wedding. mills, 1951. 5 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272077) $15.00
81. (Music) Coopersmith Harry compiler. Hanukkah Choral Book. Jewish Education Committee, 1940. 27 pp. with library markings. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272009) $15.00
82. (Music) Ephros, Gershon. Cantorial Anthology of Traditional and Modern Synagogue Volume 4 Shabbat. NY: Bloch, 1953. 355 pp.slight library marks. Good. Hardcover . (272195) $18.00
83. (Music) Halpern Max. Z’miroth ut’filoth yisroel : a synagogue hymnal for Sabbath and festivals. Comprising songs for religious schools and junior services. Boston Music Co, 1915. 140 pp. 161 hymns pp. two pages have rips down middle, title written on taped spine in white,base of spine bumped. Good-. Hardcover . (272082) $25.00
84. (Music) Hoffman Ben Zion composed by. Synagogal music Part 1; contains 45 musical compositions Sabbath Prayers. London: Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations, 1930s. 46 pp.ex library spine repaired. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
On completion of 25 yeasrs of devoted service to Adath Yisroel Synagogue London (272094) $42.00
85. (Music) Idelsohn A Z. Torat ha-neginah. Helek rishon. Yesodot ha-neginah ha-Eropeʼit ṿeha-mizarhit : ʻim 11 luhot … Makhon Shirat Yisraʼel,, 1910. 51 pp. music and charts taped spine. Good +. Boards.
The Theory of Music: Part One; The basics of European and Eastern music: with eleven tables (272023) $85.00
86. (Music) Nathanson Moshe Cantor SAJ. Shireynu A selection of Hebrew Songs and Chants Old and New Religious and Secular. Hebrew Publishing, 1939. 88 pp.ex library with pocket. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272008) $15.00
87. (Music). Shiron Young Judaea songster. New England Zionist Youth Commission, 1953. 61 pp. library pocket. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272018) $24.00
88. (Music)Delakova, Katya and Fred Berk. Jewish Folk Dance Book. New York: National Jewish Welfare Board, 1948. Ex-library with tape on spine. cover disbound 45 pp. Good. spiral bound.
Sheet music and choreography. Songs in English and Hebrew (transliterated.) (272013) $15.00
89. Neusner Jacob. Judaism and Christianity in the Age of Constantine: History, Messiah, Israel, and the Initial Confrontation ). Chicago Studies in the History of Judaism, 1097. 246 pp. library markings on fore edge. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (271964) $15.00
90. Obermayer Leon chairman (P). Accounting Professors talk A study of discrimination in the employmentof Jewish graduates of Accounting School. B’na B’rith Vocational service bureau, 1948. about 25 pages. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271943) $17.00
91. Parik Arno (editor). Prague Synagogues. Prague: Jewish Museum Prague, 1986. 117 pp. In Czech English and German filled with color illustrations. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272187) $15.00
92. Pat Yakov (Jacob). Shlemo’ los Halom Kinder Afara(?) Drei Bilder. Israel: Kultur Liege , 1920. In three parts a play in Yidddish 18 pp. in Yiddish then 10 pp. with songs in Yiddish Music by Portnoy library pocket and tape on spine fragile paper quality of songs is britle. Fair. Stiff Wrapper. (272015) $36.00
93. Persky Daniel inscribed by. Le-Elef Yedidim. Vaad Ha-Yuval, 1935. 96 pp. In Hebrew covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (272051) $20.00
94. Plato; Zevi Diesendruck translator (P). Gorgias : o ʻal ha-dabranut. Berlin: Stybel, 1928. 128 pp.In Hebrew library markings and on fore edge. Good. Boards. (271974) $25.00
95. Porter Barbara inscribed by. Symbols of power : figurative aspects of Esarhaddon’s Babylonian policy (681-669 B.C.). UMI, 1987. 421 pp. Thesis dissertation . Very Good-. Paperback. (272080) $17.00
96. Preil Gabriel inscribed by. Ner mul kokabim. Bialik, 1954. 103 pp. ex library with book plate and pocket In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover . (272817) $45.00
97. Preil Gabriel . Ha-Esh veha-Demamah: Shirim/ The Fire and the Silence. Agudat Ha-Sifrim be-Yisrael le-yad Hotsaat Masada,, 1968. 119 pp. ex library with book plate and pocket In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover . (272819) $15.00
98. Rabinovich, Isaiah. Ha-Siporet ha-`Ivrit mehapeset gibor Kivunim be-hitpathutah shel ha-siporet ha-`Ivrit ha-modernit. (The Hebrew fiction in search of a Hero). Massadah, 1967. 178 pp. in Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (272115) $10.00
99. Rabinowitz, Rabbi Samuel. Ozar Hadrush V’hahatapha: An Encyclopedia of Jewish Homiletics. No. 5, 9-12. Rabinowitz, Rabbi Samuel, 1918. Number 5 70-84 pp. Number 9-12 133-196 pp.bound together, ex library with book plate In Hebrew and Yiddish. Good. Boards. (272225) $30.00
100. Rauch, Maurice (P). Yidish iz Mayn Lid (My Song is Yiddish). Zlhitlowsky Foundation and its affiliate the Jewish Music Alliance, 1986. 117 pp. covers creased slight staining library name stamped of fore edge. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
includes Yidish iz mayn loshn / Zishe Ṿaynper — Der ṭrern milyoner / Moris Rozenfeld –Shifrahles portreṭ Mordekhai Gebirṭig — Am Yiśroel ḥai / Yuri Sul — Mayn fon / Mosheh Olgin –Ikh un di ṿelṭ / Avraham Reyzen – Der Feṭer Itse/ Mosheh Ḳulbaḳ –Di balade fun mayn Yidishn loshn / Ḥayim Grade — Ṭaykhn / Itsiḳ Fefer — (271817) $95.00
101. Reinharz Shulamit (chair). Voices for Change: Future Directions for American Jewish Women. Waltham: National Commission on American Jewish Women, 1995. 136 pp. + 24 pp. slight library mark and book plate. Very Good. Paperback.
Call to action, recommendations and papers (271844) $35.00
102. Rosenberg Shalom (P). לוגיקה ואונטולוגיה בפילוסופיה היהודית במאה הי״ד /; Logic and ontology in Jewish philosophy in the 14th century Volume 1. Hebrew University, 1973. 305 pp. In Hebrew supervised by Shlomo Pines. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (271927) $36.00
103. Rosoff-Usieli; Ester. משק הבית / Mesheḳ ha-bayit. ha-Histadrut ha-ʻolamit le-nashim Tsiyoniyot,, 1927. 32 pp. ex library with pocket. Good. Hardcover . (272815) $25.00
104. Rubin Rachel. Jewish Gangsters of Modern Literature. Illinois, 2000. 189 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (273075) $15.00
105. Rubinstein H F. Hated Servants. Gollancz, 1944. 179 pp. dj worn and torn “These are eight independent one-act plays, tracing the origin and development of Christianity as a Jewish sect .” from the cover. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Plays include Rahab of Jericho.–Helen of Alexandria.–Ohad’s woman.–Chosen people.–First Corinthians.–Holyest erth.–All things are possible.–Farewell, Jerusalem. (273052) $18.00
106. Samuelson Myron (editor). Ohavi Zedek Synagogue Dedication Journal 1952 5712. Burlington Vermont : OZS, 1952. Twenty pages of text which includes history of the shul, pictures of the students and officers and then fifty pages of support advertisements. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (273096) $15.00
107. Schorsch Ismar. The sacred cluster : the core values of Conservative Judaism. JTS, 1995. 14 pp. book plate and library mark tp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272126) $18.00
108. Schulz, Max. Radical Sophistication: Studies in Contemporary Jewish American Novelists. Athens: Ohio State Univ. Press, 1969. 224 pp. Very Good. Cloth.
Includes Nathaniel West, Bernard Malamud, Norman Mailer, Saul Bellow, Edward Wallant. (273185) $10.00
109. Schwarzfuchs Simon . L’organisation de la communaute israelite de France : commemoration du cent-cinquantenaire de la création des consistoires israelites par Napoleon. Archives Nationales, 1959. 23 pp. slight library marks. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272868) $23.00
110. Serrano R P Luciano (P). Los conversos Pablo de Santa María y Alfonso de Cartagena, obispos de Burgos, gobernantes, diplomáticos y escritores. Madrid: Escuela Estudios Hebraicos,, 1942. 331 pp. pen underlined, pen note in margin, slight tear to crown of spine, cover creased . Good. Paperback. (271912) $45.00
111. Shabtay Aharon. Gabriel Preil a selection of his poems and a s tudy of his poetry. Machbaroth Leshira, 1965. 29 pp. In Hebrew ex library with pocket. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (272816) $20.00
112. Shamosh Amnon inscribed by . My Sister the Bride: Stories. Massada`, 1979. 192 pp. collection of stories tape at base of spine. Good +. Hardcover . (272196) $17.00
113. Sherman Joseph. The Jewish Pope: Myth, Diaspora and Yiddish Literature (Studies in Yiddish, 4). European Humanities Research Centre,, 2003. 201 pp. library stamp on fore edge. Good +. Paperback. (271959) $15.00
114. Shlomo ibn Melekh. ספר מכלל יופי : הופיע אור התורה להבנת הנקרא בכלל Sefer Mikhlol yofi : hofiʻa or ha-Torah le-havanat ha-niḳra bikhlal; Lexicon of words with their Biblical roots; with glosses of Jacob Abendana. Amsterdam: David Tartas, 1664. 3rd edition. (1st ed. Constantinople, 1549; 2nd ed. Amsterdam, 1660.) bears the seal of “Beit ha-Midrash / Kloiz [=Klaus], Altona (Added t.p. in Latin, with Hebrew heading and date given as “Anno à Mundi condito 5445 [sic].” Front matter includes approbations by Buxtorff and four Leiden professors (1660), and a Latin dedication to “DD. ordinibus generalibus Foederati Belgii” (see Fuks for details). Foliation in Hebrew characters. Woodcut title page border. Last leaf erroneously numbered 120.) (Worldcat) Good. Boards.
Ya‘akov Emden tells about the kloyz that his father established in Altona in about 1690. He writes: “[T]here in Altona he built for Him, may He be praised, a faithful house and established in it a great house of study, a kloyz . . . and scholars and distinguished rabbis gathered there from the land of Poland and Lithuania, who would study Torah there with great diligence. Day and night they did not cease” (Megilat Sefer, ed. Avraham Bik [Jerusalem, 1979], p. 29). The term first appeared in Ashkenazic culture in the sixteenth century and referred to a house where scholars assembled—a place of study intended for mature, adult male scholars.YIVO Encyclopedia (274649) $975.00
115. Shmeruk, Chone. Sholem Aleikhem His Life and Literary work (A Guide). Tel Aviv: Porter Institute, 1980. 92 pp. In Hebrew covers worn. Very Good. cloth.
Literature, Meaning, Culture 11 (272102) $15.00
116. Silman Kadisch Jehuda. Lekhu neranenah : ḳovets shire-ʻam ketuvim be-yad….shivʻim shire-ʻam mi-shirat ha-golah ṿe-Erets-Yisra’el. Jerusalem: self, 1928. 80 pp. songs and music new covers, covers repaired and dog eared pages . Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Hebrew writer and satirist. Silman taught in Vilna’s first Hebrew school in which Hebrew was the language of instruction, and later directed a “modern ḥeder” in Gomel. In 1907 he immigrated to Palestine and devoted his life to teaching, mostly in Jerusalem. He was one of the founders of Tel Aviv and of the neighborhood of Bet ha-Kerem in Jerusalem. Important contributions to the fields of popular ballads, poetry, satire, and humor. (EJ). (272257) $75.00
117. Slonimski Chaim Selig. מציאות הנפש : וקיומה חוץ לגוף … מאת חיים זעליג סלאנימסקי Metsiʼut ha-nefesh : ṿe-ḳiyumah huts la-guf … Warsaw: Bomberg, 1858. 48 pp. with library markings bookplate. Good. Boards. (272001) $36.00
118. Sluys, David Mozes. De Maccabaeorum libris I et II quaestiones. J. Clausen, 1904. 126 pp. top corners creased ex library with markings, taped spine , in Latin and Greek. Good. Boards. (272274) $17.00
119. Special List of Books in Medieval Hebrew Poetry and Liturgy. Davidson Library of Judaica. Davidson Library College City of NY, 1948. 34 pp. ex library with markings, Good. Boards.
Professor of Medieval Hebrew Literature at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America from 1915 to 1939, was recognized as one of the world’s foremost scholars in the field of medieval Hebrew poetry. His private library was presented to his alma mater. (272271) $65.00
120. Stowe Harriet P has Haithi Trust. Onkel Tom’s Kebin oder di Shvartse Shklaven in Amerike/ Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Hebrew Publishing , 1911. 514 pp. translated into Yiddish, covers and spine worn and discolored, some fraying to covers, slight staining. Good-. Hardcover . (266819) $55.00
121. Stowe Harriet. Onkel Tom’s Kebin Uncle Tom’s Cabin. 1903. 432 pp. translated into Hebrew, ex library with book plate and pocket , white writing on spine reading copy. Good-. Hardcover . (272135) $25.00
122. Tal Penina. Medicinal Plants צמחי מרפא / Tsimḥe marpe. Rishamim, 1981. 232 pp. In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (272976) $16.00
123. The Pedagogic Reporter A Forum for Jewish Education. Home and School. Jewish Education Service, Nov 1988. Vol 39 no 3 45 pp. filled with articles. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271900) $20.00
124. Tobias Thomas. The Hebrew Orphan Society of Charleston, S.C. (founded 1801 An historical sketch. The society, 1957. 61 pp. ex library with pocket. Good. Hardcover . (272139) $15.00
125. Toury Jacob. Kavim le-ḥeker kenisat ha-Yehudim la-hayim ha-ezraḥiyim be-Germanyah = Prolegomena to the entrance of Jews into German citizenry. ha-Makhon le-ḥeḳer ha-tefutsot, 1972. Volume 1 151 pp. library name on fore edge. Good. Hardcover . (271870) $25.00
126. (Ulman Hirsch). Sefer Chochmat HaShorashim Vehea Chochma HaRishon Arbaah Chamoth HaMekalim et homat mah Sheahar…Chochmat Hashorashim Chomat HaOlam Chochmat Hnefesh VeChochmat HaElohot. Hague/ Amsterdam: J H Munnikhuizen, 1781. 231 pp. boards worn fore edge stained with some bleeding over edges not affecting text , faded library stamp tp . Good. Boards.
Nidpas poh qa’q Hag ha-birah samuk le-qa;q (272185) $135.00
127. Vajda Georges. Recherches sur la philosophie et la Kabbale dans la pensee juive du Moyen age. Mouton, 1962. 420 pp. slight library mark on tp and also fore edge. Good. Paperback. (271819) $38.00
128. Viajes de Benjamin de Tudela, 1160-1173, por primera vez traducidos al castellano con introducción, aparato crítico y anotaciones, por Ignacio Gonzalez Llubera. Madrid: Sanz Calleja, 1918. book plate and pocket , lacks part of spineand white title on spine paper yellowing and fragile but not brittle yet. Good-. Hardcover . (272132) $45.00
129. Vredenburg I translator. Siddur `Oneg Shabbat.} Sjabbos-Tefillo genaamd `Ngouneg Sjabbos’ bevattende alle gewone gebeden voor Sjabbos, t.w. van vrijdagmiddag tot en met zaterdagavond, met woordelijke vertaling en aanteekeningen door Izak Vredenburg (met illustraties). Uitgegeven door de `Centrale Organisatie tot de Religieuse en Moreele Verheffing der Joden in Nederland’. Mozes, 1933. 256 pp. hinges started needs binding. Good-. Hardcover . (272830) $30.00
130. Walden Daniel editor. Studies in American Jewish Literature Volume 6 The World of Cynthia Ozick. Kent state, 1987. 180 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (273182) $23.00
131. Weir, Shelagh. Palestinian Embroidery. British Museum, 1970. 45 pp. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (272181) $15.00
132. Wilensky Yalan-Stekelis, Miriam. Shir ha-gedi. Shirim ve-Sipurim. Sefer Rishon. Shir ha-gedi. Dvir, 1986. 151 pp. slight library marks. Very Good. Hardcover . (272814) $17.00
133. Wineman Aryeh. The Hasidic Moses: A Chapter in the History of Jewish Interpretation. Pickwick, 2019. 137 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (272812) $14.00
134. Wolf Lucien. Report on the “Marranos” or Crypto Jews of Portugal. Geneve: Anglo Jewish Assn, 1926. 20 pp. inumber stamped on tp stapled wrapper. Good. Wrapper. (272901) $17.00
135. Yitsḥaḳ ben Shelomoh Farhi . Sefer Matok ̣ mi-devash. Vilna: 1860. 104 pp.library binding some stains paper good quality. Good. Hardcover . (272052) $50.00
136. Zangwill, Israel. The Melting Pot: Drama in Four Acts. NY: Macmillan, 1909. 12mo 200 pp. wear to crown and base of spine. Good condition. Cloth.
Origin of the concept of the melting pot of immigrants. (273180) $15.00
137. Zylbercweig Zalme (P). Achad Haam un sein batziung zu yiddish. “Achad Haam and his attitude towards Yiddish. Eliseva, 1956. 141 pp. appears to be inscribed library name stamped on fore edge In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (271871) $36.00
Thank you for reviewing the catalog, and your continued support.