1. Aczel Tamas (inscribed). Illuminations; a novel. NY: Pantheon, 1981. inscribed by author. Hungarian survivor of the Nazis and the Communists and his epic journey dj worn. Good condition. Hardback & DJ. Story of Dr George Feldheimer, dentist and boulevardier, formerly of Budapest, presently of London, is a man under perpetual suspicion. Arrested by the Hungarian secret police, a survivor of Nazi concentration camps, fascist torture and Communist Party purges, he flees Hungary for England, where he is promptly interrogated. (258283) $35.00
2. Adam Thomas hrsg. Oppenheimer – Eine judische Familie aus Bruchsal: Spuren – Geschichten – Begegnungen. Verlag regional kultur, 2012. 322 pp. In German Many essays on the family and their connection to Bruchsal and their fate during the Shoah and the visits after the War. Very Good. Hardcover . (269828) $32.00
3. Adelsberger Lucie. Auschwitz: Ein Tatsachenbericht. Das Vermachtnis der Opfer fur uns Juden und fur alle Menschen. Berlin: Lettner, 1956. 173 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Jewish Doctor who survived Auschwitz. Worked treating Gypsies in the Camp. (269835) $26.00
4. Adler, H.G., Langbein, Hermann, Lingens-Reiner, Ella. Auschwitz: Zeugnisse und Berichte. Frankfurt: Athenaum, 1962. 420 pp. Good +. Paperback. (269799) $7.00
5. Bierling Tino editor. Edward Kleinholz The Pawn Boys. Berlinische Gallery, 1986. 35 pp.In German pen notes last pagefilled with , images of Nazi soldiers with families . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269748) $25.00
6. Bloch, Chajim. Das Judische Amerika: Wahrnehmungen und Betrachtungen. Wien: Das Leben, 1926. 120 pp. Interesting observations of American Jewry, Very Good. Cloth. (269833) $22.00
7. Botz Gerhard. Nationalsozialmus in Wien Machtubernahme und Herrschaftsssicherung 1938/39. Obermayer, 1988. 592 pp. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269785) $20.00
8. Bruchfeld, Stephane. Tell ye your children…a book about the Holocaust in Europe 1933-1945. Regieringskansliet: Levande Historia, 1998. oblong 8vo 80 pp. slight library markings. Very Good. wrapper. Published by Swedish Government (270048) $10.00
9. Cohn Ruth C. …inmitten aller Sterne. NYC: Privately printed, 1949. First Edition. 24 pp. linen boards have some foxing, Limited edition No 115 Vorworte von Frederick Paulsen zu Ruth Cohn Gedichten,First part is Berlin und Zurich 1933-1940 poems about the War and thoughts…… “When Hitler came to power in 1933, after disturbing and frightening experiences with National Socialism she fled to Zurich, Switzerland, where she studied psychology and minored in pre-clinical medicine and psychiatrics at the University. In addition, she studied education, theology, literature and philosophy. From 1934 to 1939, she was also trained as a psychoanalyst at the International Society for Psychoanalysis. In 1936, she — like all German Jews living in foreign countries — lost her German citizenship. In 1938, she married Hans-Helmut Cohn, a medical student of German-Jewish heritage.” Wikipedia Came to the USA in 1940 was important educator and psychotherapist. Good. linen boards. Sternfeld Deutsche Exil Literatur page 55 (269823) $100.00
10. Der Poilisher Id Nummer 8-9. Rio Brazil: Central Committe Polish Jews in Brazil, 1958. 496 pp.In Yiddish, cover boards worn and stained, articles essays on the Shoah including B Mark on the Extermination and Resistance of the Jews in Poland 1939/44, Anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising, Articles on Israel, Jewish life in Brazil. Good-. Boards. (266818) $100.00
11. Deutsch, Julius. De Burgeroorlog in Oostenryk: Beschrijving door mede-strijders en ooggetuogen. Amsterdam: De Arbeiderspers, 1934. Slight library marks. embossed stamp tp 12mo 79 pp.cover bent and chipped. Good condition. wrapper. Julius Deutsch founded the “Schutzbund” in 1923 as an answer to the paramilitary organization “Heimwehr” (Home Guard), which was ideologically related to the Christian Social Party. He remained its leader until its destruction in 1934. (258378) $30.00
12. Dorner Bernwald. Die Deutschen und der Holocaust Was niemand wissen wollte, aber jeder wissen konnte. Propylaen, 2007. 891 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269784) $20.00
13. Fine David. Jewish Integration in the German Army in the First World War (New Perspectives on Modern Jewish History). De Gruyter, 2012. 180 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269843) $65.00
14. Hamburger, Ernst. Juden im offentlichen Leben Deutschlands; Regierungsmitglieder, Beamte und Parlamentarier in der monarchischen Zeit: 1848-1918. Tubingen: Mohr, 1968. 595 pp. slight white marks at bottom of cover. Good +. Hardcover . (269841) $25.00
15. Hazan, Souzana. “…dieser schonen Welt Lebewohl sagen” = “..say farewell to this beautiful world” : Der Weg der Familie Sturm aus Augsburg = The Sturm family of Augsburg / Augsburg: :Judisches Kulturmuseum, 2010. 87 pp. on the family in Augsburg and the Shoah. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269816) $30.00
16. Hoffmann Prof Heinrich (hrsg). Jugend Um Hitler 120 Bilddokumente Aus Der Umgebung Des Fuhrers; Gelietwort Baldur von Schirach. Munchen: Hoffmann, 1935. 211 bis 260 tausend. 96 pp. Propaganda extolling Hitler with pictures of children admiring Hitler, with Heil Hitlers, and images of Aryan youth Hitler as the “father” of the German children under his care. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (269820) $135.00
17. James Harold. The Deutsche Bank and the Nazi Economic War Against the Jews The Expropriation of Jewish Owned Property. NY: Cambridge UP, 2001. 262 pp. new. Hardcover . (269741) $15.00
18. Jansen John Weyl Stefan. Silent War the Underground Movement in Germany. Lippincott, 1943. 357 pp. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Written by anti Nazi activists who were able to leave Germany and involved in the movement (269732) $25.00
19. Jasper Willi. Hotel Lutetia. Ein deutsches Exil in Paris. Hanser, 1994. 390 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Novel based on residents of hotel including Munzenberg Ulbrict Heinrich Mann Ernst Junger (266924) $15.00
20. Kohlbauer-Fritz, Gabriele hrsg. In a Schtodt woss starbt: In einer Stadt, die stirbt- Jiddische Lyrik aus Wien. Picus, 1995. 194 pp. with intro chapter on Yiddish Culture in Vienna, German translation and some of the original Yiddish poems. Very Good. Hardcover . (269860) $48.00
21. Korner Edmund (erbauerer) Klapheck Richard (text). Die Synagoge in Essen….Faksimile Ausgabe. Essen: Gesellschaft fur christlich-judische Zusammenarbeit, 1980. facsimile of 1914 edition 104 pp. filled with illustrations and architectural plans, in a box. Very Good. Hardcover . (269861) $36.00
22. Kracauer Siegfried. Das Ornament der Masse. Suhrkamp, 1963. 331 pp. Very Good-. Paperback. Refugee writer influenced Adorno (269834) $15.00
23. Kuntz Dieter editor Bachrach Susan project director. Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race. USHMM, 2004. 226 pp.filled with images and text coffee table sized book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269824) $25.00
24. Lamm Hans (hrsg). Vergangene Tage: Judische Kultur in Munchen. Muller, 1982. 551 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Numerous contributors includes material on the Shoah (269829) $20.00
25. Leschnitzer, Adolf. Faust und Moses. American Imago. Offprint volume 6 no 4 pp.1-17, taped spine . library markings, inscribed by author. good. Stiff Wrapper. By the aurthor of The Magic Background of Modern Anti-Semitism, (269851) $20.00
26. Leschnitzer, Adolf. The Magic Background of Modern Anti-Semitism: An analysis of the German Jewish Relationship. NY: IUP, 1956. 236 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269839) $17.00
27. Mollenhoff, Gisela. Judische Familien in Muenster 1918 bis 1945. Westfaelisches Dampfboot, , 1995, 1998, 2001. Teil 2, 1-2 (269814) $65.00
28. Moses John. Trade Unionism in Germany from Bismarck to Hitler 1869-1918 and Vol.2 1919-1933. London: Prior, 1982. 560 pp. two volumes. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (258482) $26.00
29. Orlowski Slawomir. Erich Koch Przed Polskim Sadem. Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Ministerstwa Obrony Narodowej, 1959. 291 pp. library marked with taped number on spine tears to covers. Good. Stiff Wrapper. was a Gauleiter of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) in East Prussia from 1928 until 1945. Between 1941 and 1945 he was the Chief of Civil Administration (Chef der Zivilverwaltung) of Bezirk Bialystok. During this period, he was also the Reichskommissar in Reichskommissariat Ukraine from 1941 until 1943. After the war, Koch stood trial in Poland and was convicted in 1959 of war crimes and sentenced to death. (258263) $25.00
30. Pabel Hilmar. Jahre unseres Lebens. Deutsche Schicksalsjahre. Stuttgart: Constantine, 1954. 125 pp. photos and text of the War and the devestation from the German point of view, with German refugess after the War and eturning soldiers and images from the Nazi period also. Very Good. Hardcover . (269832) $32.00
31. Pressac, Jean-Claude. Die Krematorien von Auschwitz: Die Technik des Massenmordes. Mit einem Einführungstext: Von der Entfernung zur Vernichtung oder Wir standen in der Pflicht, gegenüber der SS, der Firma Topf und dem NS-Staat, von Ernst Piper. Piper, 1995. 212 pp. In German extensive research by the author of the monumental work Auschwitz: Technique and Operation of the Gas Chambers. Very Good. Paperback. (269791) $20.00
32. Reder, Rudolf. Belzec. Krakow: Central Jewish Hist Comm, 1946. 65 pp.lower corners creased, tear to top edge, spine worn library markings . good. wrapper. Survivor memoir. In Polish with six photos (269870) $36.00
33. Refugee Relief Act of 1953 Five Semi Annual Reports and the Final Report of the Administrator of the Refugee Relief Act of 1953 as amended. USGPO, 1954-1958. about 225 pages, six reports , enclosed in wrapper which has title and number on the spine. Good. Wrapper. (269729) $68.00
34. Research Staff Of The Commission On European Jewish Cultural Reconstruction. Tentative List of Jewish Periodicals Axis Occupied Countries. Jewish Social Studies Supplement, 1947. 94 pp taped spine, library markings . Good. Wrapper. Vol IX No 3 Important document detailing the periodicals by town published in Introduction by Salo Baron, Hannah Arendt was head of the Research Staff (269810) $50.00
35. Robinson, Jacob. And the Crooked Shall be Made Straight. N.Y.: Macmillan Co., 1965. Eichmann Trial 406 pp.with the compliments of the author. good. Hardcover . (269848) $10.00
36. Rosner Jacob (photographs by). A Palestine Picture Book. NY: Schocken Books, 1947. 141 pp. good cover slight stains. cloth. Rosner did work for the Jewish National Fund, work is a cross section of Jewish life in Palestine,includes refugees (269856) $20.00
37. Roth Martin (hrsg). In aller Munde. Einhundert Jahre Odol. Deutsche Hygiene-Museum/Cantz, 1993. 228 pp.In German Karl Lingner founded the antiseptic mouthwatch and became wealthy,.. By dealing with the disinfection of his time Lingner came to the study of social hygiene literature. He recognized the existing ignorance of the population in terms of the emergence and spread of diseases and subsequently used a large part of his millions of dollars for public health education and to support charitable institutions. Here, in particular, the exhibition of widespread diseases and their control in 1903 and the first International Hygiene Exhibition Dresden 1911 highlighted. The latter reached the dimension and recognition of a world fair for health with more than 5 million visitors. The exhibition methodology developed by Lingner makes him a pioneer of modern hygienic public education.(Wikipedia) Includes the 1930s and National Socialism. Very Good. Hardcover . (269822) $36.00
38. Rulf, Schlomo,(introduction). Paul Lazarus Gedenkbuch: Beitrage zur Wurdigung der Letzten Rabbinergeneration in Deutschland. Jerusalem: Jerusalem Post, 1961. In German and English. 160 pp. good. Hardback & DJ..includes essays on N A Nobel, Franz Rosenzweig, recollections of the work of Lazarus in Germany and Israel 20 essays (269760) $20.00
39. Sachs Nelly. Fahrt in Staublose Gedichte der Nelly Schs. Suhrkamp, 1962. 386 pp. Collection of her poetry many poemws concerning her experiences during the Shoah, wote O the Cimneys winner of Nobel Prize. Very Good. Hardcover . (269838) $25.00
40. Sachs Nelly. Zeichen im Sand Die szenischen Dichtungen der Nelly Sachs. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp Verlag, 1962. 354 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Poems and plays dealing with the Shoah and Jewish life. (269847) $30.00
41. Sauerbruch Ferdinand 1875-1951. Das war mein Leben. Kindler, 1951. 639 pp. said to be filled with falsifications. Good. Hardcover .
Sauerbruch position towards the Nazi government is ambiguous and the subject of debate. In his position he was clearly in contact with the political elite but he was never a member of and did not support the political objectives of the NSDAP. He was, however, a fervent nationalist who wanted to undo the “humiliation of Versailles” and was keen to show off his country as an advanced and sophisticated society. While he had accepted the German Nationalpreis, a short-lived German alternative to the Nobel Prize, he also publicly spoke out for people who were prosecuted (e.g. Liebermann). He was part of the so-called Mittwochgesellschaft, a group of scientists that included critical voices and was later arrested because his son Peter had ties to Claus von Stauffenberg. (wikipedia)In 1937, he became a member of the newly established Reichsforschungsrat (Reich Research Council) that supported “research projects” of the SS, including experiments on prisoners in the concentration camps. As head of the General Medicine Branch of the RRC, he personally approved the funds which financed August Hirts experiments with mustard gas on prisoners at Natzweiler concentration camp from 1941 until 1944. However he was one of the few University professors who publicly spoke out against the NS-Euthanasia program T4. In 1942, he became Surgeon General to the army. In mid-September 1943, Sauerbruch was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords. On 12 October 1945, he was charged by the Allies for having contributed to the Nazi dictatorship, but not convicted for lack of evidence.[ (269840) $20.00
42. Schneider Christian. Das Erbe der Napola: Versuch einer Generationengeschichte des Nationalsozialismus. Hamburger, 1996. 394 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269806) $20.00
43. Schroter Manfred. Das Schicksal der Nordhauser Juden 1933 bis 1945: Uberarbeitete und erganzte Neuauflage. Steffen, 2013. 191 pp. + 40 pp. of names of Jewish residents and their fates. Very Good. Hardcover . (269865) $40.00
44. Sehn, Dr. Jan. Konzentrationslager Oswiecim-Brezinka: Auf Grund von Dokumenten und Beweisquellen. Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Prawnicze, 1957. 195 pp. covers worn, pen writing on cover,, hinges repaired. good bent cover. wrapper. (Zentralkommission zur Untersuchung der Naziverbrechen in Polen). (258252) $25.00
45. “Sie gaben uns wieder Hoffnung” : Schwangerschaft und Geburt im KZ-Aussenlager Kaufering I. KZ-Gedenkstatte Dachau, 2010. 52 pp. oblong 8vo. cover slightly bent . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269809) $30.00
46. Simon Ernst (Inscribed by). Martin Buber und das deutsche Judentm. Stuttgart: 1963. Offprint from Sammelbuch “Juden in Deutschland” pp. 27-84 ex library with markings taped spine, worked with Buber on Lehrhaus and emigrated to Palestine . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269857) $32.00
47. Simon Ernst. Totalitat und Antitotatitarismus als Wesenszuge des Uberlieferten Judentums. Kosel, 196o?. 99-139 pp. sonderdruck Munchener Akademie Schriften, many library markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. worked with Buber on Lehrhaus and emigrated to Palestine (269837) $22.00
48. Slany William and Eizenstat. Stuart (appendix by Bradsher, Greg). U.S. and Allied Efforts to Recover and Restore Gold and Other Assets Stolen Or Hidden By Germany During World War II. Preliminary Study and Appendix (two volumes). Washington: Department of State, May 1997. 212+278 pp., Very Good + Good. Stiff Wrapper. Appendix: “Finding Aid to Records at the National Archives at College Park” (258265) $75.00
49. Smith John (pseudonymn). The Plot to Save Eichmann. Domino, 1961. 36 pp. slight library marks. Good +. Wrapper. The plot to not reveal to the world the devestation of Eichmann and the coverups and his ability to escape from Europe and survival in Argentina (269738) $36.00
50. Sneeringer Julia. Winning Women’s Votes: Propaganda & Politics in Weimar Germany. UNC, 2002. 364 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269743) $10.00
51. Staudinger Barbara. Von Bayern nach Erez Israel-Auf den Spuren judischer Volkskunst; From Bavaria to Eretz Israel Tracing Jewish Folk Art. Minerva, 2007. 63 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269114) $26.00
52. Stein Alexander. Adolf Hitler Schuler der “Weisen von Zion”. Karlsbad: Graphia, 1936. 120 pp. new covers slight library mark on fep, Exile press scarce item. Good. Wrapper. Sternfeld DEL pp. 479 (269863) $95.00
53. Talmi Ephraim editor. Kehilat Sherpts sefer zikaron. Tel Aviv: Ha Irgumim sel Yotse Sherpts be Yisrael, 1959. 603 pp. stains to end papers, slight wear to covers and spine. Good. Hardcover . (264911) $65.00
54. (Vilna) Ran Leyzer. Jerusalem of Lithuania / litovskij Ierusalim / Yerushalaim deLita Three volumes. Vilno Album Committee, 1974. 540 pages in two folio volumes, map included with volume 1,volume one hinges strengthened, crown and base of spine slightly bumped in both cloth volumes folio size, In English Hebrew Yiddish and Russian, introduction by Abraham Heschel and Ben Zion Dinur.volume 3 the paperback index and bibliography), sfep. Very Good. Hardcover . Two large volumes containing a documentation of Vilna’s Jewish community , its daily life, its institutions and its marvelous culture until the destruction of the Shoah..Material on the Shoah is included,.. Each of the volume contains hundreds of photographs, portraits and copies of historical documents. (269825) $225.00
55. Waldman, Morris. Nor By Power. NY: IUP, 1953. 473 pp Jacob Marcus copy. good. Hardcover .Important leader of the Am Jewish Committee, writes of his work between the wars and Palestine. Includes material on the Shoah (269731) $25.00
56. Wallenstein Abraham. Jews and Germanism. NY: Doran, 1918?. 14 pp.slight library marks. good. wrapper. Horrible conditions of Jews living under German control in Poland Baltics and Ukraine due to the War. (269739) $20.00
57. Winter Berthold. Schwierige Ruckkehr das Schicksal einer judischen Berliner Buchhandlerfamilie. Metropol, 2013. 239 pp.In German, fled Nazi Germany and returned after the War. Very Good. Hardcover . (269759) $20.00
58. Zorner G leitung von. Frauen-KZ Ravensbruck. Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, 1982. 200 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269800) $15.00
59. Shogan Robert. Prelude to Catastrophe: FDR’s Jews and the Menace of Nazism. Dee, 2010. 285 pp. Uncorrected proofs. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Brandeis Frankfurter Morgenthau etc. (269584) $12.00
60. Silver, Eric. The Book of the Just: The Unsung Heroes who Rescued Jews from Hitler. NY: Grove, 1992. 8vo 175 pp. Very Good in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (237748) $10.00
61. Snodgrass, W.D. The Fuhrer Bunker; A Cycle of Poems in Progress. BOA Editions, 1978. Second Printing. 71 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Poetry. “20 dramatic monologues (often in multi-dimensional voices) spoken by leading figures of the Nazi regime during the last days of the Third Reich.” (269571) $15.00
62. Stern Heinemann. Warum hassen sie uns eigentlich? Judisches Leben zwischen den Kriegen Errinerungen. Dusseldorf: Droste, 1970. 371 pages. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (229081) $20.00
63. Stettner Walter. Witness to a Changing World. University Editions, 1999. 466 pp. Very Good. Paperback. “A retired Foreign Service officer who sought refuge in this country from Hitler’s Austria, the author’s early life in Trieste and Vienna unfolded under the gathering storms clouds of the Great Depression and the rise of Fascism and Nazism. Arriving in the U.S. without funds but with a Doctor of Law degree, he received a refugee scholarship at Harvard and attained a Ph.D. in economics. Walter Stettner had a hand in numerous economic policies and projects, starting with the Employment Act of 1946 and going on to the Marshall Plan after WWII and the Council of Economic Advisers under Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy. Foreign aid assessments took him to Paris, the Far East, Turkey, Argentina, the Caribbean, Laos as Saigon fell, the African Continent and Pakistan. (from the blurb) (269561) $15.00
64. Stiffel Farnk. The Tale of the Ring:A Kaddish A personal memoir of the Holocaust. Pushcart 1984, 1984. 348 pages Heroic memoir and survival of Auschwitz. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (264691) $10.00
65. Strauss Herbert (editor). Conference on American-Jewish Dilemmas 1971. NY: Am Fed of Jews, 1971. 53 pp includes Henry Friedlander After the Catastrophe. good. pamphlet. Papers delivered at the fifth Lerntag of the American Federation of Jews from Central Europe. (269625) $10.00
66. Studia Judaica Austriaca Bd. V. Der Gelbe Stern in Osterreich; Katalog und Einfuhrung zu einer Dokumentation. Eisenstadt: Roetzer, 1977. 134 pp + photos. cover bent inscribed. Good. Wrapper. (269558) $20.00
67. Szep Erno. The Smell of Humans: A Memoir of the Holocaust in Hungary. Hungary: Corvina, 1985. Recaptures the events following the Nazi occupation of Humgary in 1944 and the forced marches and labor.Detailed and imaginativ 12mo 173 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255671) $20.00
68. Szmaglewska Seweryna. Dymy nad Birkenau. Ksiazka i Wiedza, 1985. 293 pp. dj foxed , In Polish. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
One of the earliest accounts of Birkenau published in 1947 as Smoke over Birkenau (267556) $18.00
69. Szpilman Wladyslaw. Pianista. Krakow: Znak, 2008. 212 pp. survivor memoir of the Shoah, made into a film with pictures included in the book, In Polish. Very Good. Paperback. (255922) $20.00
70. Tatz, Colin. With Intent to Destroy; Reflecting on Genocide. Verso, 2003. 222 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Study of genocides in Germany, Australia and South Africa. (264208) $9.00
71. Temchin , Michael, MD. The Witch Doctor: Memoirs of a Partisan. NY: Holocaust Library, 1983. 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Jewish medical doctor in the Resistance in Poland, worked miracles. (268332) $10.00
72. Teveth Shabtai. Ben-Gurion and the Holocaust. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1996. 310 pp, small sticker on dj. New in very good dust-jacket. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269595) $.0
73. Todorov, Tzvetan. facing the extreme: Moral Life in the Concentration Camps. NY: Holt, 1996. 306 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Vivid portrait of conduct of those who ran the camps and those who suffered the outrages. Examines acts of kindness and dignity (247105) $8.00
74. Tushnet, Leonard. The Uses of Adversity: Studies of Starvation in the Warsaw Ghetto. NY: Thomas Yoseloff, 1966. 1st. 108 pp. Very Good in good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (269610) $10.00
75. Um uns die Fremde. Die Vertreibung des Geistes 1933-1945, Haude und Spenersche, 1963. 84 pp. dj torn. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255894) $16.00
76. Utgaard Peter. Remembering and Forgetting Nazism; Education National Identity and the Victim Myth in Postwar Austria. Berghahn, 2003. 196 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
The myth of Austrian victimization at the hands of both Nazi Germany and the Allies became a unifying theme of Austrian official memory and a key component of national identity as a new Austria emerged from the ruins. In the 1980s, Austria’s myth of victimization came under intense scrutiny in the wake of the Waldheim scandal that marked the beginning of its erosion. The fiftieth anniversary of the Anschlus in 1988 accelerated this process and resulted in a collective shift away from the victim myth. Important themes examined include the rebirth of Austria, the Anschlus, the war and the Holocaust, the Austrian resistance, and the Allied occupation. The fragmentation of Austrian official memory since the late 1980s coincided with the dismantling of the Conservative and Social Democratic coalition, which had defined Austrian politics in the postwar period. Through the eyes of the Austrian school system, this book examines how postwar Austria came to terms with the Second World War (242965) $26.00
77. Weiss, John. Ideology of Death: Why the Holocaust Happened in Germany. Chicago: Ivan Dee, 1996. 427 pp. New in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ.
Posits that racist ideas ingrained in German culture led to the Holocaust, Traces culture of racism and Anti-Semitism (269594) $5.00
78. Werres, Peter. Children of the Holocaust: Comtemporary Writers of Jewish Descent in German Speaking Countries. West Virginia Univ. Press, 1991. Philosophical papers, supplementary volume 36 12mo 21 pp. Very Good. Wrappers. (269680) $25.00
79. Wieczorek Janusz chair of the council for the preservation. Scenes of Fighting and Martyrdom Guide War Years in Poland 1939 – 1945. Sport I Turystyka, 1968. 416 pp.+345 images of memorials includes two large maps in pocket. Good. Hardcover . (269569) $20.00
80. Wilhelm Hans-heinrich. Zwei legenden aus dem Dritten reich: Die Prognosen der Abteilung Fremde Heere Ost 1942-1945; Hat Felix Kersten das Niederlandische Volk gerettet? Stuttgart: DVA, 1974. 141 pp. good. Paperback. (269557) $18.00
81. Wilson Keith (editor). Forging the Collective Memory, Government and International Historians through Two World Wars. Berghahn, 2000. 300 pp .Nine essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (242967) $15.00
82. Young James. At Memory’s Edge: After Images of the Holocaust in Contemporary Art and Architecture. New Haven: Yale, April 2000. 256 pp.slight pen markings, foxing to top edge. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Explores Germany’s memorial crisis and how can contemporary artists remember the Holocaust, which they never knew. (269601) $8.00
83. Zandman, Feliz. Never the Last Journey. NY: Schocken, 1995. 427 pp. writing fep . good. Hardback & DJ.
Memoir of being hidden during the Holocaust in Poland and becoming a major electronics executive in the USA. (252155) $8.00
84. Zar, Rose. In the Mouth of the Wolf. Phil: JPS, 1992. 225 pp.dj creaesd. Very Good in Good DJ. Hardback & DJ.
Story of Rose Zar hiding from the Nazis and posing as an Aryan, working for the SS commandant of Krakow. (252160) $10.00
85. Zehfuss Maja. Wounds of Memory; The Politics of War in Germany. Cambridge, 2007. 204 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
German memories of the Second World War are controversial, and they are used to justify different positions on the use of military force. In this book, Maja Zehfuss studies the articulation of memories in novels in order to discuss and challenge arguments deployed in political and public debate. She explores memories that have generated considerable controversy, such as the flight and expulsion of Germans from the East, the bombing of German cities and the ‘liberation’ of Germany in 1945. She shows how memory retrospectively produces a past while claiming merely to invoke it, drawing attention to the complexities and contradictions within how truth, ethics, emotion, subjectivity and time are conceptualised. Zehfuss argues that the tensions and uncertainties revealed raise political questions that must be confronted, beyond the safety net of knowledge. This is a compelling book which pursues an original approach in exploring the politics of invocations of memory. (from the blurb) (245130) $25.00
86. Zertal, Edith. From Catastrophe to Power: Holocaust Survivors and the Emergence of Israel. Berkeley: Univ. of Calif, 1998. 345 pp. new in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (251162) $7.00
87. Zimmerman Joshua (editor). Contested Memories; Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and its Aftermath. New Brunswick: Rutgers, 1992. 324 pp., twenty two essays. Very good in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (269602) $10.00
88. Zuhlsdorff Volkmar. Hitler’s Exiles; The German Cultural Resistance in America and Europe. Continuum, 2005. 240 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
First hand account of the German Academy. Membership included the leading intellectuals who went into exile in opposition to the Nazi government. (255950) $10.00
89. Zweig Ronald. The Gold Train; The Destruction of the Jews and the Looting of Hungary. NY: Morrow, 2002. First edition. 311 pages. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
What became of the train carrying hundreds of millions of dollars worth of assets stolen from Jews (269600) $5.00