1. Algamil Dayan Yosef Ben Ovadia. Karaite Jewry in Egypt in Modern Times. Karaite Center, 1985. 342 pp.In Hebrew and English. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263588) $36.00
2. Almanakh: baytrog fun Idn tsu dem oyfboy fun Amerike: 10 yoriker yubiley fun Internatsyonaln arbeter ordn. : Kooperativer folks-farlag, Internatsyonaler arbeter ordn / Yiddish Cooperative Book League of the Jewish Section, IWO, New York, 1940, 1940. 585 half pages spine worn crown and base of spine bumped In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover . (263750) $45.00
3. Appelfeld Aharon. What is Jewish in Jewish Literature? The Max and Irene Engel Levy Memorial Lecture, March 31, 1992. Harvard University Press, 1992. 28 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (263669) $15.00
4. avron Dov. Acta Electorum – Communitatis Judaeorum Posnaniensium (1621-1835). Mekize Nirdamin, 1966. 479 pp. book plate. Very Good. Hardcover . (263532) $15.00
5. Bak Samuel. Painted in Words A Memoir. Boston: Paucker Gallery/Indiana Univ Press, 2001. 500 pp. filled with illustrations of his work. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Memoir by survivor artist of the Holocaust (260100) $15.00
6. Barnea A. Goral eḥad : ha-Yehudim dovre ha-Spanyolit ṿi-Yehude artsot ha-Islam bi-teḳufat ha-Shoʼah. Miśrad ha-biṭaḥon, 1986. 194 pp In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (263533) $25.00
7. Ben-Jacob, Abraham. Kehillot Yehudei Kurdistan Kurdistan Jewish Communities. zben Ziv Institute, 1961. 255pp. + map, In Hebrew, dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (256089) $45.00
8. Berkowitz David. In Remembrance of Creation; Evolution of Art and Scholarship in the Medieval and Renaissance Bible. Waltham: Brandeis UP, 1968. 211 pages beautiful work with numerous illustrations of the books magnificent. Good +. Cloth. (263757) $18.00
9. Berlin, Charles (ed.). Jewish Film and Jewish Studies. Harvard University Press, 1991. 68pp. conference proceedings. Very Good. Wrapper.
t (263646) $15.00
10. Beth Hatefutsoth. La Nacion: The Spanish and Portuguese Jews in the Caribbean. 1981. Nahum Goldman Museum exhibition catalog of photographs of Jewish archaeological remains in the Caribbean. Text in English and Hebrew. Uncommon. Very Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (263665) $10.00
11. Bialoblocki Samuel. Materialien zum islamischen und judischen Eherecht mit einer Enleitung uber judische Einflusse auf den Hadith. Topelmann, 1928. 54 pp. ex library with markings, taped title page. Good. library binding.
Arbeiten aus dem Orientalischen Seminar der Universität Gießen, 1.Heft. (260382) $18.00
12. Bickel, Shlomo. hreiber fun Mein Dor Writers of My Generation; Vol. 14. Farlag Matones, 1958. 416 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (263526) $15.00
13. Bohlman, Philip. ‘The Land Where Two Streams Flow’: Music in the German-Jewish Community of Israel. Urbana: Univ. of Illinois, 1989. 8vo 257 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Impact of the refugees on the musical heritage of Israel (263546) $9.00
14. Boulouque Clemence. Juives d’Afrique du Nord : Cartes postales (1885-1930) Collection de Gerard Silvain. Bleu, 2005. 137 pp. taped number on spine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263686) $37.00
15. Chevlowe Susan editor. Common Man, Mythic Vision: The Paintings of Ben Shahn. Princeton University Press, 1998. 195 pp. essays with pictures beautiful work. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (263732) $18.00
16. Chevlowe Susan (editor). The Jewish Identity Project: New American Photography (Jewish Museum). Yale, 2005. 215 pp. Exhibiton catalog and commentary. Very Good. Paperback.
Framing Jewishness : photography and the boundaries of community / Susan Chevlowe –Oy, are we a pluribus? Multiculturalism and American Jews / Ilan Stavans –Artist portfolios. Dawoud Bey ; Tirtza Even and Brian Karl ; Ranier Ganahl ; Nikki S. Lee ; Shari Rothfarb Mekonen and Avishai Mekonen ; Yoshua Okon ; Jaime Permuth ; Andrea Robbins and Max Becher ; Jessica Shokrian ; Chris Verene –Commissions and collaboration : the Jewish identity project behind the scenes / Joanna Lindenbaum. (263731) $10.00
17. Cohen-Mushlin, Aliza, edited by. Synagogenarchitektur in Deutschland Dokumentation zur Ausstellung. Michael Imhof, 2008. 272 pp. bottom corner bumped. Very Good. Hardcover . (263695) $135.00
18. Cohn Emil . Judischer Jugendkalender vierter Jahrgang. Judischer Verlag, 1934. 108 pp. lacks parts of the backstrip. Stories poems and plays with illustrations. Good. Boards. (263534) $115.00
19. Contemplations Dedicated Mordehai Martin Buberon the Occasion of his Eightieth Birthday. Magnes, 1958. 124 pp. dj torn, In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263907) $15.00
20. Cooperman, Bernard Dov. Realities and Dreams; Images of the World in Israeli Children’s Literature. Harvard University Library, 1983. 30pp. Wonderful lecture with plentiful illustrations. Very Good. Wrapper. (263670) $15.00
21. Davidson Israel (editor). Siddur R. Saadja Gaon Kitab Gami As-Salawat Wat-Tasabih (In Hebrew). Jerusalem: Mass, 1970. 58 + 438 pp. In Hebrew, dj slight tears and worn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
reprint of the Mekize Nirdamim edition (263974) $45.00
22. Di Fidlroyz: Poems 1970-1972. Di Goldene Keyt, 1974. 111 pp. inscribed in Yiddish by Sutzkever with a drawing similar to the cover, djs torn and some fading. Good. Boards and dj.
drawings by Marc Chagall. (263594) $75.00
23. Dorfman Rivka and Ben-Zion. Synagogues Without Jews And the Communities That Built and Used Them. JPS, 2001. 342 pp. coffee table style book beauriful production. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263696) $52.00
24. Eagle Arnold photographs by. At Home Only with God: Believing Jews and Their Children on the Lower East Side in the 1930s. Aperture, 1992. Eaasy by Arthur Hertzberg wonderful photos about 30 pages dj slight tear. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263762) $16.00
25. Felstiner, Mary. To Paint her Life: Charlotte Salomon in the Nazi Era. NY: Harper, 1994. 8vo 290 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Jewish artist murdered by the Nazis and also about Alois Brunner, Eichmann’s associate in murdering Jews. (255729) $8.00
26. Finkelstein Louis. Sifra or Torat Kohanim According to Codex Assemani LXVI. JTS. 77+ 469 pp. facsimile of Codex Assemani LXVI in the Vatican Library. With an extensive introduction in Hebrew by Louis Finkelstein. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover .
This is a facsimile of one of the oldest rabbinic manuscripts (263976) $85.00
27. (France) Kohn Roger. An inventory to the French Jewish Communities Record Group (1648-1946). Jewish Theological Seminary, 1991. 295 pp. slight library marks. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
“This inventory provides access to a collection of documents concerning the French Jewish communities, which was acquired by the Jewish Theological Seminary of America from Zosa Szajkowski. The materials shed light on how the French Jewish community reacted to the French Revolution and Emancipation. They also provide information on major Jewish figures during the French Revolution and the First Empire, as well as on rabbinical and lay leaders in the last two centuries.” (263970) $15.00
28. Frankel William (editor). Gown and Tallith; In commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Cambridge University Jewish Society. London: Harvey Miller, 1989. 14 essays in three sections including Raphael Loewe on Cambridge Jewry the First Hundred Years, Cyril Domb on Jewish Life at Cambridge in the 1930s and 1940s, David Daube A Jewish Prayer, Renee Winegarten Simone de Beauvoir’s encounter with the Jews, Ailce Shalvi The view from the distaff side fourth part is reports lists and indexes 304 pages. Very good condition. Hardback & DJ. (231250) $15.00
29. Franzheim Liesel. Judaica: Kölnisches Stadtmuseum. Kolnisches Stadtmuseum, 1980. Oblong octavo, glossy paper covered boards, 483 pp., b/w photos throughout, some color photos, one side images the other description, corner bumped. Very Good. Hardcover .
On German Jewish material culture that has been lost. (262557) $24.00
30. Frensdorff Dr S. Massorah Magna Part One Massoretic Dictionary or the Massorah in Alphabetical Order. Ktav, 1968. 387 + 20 pp. reprint of the 1876 edition. Very Good. Hardcover . (263975) $100.00
31. Gabra Gawdat editor. Coptic Civilization: Two Thousand Years of Christianity in Egypt. American Univ Cairo, 2014. 338 pp. base of spine dj creased slight tear. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263714) $38.00
32. Gelbart Michal. Zingen Kinder Songs for Children (For Schools and Home). Metro Music, 1930s. about 45 pages In Yiddish may be inscribed by Gelbart slight stains to cover. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263597) $45.00
33. Goldman Bernard. The Sacred Portal A Primary Symbol in Ancient Judaic Art. Wayne State, 1966. 215 pages + 60 plates dj torn. Good condition. Hardcover . (263687) $10.00
34. Goodman, Susan (exhibition coordinator); Silver, Ken; Golan, Romy. The Circle of Montparnasse; Jewish Artists in Paris 1905-1945. New York: Universe Books, 1985. 126 pp. covers slight soiling. Very Good-. Wrapper.
series of superb essays, published with Jewish Museum (263705) $15.00
35. Grossman, Cissy. A Temple Treasury: The Judaica Collection of Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York. NY: Hudson Hills Press, 1989. oblong 8vo 198 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Magnificent work containing mark examples of Jewish ritual objects and art. (263763) $15.00
36. Gutmann, Joseph. The Jewish Sanctuary. Leiden: Brill, 1983. 34pp. + plates. Inst. of Religious Iconography at the State Univ of Groningen . Very Good. Wrapper. (263699) $35.00
37. Ḥaluts u-maʻaś : ḳovets meḥḳarim u-maʼamarim, mugash le-Prof. A.Y. Kats be-yovlo; Halutz V’Maas. Tel Aviv: Avuka, 1975. 126 +302 pp. In English and Hebrew. Good. Hardcover . (263602) $25.00
38. Hanegbi Zohar. Afghanistan: The Synagogue and the Jewish Home. Center for Jewish Art, 1991. 178 + 44 pp. In English and Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (263688) $36.00
39. Harshav Benjamin. The Moscow Yiddish Theater; art on stage in the time of revolution. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1993. `96 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (263712) $15.00
40. Helzel Florence. Witnesses to History; The Jewish Poster 1770-1985 a selection from the Judah Magnes Museum. MAgnes Museum, 1989. 119 pp 50 posters with commentary alongside. Very good+. Wrapper.
50 posters with commentary alongside (263649) $10.00
41. Heuberger Georg. Verehrt – Verfemt. Chagall und Deutschland. Prestel, 2004. 192 pp. In German essays and beautiful color plates. Very Good. Paperback. (263769) $15.00
42. Horodezky Dr. S.A. Leaders of Hassidism. London: Hasefer, 1928. 151 pp.evidence of number removed from bottom of spine spine worn. Good. Hardcover .
Foreword by M Gaster (263611) $9.00
43. Kaddari Menahem. The Medieval Heritage of Modern Hebrew Usage. Dvir, 1970. 17+ 167 pp in English and Hebrew. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (263908) $17.00
44. Kadish Sharman. Bolsheviks and British Jews: The Anglo-Jewish Community, Britain and the Russian revolution. Cass, 1992. 298 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263543) $16.00
45. Katz Menke. Burning Village. NY: The Smith, 1972. 135 pages extraordinary poet. Good. Hardback & DJ.
Poems of his Shtetl in Lithuania and its destruction during the First War. (264682) $12.00
46. Katz, Jacob. Exclusiveness and Tolerance: Studies in Jewish Gentile Relations in Medieval and Modern Times. London: Oxford Up, 1961. 200 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (263677) $27.00
47. Kaufmann Dr David. Etudes D’Archeologie Premiere Serie; Juive et Chretienne. Paris: Leroux, 1887. 52 pp sfep . Good. library binding.
Extrait de la revue des etudes Juives tome XIV (263617) $15.00
48. Knaphais, Moises & Wolf Bresler. Album De Oro Judeo-Argentino. Buenos Aires: 1973. red buckram type covers large book 345 pp. The glories of Jewish life in Argentina in Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (263596) $75.00
49. Kon, Abraham. Prayer. London: Soncino Press, 1971. 277 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Rabbi who came to England from Germany just prior to WW2 (264058) $8.00
50. Koolik, Marilyn Gold. Constructive and Deconstructive: Uses of Film as Propaganda: Case Studies from Jewish History. Harvard University: Max and Irene Engel Levy Memorial Lecture, (October 10, 1991) 1992. 25pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (263661) $12.00
51. Krautheimer, Richard. Mittelalterliche Synagogen. Frankfurter Verlag, 1927. 284 pp. over 100 illustrations , tape on free end paper. Very Good. Cloth.
Important work. (263606) $57.00
52. Krautheimer, Richard. Mittelalterliche Synagogen. Frankfurter Verlag, 1927. 284 pp. over 100 illustrations , ex library with pocket with smudges to covers and rips tears to end papers and creased pages reading copy. Fair. Cloth.
Important work. (263607) $30.00
53. Kruger, Renate. Die Kunst der Synagoge: Eine Einfuhrung in die Probleme von Kunst und Kult des Judentums. Leipzig: Koehler+Amelang, 1966. 195 pp. good. Hardcover .
Includes many plates. Important work on Jewish Art. (263761) $36.00
54. Krupnik Baruch. Milon shimushi la-Talmud la-Midrash vela-Targum: im perush ha-milot be-Ivrit, be-Anglit uve-Tsarfatit im dugma’ot u-mar’e mekomot/ A Dictionary of the Talmud, the Midrash and the Targum with Quotations from the Sources/ Handwörterbuch zu Talmud, Midrasch und Targum mit Belegen aus den Quellen. Shapiro Vallentine, 1927. Two volumes 461 + 440 pp., Good +. Hardcover . (263964) $45.00
55. Lambert Phyllis editor. Fortifications and the Synagogue: The Fortress of Babylon and the Ben Ezra Synagogue, Cairo. Weidenfeld and nicolson, 1994. 276 pp. beautifully produced work many color illustrations heavy book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263618) $50.00
56. Landau, Jacob M. Jews in Nineteenth-Century Egypt. NY: Ben Zvi, 1962. 302 pp.in Hebrew inscribed by author book plate. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (263531) $15.00
57. Langer, Lawrence (essay and commentary). Landscapes of Jewish Experience: Paintings by Samuel Bak. Boston: Pucker Gallery/Brandeis, 1997. large 8vo 126 pp. dj creased . Good. Hardback & DJ.
Bak was from Vilna, hidden during the Holocaust. Paints as a witness to the destruction and as a survivor rebuilding for future (260692) $36.00
58. Lea Charlene. Emancipation, Assimilation and Stereotype.: The Image of the Jew in German and Austrian Drama (1800-1850). Bouvier, 1978. 171 pp. Good. Paperback. (263796) $18.00
59. Liberman, Judith Weinshall. Holocaust Wall Hangings. Boston: Charles River, 2002. 89 pp. Very good+. Hardback & DJ.
Exquisitely produced book combines reproductions of 45 unique multimedia artworks about the Holocaust with analytical essays about these works, each from a different perspective. The large textile wall hangings have been exhibited in museums throughout the USA. Essays by Stephen Feinstein, Salvatore Scalora, Ori Soltes and the artist. (252099) $15.00
60. Lion J. Das Prager Ghetto. Artia, 1959. 100 pp. + 19 pp. of photos dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263675) $15.00
61. Luska Sidney. As it was written: A Jewish Musician’s Story. NY: Cassell, 1885. 12mo 253 pp. good. cloth. (263813) $10.00
62. Mann Vivian. Morocco: Jews and Art in a Muslim Land. Merrell, 2000. 192 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263703) $36.00
63. Mellinkoff Ruth. The Horned Moses in Medieval Art and Thought (California Studies in the History of Art, 14). California, 1970. 210 pp. with many plates following text bookplate. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263723) $25.00
64. Merhav, Rivka. Painted Greek Vases, Exercise in Observation, Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1975. Catalog # 135, English/Hebrew. Small stain to back cover. Very Good-. Wrapper. (263648) $17.00
65. Mirsky Sanuel. Sheeltot de rab. Ahai Gaon : a critical and annotated edition based on all available mss. with an introduction on the nature and scope of this first post-Talmudic book Levitiucs Vol IV. SURA Research, 1966. 411 +43 pp. dj torn hinge starting former owner name in pen on paste down. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263788) $40.00
66. Misrahi Hanina. Toldot Yehude Paras u-meshorerehem/ The History of the Persian Jews and Their Poets. Maas, 1966. 130 pp. dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263525) $20.00
67. Muneles Otto. Prague Ghetto in the Renaissance Period: Jewish Monuments in Bohemia and Moravia, Volme 4. State Museum, 1965. 124 pp. dj very torn filled with color plates. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263737) $25.00
68. Muneles Otto. Stary zidovsky hrbitov v Praze. Praha: statni Pedagogicke Nakladatelstvi, 1955. 479 + 39 pp. In Czech and Hebrew, dj torn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Filled with photos of cemeteries (263535) $15.00
69. Neusner Jacob. Judaisms and their Messiahs at the Turn of the Christian Era. Cambridge Univ Press, 1998. 316 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (264782) $18.00
70. Niger S. Yidishe Shrayber in Sovet-Rusland/ Yiddish Writers in Soviet Russia. Niger, 1968. 475 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (263610) $18.00
71. Obermuller Wihelm. Die Entstehung der Hebraer, Juden wie Israeten, des Christenthums und des Islam : nach Egyptischen, griechischen, Assyrisch-Babylonischen, und arabischen Quellen historisch Ethnologisch dargestellt. Wien: Eurich, 1878. 265 pp. library marked with pocket , tears to crown and base of spine. Good-. Boards. (260218) $15.00
72. The Old Jewish Cemetery in Prague : in the Works of Romantic Painters. Prague: State Jewish Museum, 1982. about 30 pages, Very Good-. Wrapper. (263766) $25.00
73. Piechotka, Maria and Kazimierz. Wooden Synagogues. Warsaw: Arkady, 1959. 220 pp. sfep dj torn but basically all present, residue of tape removed from base of dj. good. Hardback & DJ.
Publ.ished by the Institute of Polish Architect.ecture of the Polytechnic of Warsaw. Drawings,sketches,photos of destroyed synagogues. Essential reference work (263701) $95.00
74. Plessner, Salomon. Dath Moshe ve-Yehudit, oder Jüdisch-Mosaischer Religionsunterricht für die israelitische Jugend. Ein für den öffentlichen, auch Privat- und Selbstunterricht sich eigendes Lehrbuch der Hauptreligionswahrheiten und Lehren des Judenthums. Berlin: Fernbach, 1838. 2nd. 291 pp.bookplate, slight foxing, boards worn, crown and base of cloth spine torn. Good. Boards.
Type of catechism i (263819) $45.00
75. Podwal Mark. Kabbalistics. Forum Gallery, 2006. 25 pp. color drawings, essay by Cynthia Ozick. Very Good. Wrapper. (263691) $30.00
76. Rechtman Abraham. Jewish Ethnography and Folklore; Etnografia y Folklore Judios. Buenos AIres: IWO, 1958. 353 pages In Yiddish, wear to covers paper attached to back cover. Good. Hardcover .
Yidishe etnografye un folklor zikhroynes vegn der etnografisher ekspeditsye, ongefirt. fun Sh. An-Ski (263595) $75.00
77. Reichman Deborah. Making Change: 100 Artists Interpret the Tzedakah Box. San Francisco: Jewish Museum, 1999. 52 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (263767) $23.00
78. Reiss, Lionel. My Models Were Jews –A Painter’s Pilgrimmage to Many Lands; A Selection Of One Hundred And Seventy-Eight Paintings, Water-Colors, Drawings And Etchings. NY: Gordon Press, 1938. quarto 147 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
1200 copies were printed (252981) $65.00
79. Rejwan Nissim. Outsider in the Promised Land An Iraqi Jew in Israel. Univ of Texas, 2006. 245 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (241363) $15.00
80. Rivkind Isaac. Yidishe Gelt in Lebnsteyger Kultur-Geshikhte un Folk[l]or: A Lekskologishe Shtudye/ Jewish Money in Folkways Cultural History and Folklore: A Lexicological Study. AAJR, 1958. 303 pp. blue cloth, quarto, In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (263530) $18.00
81. Rosmarin Trude. Religion of Reason. Hermann Cohen’s System of Religious Philosophy. GBloch, 1936. 195 pp. lacks small piece of fep Trude Rosmarin was a major figure in Jewish Women’s wiritng and teaching in the 1900s and founded a Jewish Women’s school and the Jewish Spectator. Received her PhD in Germany. Good +. Hardcover . (264678) $45.00
82. Rubens, Alfred. A History of Jewish Costume; Funk and Wagnalls. NY: Weidenfeld, 1973. 216 pp .large book. Good. Hardcover . (263600) $15.00
83. Safan Chana signed copy. Haint Poems. Ykuf, 1950. 144 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (263609) $25.00
84. Salomon Dr Gotthold. Torah, Nevi’im Ketuvim, oder: Deutsche Volks-und Schul-Bibel für Israeliten. Aufs Neue aus dem Massoretischen Texte übersetzt. Altona: Hammerich, 1837. . 268 pp. (Torah). 224 pp. (Early Prophets). 252 pp. (Latter Prophets). 305 pp. (Writings). IV (Luahj Haftaroth). Good. Boards with cloth spine.
Lived 1784-1862 important leader in Reform Judaism (263615) $150.00
85. Sasoon, S. Sefer Halachot Pesuqot R Jehudai Gaon (SAEC VIII). Jerusalem: Mekize Nirdamim, 1950. 150 pp. paper toning. Good +. Boards. (264060) $20.00
86. Scheiber Alexander (editor). Semtitic Studies in Memory of Immanuel Low. Budapest: Kohut Foundation, 1947. 361 pages (in Hungarian and German) + 195 pages (in Hebrew), tears to covers, and spine , tape on spine and down front hinge of book, bookplate of Abraham Joshua Heschel. Good. Wrapper. (263820) $45.00
87. Schnold Rachel editor. The Gaon of Vilna The Man and his Legacy. Beth Hatefutsoth, 1998. 90 pp. In Hebrew and English exhibition catalog with essays. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (263684) $38.00
88. Schwartz-Be’eri, Ora. The Jews of Kurdistan Daily Life Customs Arts and Crafts. Jeruslaem: Israel Musuem, 2000. 8vo 269 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (261251) $15.00
89. Seri, Shalom editor. Se’i Yona: Yemenite Jews in Israel. Am Oved, 1983. 508 pp. In Hebrew filled with essays large book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263575) $36.00
90. Servi Sandro edited by. La Sinagoga di Firenze The Synagogue of Florence. Com Isr di Firenze, 1982. 15 pp. filled with magnificent color images. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263716) $16.00
91. Silvain Gerard. Sepharades et Juifs d’Ailleurs. Biro, 2001. 540 pp. filled with postcard images , quite amazing to view Sephardic communities throughout the world. Very Good. Paperback. (263685) $40.00
92. Slapak Orpa editor. The Jews of India : A Story of Three Communities. UPNE/Israel Museum, 2003. 215 pp. based on an exhibit held at the Museum. Very Good. Paperback. (263704) $36.00
93. Sobari Abner. Yad LeRishonim-Nes LeMemshecim Shecunot Nahailel BeReshitah: 80 Shanah LeHovsadah (?). Netanya: Association for Society and Culture Perpetuation of the Heritage of the Yeminite Jews, 1980s?. 90 pp.In Hebrew writing on fep The Yeminte Neighborhood of Nahahliel in Rershetah and its beginnings, their aliyah to Israel . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263898) $55.00
94. Solomon Susan. Louis I. Kahn’s Jewish Architecture: Mikveh Israel and the Midcentury American Synagogue. Brandeis, 2009. 214 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263697) $27.00
95. Sothebys. The Marvin & Janet Fishman Collection: German Art from Expressionism to Resistance. Sothebys, 2000. 276 pp. bottom corners curled, extraordinary collection of work from many artists the Nazis labeled as “degenerate artists” 100 world class works with bibliography on the artists and biographies in the back. Good. Paperback. (263689) $22.00
96. (Synagogues) Gruber Sam. American Synagogues A Century of Architecture and Jewish Community. Rizzoli, 2007. 239 pp. beautifil photos and text concerning development of the movement, ex libary with markings. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263694) $40.00
97. Tracing An-Sky. Jewish collections from the State Ethnographic Museum in St Petersburg. Exhibition catalogue. Zwolle – Amsterdam – St. Petersburg, Waanders, 1992. 129 pp. beautiful reproductions of his color illustrations of the ethnography espeditions and essays. Very Good. Paperback. (263692) $22.00
98. Uffenheimer Benjamin editor. Bible and Jewish History: Studies in Bible and Jewish History Dedicated to the Memory of Jacob Liver. Tel Aviv University, 1971. 23 + 399 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (263555) $36.00
99. Urbach Ephraim. Sefer Pitron Torah a Collection of midrashim and Interpretations edited from a Manuscript with Introduction annotations and Indices. Magnes, 1978. 415 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (263553) $15.00
100. Vallicrosa, Jose M. Millas. Selomo Ibn Gabirol: Como Poeta Y Filosofo. Madrid: Inst. Arias Montano, 1945. 12mo 197 pp.tears to corners of first few pages . good. wrapper. (264057) $18.00
101. Verblun Elie. Alemens Velt.(101 Lider)/ Alemens Velt. (El mundo de Todos.). : Aroysgegebn fun Yidishn Shrayber un Zshurnalistn Farayn in Urugvay,, 1957. 128 cover worn. Good. Boards. (263608) $30.00
102. Vitochova, Marie. Jewish Prague. Prague: 1995. 48pp. Very Good. Pamphlet . (263662) $12.00
103. Volavkova, Hana. A Story of the Jewish Museum of Prague. Prague: Artia, 1968. 344 pp. , filled with photos and paintings of Jewish life, coffee table size book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263721) $50.00
104. Weber, Annette; Friedlander, Evelyn and Armbruster, Fritz, edited by. Mappot …blessed he who comes. The Band of Jewish Tradition since late Antiquity. Mappot …gesegnet, der da kommt. Das Band Jüdischer Tradition seit der Spätantike. Hidden Legacy Foundation, 1997. 223 pp. oblong 8vo. beautiful production . Very Good. Hardcover .
On traditional ritual objects with extensive materials on wimpels. On the world of German Jewry that was lost. (263727) $45.00
105. Weinreich max. Der Veg Tzu Unser Yugnt: Yesodos, Metodn, Problemen fun Yidisher Yugnt-Forshung/ The Way to Our Youth: Elements, Methods, and Problems of Jewish Youth Research. Wilno: YIVO, 1935. 309 pp. paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover . (263593) $50.00
106. Weiser Raphael (editor). Treasures from the Library Ets Haim/ Livraria Montezinos; of the Portuguese Israelietisch Seminarium Ets Haim Amsterdam. Jerusalem: Jewish Narional and University Library, 1980. Exhibition cataloge 119 pages with esays in Hebrew and English, tears to spine, top corner creased, book plate. Good. Wrapper.
Jewish life in the Netherlands (263645) $20.00
107. Weissbach Lee. The Synagogues of Kentucky History and Architecture. Kentucky, 1995. 176 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263724) $15.00
108. Wilensky Mordechai. Ha-Hasidim u-Mitnagim: Le-Toldot Ha-Pulmus Sh-Binehem ba-Shanim 5732-5775/ Hasidim and Mitnagim: A Study of the controversy between them in the years 1772-1815. Bialik, 1970. Volume 1 of two published , In Hebrew, 352 pp. , dj torn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263523) $10.00
109. Wisemann, Falk. Genizah: Hidden Legacies of the German Village Jews: An exhibition. Ottobrun: Bertelsman, 1992. 224 pp. in library binding with library marks. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Hidden Legacy Fdn publication,filled with photos of retrieved documents and texts. Wonderful work (263726) $30.00
110. Zimiles Murray. Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel Jewish Carving Traditions. UPNE, 2007. 170 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
this book is the first fully developed study of the secularization of Eastern European Jewish folk art traditions in America. Until recently, little was known in the United States about the creative work of European Jewish folk artists. The destruction of the material heritage of Eastern European Jews during World War II has made it very difficult to recover artifacts of Jewish artistry. The physical remnants of that heritage–among them, the types of papercuts, gravestones, and wood carvings featured in this volume–can only suggest how extensive the traditions of Jewish folk art in Eastern Europe once were. Skilled craftsmen, responsible for the painted and carved interiors of Eastern European synagogues and their elaborately carved arks and bimahs, came to the New World in the late nineteenth century, where they soon flourished and became the creators of some of America’s greatest folk art. Folk art embraces many artistic expressions made by gifted individuals who have not had formal training in the arts. Folk artists apply a diverse range of skills to objects used in daily life. Jewish folk artist emigres encountered in the United States a society more interested in what they could produce than in what religion they practiced. Not only did they continue to carve religious artifacts for new synagogues serving fellow immigrants; they also created wooden trade figures, carnival figures, and some of the greatest carousel animals the world has ever seen. This volume tells the story of carvers who, released from Eastern European religious strictures, responded with great playfulness to an expansive new environment. Traditional patterns reemerged, often infused with American ideas and images, not only in synagogue decorations and objects intended for ritual use but also in the secular world. (263764) $36.00
111. Zohar Naomi. Oleloth Mi-Batsir: Haskala, Hassidism and Mitnaggedim in Neglected Literary Works. Mass, 1987. 246 pp. dj torn In Hebrew. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (263562) $16.00