1. Abramovitch R (introduction by). Di Farbrekhns fun Stalin – Di Farbrekhns fun Sovetishn Rezshim The Crimes of Stalin–the Crimes of the Regime; Special Report to the 20th Congress by Nikita Khruschev. der Wecker, 1956. 102 pp. In Yiddish, bookplate. Good. Wrapper. (269269) $17.00
2. Alacoz Moshe Zadok. Vierzig Yar in Vashington War es War. Romm, 1942. 127 pp. In Yiddish inscription on fep. Very Good. Hardcover . (268425) $25.00
3. Alba Layn. Eyngela Riyngala. NY: Farlag Matones, 1948. 200 pages In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover .
Children’s book illustrated wonderfully by A Goldmann (268598) $36.00
4. Almanakh Fun Di Yidishe Shrayber in Yisrael: Almanach of the Yiddish Writers in Israel. Organisation of the Yiddish Writers and Journalists in Israel Jidišer Šraiber-Un Zšurnalistn-Farein in Jisroel,, 1967. 360 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (267001) $25.00
5. Alter W (Viktor Alter). Prawda O Palestynie. Warsaw: Di Welt, 1925. 45 pp. bound with Der Faruvertizetus by Zvi Hirsch Margeishevitz NY 1922 16 pp. and bound with Y Ben Zvi (Avner) Di Arabeshaw Bevegung in Eretz Yisrael PoaleZion NY 1921 , 40 pp. both items in Yiddish. Good. Boards.
Ben Zvi spent time in NY and worked with the Poale Zion before returning to Palestine in 1919, Alter was an important Bund leader executed by order of Stalin. (267037) $85.00
6. Antologie. Oisgewortzlte un Aingewortzlte; Uprooted and the Rooted. Buenos Aires: Ateneo Literario en el IWO, 1971. 269 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover .
Volume 49 (268983) $20.00
7. Apotheker Dovid. 137 Erzahlungen Humeristische Shriftn. Hebrew Publishing, 1910. about 200 pages, In Yiddish, hinge started covers stained. Good. Hardcover . (267703) $25.00
8. Asch Sholom. Dramatische Shriftn Bukh I. Wilno: Kletzkin, 1922. four plays, Yivtach, Shavtai Zvi, Amnon un Tamar, Marnon , 223 pp. In Yiddish. Good-. Hardcover . (266861) $20.00
9. Astour Michael. Geshikhte fun der Frayland-Lige un funem teritorialistishn gedank; Tomo 1. NY: Liga Frailand, 1967. 560 pp. In Yiddish slight library stamp on fep, number on spine History of the Freeland League and of the Territorialist Idea. Good. Hardcover .
After the Nazis came to power in 1933, Steinberg, his wife and three children settled in London. There, he was one of the co-founders of the Freeland League, which attempted to find a safe haven for European Jews fleeing the Holocaust. The League selected the Kimberley region of Western Australia as a place to purchase agricultural land where 75,000 Jewish refugees from Europe could be resettled. This effort became known as the Kimberley Plan, or Kimberley Scheme.[ Steinberg based his campaign on the officially declared need to populate northern Australia. On 23 May 1939 he arrived in Perth and by early 1940 gained substantial public support, but also encountered opposition.(Wikipedia) (268570) $75.00
10. Auerbach Ephraim. Kiria Levana Vaise Stot. Peretz, 1960. 134 pp. cover bit soiled In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266984) $25.00
11. Bader Gershom. Draysig doyres̀ Iden in Poylen : fun der ershṭer tsayṭ, ṿos Iden zaynen ahin geḳumen ṿoynen, biz tsum letsṭen “miaṭezsh”. NY: 1927. 496 pp. hinge started wear to covers. Good. Hardcover . (268514) $30.00
12. Bar-El Joseph. The Poetry of Yakov Friedman (Yiddish). Rena Costa Bar Ilan, 1996. 120 pp. corners bumped, inscribed, In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (266995) $15.00
13. Baraban A J . Heymen : dertseylungen un felyeṭonen. Israel: Areli, 1959. 127 pp. In Yiddish , inscribed by author, lacks piece of cover, some staining, paper yellowing but not brittle. Fair. Wrapper. (266981) $26.00
14. Baradoleyn L (?). Oyf Yener Zeit Sambatyon Wissenshatlicher un Fantasisher Roman. Slutzky, 1929. 190 pp.In Yiddish covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (267702) $30.00
15. Barkan H . Mayn sjtetl Ungen : poeme. Gros Drukeray, 1959. 182 pp. In Yiddish inscribed by Barkan. Very Good. Hardcover . (265523) $25.00
16. Bass Hyman (editor). Pinkes far der Forshung fun der Yiddisher Literatur un Presse Band Dray. Atran, 1975. 519 pp. In Yiddish Volume 3 Very Good. Hardcover . (264128) $25.00
17. Bass Hyman (editor). Pinkes far der Forshung fun der Yiddisher Literatur un Presse Band Eins. Atran, 1965. 415 pp. In Yiddish Volume 1 Very Good. Hardcover . (264129) $25.00
18. Bass Hyman (editor). Pinkes far der Forshung fun der Yiddisher Literatur un Presse Tzveiter Band. Atran, 1972. 559 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (264130) $25.00
19. Bassin M (editor). American Yiddish Poetry Anthology Amerikaner Yidishe Poezye: Antologye. NY: Self, 1940. 601 pp. corners of covers bumped, worn In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover . (268140) $10.00
20. Beker Israel (signed by). Stage of Life. United Artists, 1979. Xv (English and also in Yiddish ) + 84 pp.of paintings,spine tomr, wear to covers, art work disbound but coplete. Good-. Stiff Wrapper.
Fought with the partisans, involved in artistic theater for the Displaced Persons in Germany after the War and then did aliyah. Actor became artist. Paintings include his home town, the Shoah and his acting career. (267816) $18.00
21. Ben-Hanan Michael. Yoga Vebreut Yoga and Health. Markuz, 1971. 211 pp. In Hebrew with pictures. Good +. Hardcover . (266128) $25.00
22. Berlin, Meir [Meyer]. Fun Volozin biz Yerushalayim: Epizoden. Volume One Only. New York: 1933. 239 pp. In Yiddish . Good. Hardcover . (266533) $28.00
23. Bernstein Mordechai. Reglas Contra El Lujo y El Derroche entre Los Judios. Buenos Aires: 1955. 57 pp In Yiddish,serious tears to covers, slight library marks, appears to be inscribed. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (267731) $25.00
24. Bialostotzky , B J. Fun Undzer Oytser (Mayses un Legendes) Fun Golus Bovel biz Roym. CYCO, 1949. 345 pp. In Yiddish, appears to be inscribed. Good. Hardcover . (266862) $10.00
25. Birnboym, Y., edited by. Yidisher Teater in Ayrope Tsvishn Beyde Velt-Milhamos: Sovetn-Farband Ma’ariv-Ayrope Baltishe Lender/ Jewish Theatre Between the Two World Wars: In Western Europe, the Soviet Union and the Baltic Countries. Congress for Jewish Culture, 1971. 382 pp. some creased pages. Good +. Paperback. (266573) $15.00
26. Bund in Russland. Dos revolutsyonere Rusland: der gantser profit un spetsyele baytrogn far dem Bund in Rusland. Ilustrirtes zamelbukh. Jewish Socialist Federation, 1917. 127 pp.In Yiddish small library marks tp back end paper and cover, covers worn fraying to crown and base of spine, with some fascinating black and whitef photos. Good-. Boards. (268695) $25.00
27. Burshtyn Samuel. Der masken bal fun der fardorbenheyt: dertseylungen, dikhtungen, eseyen. (The Masquearde Ball From the Corruption). 1949. 96 pp.In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (265511) $16.00
28. Cahan A. Rifoel Neritskh: an ertsehlung vegen a stolyer vos iz gekumen tsum seykhl/ Raphael Naarizoch. Forward, 1917. 199 pp. In Yiddish tears to covers, spine taped reading copy. Good-. Paperback. (268555) $16.00
29. Cahan Y L Weinreich Max editor. Yidishe Folkslider Mit Melodyes/ Yiddish Folksongs With Melodies Collected by Y.L. Cahan. YIVO, 1957. 559 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266334) $30.00
30. Cutler Yosel. Muntergang Stories and drawings. NY: Signal, 1934. In Yiddish 191 pages , crown and base of spine bumped. Good. Hardcover .
stories with great illustrations in the style of Gropper (266863) $15.00
31. daniel tcharny buch. Paris: daniel tcharny fond, 1939. 288 pp. In Yiddish tears to covers. Good. Wrapper.
Charney was active in Moscow Yiddish circles in the early 1920s. After living in Moscow, Vilna, Warsaw, Berlin, and Paris, he emigrated to New York in 1941. (268675) $40.00
32. Demblin B. A Fremde Welt and In Naiem Land. Israel House, 1973. 123 + 365 pp( two volumes in one) In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (266989) $15.00
33. Di Fraye gezelshaft Vol I No 9 September 1910/ Die Freie Gesellshaft A Monthly Magazine, for the Most dvanced Ideas in Social Science. NY: Freie Arbeiter Stimme Group, Sept 1910. 730-818 pp. In Yiddish covers worn and tears, spine torn Vol 1 No 9 Good-. Wrapper. (263858) $36.00
34. Dimanshtein S (editor) . Yidn in FSSR: Zamlbukh (Jews in U.S.S.R.: Symposium). Moscow: Mezshdunarodnaia Knagi Farlag “Emes”, 1935. 284 pp. filled with photographs, In Yiddish, Yiddish inscription on fep, covers worn, slight library mark and number on spine. Good. Hardcover .
Soviet propaganda (269235) $58.00
35. Dropkin Celia. In heysn vint; lider. [Pozy-Saulson press], 1935. 129 pp., In Yiddish, covers worn,slight bump to crown. Good. Hardcover .
While often associated with the In Zikh (Introspectivist) movement, her work does not adhere closely to that group’s ethic. She did, in common with the Inzikhistn, employ free verse much of the time; and like them she believed any subject matter was appropriate for Yiddish poetry, not only specifically Jewish ones. Her deeply personal poems, however, tended to embarrass the male elite, including major critics such as B. Rivkin and Sh. Niger. Her social world overlapped with members of many literary movements. She was a close friend of Zishe Landau, one of the founders of the slightly earlier, rival group, Di Yunge. She also was friendly with Anna Margolin, who like Dropkin refused to adhere to a single poetic model.During The Depression the family moved frequently in search of work. They lived for several years in Virginia and later in Massachusetts, before returning permanently to New York in the late 1930s. She collected her poems in a book, In Heysn Vint (In the Hot Wind) in 1935. (Wikepedia) (268627) $78.00
36. Ehrenreykh, Hayim [Ehrenreich, Chaim]. Figurn un Profiln oyf der Yidisher Bine/ Figures and Profiles of the Yiddish Stage. Tel Aviv: 1976. 288 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (269263) $15.00
37. Erlich J. Volbrom. Peretz, 1963. 92 pp. in Hebrew and Yiddish side by side. Very Good. Hardcover . (267401) $36.00
38. Faierman A. Tsey shtromen : dertseylungen. : Shrayber farayn H.D. Nomberg, 1954. 167 pp. tear to cover In Yiddish. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (267400) $36.00
39. Feinberg L inscribed by. Der farmishpeter doyr: roman in fir teyln/The Doomed Generation (A Novel in Verse). Marstin, 1954. 335 pp. inscribed copy in Yiddish, Good. Hardcover . (265271) $14.00
40. Fink Jacob. Le Judaisme Francais: Essais et Reflexions. Paris: Editions Polyglottes, 1952. library mark tp 199 pp.In Yiddish, lacks cover, inscribed. Good. wrapper. (267719) $18.00
41. Fishman Rochel. Azoi Vil Ikh Faln: Opgeklibine Lider fun Ruhkl Fushman/ I Want To Fall Like This: Selected Poems of Rukhl Fishman. Wayne State, 1994. 204 pp. bilingual Yiddish English edition . Very Good. Wrapper. (246308) $10.00
42. Friedman Flora. Silent Sounds Stille Kalaniggun. Shalom Aleichem School, 1937. 38 pp. cover bent in middle, hinge starting, inscribed by author. Good-. Hardcover . (266575) $25.00
43. Frishman David. Alle Werk fun Dovid Frishman Erzehlungen -Dritte Bukh; Idish Tater in Idish Literatur. Warsaw: Farlag Central, 1914. 202 pp. coves water stains, slight water stains to pages not affecting textcovers worn, In Yiddish. Good-. Hardcover .
When World War I, broke out Frischmann was in Berlin and was imprisoned as an enemy alien. He was set free and permitted to return to Poland. When the German army neared Warsaw, he left for Odessa, where he stayed until the Russian Revolution. After the 1917 Revolution, a Hebrew literary center developed in Moscow. Frischmann was invited to be the chairman of the editorial board of Stybel Publications. In 1919 Stybel was closed down in Moscow and re-formed in Warsaw, where Frischmann remained as editor. (266116) $40.00
44. Frishman David. Alle Werk fun Dovid Frishman Erzehlungen -Vierte Bukh; Statenblater. Warsaw: Farlag Central, 1914. 173 pp. coves water stains, slight water stains to pages not affecting textcovers worn, In Yiddish. Good-. Hardcover .
When World War I, broke out Frischmann was in Berlin and was imprisoned as an enemy alien. He was set free and permitted to return to Poland. When the German army neared Warsaw, he left for Odessa, where he stayed until the Russian Revolution. After the 1917 Revolution, a Hebrew literary center developed in Moscow. Frischmann was invited to be the chairman of the editorial board of Stybel Publications. In 1919 Stybel was closed down in Moscow and re-formed in Warsaw, where Frischmann remained as editor. (266118) $40.00
45. Frishman David. Alle Werk fun Dovid Frishman Erzehlungen Erste Bukh; Erzahlungen. Warsaw: Farlag Central, 1914. 226 pp. coves water stains, slight water stains to pages not affecting textcovers worn, In Yiddish. Good-. Hardcover .
When World War I, broke out Frischmann was in Berlin and was imprisoned as an enemy alien. He was set free and permitted to return to Poland. When the German army neared Warsaw, he left for Odessa, where he stayed until the Russian Revolution. After the 1917 Revolution, a Hebrew literary center developed in Moscow. Frischmann was invited to be the chairman of the editorial board of Stybel Publications. In 1919 Stybel was closed down in Moscow and re-formed in Warsaw, where Frischmann remained as editor. (266117) $40.00
46. Gar Joseph. Viderklangen Echoes Autobiograhical noes. Hamenora, 1971. 284 pp. dj torn writing fep In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266569) $20.00
47. Gebirtig, Mordecai . Ha-Ayarah bo’eret: Undzer shtetl brent. Moreshet, 1967. 82 pp. in Hebrew and the original Yiddish, Good +. Hardcover . (266125) $25.00
48. Gelbart Michal. Zingen Kinder Songs for Children (For Schools and Home). Metro Music, 1930s. about 45 pages In Yiddish appears to be be inscribed by Gelbart slight stains to cover. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268139) $38.00
49. Gelber Mark (editor). Identity and Ethos A Festschrift for Sol Liptzin on the Occasion of His 86th Birthday. Lang, 1986. 412 pp. many wonderful essays on Yiddish literatre In English. Very Good. Paperback. (251526) $15.00
50. Glick Hirsh. Lieder un Poemes; mit an areinfir fun Nachman meisel. NY: YKUF, 1953. In Yiddish 61 pages. Good. Wrapper. (222642) $20.00
51. Goichberg I. Di Gilderne Pave: Lider un Ferzn. Chromow Foundation, 1949. 128 pp.In Yiddish .,charming illustrations by Shirley Knaring. Good +. Hardcover . (264137) $25.00
52. Goichberg Israel. Kumsa un Bar Kumsa. NY: Matanot, 1931. 61 pp. good. cloth.
Story in Yiddish with exquisite woodcuts. (263804) $30.00
53. Gold Ben. Avreml Broyde: di lebens-geshikhte fun an arbeter. (Avreml Broide). Prompt, 1944. Second Edition. 188 pp In Yiddish wear to cover tears to crown and base of spine . Illustrations by Gropper. Good +. Hardcover . (266576) $16.00
54. Gold Ben. Menchen. Guild Trades, 1948. 256 pp in Yiddish with illustrations by Gropper, Good-. Cloth. (266823) $10.00
55. Goldblatt David. A collection of articles by David Goldblatt in the Defense of the Yiddish Language. NYC. 244 pp.In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (268965) $30.00
56. Goldfaden Abraham . Oysgeklibene shriftn: Shulamis un Bar-Kokhba: muzik tsu 28 lider fun 8 operetes: fragmentn fun forsharbetn tsu der kharakteristik, zikhroynes, bilder/ Theater Music and Studies on the Jewish Literature. YIVO, 1972. 372 pp. Good. Boards.
Goldfaden was a Russian-born Jewish poet, playwright, stage director and actor in the languages Yiddish and Hebrew, author of some 40 plays. Goldfaden is considered the father of the Jewish modern theatre.In 1876 he founded in Romania what is generally credited as the world’s first professional Yiddish-language theater troupe. He was also responsible for the first Hebrew-language play performed in the United States. Rather than simply being a poet, he became a songwriter as such, composing works that were intended to be sung, for use in his plays.The works are still popular to this day including “Raisins and Almonds.” His plays concerned serious subjects also. (268984) $25.00
57. Goldman Moises foreword. Anuario 5714 Ano Hebreo 1953/1954 Vida Comunitaria Judia. Asociacion Mutual Israelita Argentina, 1953. 510 pp.slight library marks, a thriving Jewish community, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266944) $36.00
58. Gottesfled Chone. Mayn rayze iber Galitsye. Faraynigte Galitsianer Idn in Amerika,, 1937. 199 pp. In Yiddish tears to crown of spine. Good. Hardcover . (269548) $20.00
59. Grade Chaim. Der shulhoyf Der Shulhoif The Synagogogue Courtyard. NY: ABer, 1952. 378 pp In Yiddish . Inscribed by Grade. Very Good. Hardcover . (266570) $65.00
60. Granach Alexander. Ot Geyt a Mentsh. (There Goes a man). YKUF, 1948. 384 pp.In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266565) $18.00
61. Greenberg Eliezer inscribed. Di Lange Nakht. NY: Lipkaner Besaraber Soseieti , 1946. 128 pp In Yiddish inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover . (267600) $18.00
62. Gross Naftoli. Maaselech un Mesholim Tales and Parables. NY: Aber, 1955. 464 pp. In Yiddish, Good. Hardcover . (266999) $18.00
63. Gutman Saul. Traditsye un Banayung Tradition and Innovation: Essays 1944-1966. Farlag Matones, 1967. 375 pp. Inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover . (266993) $12.00
64. Halpern Moshe (Moise Leib Halpern ). Di goldene pave. Farlag Grupe Idish, 1924. 301 pp. covers worn tear to crown of spine In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (267374) $30.00
65. Hamer Jacklun Sarah. Shtamen un Tseygen : Dertseylungen (Stumps and Branches). Der Novoradomsker Society, 1954. 224 pp inscribed by author , bookplate of Boiberik (secular Yiddish camp in the Catskills) Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266571) $30.00
66. Hamer-Jacklin Sarah inscribed by . Shtidt un Shtedtl stories. NY: Peretz, 1964. 204 pp. in Yiddish, dj worn and torn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265632) $20.00
67. Hazkoni Starkman Moshe. Abraham Golomb Jubilee Book. Mexico: Pintel, 1969/70. 916 pp. bookplate, In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover .
Golomb was affiliated with the Psychology and Education section of YIVO in Vilna, under the direction of by Leibush Lehrer, and was also active in the Kultur-lige. From 1921 to 1931, he was the director of the Vilna Teachers Seminary. After a living in Palestine from 1932 to 1938, Golomb emigrated to Winnipeg, Canada, where he became principal of the Peretz School. In 1944 he moved to Mexico City, where for 20 years he ran the Yiddish schools. (265711) $23.00
68. Hertz J S. Hirsh Lekert. Farlag Unser Tsait, 1952. 136 pp In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (268618) $15.00
69. Herzl, Theodor. Di Iddishe Staat. Boston: Shapira, 1920s?. 94 pp new covers. good. stiff wrap. (266926) $36.00
70. Hirshovitz Abarham. Minhage Yeshurun (Idishe minhogim). Vilna: Garber, 1914. 270 pp hinge started . In Yiddish Hirshovitz was a Rabbi in Pittsburgh. Good-. Hardcover . (267014) $30.00
71. Hoffman Benzion. Toyznt yor Pinsk: geshikhte fun der shtot: der Yidisher yishev, institutsyes, sotsyale bavegungen, perzenlekhkaytn, gezelshaftlekhe tuer, Pinsk iber der velt. NY: : Pinsker Brentsh Arberer-Ring, , 1941. 500 pp.In Yiddish covers bit worn, crown bumped, History of the Jews of Pinsk from the Middle Ages up to the Shoah. Good. Hardcover . (268168) $50.00
72. Ignatov David. Romanen, dertseylungen, legenden un vunder mayses: . band eyns un tsvey Romanen un dertseylungen: In keselgrub . Tsvishen tsvey zunen .: band dray un fir: Fun unz far unz ; Dos farborgene likht; Vunder mayses. Freiheit Farlag Americ, 1920s?. four volumes and some additions , approximately 650 pp. In Yiddish bd. 1. In keselgrub –bd. 2. Tsvishen tsvay zunen –bd. 3. Dos farbogene likht — bd. 4. Vunder mayses fun alten Prag. Good. Hardcover .
From Ukraine to NY, active in Yiddish circles, member of the “Young Ones.” (265651) $68.00
73. Jacob Zerubavel. Yidisher arbeter pinkes : tsu der geshikhte fun der Poyle-Tsiyen bavegung. warsaw: Naye kultur, 1927. 648 pp. small library stamp on title page and small library pocket on free endpaper, In Yiddish, stains to foreedge paper yellowing but not brittle, title written in white ink on spine with small library number. Good. Hardcover .
Includes letter from publisher written in 1929 (267758) $135.00
74. Janasowicz Isaac (editor). Cinco Anos de Vida Comunitaria Judia En Buenos Aires 1958-1962; Pinhas vor de Kehila Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires: 1963. 710 pp. hinges started some library mark and number on spine, book is in Yiddish. wear to covers and crown bumped. Very Good. Hardcover . (266934) $45.00
75. Jankowitz Max. Literarisher deklamator. NY: na, na. 94 pp.some furled pages In Yiddish. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (267527) $15.00
76. Kacyzne, Alter. Gezamlte shriftn. Band Tsvay. Arabeskn, Prometeus, Hordus. HaMenorah, 1969. 344 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266987) $15.00
77. Kamenetski, N. Die Arbeter-shul: lernbukh farn fertn yor. New York: International Workers Order, 1934. 208 pp. spine worn and torn, with new label, covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (267009) $75.00
78. Kantorowicz N. Farshyundene Yidishe yishuvim Comunidades Judias Desaparecidas. Buenos Aires: Union Central Israelita Polaca en la Argentina, 1963. 354 pp., book is in Yiddish, pen writing on fep, hinge started. Good +. Hardcover .
Number 170 (267402) $30.00
79. Kapelov I. Amolike Yaren. Iberlebungen Fun a Yidish Ingel in Der Alter Haym. Illustriert Fun Tadres Geler. Farlag Matones, 1931. 208 pp.boards worn, book plate. Very Good. Boards. (267003) $25.00
80. Kaplan A. Haggadah shel Pesach reich ilustrirte iberzetzt Yiddish durkh H. A. Kaplan. 1926. 142 p. covers worn and torn spine repaired , In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265773) $25.00
81. Karalnik Dr A Abraham Coralnik. :Dos bukh fun Blatter Eyn Gezammelte geschichte erster Teil
. Warsaw: Aschisefer, 1928. 236 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266120) $18.00
82. Kasdin, Chaim (editor). Lerer-Jiskor-Bukh; di umgekumene lerer fun Zisho shulin in Poylin – Teacher Memorial Book. Marstin Press, 1952-1954. 565 pp. In Yiddish, includes photos of the classes and groups of teachers. long inscription not by author, slight library stamp and tape removed from spine. Very Good. Cloth.
Teachers of the ZISHO, Central Yiddish Schools Organization in Poland. Biographies of Jewish teachers murdered in the Shoah. (268486) $30.00
83. Katsnelson-Rubashov, Rahel. Vos Arbeterins Dertseyln: A Erets-Yisroel Bukh/ The Woman Worker Speaks: Collected writings of Jewish Women Workers in Palestine. Tel Aviv: Pioneer Women’s Organisation, 1931. 372 pp covers worn, hinges need repair, reading copy In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover . (264313) $18.00
84. Katz Dovid (editor) . Oksforder Yidish: A Yearbook of Yiddish Studies I (1990). harwood, 1990. 399 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover .
Includes “Yiddish in Yiddish,” Dovid Katz, “Blitz and Witzenhausen: New Aspects of an Old Conflict,” Marion Aptroot, “Yiddish Culture in Prewar Piotrkow (Pyeterkov),” Majer Bogdanski, “Jews in Polish Folklore,” Wladyslaw T. Bartoszewski, “Halachic Sources of Old Yiddish Words, ” Joseph Bar-El, “On Mendele’s Syntax in ‘Fishke der krumer,'” Lewis Glinert, “Why do Literary Historians Ignore A.N. Stencl?” Jeffrey Grossman, “On the Origins of Ashkenaz and Yiddish,” Shmuel Hiley, “Abraham Sutzkever’s ‘Ode tsu der toyb,'” Heather Valencia, “The Politics of Researching Spoken Yiddish in the USA and the USSR,” Rakhmiel Peltz, “In Honor of Professor Chone Shmeruk,” S.S. Prawer, “Older Yiddish Lexicography: Sources and Methods,” Dovid Katz, “Watchmaking in Mikhalishek,” Menke Katz, “A Conspiracy and a Question Mark,” Robert D. King, “Irony in Arthur Schnitzler and Lamed Shapiro,” Dafna Clifford, “Beginnings of Modern Literary Yiddish (1771-1798),” Dov-Ber Kerler, “My Teacher Elye Falkovitsh,” Joseph Kerler, “Remnants of Yiddish in the German of Schopfloch,” Hadassah Shy, “Yiddish Literature and Collective Memory: The Khmelnitski Pogroms,” Chone Shmeruk, “In Memorium: Hartog Beem,” “In Memorium: Florence Guggenheim-Grunberg,” “Seven Letters from Sholem Ash to Moyshe Sanders.” (264765) $85.00
85. Katz Pinie editor. Antologie fun der jidiser literatur in Argentine (Literatura Idisch). Buenos Aires : Cultura/Di Presse, 1944. 942 pp. In Yiddish , tear to top of spine, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover .
Twenty fifth anniversary of the publisher Di Presse (266943) $136.00
86. Klepfisz Heszel. On the Paths of History: Ashkenaz and East European Jewry. Jerusalem: Tsur Ot, 1993. In Yiddish 8vo 605 pp. new. cloth. (266563) $15.00
87. Kopstein Moshe. Dos Folck an zeyn Oser The Peoples’ Treasure (Poetic Folklore). Tel Aviv: Falrag Shalom, 1979. 213 pp. In Yiddish postscript by Dov Noy covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (261764) $30.00
88. Korenchandler, Yehezkel. Yidn In Pariz: Materialn far Yidisher Geshikhte/ Les Juifs A Paris. Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture et de la Commission du Livre, 1970. 240 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (267131) $15.00
89. Korn Itzhak. Yidish in Rumenye: eseyen/ Yiddish in Romania. Avukah, 1989. 312 pp. in Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (269262) $15.00
90. Korn Rachel (inscribed) . 9 short stories, Nayn dertseylungen, Nine short stories. Montreal: Aroysgegebn fun a komittee, 1957. 326 pp. In Yiddish Inscribed, covers worn and stained. Good. Hardcover .
From the library of Joachim Neugroschel with his pencil notes and underlining (266670) $50.00
91. Kowalski Isaac (editor). Vilna Almanac with a synopsis in English; (reprint of 1939 edition edited by A I Grodzenski). Moriah, 1992. 366 pp. + 48 pp. of ads, In Yiddish with synopsis in English filled with articles and pictures and ads. Very Good. Hardcover .
Foreword by Joseph Mlotek and Yonia Fain (268484) $18.00
92. Landau Zisa. Lider. New York: Inzel, 1937. 270 pp. covers worn and spine, crown and base of spine bumped, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (267497) $36.00
93. Lee Malka (inscribed). Kines fun undzer tsayt (Lamentations for Our Time). Aroysgegebn fun der Shrayber-Sektsye baym Ikuf, 1945. 157 pp. In Yiddish. inscribed by author, top of spine very torn. Good. Hardcover .
Lee wrote in German as a young girl, but switched to Yiddish when she emigrated to the United States in 1921. Her first published poem appeared in 1922, and she continued to write until 1972. Her poetry between 1945 and 1950 is about the pain of watching from a distance as her childhood home and family were destroyed during the Holocaust.(Wikipedia) (268586) $125.00
94. Leivick H (inscribed by). Complete Works by H. Leivick Volume 1 Poems Volume 2 Dramatic Poems. Posy Shoulson, 1940. 668 pp. +461 pp. spines worn , hinges started, In Yiddish, includes his masterpiece The Golem, inscribed to Isaac Bashevis Singer in both volumes. Good. Boards. (265527) $95.00
95. Lelchuk Bertha . Shotns oyf der zun. Posy Shoulson, 1938. 111 pp. inscribed by author, spine worn. Good. Hardcover . (266854) $15.00
96. Lestschinsky Jakob (redakteur). Schriften fur Wirtschaft und Statistik : Judisches Wissenschaftliches Institut. Sektion fur Wirtschaft und Statistik Band 1. Berlin: 1928. 262 + 34 pp. In Yiddish and German, crown and base of spine slightly bumped, slibrary number on spine and slight library mark on pastedown. Good +. Hardcover . (268753) $95.00
97. Levin, Shmarya. In milhome-tsayten: bleter fun a toge-bukh. NY: Federation of American Zionists, 1915. 317 pp.In Yiddish, hinge started. Good. Hardcover .
Zionist leader born in Russia, active in Germany ultimately did aliyah. (268121) $30.00
98. Lewin Isaac. Los Judios en la Polonia de Antano Yidn in altn Poyln : historise eseien. Buenos Aires: Union Central Isr, 1962. In Yiddish. 12mo 165 pp.dj torn. good. Hardback & DJ.
Band 160 fun di Bikher-Serye dos Poylishe Yidntum. (268592) $24.00
99. Liebman Isaac. Variations Selected Poems. self, 1944. 32 pp. In Yiddish. inscribed by author, large 8vo nice production, tears to base of spine, limited number 227 Good. Hardcover .
Frontispiece is a drawing of Isaac Liebman by Anna Walinska dated 1937. Each poem has a date at the end, ranging from 1922 to 1944. (267312) $30.00
100. Lubelski Benjamin. Yidn in Spanishn Birgerkrig 1936-1939; Jews in the Spanish Civil Wa 1936-1939. Leivick, 1984. 294 pp. crown and base of spine bumped, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265590) $30.00
101. Luit Tehilah Van. Mediene Remnants: Yiddish Sources in the Netherlands Outside of Amsterdam. Brill, 2009. 215 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (267626) $80.00
102. Luria Y. Dos Yiddishe Farlag Vochenblatt for Alle Yiddishe Interesse. Vilna: 1906. No 1-30, about 275 pp. paper yellowing but not brittle, new spine. Good +. Boards. (268738) $165.00
103. Mahler Raphael. Karaites: A Mediaeval Jewish Movement for Deliverance; (Karaymer: a yidische geule bevegung in mittelalter). NY: Schulman, 1947. In Yiddish 8vo 475 pp. Very Good. cloth. (268496) $25.00
104. Malgenitzky Yosef. Valstendeger Linyan Sidur Lebatai Sefer VeLaom. Philadelphia: Joseph Magil, 1904. 272 pp. plus several additional pages thanking subscribers (with names) from small towns throughout the USA ie Denver, Binghamton, Utica, Baltimore, etc. cloth taped spine with edges of boards bent. Good. Boards.
Prayers in Hebrew and Yiddish for the entire year and commentary at bottom in Yiddish, three photos of contemporary youth wearing tefillin with prayers on top of page , and sides in Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian and German (267006) $85.00
105. Manger Itzik. Lid un Balade. Itzik Manger Komitet,, 1952. 487 pp. hinge started neds retightening. Good-. Hardcover . (266980) $17.00
106. Mark B. Tragedia Zydowska W Literaturze Polskiej. Warsaw: Idysz Buch, 1950. 12mo 154 pp.In yiddish ex library with markings. good. wrapper. (268868) $15.00
107. Mark, Yudel . Peretz His Life and Work. NY: Peretz Centennial by the Educational Department of the Workman’s Circle, 1952. 32 pp. Very Good. stiff wrap. (267127) $18.00
108. Markish Peretz. Milchome Erster un Zweiter Bukh. Ykuf, 1956. 314 + 606 pp. sfep In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (268676) $36.00
109. Miller L. Neu un Alte Palastina Reise Blatter. NY: Wahrheit, 1912. 218 pp. In Yiddish spine very torn. lacks back cover, contains wonderful pictures of his journey to Palestine. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (266927) $36.00
110. Minkoff N B. Beim Rand; AT the Brink (Poems). self, 1945. 72 pp. inscribed by author, creases to cover, book is in Yiddish paper yellowing but not brittle, tears to spine. Good +. Cloth. (258877) $15.00
111. Miransky Peretz. Shures Shire ( Lider un Mesholim). Peretz, 1974. 251 pp In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (266991) $10.00
112. Mordecahi Ben. Kalman Naaranim Gekaliban Maaseh loch. Hebrew Publishing, 1929. 124 pp. Very Good-. Hardcover . (268087) $30.00
113. Mukdoni A . En Varsovia Y en Lodz Tomo 1; In Varshe un in Lodzsh : mayne bagegenish. Buenos Aires: Union Central Isr., 1955. 318 pp. In Yiddish , fore edge foxed. Good. Hardcover .
Number 110 of the series Poylishe Yidntum, bd. 110 (268600) $25.00
114. Mukdoni A . Oisland: En el extranjero. Buenos Aires: Union Central Isr., 1951. 341 pp. In Yiddish covers creased . Good +. Paperback.
The first chairman of YKUF was the non-Communist writer A. Mukdoni; (253002) $15.00
115. Mukdoni A. maine bagegenishn (mis encuentros). Buenos Aires: Central Farband, 1949. 303 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover .
Das Polnishe Yidntum band 50 (243431) $25.00
116. Mukdoni A. Yitshok Leybush Perets un dos yidishe teater/ I.L. Peretz and the Jewish Theatre. IKUF, 1949. 267 pp. Good. Hardcover . (266567) $18.00
117. Mukdoni Alexander inscribed. Teater. New York: 1927. 288 pp. hinges started tears along sides , tears along worn boards, inscribed by author. Good-. Boards.
Yiddish author, journalist and critic born in Russia (267474) $75.00
118. Die Neu Zeit. New York: Socialist Workers Party, 1898-1899. Issues 1-12 in Yiddish each issue about 40 pages,covers stained, tear to crown of spine. Good. library binding.
Articles on workers issues, socialism, Marxism, et al (265454) $96.00
119. Neugroschel Mendl. Shevotim-gezang vegn sandz un podhale. Epoche, 1947. 15 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268419) $27.00
120. Niger S. I L Peretz 1852-1952. Conf pro Cultura Judia, 1952. 665 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (266561) $25.00
121. Niger Sh foreword (Shloime Gilbert). Shloime Gilbert Dertseylungen un drames. Danetta, 1954. 336 pp. with long inscription not by Gilbert. Good. Hardcover . (266671) $25.00
122. Nomberg Hirsch David. Ertseylungen ( Erzahlungen) Erste Band. Klal, 1922. 137 pp. spine torn and taped spine. Good-. Boards.
A disciple of Isaac Leib Peretz, he helped resolve the struggle between Hebraists and Yiddishists at the Czernowitz Yiddish conference in 1908. After 1910 he engaged in politics and journalism. In 1916 he was a founder of the Polish People’s Party, and later was a member of the Polish Sejm. He was also president of the Society for Jewish Writers and Journalists. (267760) $23.00
123. Olgin M J. America. Olgin Memorial Committee, 1941. 237 pp. In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover .
Olgin was editor of the Morgen Freiheit & other Socialist Yiddish periodicals in the US & Russia. (268587) $18.00
124. Opatoshu; Joseph , H Leivick (editors). Zamlbicher 2 = Zamlbikher 2 Samlbicher 2 (1936). NY: 1937. 398 pp , covers worn, tears to covers and spine, In Yiddish. Good. Paperback.
Collection of poems and stories Includes chaim grade sutzkever segal etc (251733) $35.00
125. Opatoshu; Joseph , H Leivick (editors). Zamlbicher 3 = Zamlbikher 3 Samlbicher 3 (1938). NY: 1938. 398 pp , covers worn, tears to covers and spine, cover almost disbound , In Yiddish. Good. Paperback.
Collection of poems and stories (268635) $20.00
126. Opatoshu; Joseph , H Leivick (editors). Zamlbicher 4= Zamlbikher 4 Samlbicher 4 (1939). NY: 1939. 398 pp , covers worn, tears to covers and spine, stains to cover , In Yiddish. Good. Paperback.
Collection of poems and stories (265253) $30.00
127. Ostrowsky A N. Dertseylungen un drame Ersta Band. Tel Aviv: 1963. 141 pp. end papers discolored a bit In Yiddish. Good-. Hardcover . (267844) $25.00
128. Palatnik Rosa. 13 Dertseylungen. Rio Brasil: Monte Scopus, 1961. 169 pp tears to cover, lacks top part of spine . In Yiddish, inscribed by Palatnik Important Yiddish writer who gre up in Lublin and settled in Brazil in 1936.Solomon Liptzin comments: “The typical Palatnik story centers about a moment of truth in the life of Jews apparently successfully integrated in Brazil. There is a flashback to youthful years in the Old Country. There follow reminiscences of immigrant years of hard work until bread is assured and then increasing growth in affluence, a gradual realization that in the pursuit of wealth precious Jewish values were tossed aside, an effort, generally but not always successful, to return to the Jewish idealism still glimmering at subconscious levels of the soul” (Jewih women’s Archive) Good. Paperback. (266983) $75.00
129. Pasirstein A. Nigunim ranglen zikh : lider. 1954. 190 pp. In Yiddish inscribed by the author. Good. Hardcover . (266127) $25.00
130. Pasner Samuel. Yiddish English Letter Writer. Hebrew Publishing, 1960. 128 pp. In Yiddish and English. covers worn, crown and base of spine bumped a bit. Good. Hardcover . (268091) $15.00
131. Pater Yissachar. Yiddishe Musik un ihre Problemen. Peretz, 1985. 248 pp. In Yiddish . Good. Hardcover . (267825) $26.00
132. Paver Chaver (Einbinder Gershon). Gershun Meyer Dem Blinden’s. Chaver Paver Committee, 1958. 303 pp.In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265353) $10.00
133. Pawer Chawer. Gerszon W Ameryce. Idisz Buch, 1963. 477 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (265516) $25.00
134. Perelman, Samuel. La Science Universelle: Recueil Litteraie, Poetique et Philosophique De La Litterature Juive et Mondiale 7 Langues. Paris: Self Published, 1948. 303 pp. pages yellowing but not brittle , hinge starting. good. cloth.
Francais, Anglais, Allemand, Hebreu, Latin Yddisch et Polonais (268596) $18.00
135. Prilutzki N, Raisen Z, Weinreich M. Idisze filologie Yidishe Filologye; The Journal of Yiddish Philology. Warsaw: Farlag “Kult ur-Lige”, 1924. 398 pp. Band 1 parts 1-6 Good. Hardcover .
Active in the formation of YIVO in Poland (266947) $95.00
136. Rabinovitch Israel. Muzik bay Idn un Andere Eseyen oyf Muzikalishe Temes/ Jewish Music and Other Essays on Musical Topics. Montreal: Eagle, 1940. 210 pp. In Yiddish unusual book plate on free end paper. Very Good. Hardcover . (266568) $18.00
137. Radin David. Di Drei Barimar. Matones, 1940. 245 pp. In Yiddish slight foxing. Good. Hardcover . (268513) $36.00
138. Remarque Erich . Oyfen maariv-front kayn nais; Ojfn Majrew-Front Kejn Najs. Wilno: Klekina, 1930. 241 pp. title and last page photo copied, covers worn, wear to crown and base of spine,pages yellowed and edges some slight tears. Good +. Boards.
translated from the German by Isaac Bashevis Singer! graphic cover of soldier carrying wounded comrade across mine field (267933) $95.00
139. Rivkind Isaac. Der Kamf Kegn Azartshpiln Bay Yidn: A Shtudye in Finf Hundert Yor Yidishe Poezy un Kultur-Geshiekhte/ The Fight Against Gambling Among Jews: A Study of Five Centuries of Jewish Poetry and Cultural History. YIVO, 1946. 217pp. In Yiddish, wear along bottom of cover. Good. Hardcover . (266549) $20.00
140. Rivkind Isaac. Yidishe Gelt in Lebnsteyger Kultur-Geshikhte un Folk[l]or: A Lekskologishe Shtudye/ Jewish Money in Folkways Cultural History and Folklore: A Lexicological Study. AAJR, 1958. 303 pp. blue cloth, quarto, In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (268135) $20.00
141. Rollansky Samuel. Memuarn–filosofye–forshung : in der Yidisher literatur : antologye. Buenos Aires: Ateneo Literario en el IWO, 1984. 338 pp. In Yiddish Number 97 Good +. Hardcover .
Volume 97 (262252) $18.00
142. Rollasnky Samuel (Roshanski Shmuel). Idishe Literatur Idish Lebn. Buenos Aires: Ateneo Literario en el IWO, 1973. 622 pp (vol 1 and 2), 147 pp (vol 3), threee seperate volumes. Very Good. Hardcover . (267591) $30.00
143. Rollasnky Samuel director. Antologie Nusach Haskole. Buenos Aires: Ateneo Literario en el IWO, 1968. 268 pp. In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover .
Volume 36 (268709) $30.00
144. Rosenblatt H. Bebzik: dos lebn fun a Yidishn yingl. Aroysgegebn fun tsentral komitet fun Yidishe folk shuln,, 1940. 160 pp. some illustrations by Saul Raskin charming childrens book in Yiddish spines worn a bit. Very Good-. Hardcover . (266114) $55.00
145. Rosenfeld, Morris. Songs from the Ghetto. Boston: Copeland and Day, 1898. 115 pp. Prose trnsl by Leo Weiner. crown and base of spine bumped, English and German. good. cloth.
Heartbreaking Songs of Labor by the former tailor. (269066) $15.00
146. Rosenzweig A. Al Sof HaNeUrim On the threshold of youth. Yavneh, 1945. 106 pp. In Hebrew, for the bar mitzvah, the illustrations are quite wonderful and unusual. Good. Boards.
Edited by Nahum Gutman (266130) $40.00
147. Rubinstein Joseph. Hurban Poyln Polish Jewry – A Lament. CYCO, 1964. 250 pp. Long poem In Yiddish Inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover . (268500) $16.00
148. Rylin L editor. Etyudn iber der geshikhte fun der revolyutsyonerer bavegung: di epokhe fun industrieln kapitalizm. Emes, 1934. 524 pp, In Yiddish paper tanning but not brittle boards torn. Good-. Boards.
[Studies of the history of the revolutionary movement: the age of industrial capitalism] (266329) $30.00
149. Sacks A editor. Di Tsukunft Die Zukunft : a Jewish monthly magazine published by the Forward Assocation. [Yiddish periodical. Vol. 17, nos. 1-12, January – December 1912]; Science Literature and Socialism. Forward, 1912. 858 pp.In Yiddish new spine back cover water stains , wear to front cover. Good. Hardcover . (265275) $95.00
150. Saphire Saul. Der Baal Teshuvah. NY: Om, 1948. Novel in Yiddish 338 pages spine worn. Good. Cloth.
Father of William Safire (263875) $15.00
151. Sapiro Jacob. Quiet Lanes (Poems). Paris: Gelbard, 1953. 126 pp. back cover creased In Yiddish includes two songs. Good +. Paperback. (263874) $25.00
152. Schulner Dora. “Perzenlechkaitn in Yiddishn Lebn”. Schulner Book, 1963. 150 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (266544) $20.00
153. Schulstein M. A Leiter tsou der Zoun (Une echlee vers le soleil). Paris: Ofsnai, 1954. 237 pp.In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (258884) $15.00
154. Shatzky, Jacob. The History of the Jews in Warsaw Three Volumes In Yiddish. N.Y.: YIVO, 1947. In Yiddish; in three volumes.: Vol. I, 348 pp. Vol II, 297 pp. Vol III, 461 pp . good. Hardcover .
Volume One: From the Beginnings to the Uprising of 1831. Volume Two: From 1831 to the Uprising of 1863. Volume Three: From 1863 to 1896. (268773) $85.00
155. Shatzky, Jacob signed by. Moris Rozenfeld in likhṭ fun zayne briṿ. N.Y.: Astoria Press, 1936. 32 pp. lacks frontispiece, new wrappers. Very Good. Wrapper. (269573) $18.00
156. Shmeruk Chone (editor) Perl Joseph. Ma‘asiyot ve-’igrot mi-tsadikim amitiyim ume-anshe shelomenu/ Hasidic tales and letters. Israel Academy, 1969. 247 pp.in Hebrew, Very Good. Hardcover . (266548) $18.00
157. Shmeruk, Chone. Peretz’s Vision of Despair: Interpretation of Peretz’s Bay nackht oyfn altn mark and Critical Edition of the Play. NY: YIVO, 1971. In Yiddish. 8vo 362 pp.slight library marks. Very Good. cloth. (265452) $12.00
158. Simon Solomon. Dos Kluge Shnayderl/ Dos Kluge Shneiderl. Farlag Matones, 1933. 128 pp. In Yiddish extraordinary graphics by Isaac Friedlander. Good-. Boards. (266566) $35.00
159. Simon Solomon. Shmerl Nar: Di Geshikhte fun an Aumbakantn Held. Farlag Matones, 1931. 104 pp. wear to spine, lacks piece of spine at base, tears along side spine. Good. Boards.
Translated as the Wandering Beggar who as a simple fool performs miracles as he wanders the earth. (267368) $20.00
160. Singer I J. Chaver Nachman. NY: Meisel, 1938. 447 pp. In Yiddish translated into English as East of Eden. Good. Hardcover . (266562) $36.00
161. Singer I J. Di Brider Ashkenazy (The Brothers Ashkenazi). Matones, 1951. 669 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (267524) $36.00
162. Solotaroff Hillel ; Joel Entin. Geklibene shriften. NY: Publication Committee, 1924. three volumes with bookplate and pocket, and number on spine, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (269076) $25.00
163. Spektor Mordche . Der Yidisher Muzhik El Colonio Judio The Jewish Farmer. Ateneo Literario en el Iwo, 1972. Second Edition. 268 pp. slight stains to cover In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover .
Masterpieces of Yiddish literature Number 15 (267000) $15.00
164. Starkman, Moshe. Hemshekh antologye fun Amerikaner-Yidisher dikhtung, 1918-1943. : Farlag Hemshekh, 1945. 432 pp In Yiddish, covers worn. Good. Hardcover .
Each of the very many poets are presented with a photograph, a brief biography, a selection of poems and a bibliography. (265685) $24.00
165. Stowe Harriet. Onkel Tom’s Kebin oder di Shvartse Shklaven in Amerike/ Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Hebrew Publishing , 1911. 514 pp. translated into Yiddish, covers and spine worn and discolored, some fraying to covers, slight staining. Good-. Hardcover . (266819) $55.00
166. Strigler M . Georemt mitn vint : historisher roman fun yiddishn lebn in Poyln. –(Del Brazo con cel Viento) Novela Tomo 1 and 2. Central Farband, 1955. 280 + 198 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover .
Das Polnishe Yidntum Band 108+ 109 (266346) $36.00
167. Stryjkowski Julian ; David Sfard. Der loyf keyn Fragala; Bieg do Fragala. Warsaw: Yidish bukh,, 1955. 390 pp In Yiddish, ex library with pocket, lacks piece of cover and back of spine, hinge starting. Good-. Paperback.
Julian Stryjkowski (born Pesach Stark, 1905-1996) was a Polish journalist and writer, notable for his social prose of leftists character He was born April 27, 1905 in Stryj (modern Ukraine), to a family of Hasidic Jews. He graduated from the Faculty of Polish language and literature of the Lwów University and in 1932 started working as a teacher of Polish language in a gymnasium in Pock. Initially a Zionist, in 1934 he joined the Communist Party of Western Ukraine, for which he was arrested and imprisoned in 1935. Upon his release the following year he moved to Warsaw, where he started working as a journalist for various newspapers and a library clerk. About that time he also started his work on Polish translation of Céline’s Death on the Installment Plan. After the Polish Defensive War of 1939 he found a refuge in Soviet-occupied Lwów (modern Lviv, Ukraine), where he was among the journalists of Czerwony Sztandar, a Polish language propaganda newspaper and the only newspaper available to city’s inhabitants apart from the Pravda. After the end of Nazi-Soviet Pact and the outbreak of Operation Barbarossa through Tarnopol, Kiev and Stalingrad he escaped to Kuybyshev, where he tried to join the Polish II Corps. Unsuccessful, he moved to Uzbekistan, where he started working as a factory worker. On insistence of Wanda Wasilewska he was allowed by the Soviet authorities to move to Moscow, where he started working for the Wolna Polska weekly, the organ of Society of Polish Patriots, a communist and Soviet-backed shadow government of Poland. There he adopted the pen name of Julian Stryjkowski, which after the World War II became his official surname. (Wikipedia)
He returned to Poland in 1946 and became the head of Katowice branch of the Polish Press Agency. (266996) $17.00
168. Sutzkever Abraham (inscribed by). Tsaytike penemer: [poemes un lider, 1968-1970. Israel: Pereetz, 1970. 158 pp In Yiddish, long inscription. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266982) $30.00
169. Sutzkever Abraham (Zumoff Barnett). Laughter Beneath the Forest: Poems from Old and Recent Manuscripts. Ktav, 1996. 179 pp.bilingual edition Yiddish and English facing each other. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (267806) $30.00
170. Sutzkever Abraham. Di Fidlroyz: Poems 1970-1972. Di Goldene Keyt, 1974. 111 pp. inscribed in Yiddish by Sutzkever with a drawing similar to the cover, djs torn and some fading. Good. Boards and dj.
drawings by Marc Chagall. (268145) $150.00
171. Szalit, Rachel Marcus. Menschloch un szenen … sholom Aleichem Werke Mottel Pisi das Noznos Yingel Menselach un stzenes : 16 tzeichenungen tzu Shalom Aleichems werk “Motel Peisi dem haazzan’s jingel. Baleit-wort: [Baal Machschowes] [d.i. Isidor Eljaschew]; Menshelakh un stsenes : zekhtsen tseykhenungen tsu Sholem Aleykhems verk ” Motl Peysi dem hazens yinge” Berlin: Klal, 1922. 46 pp frontispiece and15 lithographs Yiddish; The first plate is yellowing; Spine is repaired cover is slightly worn and back cover worn and a bit discolored ; the rest of the lithographs are in good and clean condition. Rare. Good. boards.
Illustrations to Sholom Aleichem’s Menshen und Zenen.Painter and etcher born in Lithuanian in 1896, depicted Eastern European Jewish life. In 1916 she moved to Berlin where she exhibited with the artists of the Secession group,became a member of the November group. Moved to France with the advent of the Nazis. In 1942 she was arrested and murdered in a concentration camp. Her best-known works consist of lithographic illustrations to books by Mendele Mokher Seforim, Shalom Aleichem, Israel Zangwill, Heinrich Heine, and Martin Buber. (268662) $375.00
172. Treister L. Der Pastech Kenig The shepherd King. CYCO, 1955. 179 In Yiddish, seems to be inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover . (266910) $15.00
173. Trotzki Eliahu. Galuth Daichland (Impresiones sobre Alemania). Buenos Aires: Libertador, 1950. 8vo 206 pp. taped spine library mark tp In Yiddish. good. stiff wrap.
Holocaust survivor memoir. In Yiddish Dos Polishe Yidentum number 69 (266835) $45.00
174. Tsherikover, A. and Y. Efroykin, edited by. Oyfn Sheydveg: Zamlbikher Ershter Zamlung, August 1939/ Oifn Scheidweg – Au Carrefour: Cahiers. Paris: 1939. 240 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (268678) $25.00
175. Unger Menashe. Reb Yisroel Baal-Shem-Tov. Hassidut, 1963. 412 pp In Yiddish, inscribed by author, with slight library mark. Good. Hardcover . (266564) $10.00
176. Vladeck Baruch (Yeshurun Yefin editor). n leben un shafn. Forwards, 1936. 437 pp. age toning to back end paper In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (267447) $36.00
177. Walt Abraham. Lider Un Poemen (1888 – 1938) [3 VOLUMES: I, II, III]. Forwards , 1938. 352; 350; 382 pp stamp of former owner and title pages, various levels of foxing/browning to three volumes including fore edges, end papers some pages reading copy. Good-. Hardcover . (268010) $85.00
178. Weinreich Max. Der Veg Tzu Unser Yugnt: Yesodos, Metodn, Problemen fun Yidisher Yugnt-Forshung/ The Way to Our Youth: Elements, Methods, and Problems of Jewish Youth Research. Wilno: YIVO, 1935. 309 pp. paper yellowing but not brittle, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (267854) $55.00
179. Weinreich Max. History of the Yiddish Language Four Volumes (in Yiddish). NY: YIVO, 1973. vol 1 353 pp. ,vol 2 397 pp.,vol 3 382 pp., vol 4 393 pp. Very good. Hardcover .
Max Weinreich’s History of the Yiddish Language is a classic of Yiddish scholarship and is the only comprehensive scholarly account of the Yiddish language from its origin to the present. A monumental, definitive work, History of the Yiddish Language demonstrates the integrity of Yiddish as a language, its evolution from other languages, its unique properties, and its versatility and range in both spoken and written form. (From Yale UP blurb) (266288) $136.00
180. Weinstein Bernard. Di Idishe Yunyons in Amerika: Bleter Geshikhte Un Erinerungen. Aroysgegeben fun di Faraynigte Idishe Geverkshaften,, 1929. 571 pp. hinge starting. Good +. Hardcover . (266997) $15.00
181. Winograd M. Meine Yoren (My Years). NY: Pader, 1925. In Yiddish appears to be inscribed, 36 pp. cover separated from spine, bookplate. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268597) $18.00
182. Wolf Josef . Lainendik Peretzn.– ( Dos Poylishe Yidntum ; 35 ). Buenos AIres: Tsentral-farband fun Poylishe Yidn in Argentine, Buenos Aires, 1948. 111 pp. inscription on tp believe not by author. Good. Hardcover . (268554) $32.00
183. Yablokoff, Herman. Arum der Welt Mit Yiddish Theatre (Around the World with Yiddish Theatre) Two Volumes. NY: Shulsinger, 1968. in Yiddish.689+726 pp.inscribed by author, library mark title pages and number on spine, dj torn. good libr marks. Hardback & DJ. (267030) $45.00
184. Yanovsky Sh. Ershte yorn fun yidishn frayhaytlekhn sotsializm : oytobiografishe zikhroynes fun a pioner un boyer fun der yidisher anarkhistisher bavegung in England und Amerike. Freie Arbeiter Shtime, 1948. 279 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (266902) $36.00
185. Yardeini Mordecai . Yiddish Poets in Song. Jewish Music Alliance, 1966. 346 pp. In Yiddish, covers worn, slight tear along hinge. Very Good. Hardcover . (266547) $20.00
186. Year Book Dedicated to Leibush Lehrer. Sholem Aleichem Folk Institute, 1965. 62 pp. in Yiddish 20 pp. in English and many ads slight library mark. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269266) $40.00
187. Yiddish Scientific Institute Yidisher ṿisnshafṭlekher insṭiṭuṭ. Studies in Philology Filologishe shrifṭn. Third Volume. Wilno: Vilner Farlag b kletskin, 1929. 624 pp. in Yiddish with English summary of articles ,lacks part of spine at bottom, wear along sides of boards,paper yellowing but not brittle, hinges started, former owner’s name on fep . Good-. Boards.
Some rather interesting and amazing articles. (266946) $75.00
188. Yiddish Writers’ Project of the WPA. Di Yidishe Landsmanshaften fun Nyu York/ The Jewish Landsmanschaften of New York. Tsugegreyt durkh der Yidisher Shreyber-Grupe oyf’n Federalen Shreyber Proyekt Works Progress Administration in the City of New York. Peretz Yiddish Writer’s Union, 1938. 397 pages in Yiddish, piece of English title page torn off, hinge started,slight library stamp fep. Good. Hardcover . (268165) $78.00
189. Yidisher Teatr in Europa tsvishen biede Velt-milchome (Materialn tzu der geschichte fun Yidishn Teatr) Jewish Theater Between the Two World Wars: Poland. Congress for Jewish Culture, 1946. 515 pp. In Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266572) $25.00
190. Zak Abraham (inscribed by). Awrohom Zak – yovel bukh} Jovel Buch. Jubilee book on the occasion of the commemoration of his 85th birthday. Abraham Zak Y su Jubileo Literario. Assn Pro Cultura, 1978. 326 pp. In Yiddish tears to spine. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (265522) $36.00
191. Zeitlin Aaron. Literarishe un Filosofishe Eseyen Literary and Philosophical Essays. Congress for Jewish Culture, 1980. 390 pp. In Yiddish Intro by Isaac Bashevis Singer and a postscript by Elie Wiesel Remembering a Friend. Very Good. Hardcover . (266990) $10.00
192. Zevin Israel. The Parables of the Preacher of Doubno Two Volumes. Tarshak, 1925. 318+ 318 pp. In Yiddish, covers a bit worn. Good +. Hardcover . (265514) $30.00
193. Zhitlowsky Dr Ch editor. Dos naye leben a monthly magazine. Melbourne: Dos Naye Lebn, 1941August 1912. Vol IV no 8 31 pp + ads, tears to cover lacks part of back cover, stains internally In Yiddish. Good +. Paperback. (267220) $25.00
194. Zylberzweig, Zalmen( Zylbercwajg Zalmen) compiled by . Leksikon fun Yidishn Teater: Erster Band Lexicon of the Yiddish Theatre Volume 1. New York: Hebrew Actors Union/elisheva, 1931. 3-800 pp. (half pages),, In Yiddish, front and back hinges started, bottom of spine slightly bumped. Good. Hardcover . (265003) $30.00