1. Al-Kumissi, Daniel. Commentarius in Librum Duodecim Prophetarum Section IX. Mekize Nirdamim, 1957. 82 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265265) $20.00
2. Almanakh Fun Di Yidishe Shrayber in Yisrael: Almanach of the Yiddish Writers in Israel. Organisation of the Yiddish Writers and Journalists in Israel Jidišer Šraiber-Un Zšurnalistn-Farein in Jisroel,, 1967. 360 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (265133) $25.00
3. Aronin Ben. Hayim Pumpernickel. United Synagogue, 1948. 56 pp. In Hebrew classic children’s book. Good +. Hardcover .
Aronin was a Chicago Jewish community leader and wrote many popular titles for children (265832) $12.00
4. Asch, Sholem. East River. NY: Laub, 1946. 514 pp ex library with book plate and pocket, In Yiddish. good. Hardcover .
Jews and Christians in NYC in the 1920s-1930s. Wonderful neglected writer, stirring descriptions. (265756) $10.00
5. Avidan Paul. Practical Poems. Thirtieth Century, 1973. 127 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265243) $20.00
6. Avnon Yitzhak. Olam HaYeled. Kitavim, 1951. 246 pp. charming illustrations for children’s book cover worn. Good. Boards.
Illustrations by Abraham Abadi (265130) $45.00
7. Bahya ben Joseph ibn Pakuda a.k.a. Rabbeinu Bahya; Emanuel Baumgarten (transl.). Bachjae filii Josephi Librum de officiis cordium a Jehuda fill. Tibonis ex arabica lingua in hebraicum translatum (Sefer Torat Hovat Ha-Levavot Habru Be-Lashon Arabi. Rabbi Bahya Ha-Dayan Bar Joseph b. Bakuda Me-‘Ir Cordova. Targum Me-Lashon Arabi Le-Ivri Rav Yehuda b. Tibbon Memagdol YRHI” S”ZL. U-me-Arabi le-lashon ashkenazi Ha-Hakham Mendl Boymgarten Me-‘Ir Kramsir Y’A”A). Wien: adalbert della torre, 1854. 152 pp. Half cloth over paper covered boards.. Corner boards worn and torn along edges few creased pages, slight foxing. Good. Boards. (265274) $125.00
8. Banai Margalit. Ben ha-shekh. Hotsaʼat sefarim Ḳarni, 1962. Second Edition. 39 pp. photos by Shlomoh Soriano, in Hebrew, sotry for children of Bedouin child. Good. Boards. (265297) $36.00
9. (Beckley, West Virginia) Shinedling, Abraham . History of the Beckley Jewish Community (Beckley, West Virginia) and of Congregation Beth El (The Beckley Hebrew Association) (including Raleigh and Fayette Counties, West Virginia) (1895 to 1955). Biggs-Johnston-Withrow, 1955. 205 pp. slight library mark on free end paper. Good +. Hardcover . (265269) $30.00
10. Ben-Menahem, N (editor). Areshet: Sefer shanah shel le-heker ha-sefer ha-Ivri G/ Aresheth: An Annual of Hebrew Booklore Volume Two. Jerusalem: HaRav Kook, 1960. 448 pp. dj torn In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265263) $15.00
11. Berman, Nancy, curator. A Walk Through the Past. LA: HUC Skirball Museum, 1974. Exhibition catalog. 8vo 75 pp. Collection of different objects, Near Eastern and Jewish. good. stiff wrap. (265964) $15.00
12. BiYoray Hachasidut L’Nach Ketuvim. Kook, 2000. 472 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265442) $25.00
13. BiYoray Hachasidut L’Nach Neviim. Kook, 2000. 496 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265443) $25.00
14. Black, Mary. Beyond the Golden Door: A brief history of the Jews of New York. Tel Aviv: Beth Hatefutsoth, 1978. Filled with photographs. In English and Hebrew. oblong 8vo 75 pp. good. wrapper. (265963) $10.00
15. Bridger David. Der Onheyber. Farlag Matones, 1947. 140 pp. In Yiddish covers worn fep missing. Good. Hardcover .
Charming black and white illustrations by Note Kozlovsky (265401) $17.00
16. Bromberg A. MiGedolai Hassadim Sefer Daled the Rabbis of Alexander their lives and biographies. Jerusalem: Center for Hasidism, 1954. 157 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Boards. (265411) $48.00
17. Central Conference of American Rabbis. Tefilot Yisrael The Union Prayer Book published by the Ritual Committee; As adopted by the Central Conference of American Rabbis. NY: Bloch, 1892. Part One The Sabbath and the Three Festivals 260 pp., Part Two Appendix Responsive Readings of Psalms Ethical Readings 140 pp. hinges started lacks pieces of spine, Kaufmann Kohler’s copy(his book plate) purchased from a college library,embossed stamp title page. good. Boards.
Prayer book was almost immediatley recalled to follow classical guidelines of Reform Judaism and new edition published 1895. Kohler was an important Reform Rabbi and author. (265797) $950.00
18. Chamiel Haim editor. Abney Hasoham A collection of poems by Samuel ibn Sasson. Jerusalem: Sura, 1965. 113 pp. sfep In Hebrew. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265396) $18.00
19. Chavel, Rabbi Charles translaot Maimonides . The Commandments sefer Ha Mitzvoth of Maimonides. Soncino, 1967. In one volume, dj torn the Positive Commandments 305 pages and the Negative Commandments 447 pages. Good +. Hardcover . (265180) $40.00
20. Chmelnitzki, Melech,. Ru un Umru. Ignatoff, 1948. 127 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (265432) $22.00
21. Drei Doroth Lider fun Beryl Broder. Margulies, 1957. 108 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover .
Poems of songs of Baer Margulies (265389) $35.00
22. Even Zahar Itamar. E’Onim BeSefrut. Misrad HaHinuch. 85 pp. dj worn and torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265445) $20.00
23. Feinberg L inscribed by. Der farmishpeter doyr: roman in fir teyln/The Doomed Generation (A Novel in Verse). Marstin, 1954. 335 pp. inscribed copy in Yiddish, Good. Hardcover . (265271) $14.00
24. Fikman Jacob (Fichman) Yaʻaḳov Fikhman. Maʻanit : sefer limud u-miḳra sefer shanei. Tel Aviv: Moledet, 1935. 146 pp. In Hebrew, charming illustrations hinge starting, scarce title. Good +. Boards. (265338) $150.00
25. Financial Report of the Executive of the Jewish Agency for Oct 1934-March 1937 submitted to the XX th Zionist Congress at Zurich. Jewish Agency, 1937. 103 pp. lack cover, back cover torn, slight library mark and number on title page. Good-. Wrapper. (265315) $25.00
26. fishman Jacob. Vierzige Yahr Folksbiene. Grenich, 1955. 205 pp. many picutres of the theater company, In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265410) $47.00
27. Die Freie Gesellschaft; a montly magazine devoted to literature and discussion of social problems. NYC: Freie Arbeiter Stimme Group, January -June 1911. 376 pp. , six issues of the periodical, hinges need repair, few loose pages . Good-. Hardcover .
No 1-no. 6 Volume II (265409) $85.00
28. Freimann J Judah he-Hasid; Jehuda Wistinetzki;. Sefer Ḥasidim : ʻal pi nosaḥ ktav yad asher be-Parma = Das Buch der Frommen. Frankfurt-am-Main: Wahrmann, 1924. 537 pp. Good. Boards. (265276) $75.00
29. Fridman Kalmen. Luchot (Calendars) Shirim veReshemot. Ugdon, 1964. 158 pp. In Yiddish and Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (265391) $20.00
30. Geismar Otto. Hagadah shel Pesach; Seder Haggadah shel Pesach. Berlin: Yalkut, 1927. Covers lightly soiled, new spine. Good. Boards.
Bound in original yellow cloth with front cover illustration depicting the breaking of the chains of slavery towards a new dawn; black and white modernist ‘stick-figure’ Illustrations by Otto Geismar: “The Geismar illustrations are among the most unusual ever to adorn a Hagadah text. ” (Yerushalmi 147-150) (265139) $375.00
31. Genachowski Dov. Commentarius in Tractatum Yoma, Auctore R. Eliaqim (Saec. XII) ad Fiem Codicis Monacensis edidit Frefatione et Notis Instruxit. Mekize Nirdamim, 1964. 267 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265258) $25.00
32. Gilboa David. Old Safad – Pictures and Sketches. Daat, 1953. Folder of 4 tipped in sketches and colour frontis plate, spine very torn and worn, With Hebrew and English commentary on the work, large work. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (265449) $27.00
33. Gold Ben. Menchen. Guild Trades, 1948. 256 pp in Yiddish with illustrations by Gropper, Good-. Cloth. (265273) $10.00
34. Goldwasser Edwin. Yiddish-English lessons. Heath, 1916. 249 pp. for immigrants. Good. Hardcover . (265357) $45.00
35. Greenberg Eliezer. Central Motives and Motivations in H Leivick’s Works (In Yiddish). CYCO, 1961. 39 pp..covers worn inscribed by Greenberg ,with index card of comments by Greenberg also, In Yiddish. Good. Boards.
edited treasury of Yiddish Stories with Irving Howe in 1954 (265414) $30.00
36. Halevi Rav Aharon. Sefer Hachinuch (on the 613 Mitzvot). Eshkol. In Hebrew, 399 pp. inscription in pen on fep. Very Good. Hardcover . (265429) $25.00
37. Halperin Rebecca. Ziv Ma’asaf Shnati shel Bet Hasefer Hagevoah. New York: 1923. 53 pp. ex library with markings. Good. Wrapper. (265650) $18.00
38. Helzel, Florence B. Narrative Imagery; Artists’ Portfolios. Berkeley: Judah L. Magnes Museum, 1991. 111 pp. Includes an essay by Jane Levy, “Portraits and Cityscapes: Two Portfolios by Hermann Struck.” Very Good. Paperback. (265943) $15.00
39. Hertz J S. Hirsh Lekert. Farlag Unser Tsait, 1952. 136 pp In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265259) $15.00
40. Hirshovitz Abarham. Minhage Yeshurun (Idishe minhogim). Vilna: Garber, 1914. 270 pp hinge started . In Yiddish Hirshovitz was a Rabbi in Pittsburgh. Good-. Hardcover . (265399) $40.00
41. Horovitz H S. Mechilta D’Rabbi Ismael Cum Variis Lectionibus Et Adnotationibus. Bamberger, 1960. In Hebrew 359 pp. tears to top side of spine, pencil annotated in Hebrew in margins. Good. Hardcover . (265131) $18.00
42. Idelsohn, Abraham. Sefer Ha Shirim. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1922. In Hebrew, filled with songs. lacks part of spine , covers worn , bookplate 84 pp. good. cloth. (265291) $15.00
43. In memoria di Angelo Sacerdoti: La comunita israelitica di roma. Roma: Istituto romano di arti grafiche di tumminelli, 1936. 129 pp. number taped to spine and slight library mark, lower part of cover and fep lacking, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Wrapper. (265339) $10.00
44. Jacobson Jacob Hirsch. 450 Gebete und Lieder fur die israelitische Jugend jedes Alters in Schule und Haus, zur Befestigung des Religionsunterrichts. Leipzig: Fritsche, 1847. 142 pp, new spine, decorated boards, library marks from Bibl und Verein Isr Lehrer Frankfurt am Main bound with Katechetischer Leitfaden beim Unterricht in der jisraelitischen Religion, gleichzeitig Konfirmandenbuchlein fur die jisraelitische Jugend …Fritasche 1852 32 pp. Fair. Boards.
War Rabbiner und Prediger in Belgrad und spater Marienwerder (265835) $100.00
45. Janasowicz Isaac (editor). Cinco Anos de Vida Comunitaria Judia En Buenos Aires 1958-1962. Buenos Aires: 1963. 710 pp. hinges started some library mark and number on spine, book is in Yiddish. wear to covers and crown bumped. Very Good. Hardcover . (265424) $27.00
46. Jewish Agency . The Jewish Evidence Before the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine Excerpts from the Official Minutes. Jewish Agency, 1947. 45 pp covers worn, crease to cover. Good +. Wrapper. (265316) $25.00
47. Jewish Studies Essays in Honour of the Very reverend Dr. Gustav Sicher, Chief Rabbi of Prague. Prague: 1, 1955. 111 pp. slight library marks. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (265360) $10.00
48. Joseph Karas Commentar Zum Buche Josua Und Nachtrage Zum Commentar Uber Des Buch Der richter; (Peyrush R’ Yosef Kara al Neviim Reshonim; Makor, 1972. 209 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (265284) $25.00
49. Kamenetski, N. Die Arbeter-shul: lernbukh farn fertn yor. New York: International Workers Order, 1934. 208 pp. spine worn and torn, with new label, covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (265349) $95.00
50. Kapelov I. Amolike Yaren. Iberlebungen Fun a Yidish Ingel in Der Alter Haym. Illustriert Fun Tadres Geler. Farlag Matones, 1931. 208 pp.boards worn, book plate. Very Good. Boards. (265290) $25.00
51. Katz, Jacob. Out of the Ghetto: The Social Background of Jewish Emancipation, 1770-1870. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, , 1973. 271 pp. Very good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265696) $6.00
52. Kevod ḥakhamim : yotse le-or le-ragle ḥag yovel ha-shivʻim shanah li-khevod … Dov Aryeh ha-Kohen Leṿinṭhal, Philadelphia: B’nai Abraham, 1935. 146 + 29 pp. In Hebrew and English, may be signed by him-has book plate of committee. Good +. Hardcover .
In 1891 B’nai Abraham, along with three other synagogues in the area, brought Rabbi Bernard L. Levinthal from Lithuania to the United States to serve as the third rabbi of the congregation. Rabbi Levinthal came to B’nai Abraham after the death of its previous rabbi, Rabbi Eleazar Kleinberg, who was his father-in-law. Though officially the rabbi of B’nai Abraham, Rabbi Levinthal actually functioned more as the unofficial Chief Rabbi of Philadelphia. By the early 20th century he was a frequent speaker throughout the city and only attended services at B’nai Abraham intermittantly, although he continued to hold the pulpit on the High Holidays and other occasions. When in attendance at the synagogue, Rabbi Levinthal gave his sermon in Yiddish. (Bnai Abraham web site) (265416) $25.00
53. Klemig, Roland (editor). Jews in Germany Under Prussian Rule. Berlin: Preussischer Kulturbesitz, 1984. large 8vo 125 pp. spine owrn. Good +. wrapper.
Exhibition catalog. (265965) $15.00
54. Kobez Al Yad ; Berlin: Mekizei Nirdamim/Kauffmann, 1899. 55 pp. In Hebrew . Very Good-. Hardcover . (265358) $45.00
55. Kobez Al Yad ; Tom VI (XVI) Pars I and Pars II. Mekizei Nirdamim, 1966. 552 pp. In Hebrew two volumes. Very Good. Hardcover . (265332) $42.00
56. Kobez Al Yad ; Tom VIII (XVIII). Mekizei Nirdamim, 1975. 497 pp. In Hebrew . Very Good. Hardcover . (265333) $30.00
57. Kobez Al Yad ; Tom X (XX). Mekizei Nirdamim, 1982. 322 pp. In Hebrew . Very Good. Hardcover . (265334) $30.00
58. Kobez Al Yad ; Tom XI (XXI). Mekizei Nirdamim, 1985. 288 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265330) $20.00
59. Kobez Al Yad ; Vol. IX (xix). Mekizei Nirdamim, 1979. 350 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265262) $15.00
60. Korman Ezra (editor). Yidishe dikhterins: antologye. Chicago Detroit: Stein, 1928. 390 pp. In Yiddish , covers worn, crown and base of spine slightly bumped. Good +. Hardcover .
Important anthology of women poets with small photos of the poets. Includes Kadia Molodows, Anna Margolin, Rachel Korn, and Celia Dropkin. Also includes a bibliography of 232 titles. (265237) $100.00
61. Krochmal Nachman Rawidowicz, Simon [Ed.]. Kitvei Rebbi Nachman Krochmal: Writings of Nachman Krochmal. Ararat, 1961. 238+525 pages spine bit faded otherwise in good shape In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (265301) $50.00
62. Kupfer Efraim. Responsa et Decisiones: Ad Fidem Codicis Bodleianensis 692. Mekize Nirdamim,, 1973. In Hebrew 348 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (265440) $16.00
63. Lapid Shulamiy. Gai-Oni. Keter, 1982. 266 pp. covers worn pen writing fep. Good. Paperback. (265244) $15.00
64. Leo Judah Messer. The Book of the Honeycomb’s Flow: Sepher Nopheth Suphim First Published at Mantua, 1475/76. Cornell, 1983. 603 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265202) $10.00
65. Lewin, Isaac. Personalities and Historical Events. Jerusalem: Kook, 1988. 174 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (265329) $20.00
66. Lewisohn S und Kaplan J. Erets kedumim kolel gelilot Erets Yisra’el./ Erez Kedumim: Das Land des Altertums, oder, Biblische Erdbeschriebung Alphabetisch Geordnet . Wilna: Romm, 1839. 187+ 262 pp. slight foxing leather spine worn and cracked boards worn Hebrew and Greek terms explanation given in Rashi script,three separate title pages and last one gives Romm as publisher, first title page in Hebrew and Russian, second in Hebrew and third in German. Romm was famous as a publishing house for the Talmud edition. Good. Boards. (265405) $165.00
67. Libman Y. In Gezang tsum Folk. Wochenblat, 1953. 126 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265260) $12.00
68. Luk H T Kit-Rotsch Edward. Sifrah shel eretz Yisrael. Jerusalem: 1923. 267 pp. + adds, ex library. Good. Hardcover . (265649) $20.00
69. Lutzky A. A bukh tsum lebn : sefer la-ḥayim. NY: 1948. 317 pp. inscribed by the author, collection of poems in Yiddish, covers worn. Good. Hardcover . (265426) $17.00
70. Makhshoves Baal. Geklibene Verk/ Selected Works. Congress for Jewish Culture, 1953. 336 pp covers worn. Good. Cloth. (265895) $15.00
71. Malgenitzky Yosef. Valstendeger Linyan Sidur Lebatai Sefer VeLaom. Philadelphia: Joseph Magil, 1904. 272 pp. plus several additional pages thanking subscribers (with names) from small towns throughout the USA ie Denver, Binghamton, Utica, Baltimore, etc. cloth taped spine with edges of boards bent. Good. Boards.
Prayers in Hebrew and Yiddish for the entire year and commentary at bottom in Yiddish, three photos of contemporary youth wearing tefillin with prayers on top of page , and sides in Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian and German (265300) $125.00
72. Masliansky J. Yiddish Sermons for Sabbaths and Holy Days. Turberg, 1908. 176 pp crown and base of spine torn, In Yiddish, stains to covers. Good. Hardcover . (265395) $8.00
73. Mazar Benjamin. Canaan and Israel Historical Essays. Jerusalem: Mosad, 1974. 320 pp. In Hebrew, sfep . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265364) $17.00
74. Melech Jacob editor. Die Naye Welt. 1909+1910. 143 + 162 pp.In Yiddish periodical hinges started. Good. Hardcover . (265390) $32.00
75. Mielziner Ella. Moses Mielziner 1828-1903 A Biography with a Bibliography of his writings; with a reprint of his Slavery Amongst the Ancient Hebrews and other works. 1931. 254 pages crown and base of spine slightly bumped covers worn, inscribed by the author. Good +. Hardcover . (265289) $36.00
76. Miscellaneous No. 2 (1940) Palestine Land Transfer Regulations Letter to the Secretary General of the League of Nations London February 28, 1940. London: HMSO, 1940. 10 pp. slight library mark, restricting land sales of Arab lands based on Zones, Good. Wrapper.
Cmd. 6180 (265314) $65.00
77. Moos H M. Mortara: Or the Pope and His Inquisitors. Cincinnati: Bloch, Israelite Office, 1860. 171 pp. end papers heavily foxed with some foxing throughout book, tears to crown of spine, library bookplate and signature of Jesse Weil. Good-. Hardcover .
Singerman 1675; H M Moos was the literary editor of The Israelite, published novels in the magzine and then published them in books form. Edgardo Mortara ( August 27, 1851 – March 11, 1940) was born Jewish, who became the center of an international controversy when he was taken from his Jewish parents by authorities of the Papal States and raised as a Catholic. The church would not surrender him back to his parents and his faith. The seizure of the boy followed his emergency baptism by a domestic servant during a serious infantile illness.He ultimately became a priest. (265361) $225.00
78. Mosheh ben Natan, ha-Kohen.; Moses Sofer. Seder Hagadah shel Pesach, haʻataḳah meduyeḳet meha-hagadah she-katav ṿe-tsiyar Mosheh bar Natan ha-Kohen bi-shenat taf kuf ayin vav … le-shem … Mosheh Sofer . . Berlin: Kohen/Teubner, 1924. Six illustrated pages including cover, 19 recto pages Facsimile of an illustrated manuscript, brown marks on some corners from charoset? stains to boards, needs new spine charming color illustrations. Good. Boards.
Yudlov 2928. Yaari 1978 The Judeo-German notes in the text and the illustrations are the works of the copyist Moses b. Nathan ha-Cohen.Reprint was originally published in 1816.
79. Die Neu Zeit. New York: Socialist Workers Party, 1898-1899. Issues 1-12 in Yiddish meach issue about 40 pages,covers stained, tear to crown of spine. Good. library binding.
Articles on workers issues, socialism, Marxism, et al (265454) $96.00
80. Niger S. Yiddish Writers of the 20th Century Essays Volume 1 and 2. Congress for Jewish Cylture, 1972. 405 pp. + 344 pp In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (265422) $30.00
81. North Percy. Max Weber: American Modern. Jewish Museum, 1982. 118 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (265892) $15.00
82. Opatoshu; Joseph , H Leivick (editors). Zamlbicher 2 = Zamlbikher 2 Samlbicher 2 (1936). NY: 1937. 398 pp , covers worn, tears to covers and spine, In Yiddish. Good. Paperback.
Collection of poems and stories Includes chaim grade sutzkever segal etc (251733) $35.00
83. Opatoshu; Joseph , H Leivick (editors). Zamlbicher 34= Zamlbikher 4 Samlbicher 4 (1939). NY: 1939. 398 pp , covers worn, tears to covers and spine, stains to cover , In Yiddish. Good. Paperback.
Collection of poems and stories (265253) $30.00
84. Patt Emmanuel. In Gerangl: Yaakov Pat un Zayn Dor. Shulsinger, 1971. 639 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover . (265367) $17.00
85. Paver Chaver (Einbinder Gershon). Gershun Meyer Dem Blinden’s. Chaver Paver Committee, 1958. 303 pp.In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (265353) $10.00
86. Piepkorn Arthur (inscribed). Historical Prism Inscriptions of Ashurbanipal I: Editions E, B1-5, D, and K [The Oriental Institute of The University of Chicago – Assyriological Studies, No. 5]. Chicago, 1933. 106 pp. inscribed to Cyrus Gordon in 1933, spine torn. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (265653) $55.00
87. Rabinowitz, L. The Social Life of the Jews of Northern France in XII-XIV Centuries. as Reflected in the Rabbinical Literature of the Period. NY: Hermon Press, 1972. 268 pp. second edition, covers worn slight tear to dj. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (265450) $17.00
88. Reflections on the Bible Selected Studies of the Bible Circle in memory of Yishai Ron. Am Oved, 1973. 227 pp. book plate. Very Good. Hardcover . (265257) $25.00
89. Rhind W G. The Tabernacle in the Wilderness; The Shadow of Heavenly Things. Three Engravings, coloured, and inlaid with gold, silver, and brass, according to the texts of scripture: With explanatory notes. London: Bagster, 1842. 35 pp. + appendix ;half bound (spine and corners) all binding cloth, and three colored plates, covers worn stained.slightly discolored and blotchy, cloth, corner pages bumped slightly, one particular color (brown) has transferred and slightly stained the facing page of Camp at Rest , seen also on pp. 27 Israel Marching. Good. Boards.
First edition (262957) $875.00
90. Rosenbach A S W . An American Jewish Bibliography: Being A List of Books and Pamphlets by Jews or Relating to Them.Until 1850 (American Jewish Historical Society # 30). AJHS, 1926. 500 pp. Emanuel Celler’s copy. Good +. Hardcover . (265356) $36.00
91. Sefer zikaron LeSofrei Yisrael HaChayim Etanu Keyo, Warsaw: 1890. 208 pp. title pages some soiling, book plate, book is in Hebrew, title taped to spine. Good. Boards. (265431) $45.00
92. Shabtai, Edna. For Love is as Strong as Death. Jerusalem: Keter, 1986. 238 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Paperback. (265247) $15.00
93. Shalom Porush. Encyclopedia of Hasidism Vol 1 Works (Letters Aleph to Tet). Kook, 1980. 722 pp. In Hebrew dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265438) $30.00
94. Singer, Isaac Bashevis . ha-Naḥalah The Estate. tel Aviv: Poalim, 1976. First printing. 286 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Paperback. (265404) $17.00
95. Singer, Isaac Bashevis . ha-Naḥalah The Estate. tel Aviv: Poalim, 1976. First printing. 286 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Paperback. (266342) $17.00
96. Sisterhood of Mikve Israel-Emanuel (Netherlands Antilles) . Recipes from the Jewish Kitchens of Curacao. Drukkerij Scherpenheuvel N.V, 1990. fifth printing. 100 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (265808) $22.00
97. Societe des Etudes Juives. Revue des Etudes Juives; Tome Vingt Troisieme et Vingt Quatrieme. Durlacher, 1891-1892. 320 + 320 pp, two years new hinges . Good-. library binding. (265335) $55.00
98. Stern, Mendel Bar. Kochbe Jizchak; Eine Sammlung ebraischer Aufsatze,eregitischen und poetischen Inhalts, zur Forderung des ebraischen Sprachstudiums. Wien: Edlen von Schmid, 1847. 108 pp. mostly in Hebrew with some German , some staining throughout but textis totally legible. Good condition. Boards. (265294) $10.00
99. Tarshish A. Rav Baruch HaLevi Epstein Baal Torah Temimim. Kook, 1967. 189 pp. In Hebrew dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265444) $20.00
100. Tibawi A L. The Islamic Pious Foundations in Jerusalem: Origins, History and Usurpation by Israel. Islamic Cultural Centre, 1978. 54 pp. Good. Boards. (265328) $9.00
101. Wager Moshe and Dickstein Paltiel. P’tsu’yei P’turin: Perek b’Hitpatchut Dieni Avodah ba Yishuv Ha Ivri B’Yameinu; (Compensation for dismissal A chapter in the development of labor law in thenew Jewish settlement in Palestine. Jerusalem: Mass, 1940. 193 pp.ex library. Good. Boards. (265648) $28.00
102. Wertheim Ph. sektr der judischen Gemeinde Berlin. Kalender und Jahrbuch auf das Jahr 5617 fur die judischen Gemeinden Preussens. Berlin: Veit, 1857. 156 pp. library stamps tp covers worn taped title to spine. Good. Boards. (265207) $45.00
103. Wise Isaac. Daily Prayers. Bloch, 1868 (copyright 1857). 316 pp. wear to covers and around spine, lacks piece of crown of spine, wear to spine, hinges starting. Good-. Boards.
Early Reform Prayer book (265796) $275.00
104. Wise Isaac. Kefi Minhag Amerika: Tefillot Bnei Yeshurun le Yom HaKippurim/ Tefillot Bnei Yeshurun le -Rosh Hashanah The Divine Service of American Israelites for the Day of Atonement Two Volumes. Bloch, 1866. 307+ 55 pp (YK) + 212 pp. (RH ) In Hebrew and English. Contemporary blind-embossed cloth with gilt lettering to spine, YK has .bookplate, on pastedown of shul in Lynchburg Va., library stamp tp, spine repaired with new title on spine,corners slightly torn RH the crown and base of spine are torn, some wear to edges, name of Mrs I Joseph imprinted on cover . Good-. Boards.
Text and Psalms. Some of the prayers are translated both into English and German. One of the first accepted Reform prayer books for the High Holidays in the USA. The Yom Kippur one is extremely scarce. (265795) $650.00
105. Wolff Rebekka. Kochbuch Fur Israelitische Frauen enthaltend die verschiedensten Koch- und Backarten mit einer vollständigen Speisekarte und einer Hausapotheke sowie einer genauen Anweisung zu Einrichtung u. Führung einer religiös=jüdischen Haushaltung. Frankfurt: Kauffmann, 1901. 291 pp. , decorated covers worn, spine repaired. Good. Boards. (265075) $100.00
106. Yafe-Schlesinger S A annote par. Minḥat ʻani encyclopedie talmudique: ʻinyanim ve-sugiyot le-fi seder alef-bet = Première partie par le grand rabbin Rabbi Joseph David Zinzheim. Ma’hon Yerouchalayim, 5734. 36 + 240 pp. pp. In Hebrew preface in French X pages. Very Good. Hardcover . (265129) $56.00
107/a. Yalkut Shimoni on Pentateuch (see below record #107/b for collation). Salonika: 1521-1526. Yalkut Shimoni is a colossal compendium of midrashic or homiletic literature arranged according to the order of the Bible. For some of these now-lost, obscure midrashim, Yalkut Shimoni is our only source. Virtually nothing is known of the compiler of this monumental arrangement of the wisdom of the Rabbis, other than his name, Rabbi Shimon HaDarshan (Rabbi Simon the Preacher). Traditionally, he was a resident of Frankfurt am-Main (though one scholar unsuccessfully attempted to re-biograph him as a Spaniard). It is surmised by scholars that Shimon flourished in the thirteenth century. Historian Azariah dei Rossi (author Me’or ‘Eynayim) possessed a manuscript of Yalkut Shimoni dated 1310.
Yalkut Shimoni is divided into remazim (“allusions”) or chapters, 966 in the Pentateuch (Torah), and 1,085 in the Prophets and Writings (NaKh). (The Salonika edition has 963 remazim in the Pentateuch.) The system of division is not readily comprehensible, and appears at times to be arbitrary on the part of the editor. From a scholarly point of view, one of the great advantages of Yalkut Shimoni is the fact that the editor supplied the sources from which he drew his material. (In the Salonika edition, these referents are supplied internally within the text itself; in the manuscripts, and in subsequent printed editions beginning with that of Venice 1566, the references appear as marginal notes.)
First Edition of Salonika 1521-1526
Good-. full calf with tear to top of spine.
In the aftermath of the tragic Spanish Expulsion of 1492 (followed by the Portuguese Expulsion of 1496-1497), the Ottoman port city of Salonika (Thessaloniki, Greece) became the new cultural capital of Sephardic or Iberian Jewry. These Spanish and Portuguese Jews, who were encouraged to take up residence in the Ottoman Empire by Sultan Bayezid II, soon turned Salonika into a major center of Hebrew publishing. One might find ironic then, that one of the first all-time great works to be produced in Salonika would be that of an Ashkenazic rabbi, a native of Frankfurt!
Be that as it may, the Salonikan imprint proved providential, for it allowed preservation of a provocative anti-Christological passage, which could never have passed Church censorship. In subsequent, heavily censored editions of Yalkut Shimoni, the passage is quite inoffensive:
How far did the voice of Balaam travel?
Rabbi Yohanan said: Sixty miles.
Rabbi Joshua ben Levi said: The seventy nations of the world heard the voice of Balaam.
Rabbi El’azar HaKappar says: God endowed his voice with the power to travel from one end of the world to the other, because he gazed and saw that the nations would bow down to the sun, to the moon, to the stars, to the trees, and to the stones. Therefore, He endowed his voice with the power that all the nations of the world might hear.
(Yalkut Shimoni, Balak, remez 766)
However, in the uncensored first edition of Salonika 1526, we note a significant addition (which is either the original midrashic text, or a later interpolation, depending on one’s perspective). The Hebrew circumlocution “’oto ha-ish” (“that man”) is clearly an allusion to Jesus of Nazareth:
How far did the voice of Balaam travel?
Rabbi Yohanan said: Sixty miles.
Rabbi Joshua ben Levi said: The seventy nations of the world heard the voice of Balaam.
Rabbi El’azar HaKappar says: God endowed his voice with the power to travel from one end of the world to the other, because he gazed and saw that the nations would bow down to the sun, to the moon, to the stars, to the trees, and to the stones. And he gazed and saw that a man, born of woman, would arise in the future seeking to make himself a god and to lead astray the entire world. Therefore, He endowed his voice with the power that all the nations of the world might hear. And thus he would say: Pay heed not to stray after that man (‘oto ha-ish), for it says, “God is not a man, that He should lie” [Numbers 23:19], and if he says that he is a god, then he is lying. And in the future he will deceive by saying that he departs and comes at the End; he said but will not do. See what is written: “And he took up his parable and said, Woe, who shall live after he placed himself God?” [Numbers 24:23]. Said Balaam: Woe! Who can survive that nation which heeded that man (‘oto ha-ish) who made himself a god?
(Yalkut Shimoni [Salonika, 1526], Balak, remez 765 [f.268c])
n the Salonika edition, the section on the Prophets and Writings (NaKh) preceded the section on the Pentateuch (Torah) by five years. The section on the Prophets and Writings appeared in 1521; that on the Pentateuch in 1526.
Bibliography: Encyclopedia Judaica (Jerusalem, 1973), Vol. 16, cols 707-709; Herbert W. Basser, Studies in Exegesis: Christian Critiques of Jewish Law and Rabbinic Responses 70-300 C.E. (Leiden: Brill, 2000), pp. 72-73. (265798) $7,250.00
107/b. Yalkut Shimoni on Pentateuch (Collation). Salonika: 1526. (see next record for information)
Good-. full calf with tear to spine.
ff.31-36 wanting [=6 leaves wanting].
ff.43-48 wanting [=6 leaves wanting]; supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
ff.55-57 [=3 leaves] wanting.
f.60-65 [= 6 leaves] wanting; supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
SUBTOTAL: 22 of 65 ff. wanting
f.47 torn but completely present.
f.73 bound out of sequence between ff.342-343 [Parshat Tetse].
f.87 bottom segment of leaf torn and wanting.
f.91 torn but completely present.
ff.157-174 [=18 leaves] wanting.
ff.199-204 [=6 leaves] wanting.
f.265 torn but present.
ff.289-290 [=2 leaves] wanting.
ff.293-294 [=2 leaves] wanting.
f.295 torn but present.
ff.364-365 slightly torn, each wanting 5 lines of text at bottom of outer column.
Remaining leaves, ff.366-376 [=11 leaves] supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
SUBTOTAL: 42 of 376 ff. wanting
TOTAL: 64 of 441 ff. [=14.5%] wanting
Inscriptions: On front page, “Ha-Tsa’ir Avraham [illegible].” On back page, “Yeshayah Yosef Hayyim S”T.”
The volume is bound in contemporary calf; spine partially torn. Thick folio
109. Zuckermann Hugo. Gedichte. Lowit, 1915. 109 pp. includes Kriegsgedichte, marbled boards. Good +. Boards.
Hugo Zuckermann was born 15 May 1881 in Cheb. 1909 he founded, together with writer Oskar Rosenfeld, the Jüdische Bühne, the first Jewish theater in Vienna. Later he became a lawyer in Meran. He fell early in the First World War after having written the very popular “Österreichisches Reiterlied”. His work, published in one volume with an introduction by Otto Abeles in 1915, consists of poems including some translations from the Bible (Shir Hashirim, psalms). He also translated poems by Isaac Leib Peretz, Sholem Asch, Abraham Reisen, S. Schneir and other Yiddish authors. (Wikipedia) (265694) $25.00
110. Zygielbaum Faivel (Inscribed by). Der Koyeḥ tsu shṭarbn : mishpoḥe-bukh. Peretz, 1976. 379 pp. In Yiddish, includes piece of his stationery. Good. Hardcover . (265428) $25.00