Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I appreciate your taking the time and commitment reviewing this list of recent acquisitions. Our goal has always been to fulfill and nourish the scholar and librarian’s quest for unusual and hard-to-find Judaica and books on the Shoah. This is a dance we do together. It also involves your choosing to waltz along with us.
Above is an illustration made by my late wife, Jane Trigère, based on a story called The Scribe’s Tale by S.Y. Agnon. More such illustrations and their significance can be seen by going to Jane’s website at JaneTrigere.com and going to “Artwork > Women and Their Stories“. For the last few weeks we have been reading about Joseph in the Torah, and I thought it would be inspiring to share some of Jane’s writing about the parshiot.
Ken aka Yekutiel
1. Adler Cyrus and Margalith Aaron. American Intercession on Behalf of Jews in the Diplomatic Correspondence of the United States 1840-1938. AJHS, 1943. 419 pages ,Publications No. 36 Good. Cloth.
Includes Near East and Morocco Rumania and Poland Russia Central Europe (265867) $18.00
2. Alperson Mordche. In Argentina 30 Anos de la Colonizacion Judia en la Argentina (Memorias); Kolonye Mauritsyo : draysig-yehrige Y.K.O. kolonizatsye in Argentina : a historishe shilderung. Ateneo Literario en el IWO, 1967. 314 pp. In Yiddish. Very Good. Hardcover .
Masterpieces of Yiddish Literature Number 31 (239567) $30.00
3. Amram David. The Makers of Hebrew Books in Italy. Philadelphia: Julius H. Greenstone, 1909. 417 pp. New covers. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (277088) $30.00
4. Angel, Rabbi Marc. Remnant of Israel a Portrait of Americas First Jewish Congregation. Riverside Book Company, 2004. 189 pp. Large book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275056) $28.00
5. Ashkenazi, Michael editor. Ethiopian Jews and Israel. Transaction, 1987. 159 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275213) $20.00
6. Assaf s. Teshuvot ha-Ge’onim: mi-tokh ha-Genizah/ Responsa Geonica, ex fragmentis cantabrigiensibus collegit editit annotavit. Mekize Nirdamim, 1942. 239 pp. In Hebrew former owner name on tp. Good. Hardcover . (276615) $25.00
7. Balin, Carole B. and Zierler, Wendy I. (editors). “To Tread On New Ground”; Selected Hebrew Writings of Hava Shapiro. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2014. 463 pp. Very Good +. Perfect-bound. (275124) $25.00
8. Benyahu Meir (editor). Sefunot: Annual for Research on the Jewish Communities in the East. Volume Eleven (The Book of Greek Jewry -I). Ben Zvi Institute, 1978. 24+ 351 pp dj torn eleven essays In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (261148) $25.00
9. Benyahu Meir (editor). Sefunot: Annual for Research on the Jewish Communities in the East. Volume Fifteen (The Book of Greek Jewry -V). Ben Zvi Institute, 1978. 385 pp dj torn nine essays In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255747) $20.00
10. Benyahu Meir (editor). Sefunot: Annual for Research on the Jewish Communities in the East. Volume Thirteen (The Book of Greek Jewry -III). Ben Zvi Institute, 1978. 300 pp dj torn six essays In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (254522) $25.00
11. Benyahu Meir (editor). Sefunot: Annual for Research on the Jewish Communities in the East. Volume Twelve (The Book of Greek Jewry -II). Ben Zvi Institute, 1978. 20 + 270 pp dj torn six essays In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (261118) $25.00
12. Bergner Yosl. Drawings to Franz Kafka. Jerusalem: Tarshish, 1959. 91 pp. inscription on fep, whimsical drawings, spine repaired. Good. Hardcover .
Artist born in Warsaw,emigrated to Australia (1937) and then Israel in 1948. (276910) $65.00
13. Bernheimer, Charles (editor). The Russian Jew in the United States; Studies of Social Conditions in new York, Philadelphia, and Chicago, with a Description of Rural Settlements. Winston/Ozer, 1905/1971. Reprint. 426 pp. Ex-library with markings. Good. Hardcover .
The American Immigration Library. A facsimile reprint. (277093) $18.00
14. Berthold, H (Tscherkassky Joseph geleit). H Berthold Schriftgiessereien und Messinglinien Fabriken; Aktien-Gesellschaft. Berlin: Berthold, 1924. 82 pages,, decorative paper-covered boards with black, gilt and red framed cover plate design in gold with blue and red lettering,new cloth spine, some wear to covers,corners slightly bumped and lacking pieces, boards have gilt ornamental vignettes. Good +. cloth backed boards.
From the preface Tscherkassky Manager of the Oriental Department writes: “This catalogue of Hebrew and Jewish types the first of its kind should redress agreat deficiency hitherto existing in Hebrew printing matters. This catalogue contains not only the types but also numerous specimens such as might be employed for books and fine printing. It is a collection of specimens for the Hebrew typographer intended for facilitating to him the connection with the western art of printing.” Considered one of the finest Hebrew typeface catalog ever produced. (277231) $375.00
15. Biale David. Judah L.Magnes Pioneer & Prophet On Two Continents. Magnes, 1977. 56 pp. Important Zionist leader. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (276269) $18.00
16. Blumenkranz Bernhard. Juifs et Chretiens Dans Le Monde Occidental 430-1096. Mouton, 1960. 440 pp.ex library with markings and pocket . Good. library binding. (272422) $30.00
17. Boteach, Shmuel. Moses of Oxford (2 Volumes); A Jewish Vision of a University and Its Life. Andre Deutsch, 1994. 922 pp. 2 Volume set. Crown and base slightly bumped. Very Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275645) $26.00
18. Brin, Ruth. Harvest: Collected Poems and Prayers. Reconstructionist Press, 1986. 246 pp. Pen writing on fep. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275139) $15.00
19. The Bulletin of the Joint Distribution Committee of the American Funds for Jewish War Sufferers Vol II September 1917-August 1918. Joint Distribution, 1917-1918. 150 pp. Vol 2 No. 1-No. 10. In English and Yiddish, hinge starting, crown and base of spine torn, slight library mark, first few pages creased. Good. Hardcover .
reports from the field, fund raising and activities in the States also, extensively in Yiddish (276909) $30.00
20. Carmilly-Weinberger, Moshe (editor). The Rabbinical Seminary of Budapest:1877-1977: A Centennial Volume. NY: Sepher Hermon, 1986. 34 pp.+ 54 pp In English and Hebrew, includes the period of the Shoah. Good +. Hardcover . (276960) $25.00
21. Coldoff, Harry. A Yiddish Dicitonary in Transliteration. Proclaim, 1988. 223 pp. Inscribed by the editor. Very Good. Paperback. (275873) $20.00
22. Dandekar, B. B. Bene Israel Tales. A. B. Literary House, 1981. 143 pp. Crown and base of spine bumped. Good +. Hardcover . (275055) $20.00
23. Elazar Daniel editor. Facing the Eighties Current Trends in Jewish Religius Life. American Jewish Committee Israel, Sping 1980. Tefutsot Israel Vol XVIII No 1 124 pp. collection of articles in Hebrew. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (271756) $25.00
24. Ellenson David. Pledges of Jewish Allegiance: Conversion, Law, and Policymaking in Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Orthodox Responsa. Stanford University Press, 2012. 206 pp.inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266214) $20.00
25. Feierstein, Ricardo. Cuentos Judíos Latinoamericanos. Raices, 1989. 240 pp.In Spanish Many unknown writers, inscription on fep. Good. Paperback. (270554) $30.00
26. Feldman, Rabbi Abraham J. Reform Judaism; A Guide For Reform Jews. Behrman, 1956. 37 pp. Corners worn. Good +. Pamphlet . (275786) $8.00
27. Fenton Paul compiler. A Handlist of Judeo-Arabic Manuscripts in Leningrad . A Tentative Handlist of Judeo-Arabic Manuscripts in the Firkovic Collections. Ben-Zvi Institute, Yad Izhak Ben Zvi and the Hebrew University / M.E. Saltykov-Shchedrin State Public Library, , 1991. XVI+ 152 pp. In English and Hebrew , ex library with markings and pocket. Good. Paperback. (276500) $36.00
28. Feuchtwanger O. Righteous Lives Forty-Two Leaders of Jewish Thought in the Last Ten Centuries. Bloch, 1965. 169 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (277401) $10.00
29. Fielder Leslie. The Collected Essays of Leslie Fielder (Volume I & II). Stein and Day, 1971. 562 pp. + 560 pp. slight wear to dj. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275383) $36.00
30. Friedberg Ch. B. Bet Eked Sepharim Bibliographical Lexicon Vol. I – IV. Tel Aviv: Bar Juda, 1956. 1420 pp. Four volumes. Ex-library. Evidence of label removed from cover of Volume IV. Good. Hardcover . (276511) $125.00
31. Gilbert Martin editor. The Illustrated Atlas of Jewish Civilization 4000 Years of Jewish History. Quarto, 1990. 222 pp. large 8vo, Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275988) $18.00
32. Ginzberg Louis (complete). The Legends of the Jews Seven volumes. Philadelphia: JPS , 1909. Seven volumes includes index some wear to covers . Good +. Hardcover .
Essential reference work for midrash (277432) $125.00
33. Glatzer N N (Rosenzweig Franz). Understanding the Sick and the Healthy: A View of World, Man, and God. Noonday Press, 1954. 106 pp. Designed by Alvin Lustig crown and base of spine wear and tears, corners bumped. Good. Hardcover . (267120) $65.00
34. Goldberg, Lea. And This Is The Light. Poalim, 2005. 230 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (275920) $15.00
35. Gombert et al. Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes Volumes 31-37. Warburg Institute, 1968-1974. slight bumping to a few copies, seven issues each about 200 pages . Good +. Paperback.
The Journal is intended as an interdisciplinary forum for scholars specialising in art history, the history of ideas and cultural history. It publishes articles based on new research, normally from primary sources. Topics include the arts in their various forms, religion, philosophy, science, literature and magic, as well as intellectual, political and social life, from antiquity to the dawn of the contemporary era. Usually the subjects discussed either centre on or have some connection with Western, typically European cultures; therefore, too, the Journal provides a home for research into the many interconnections between those cultures and others which have flourished beyond European borders – particularly, but by no means limited to, the cultures and learning of the Near East.(from the blurb of Warburg Institute) (276994) $200.00
36. Green Ber. Yidishe Shreyber in Amerike/ Yiddish Writers in America. YKUF, 1963. 335 pp.In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (276240) $18.00
37. Guterman Guta. ‘Der opgrunt rojst’ poezje Der opgrunṭ roist: lider דער אפגרונט רוישט : לידער /. Lodz: Idisz Buch, 1948. In Yiddish 12mo 70 pp. library marks to the title page. Very Good. wrapper. (277087) $40.00
38. Habermann A M Yudlov Y (Completed and edited by). Giovanni Di Gara Printer Venice 1564-1610; המדפיס זואן די גארא ורשימת ספרי בית דפוסו שכ“ד–ש“ע (1610-1564) / ha-Madpis Zuʾan Di Gara u-reshimat sifre bet defuso 324-370 (1564-1610). Habermann Institute, 1982. XII + 143 pp. with English introduction and in and Hebrew with facsimiles ex library with bookplate and pocket. Good. Hardcover . (276529) $45.00
39. (Haggadah). The Diaspora Haggadah; The Artistic and Transliterated Haggadah of Passover. Yaniv, 1988. 63 pp. Illustrated by Shlomo Katz. In Hebrew and English. Very Good. Hardcover . (275508) $12.00
40. Hamer Jacklun Sarah. Shtamen un Tseygen : Dertseylungen (Stumps and Branches). Der Novoradomsker Society, 1954. 224 pp inscribed by author , bookplate of Boiberik (secular Yiddish camp in the Catskills) Good. Hardcover . (266571) $15.00
41. Herman, Jan. Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia. Prague: Council of Jewish Communiities CSR, 1970. 165 black and white images, and folding map, torn dj. Very Good in good + dust-jacket. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275676) $15.00
42. Hoberman, J. Bridge of Light: Yiddish Film Between Two Worlds. NY: Schocken Books, 1991. 401 pp dj chipped worn . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (275382) $48.00
43. Horowitz Isaiah Ben Abraham Halevi. Shnei (Shenei) Luchoth Habrith. With Vavei Ha’Amudim by the author’s son, Shabthai Sheftel; Sefer Shene luḥot ha-berit : ha-shalem : amarot ṭehorot … ḥibur ʻal shete Torot. Frankfurt-am-Main: 1717. Fourth Edition. 422 folio pages .library binding signatures and writing of several former owners on free end paper, in cloth binding bound with the introduction to the whole commentary,( pub. date 1717) also published separately from the entire book entitled Vavei ha-Amudim. This is a commentary on the Shnei Luhot ha-Berit authored by Isaiah Horowitz (app. 1565-1630).by Shabtai Sheftel Horowitz (c. 1592-1660) , the son of Isaiah Horowit 44 folios.. According to Bet Eked Sefarim, Shnei Luhot ha-Berit began its printing history together with the Vavei ha-Amudim commentary as one book. Aside from its great importance as an ethical work, much praised and prized by succeeding generations, especially . by Hasidim, it is also supposed to have talismanic healing value. Good. Hardcover .
In folk custom this kind of work has protective talismanic effect on the owner and has been purchased for that reason….. A native of Prague, R. Isaiah Halevi Horowitz (1565?-1630) settled in Jerusalem in 1621, where he was appointed Rabbi of the Aschkenazic Community of the city and where he availed himself of the esoteric teachings of R. Isaac Luria and his disciples. These kabbalistic teachings were duly incorporated in his magnum opus, Shnei Luchoth HaBerith. Part Halachic Code and part Kabbalistic treatise, the Shnei Luchoth Habrith exerted great influence on the life of the Aschenazi Jewish world and helped more than any other work to introduce the Kabbalah into daily religious life. Prof. Scholem observed that ” its expressive power and rich content made it a classic.” G. Scholem, Kabbbalah (1974) (271270) $3,600.00
44. Jabotinsky, Vladimir. Prelude to Delilah. Bernard Ackerman, 1945. 348 pp. #43/200 on Ticonderoga Text Laid paper. Quarter leather. Very Good. Hardcover . (276881) $70.00
45. Jewish theatre between the two world wars in Western Europe, the Soviet Union and the Baltic countries. Congress For Jewish Culture, 1971. 383 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (275108) $45.00
46. Jewish Theatre Between The Two World Wars Poland; Yiddishe Theater en Europa. Congress For Jewish Culture, 1968. 515 pp. In Yiddish. Good. Hardcover . (275107) $45.00
47. Joffe Judah Yudel Mark (editors in chief). Great Dictionary of the Yiddish Language. Groser Verybuch fun der Yiddishe Sprakhe. Yiddish Dictionary Committee, 1961-1980. Published in New York: Vol. 1, 1961 (544 Pages); crown and base of spine torn,Vol. 2, 1966 (651 Pages); Vol. 3, 1971 (639 Pages); crown bumped and side of cover bruised Vol. 4, 1980 (659 Pages). Good +. Hardcover .
Although the four volumes of the Groyser Verterbukh cover only the letter Alef (‘A’), about a third of the Yiddish lexicon is covered since many words in Yiddish have prefixes beginning with alef, such as avek- and aroys-(from Yiddish Voice Store comment) (266296) $125.00
48. Kasher Menachem editor . Sarei Ha-Elef: a Millenium of Hebrew Authors (4260-5260 500-1500 CE) In Hebrew. American Biblical Encyclopedia Society, 1959. 15+ 455 pp. In English and Hebrew blue stain from covers has bled on fore edges not affecting text at all. Good +. Hardcover . (276115) $18.00
49. Katz Benzion (editor). Heawar A quarterly devoted to the History of the Russian Jews Five volumes. Tel Aviv: Althira, 1957, 68, 69. Vol 5,15,16. 167+ 312 +278 + pages important periodical, in Hebrew. Good. Paperback. (276870) $30.00
50. Kehillah of New York City. The Jewish Communal Register of New York City 1917-1918. NYC: Kehillah of NYC, 1918. Second Edition. 1597 pp. white stains to spine. New hinges rubbing to spine and covers. The three fold-out maps are in good condition. 60 black and white photographic illustrations of synagogues, street scenes, documents, etc. + a number of fold-out tables. Good. Cloth.
A very important reference work. (276940) $45.00
51. Krafchick, Marcelline. World Without Heroes: The Brooklyn Novels of Daniel Fuchs. Rutherford: Asso Univ. Press, 1988. 120 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
A study of the novelist who wrote Summer in Williamsburg,Homage to Blenholt and Low Company, about Jewish life during the Depression (276084) $15.00
52. Kraft Werner. Gershom Scholem. Briefe an Werner Kraft. Mit einem Nachwort von Jorg Drews. Suhrkamp, 1986. 165 pp. Kraft was an important German Jewish writer who came to Palestine in 1934 and was friends also with Martin Buber. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (276952) $18.00
53. Kurland Samuel notes by. Averroes on Aristotle’s de Generatione et Corruptione Middle Commentary and Epitome; Translated from the original Arabic and the Hebrew and Latin Versions. Medieval Academy, 1958. 244 pp. ex library with markings and pocket and book plate. Good +. Hardcover . (275399) $30.00
54. Lanin E B. Les Juifs de Russie : recueil d’articles et d’études sur leur situation legale, sociale et economique. Cerf, 1891. 447 pp. taped spine and edges hinge started includes map, reading copy. Good-. Paperback. (276234) $30.00
55. Lester Julius. Revolutionary Notes. Baron, 1969. 207 pp. bookplate collection of essays. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (276064) $20.00
56. Lester, Julius (inscribed by). The Autobiography of God. St. Martin’s Press, 2004. 245 pp. Rabbi in the midst of a spiritual crisis comes into contact with a torah from a destoryed village and discovers a manuscripts left by the spirits of the village dead that is the autobiography of God. Furthur complicated by the murder of a college student on campus. Very Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (276339) $25.00
57. Lester, Julius. Blacks, Jews, and Farrakhan. Dissent, Summer 1994. Pages 365-369. Dissent magazine, summer 1994. Essay by Julius Lester. Issue devoted also to the crimes of communism. “What did you know and when did you know it?” Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (276356) $20.00
58. Levi della Vida, Giorgio, (editor). Linguistica Semitica: presente e futuro. Semitic Linguistics Present and Future. Centro di Studi Semitici, 1961. 183 pp Gazelles Cerulli Garbini Von Soden Spitzlter Ullendorff in English German and Italian. Good. Hardcover . (276932) $15.00
59. Levin Judah. Sederet Kehillot Yisrael Ozrekov. Yad Yehudot Polin, 1966. 128 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover .
From the series “Scrolls of Poland” Megillat Polin (276959) $50.00
60. Levinger, Elma Ehlrich. With the Jewish Child in Home and Synagogue. Bloch , 1948. 98 pp. Contains black and white illustrations of various Jewish things. Cover stained. sfep. Stiff Wrapper. (275869) $8.00
61. Luxemburg Danielle (curator). Old Yishuv Court. Jerusalem: Old Yishuv Court Museum, 1981. 45 pp beautifully rendered with many color plates Ottoman Turk rule. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (271759) $36.00
62. Margulies, Marcos. Iudaica brasiliensis : repertorio bibliografico comentado dos livros relacionados com o juda?smo e questoes afins, publicados no Brasil desde os primordios ate? e presente momento. Rio de Janeiro: editoria Documentario, 1974. 157 pp. slight ibrary mark on fep and spine. Good +. Wrapper. (275100) $32.00
63. Marks Mitchell. Jews Among the Indians: Tales of Adventure and Conflict in the Old West. Benison, 1992. 184 pp.dj creases and slight chips. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275493) $12.00
64. (Mendelssohn Moses). Netiboth Haschalom Sefer Bereschith im tirgum Onkelos veperush Rashi vebeur vetirgum Ashkenai huga behaga’a meduyeket al pi haKhumash Tikun Sofrim shel . . . Itzik Premsla z.l. veal pi . . . Moshe Dessau z.l. venitvasfu seder HaHaftarot vekhamesh megilot. . . Wien: Schmid, 1818. 435 pp. frontispeice portrait of Mendelssohn tipped in and illustration on title page, new blue boards and new endpapers and hinges, some dog eared pages. Good. Boards.
1, Sefer netivot ha-salom : wehuʼ ḥibur kolel ḥamisat ḥumse Torah ʻim targum Askenazi u-veʼur = Netiboth Haschalom / Moseh mi-Desoy Sefer Beresit = Bereschith.(worldcat entry)… Sepher Nethivoth Hashalom, more commonly known as the Bi’ur, is Moses Mendelssohn’s revolutionary translation of the Pentateuch. Mendelsson translated the Pentateuch into German using Hebrew characters while the commentary was composed in Hebrew. The commentary aimed to explain the translation choices made by Mendelssohn and drew heavily on traditional medieval Jewish Bible commentators.(Kestenbaum entry) Was originally published in 1783 (271224) $265.00
65. The Menorah A monthly magazine; Offical organ if the Independent Order of B’ne B’rith. Menorah, 1894. Vol XVI Jan-June 1894, 438 pp. raised bands, leather worn. Good. Boards. (276617) $36.00
66. The Menorah A monthly magazine; Offical organ if the Independent Order of B’ne B’rith. Menorah, 1894. Vol XVI July- December 1894, 408 pp. raised bands, leather worn. Good. Boards. (276618) $36.00
67. Montefiore, Lady Judith; Raphael, Chaim (intro by). Jewish Manual : Practical Information in Jewish & Modern Cookery with a Collection of Valuable Recipes & Hints Relating to the Toilette. nightgale, 1983. 244 pp.signed by ruth gales and lila gold who wrote foreword and discovered manuscript from 1846 in nypl. Very Good-. Hardcover . (276915) $18.00
68. Moshe Decter (editor). Israel and the Jews in the Soviet Union; Soviet Cartoons on the Middle East Crisis. New York: Conference On The Status of Soviet Jews, 1967. Very Good. Paperback. (276880) $15.00
69. Nagler, Richard (photographs by) Singer, Isaac (commentary by). My Love Affair With Miami Beach. Simon & Schuster, 1991. 116 pp. Large 8vo. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Photographs of elderly Jewish people who retired to Miami. (275559) $18.00
70. Neusner, Jacob. Judiasm In The Secular Age; Essays on Fellowship, Community and Freedom. Valentine Mitchell, 1970. 180 pp. dj creased. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275046) $15.00
71. (New England) Abramowitz Mayer. Chachmei Yisroel of New England Pictorial History of the New England Orthodox Rabbinate. Worcester: Stolnitz Archives, 1991. 8vo 113 pp. Historical list of Rabbis and their shuls and communities. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (277115) $85.00
72. Niebuhr, Reinhold (inscribed and signed by). Moral Man and Immoral Society –A Study of Ethics and Politics. NY: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1932. 12mo 284 pp. has Scribner A on copy right page, dust jacket quite torn and half of spine of dust jacket lacking, covers worn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
One line inscription from Niebuhr to a reader and signed by Niebuhr, One of the most signifigant works of the 20th Century and referred to as inspirational by at least one President. (271387) $2,250.00
73. Nordmann Dr med Achilles arzt in Basel. Der israelitische Friedhof in Hegenheim in geschichtlicher Darstellung mit 6 Taf. in Lichtdrruck. Basel: Wackerngelsche, 1910. 205 pp. + plates ex library with markings and pocket and taped spine. Good. Boards.
( 21. Juli 1863 in Hégenheim, Elsass; † 10. Februar 1927 in Basel) war ein Schweizer Arzt und Historiker. (272233) $55.00
74. Orbach Arie. MiNirdof Lerodef. Tel Aviv: 1990. 141 pp. In Heberw. Very Good. Hardcover . (272452) $18.00
75. Patai, Raphael (editor). Studies in Biblical and Jewish Folklore. Indiana University Press, 1960. 372 pp. 17 essays. dj worn. edges of spine rubbed + worn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (276218) $16.00
76. Paver Chaver. Vovik: Ma’aseh-lekh fun a Bronzviler Hintele. Los Angeles: 1947. 127 pp. In Yiddish stains to end papers ,slight soiling to covers, illustrated by Moses Soyer. Good. Hardcover . (265481) $12.00
77. Pekar, Harvey. American Splendor and More American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar; Stories by Harvey Pekar. Ballentine, 2003. About 150 pp. Introduction by R. Crumb. “World’s first literary comic book”. Pekar has been compared to Dreiser, Dostoevsky and Lenny Bruce. Very Good. Paperback. (276225) $15.00
78. Picart Bernard . The Religious Ceremonies and Customs of the Several Nations of the Known World: Represented in Above an Hundred Copper-Plates Designed by the Famous Picart. Together with Historical Explanations, and Several Curious Dissertations.: Vol. I (1731), The Ceremonies of the Jews, etc.; Vol. II (1731), The Ceremonies of the Roman Catholicks; Vol. III (1731), The Ceremonies of the Idolatrous Nations; Vol. IV (1735), Part II; Vol. V (1736), Containing the Ceremonies of the Greeks and Protestants; Vol. VI (1737) in Two Parts. Part I. Containing the Doctrine and Discipline of the Church of England, of the Presbyterians, Independents, Anabaptists, Quakers, etc. Part II. Containing the Various Sects of Mahometans, with an Appendix of the Lives of Mohamm. Prevost and Claude du Bosc, 1731-1739. One of the most signifigant works concerning Jewish life and practice with wide influence in Europe….7 volumes in 3 ,set Folio (16 x 10 1/4″). Vol. 1: xx (i.e. xxii), 412pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 2: viii, 345, pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 3: x, 474pp; Vol. 4: , ix, , 514pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 5: , 470pp (Text), pp (Index); Vol. 6: , 228pp (Text), pp (Index), Vol. 7: , 164pp (Text), pp (Index). Original full calf, with gold lettering and tooling to spines. New cloth spines, new hinges, marbled end papers, covers have tooled fleur de lis some scuffing and scratch marks across some covers , Engraved title vignettes. Repairs to endpapers of Volume 1-2, with last page of Index page repair and missing some of text of letter W. Good. full calf.
vol 1 nicholas prevost london 1731 vol 2 nicholas prevost london 1731 (bound together) vol 3 nicholas prevost london 1731 vol 4 bettenham for claude du bosc 1735 (bound together), volume 5 claude de bosc 1736 volume 6 claude du bosc 1737volume 7 claude du bosc 1739 (bound together) (For more information, see: “The Book That Changed Europe: Picart and Bernard’s Religious Ceremonies of the World,” by Lynn Hunt, Margaret C. Jacob, and Wijnand Mijnhardt. Belknap Press / Harvard University Press, 2010). 224 plates present (276322) $4,000.00
79. Reinhardt, Klaus. Biblioteca Bíblica Iberica Medieval. Madrid: Centro de Estudios Históricos del CSIC, 1986. 380 pp. slight bump to base of spine. Good +. Hardcover . (275050) $36.00
80. Rogoff harry. Nine Yiddish Writers Critical Appreciations. self published, 1916. 118 pages collection of essays from various publications. Good. Hardcover .
Articles on: Morris Rosenfeld, The genius of Perez, Abraham Liessin, Abraham Reisin, L. Shapiro, Zalmon Libin, Jonah Rosenfeld, Sholom Asch, Leon Kobrin (277433) $15.00
81. Rosenfeld, Ezra (editor). Crossroads: Halacha and the Modern World IV. Zomet Institute, ND. 255 pp. Collection of 20 essays. dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (276333) $18.00
82. Roth, Cecil (editor in chief). Encyclopedia Judaica; COMPLETE. Jerusalem: Keter, 1972. 16 volumes + supplement. Bright and clean. library book plate. Very Good. Hardcover .
Essential reference work for study of modern Jewish life and ancient history. Please check for postage. (276930) $150.00
83. Routtenberg, Max. One in a Minyan; and other stories. Ktav, 1977. 166 pp. “Stories of Jewish life, law and how they get mixed up in contemporary Jews as they seek to resolve dillemas at junctures in their lives.” Very Good. Paperback. (275872) $12.00
84. Ruderman, David. A Valley of Vision; The Heavenly Journey of Abraham ben Hananiah Yagel. Philaadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1990. 365 pp. Three tears to front dj. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (274490) $15.00
85. Scheinberg, Abraham. What is the Halacha? Encylcopedia of Halcha Book I Otzar Hat’Shuvos Bibliography of Responsa Book II. Shulsinger, 1974. 408 pp. + 34 pp. dj worn and torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275870) $25.00
86. Schweid Mark. Treyst mayn folk: dos lebn fun Y.L. Perets/ Console My People: The Life of I.L. Peretz. Farlag Peretz, 1955. 306 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (276126) $18.00
87. Sebag-Montefiore, Ruth. A Family Patchwork; Five Generations of an Anglo-Jewish Family. Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1987. 139 pp. Pen writing on fep. Very Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275644) $15.00
88. Segal, Alan F. Rebbeca’s Children; Judaism and Christianity in the Roman World. Harvard University Press, 1986. Book protected in plastic sleeve. Very Good +. Hardcover . (275884) $18.00
89. Segal, M.H. The Pentateuch and Other Biblical Stories; Its Composition and Its Authorship. Jerusalem: Magnes, 1967. 255 pp. Plastic sleeve over dj. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275125) $35.00
90. Shimoni Gideon. Community and Conscience: The Jews in Apartheid South Africa. UPNE, 2003. 336 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275211) $15.00
91. Silverman Jerry. Yiddish Song Book. Stein, 1983. 198 pp. dj flap creased. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275390) $15.00
92. Simeon bar Yoḥai. Sefer Zohar hadash : hadash hu ve-nithadesh be-otiyot gedolot … ve-yavinu baʼer hetev ʻinyanim u-milot be-raze ʻolam … Livorno: Ḳushṭa ṿa-haveraṿ she-kanu defus Mosheh Yeshuʻah Toviyana,, 1866. 144 pp.new covers and repaired pages. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (276935) $75.00
93. Singer HAns. Zeichnungen von Max Liebermann. 50 Tafeln mit Lichtdrucken nach des Meisters Originalen. Meister der Zeichnung Bd. 2. Schumann, 1912. 50 plates ex library wtih pocket and bookplate. Good. Hardcover . (276391) $30.00
94. Sloves, Henri. L’etat Juif de L’Union Sovietique. Les Presses, 1982. 318 pp. translated from the Yidish, slight library marks. Very Good. Paperback.
Birobidjan (247252) $15.00
95. Stavans, Ilan (inscribed by) and Sokol, Neal. Ilan Stavans: Eight Conversations. University of Wisconsin Press, 2004. 204 pp. Very Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275991) $15.00
96. Stein Sarah. Making Jews Modern; The Yiddish and Ladino Press in the Russian and Ottoman Empire. Indiana, 2004. 310 pages. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (276831) $20.00
97. Steinberg, Alan J. American Jewry & Conservative Politics; A New Direction. Shapolsky, 1988. 192 pp. Very Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275506) $15.00
98. Subcommittee of The Committee on the Judiciary. Nomination of Louis D Brandeis – Hearigs and Report – Vol. 1. U.S. Government Printing Office, 1916. 1319 pp. 3/4 dark maroon morocco with dark maroon cloth. Gilt on spine in fine condition. Marbled endpapers and page edges. Volume 1 of 2 published. Volume 1 only. Pen writing on marbled endpaper.
W.J. Gilpatrick’s copy. 64th Congress document No. 409. (275703) $146.00
99. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: 1962. Jahrgang 31 Nr. 1- 10 (full year), 364 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life and culture in Sweden (271785) $48.00
100. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: 1959-1961. Jahrgang 28 Nr. 1- 10 (full year), Jahrgang 29 Nr. 1-10 (full year), Jahrgang 30 Nr. 1-10, 280 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life in Sweden Filled with articles about Israel and world Jewry (271783) $65.00
101. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: Jan 1957- Dec 1957. Jahrgang 26 Nr. 1- 19/20 358 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life in Sweden articles on Israel and world Jewry (271786) $48.00
102. (Sweden) Periodical . Judisk Kronika. Stockholm: Jan 1958- Dec 1958. Jahrgang 27 Nr. 1- 10, 240 pp. slight library marks, in library binding, some wrinkled pages. Good. library binding.
Jewish life and culture in Sweden (271784) $48.00
103. Tenenblatt, Mordecai Anshel. Perakim hadashim le-toldot Erets-Yisrael u-Bavel bi-tekufat ha-Talmid (In Hebrew. Dvir, 1966. 405 pp. In Hebrew Pen inscription on fep. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (275106) $15.00
104. Wessely Naphtali Herz. לבנון : … לברר וללבן יסודות ושרשי לשון הקדש … : הספר ראשון שמו גן נעול שלשה בתים /Levanon : … le-varer ule-laben yesodot ṿe-shorshe leshon ha-ḳodesh … : ha-sefer ha-rishon shemo Gan naʻul u-vo sheloshah batim. Amsterdam: : Joseph and Abraham, Sons of Solomon Proops, 1765. 102 doubled pages covers worn and spine very worn, edges bumped in Hebrew Volume One only on Synonyms and antonyms. Wessely’s poem Shirei Tiferet was a signifiganr literary work of the German Haskalah and as a pioneer in educationt through his Divrei Shalom ve-Emet by arguing the case for modifying the system of Jewish education…, these four letters served as a milestone in modern Jewish history” (EJ) and Worldcat Wesseyl known for his linguistic work. Good. Boards.
: Previous owner’s inscriptions. On frontispiece: “D. Levy” (English). On flyleaf: “These books are a gift to me from my father…Aaron, in London, 5603 [i.e., 1843], here Plymouth” (Hebrew); and again “D. Levy, Plymouth, 5603” (English). (276606) $275.00
105. Yaari Abraham. Hebrew printers’ marks. From the beginning of Hebrew printing to the end of the 19th century. Diglei ha-Madpisim ha-Ivriyyim. Gregg, 1971. XVi + 194 [[. English preface and work is in Hebrew , book plate removed. Very Good-. Hardcover .
Reprint of the 1943 Hebrew University edition (277434) $78.00
106. Yoskowitz Jeffrey. The Gefilte Manifesto: New Recipes for Old World Jewish Foods. Flatiron Books, 2016. 342 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (276331) $30.00
107. Yudlov Isaac collected and annotated by. דגלי מדפיסים : חמישים וארבעה סמלי מדפיסים מו”לים ומחברים עבריים = Hebrew printers’ mark /; Hebrew printers’ marks : fifty-four emblems and marks of Hebrew printers publishers and authors. Jerusalem: self, 2001. IX + 135 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good-. Hardcover . (276530) $125.00