1. Adler Israel (editor). YUVAL Studies of the Jewish Music Research Centre. Magnes, 1968. 252+40+48 pp. bookplate. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Articles include “Le traite anonyme du manuscrit Hebreu 1037 de la Bibliotheque Nationale de Paris,” Adler, “La musique juive dans l’Espagne medievale,” Higinio Angles, “The Cantorial Fantasia of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries,” Hanoch Avenary, “Traces of Jewish Musicans in the Writings of Lomazzo,” Moshe Barasch, “The Biblical Nebel,” Bathja Bayer, “Nicomaque, Aristote et Terpandre devant la transforamtion de l’heptacorde grec et octocorde,” Jacques Chailley, “Remarks Concerning the Use of the Melograph in Ethnomusicalogical Studies,” Dalia Cohen and Ruth Kayz, “Vocal Folk-Polyphonies of the Western Orient in Jewish Tradition,” Edith Gerson-Kiwi,” A la recherche du Tonus Peregrinus dans la tradition musicale juive,” Avigdor Herzog and Andre Hadju, “Self-Revelation and the law – Arnold Schoenberg in his Religious Works,” Dika Newlin, “Deux Textes arabes inedits sur la musique,” Amono Shiloah, “The ‘Proclamation Style’ in Hebrew Music,” Bence. Szabolsci. Articles in Hebrew are “The Term musiqah in Mediaeval Jewish Literature,” Nehamia Allony, “The Reading of marka’s Poems by the Samaritans on the Sabbath,” Shlomo Hoffman. (268434) $25.00
2. Alberti L de. English Merchants and the Spanish Inquisition in the Canaries. Extracts from the Archives. Society, 1912. 172 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (268883) $36.00
3. Botta Mario. The Cymbalista Synagogue and Jewish Heritage Center. Gingko, 2001. 142 pp. In Tel Aviv. Very Good. Paperback. (269101) $12.00
4. Brod Max (essay by) Lask I (text by). The Haggadah; 32 Tziurim. Sinai, nd. 64 pp.,dj torn appears to be inscribed by illustrator Allweil, color illustrations tipped in. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
revised English translation by Joseph Loewy (268080) $36.00
5. Cantera Burgos, Francisco. Sinagogas españolas. Con especial estudio de la de Córdoba y la Toledana de El Tránsito. Madrid: Instituto Arias Montana, 1955. 366 pp. ex library with book plate (Ilya Schor design) and pocket and number on spine. good. Hardcover . (268655) $42.00
6. Conference on Soviet Jewry . Currents. NY: Greater NY Conference on Soviet Jews/Coaltion to Free Soviet Jewry, Jan 1981-Nov 1983, 1984 and 1985. Looks like a complete run of this periodical for this period: Volume 1 -Vol 3, Volume 4 became Lifelines 1984 lacks July/August and complete 1985 year few issues for subsequent year , slight library marks on title page. Good. Wrapper.
Important documentation and reports and photos of acitivities in USA to Free Soviet Jewry (268702) $165.00
7. (Czechoslovakia) Steinherz, Samuel (ed.). Jahrbuch der Gesellschaft für Geschichte der Juden in der Cechoslov Republik. Prag: Flesh, 1929- 1934. Volume 1-6, consists of six of the nine volumes, ex library with markings, taped numbers on spines, volume six has a slight brown stain across the top and a bleached white stain coming down from the spine about an inch; internally in good condition and bindings are good. Good. Hardcover .
: 1) Steinherz, S., Kreuzfahrer u. Juden in Prag (1096); Nettl, P., Alte u. neue judische Musiker; Bergl., J., Das Exil d. Prager Judenschaft von 1745 bis 1748. – 2) Engel, A., Die Ausweisung d. Juden aus d. königlichen Städten Mährens u. ihre Folgen; Teply, F., Die Juden in Schwihau; Lieben, S.H., Igereth Machalath, eine hebräische Chronik d. 18. Jahrhunderts; Bretholz, B., Die Judenschaft einer mährischen Kleinstadt Markt Pirnitz im XVIII. Jahrhundert. – 3) Donath, O., Judisches in der neuen tschechischen Literatur; Jakobovits, T., Die Judenabzeichen in Böhmen; Roubik, F., Die Judensiedlungen in Böhmen auf d. Ortsplänen vom Jahre 1727; Heilig, B., Die Vorläufer d. mährischen Konfektionsindustrie in ihrem Kampf mit d. Zünften. – 4) Heilig, B., Ziele u. Wege einer Wirtschaftsgeschichte d. Juden in d. Tschechoslowakischen Republik; Münzer, Z., Die Altneusynagoge in Prag; Jakobovits, T., Die Erlebnisse d. Oberrabbiners Simon Spira-Wedeles in Prag (1640-1679); Rokycana, J., Zur Geschichte d. Juden in Pardubitz. – 5) Rachmuth, M., Zur Wirtschaftsgeschichte d. Prager Juden; Jakobovits, T., Das Prager u. Bohmische Landesrabbinat Ende d. siebzehnten u. Anfang d. achtzehnten Jahrhunderts; Adler, S., Das Judenpatent von 1797; Singer, L., Zur Geschichte d. Toleranzpatente in d. Sudetenländern. – (268690) $250.00
8. Feibelman, Julian B. A Social and Economic Study of the New Orleans Jewish Community. Philadelphia: Univ of Penn, 1941. 8vo 157 pp. Ph.D. theses, number on spine and slight library mark on fep. Good +. (268992) $20.00
9. Feldman Tzvi translator. Rav A.Y. Kook Selected Letters. Ma’aliot Publications of Yeshivat Birkat Moshe, 1986. 288 pp.l. Very Good. Hardcover . (263295) $27.00
10. Fiedler Jiri. Jewish Sights of Bohemia and Moravia. Prague: Sefer, 1991. 224 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Guide Book. Includes many black and white images and an index. (268274) $20.00
11. Fischer, Yona & Perez, Nissan, Eds. Yaacov Ben-Dov: The development of the Jewish Yishuv in Eretz-Israel from 1907 to the thirties : a selection of photographs from the Ben-Dov Archives at the Israel Museum. Israel Museum, 1978. about 60 photos quite extraordinary, in English Hebrew and French, covers bit worn. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268335) $36.00
12. Goldblatt David. The Jew and his Language Problem. New York: self, 1943. 204 pp. hinge starting Argues for the importance of implementing Yiddish over Hebrew, the merits of both, inscludes chapter “Are Jews Necessary to Civilization?” and argues that countries that supported their Jews are the most civilized ” and will be the more sow hen the present holocaust of World War II is over.” Good. Hardcover . (268701) $36.00
13. Goodenough, Erwin. Jewish Symbols in the Greco-Roman Period: Thirteen Volumes. NY: Pantheon Books, 1960s. Bollingen Series:37. Classic study. Important reference. quarto 13 vols. -Vol 12 is the Summary and Conclusion and Vol 13 is the Index and Maps ex library with stamp on title page and pocket on back end paper. Good. cloth.
Please inquire re shipping costs heavy tomes (269026) $425.00
14. Guth Nadia. Synagoge und Juden in Basel. Zurich: : Verlag Morascha, 1979. 60 pp. covers worn. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268307) $16.00
15. Ha Misrad HaAretz Yisrael (Yaakov Tahon). Sefirat Yehude Erets-Yisra’el Hoberet Alef. Yaffo: HaMisrad Ha Aretz Yisrael Shel Histadrut HaTzsione, 1918. 114 pp. In Hebrew slight library marks in green cloth with title on spine in white ink Extraordinary demographic documentation of Jewish settlements and backgrounds in eight parts: 1 Jerusalem, 2 Yaffo,3 Hebron, 4 Ramle,Lod,Azah, Beer Sheva,5 Moshavot Yehuda ,6 Temonei Moshavot Yehudah,7 Poale Moshavot Yehuda,8 Seder Hazmanim shel HaKenesah LeAretz Yisrael “ʻAvodah zo, shel ḥaver-miʹsradenu Mar Meʹir Ṿilḳanski.” Good. Hardcover .
All aspects of the residents are covered. origins, how long in location, age differentations, language spoken, various occupations, et. al. (268859) $675.00
16. Harvard University Library – Catalogue of Hebrew Books Authors and Subjects 6 Volumes + Supplements 1,2 and 3. Harvard University Library, 1968. Ex library with markings hinges started on some volumes and need repair heavy tomes. Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (268876) $375.00
17. Himadeh Sa’id. Economic organization of Palestine. Beirut: American Press, 1938. 602 pp. number on spine. Very Good. Hardcover . (269313) $45.00
18. Katzman Avi. Ticho House. Keter, 1994. 50 + 44 p. In Hebrew and English. many color examples of Ticho’s art. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268397) $25.00
19. Koen Sarano Matilda. Konsejas I Konsejikas Del Mundo Judeo Espanyol. Jerusalem: kana, 1994. 412 pp.In Hebrew and Ladino. Very Good. Hardcover . (269164) $45.00
20. Laski Neville. The Laws and Charities of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregation of London. London: Cresset, 1952. 224 pages number on spine and slight library stamp on fep, inscribed by Laski on fep? Good. Hardcover . (269220) $30.00
21. Lazar Moshe. Almeric, Arcidiano de Antiochia: La fazienda de Ultra Mar (Biblia Romanceada et Itinéraire biblique en prose castillane du XIIe siècle). Salamanca: 1965. 224 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (267913) $15.00
22. Leeser Isaac. Instruction in the Mosaic Religion. Translated from the German of J. Johlson. Philadelphia: Adam Waldie, 5590 (1830). (Rosenbach 321). 139 pp. lacks pages 3-6, dark water stain about an inch from top of book on inner folds of many pages not affecting text, some stains throughout, boards are rough with tears to spine and wear to covers , needs tightening. Good-. Boards.
Signature of Simon Stern Philadelphia 1852 on t.p. , and Simon Stern No 23. on f.e.p. Morais In Jews of Philadelphia devotes four pages to the accomplishments of Stern for Jewry and the city of Philadelphia, The scarcity of books concerning the Jewish religion emphasized the fact that there was no American Jewish publisher. Having translated Johlson’s Instruction in the Mosaic Religion, Leeser issued in the winter of 1829-30 proposals to publish it and The Jews and the Mosaic Law. When no offers were forthcoming, he became his own publisher. (Wikipedia) (268730) $360.00
23. Leeser Isaac. The Jews and the Mosaic law. Part the first: containing a defence of the revelation of the Pentateuch, and of the Jews for their adherence to the same. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 5594 (1833). 278 pp. Original boards which are pinkish worn and stained ,contains Masonic book plate and embossed plate on cover and slight Masonic stamp at base of spine, spine torn and tears along edges of spine and base of spine, foxing to end papers, spine worn and has original label, slight damp staining bottom of last pages. Good. Boards.
Leeser’s first book.Rosenbach 375; Singerman 0578. (268731) $1,250.00
24. Levenberg Diane. Out of the Desert Poems. Doubleday, 1980. 118 pp. dj tears. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Poems by my former wife z”l. Including :The Crippler about Jews avoiding service in the Czar’s Army, Friday night, A Jewess learns to meditate, Pope Pius the XII sees a Star of David. (269240) $15.00
25. (New England) Abramowitz Mayer. Chachmei Yisroel of New England Pictorial History of the New England Orthodox Rabbinate. Worcester: Stolnitz Archives, 1991. 8vo 113 pp. Historical list of Rabbis and their shuls and communities. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (269032) $65.00
26. Rosal Jesus Pelaez del (editor). The Jews in Cordoba (X-XII centuries) (Studies in Hebrew culture). Cordoba: Ediciones El Almendro, , 1987. 162 pp In English. Very Good. Paperback. (268334) $15.00
27. Ruderman David. Kabbalah, Magic and Science: The Cultural Universe of a Sixteenth-Century Jewish Physician. Harvard University Press, 1988. 232 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269250) $32.00
28. Sachs Senior. Carmina Sancta Cantiques de Salomon ibn Gabirol Premiere Livreraison; Sefer Shire ha-shirim asher li-Shelomoh ben Gabirol … ; hoveret rishonah. Paris: Guerin, 1868. 167 pp. marbled boards, new cloth spine. Good +. Boards. (255944) $30.00
29. Salomons David introduction. Miscellany of Hebrew Literature Volume 1. London: Trubner, 1872. 228 pp. + membership list new boards and spine paper in good condition . Good. Boards.
Society of Hebrew Literature includes The Minister Rabbi Samuel Ibn Nagrela by H Graetz, Specimen of the Biur, Specimen of the Book of Cusair, Epistle of R Chisdai . Zunz on the Suffering of the Jews, et al (268699) $36.00
30. Scheiber Alexander (editor). Semtitic Studies in Memory of Immanuel Low. Budapest: Kohut Foundation, 1947. 361 pages (in Hungarian and German) + 195 pages (in Hebrew), tears to covers, and spine , tape on spine and down front hinge of book, bookplate of Abraham Joshua Heschel. Good. Wrapper. (268556) $36.00
31. Schwebel (Fox Evrett introduction). David’s Journey. From the Books of Samuel and Kings. Yeshiva University/Stabilized Chaos Press, 1997. 43+141 pages Israeli artist, includes letter from artist. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Inaugural exibit (266500) $50.00
32. Seligson Esther. Isomorfismos. UNAM, 1991. 98 pp. Long inscription by author Was important Mexican Jewish writer and academic. Very Good. Paperback. (268742) $25.00
33. Shilo-Cohen, Nurit. Bezalel: 1906-1929. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1983. 8vo 390 pp.dj very worn book plate writing on half title, In conjunction with exhibition, exhaustive study of the work of Boris Schatz and the art school in Jerusalem. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (269298) $40.00
34. Sukenik, Eleazar. The Ancient Synagogue of Beth Alpha; An account of the excavation conducted on behalf of the Hebrew University. Jerusalem: Oxford University Press, 1932. 58pp. (8 plates within text) + 27 plates, one of which is a fold-out, ground plan of the synagogue. crown and base of spine slightly bumped. Good +. Cloth. (265748) $100.00
35. Szold . Sefer Iyyov.(Das Buch Hiob nebst einem neuen Commentar.). Siemens, 1886. 498 pp. In Hebrew hinges starting. Good. Hardcover . (269342) $36.00
36. Szyk Arthur and Roth Cecil. Szyk Haggadah. London: Beaconsfield Press, 1939. 1st edition of 250 copies printed on Vellum. Large 4to. ” Executed by Arthur Szyk. Edited by Cecil Roth. Signed by both. Hebrew and English Text. 48 pages are in color. Printed on double page pure vellum leaves. Full blue levant morocco binding by Sangorski . Good ++. Hardcover .
Arthur Szyk, a Polish Jewish artist and one of the most remarkable modern manuscript illuminators, collaborated with the British Jewish historian Cecil Roth in the creation of this masterpiece Haggadah during the 1930s. Only 250 of this book were published, the production commenced before the war and the first copies were available in 1939. The offered copy is no. 54 out of 125 that were offered for sale in the United States, another 125 were offered for sale in England. (269027) SOLD
37. Udovitch Abraham. Last Arab Jews: The Communities of Jerba, Tunisia (Social Orders : a Series of Monographs and Tracts. Harwood, 1984. 178 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269251) $36.00
38. Unna, Rabbi Avigdor (editor). Register of Statutes and Protocols of the ‘Hevra Kadisha’ of Worms; For the Years 1716-1837. Jerusalem: Kook, 1980. In Hebrew. 205 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (268569) $50.00
39. Weinberger Mozes. A Zsidosag Szocialis Helyzete a Talmudban. Budapest: Neuwald Illes, 1934. 21 pp.In Hungarian The Jewish Social Position in the Talmud. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (268471) $30.00
40. Wise Isaac. Kefi Minhag Amerika: Tefillot Bnei Yeshurun le Yom HaKippurim/ Tefillot Bnei Yeshurun le -Rosh Hashanah The Divine Service of American Israelites for the Day of Atonement Two Volumes. Bloch, 1866. 307+ 55 pp (YK) + 212 pp. (RH ) In Hebrew and English. Contemporary blind-embossed cloth with gilt lettering to spine, YK has .bookplate, on pastedown of shul in Lynchburg Va., library stamp tp, spine repaired with new title on spine,corners slightly torn RH the crown and base of spine are torn, some wear to edges, name of Mrs I Joseph imprinted on cover .RH lacks most of page 191/192 Good-. Boards.
Text and Psalms. Some of the prayers are translated both into English and German. One of the first accepted Reform prayer books for the High Holidays in the USA. The Yom Kippur one is extremely scarce. (268097) $275.00
41. Zhitomir. Sefer Yosifon. Zhitomir: Shapira mi Slavita, 1850. 324 pp. first few pages at bottom evidence of feasting by a ravenous bookworm not affecitng text, cover boards worn, some foxing or darkening to pages. Fair. Boards.
Basic history book for Jews during the Middle Ages (268715) $275.00
Addendum JP Judaica
1. Abecassis, Raphael, calligraphy and illustration by. Haggadah shel Pesah/ The Passover Haggadah. Keter, 1989. 50 pp. In Hebrew illustrations in glorious color mystical unusual. Very Good. Hardcover . (269699) $36.00
2. Allegra Luciano. Una Lunga Presenza: Studi sulla popolazione ebraica italiana. Silvio Zamorani Editore, 2009. 258 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269718) $46.00
3. Auerbach, Aliza. Aliya. Ministry of Defense, 1992. about 210 pp. filled with large photos of various immigrant groups and individuals coming to Israel and adjustment, extraordinary photos, slight bumps to top corners. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (261993) $125.00
4. Bak Samuel (drawings) Prie Menachem (text). Sheray Yerushalayim. Mizrad HaBitahon, 1968. 66 pp paper clip mark pastedown hinge starting classical drawings. Good +. Wrapper.
Bak emigrated to the USA and is known for his paintings on the Shoah. (266653) $20.00
5. Bolkosky, Sidney. Harmony and Dissonance – Voices of Jewish Identity in Detroit, 1914-1967
. Wayne State, 1991. 544 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269656) $5.00
6. Brenner Michael. Prophets of the Past: Interpreters of Jewish History. Princeton, 2010. 301 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269398) $15.00
7. Brym, Robert. The Jewish Intelligentsia and Russian Marxism. NY: Schocken Books, 1978. 157 pp. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269396) $8.00
8. Buber Martin (editor in chief). Educational Encyclopedia Thesaurus of Jewish and General Education; Volume Two Ways of Education. Ministry of Education, 1959. 1268 half pages, in Hebrew, covers worn, ex library with plate, reading copy. Good +. Hardcover . (228577) $30.00
9. Buber Martin (editor in chief). Educational Encyclopedia Thesaurus of Jewish and General Education; Volume One Principles of Education. Ministry of Education, 1959. 1016 half pages, in Hebrew, covers worn, ex library with plate, reading copy. Good +. Hardcover . (228578) $30.00
10. The Bulletin of the Joint Distribution Committee of the American Funds for Jewish War Sufferers Vol II September 1917-August 1918. Joint Distribution, 1917-1918. 150 pp. Vol 2 No. 1-No. 10. In English and Yiddish, hinge starting, crown and base of spine torn, slight library mark, first few pages creased. Good. Hardcover .
reports from the field, fund raising and activities in the States also, extensively in Yiddish (269711) $45.00
11. Bunan, Gladys Benaim ; Menashé Benaim Hachuel; Alfonso Benaim Hachuel. Tu boca en los cielos : el judeo-espanol de los nuestros : la haketía de Menashe y Alfonso. Laredo, 2007. 95 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269701) $50.00
12. Chouraqui Andre. La Condition Juridique de L’Israelite Marocain. L’Alliance Israelite Univers, 1955. 289 pages slight library mark on fep, creases to covers. Good +. Paperback. (269668) $18.00
13. Cohen Nachman. The Encylcopedia of Talmudic Disputes and Perspectives R. Yochanan and Reish Lakish. Torah Lishman Institute, c 2009. two volumes 1268 pp. Johanan ben Nappaḥa, — approximately 180-approximately 279.and Simeon ben Lakish, — active 3rd century. Very Good. Hardcover . (269702) $150.00
14. Cohen Rabbi Mortimer. Beth Sholom Synagogue: A Description and Interpretation. Elkins PArk: 1959. 34 pp. with photographs Shul was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, covers worn. Good. Wrapper. (269662) $40.00
15. Collation of Yalkut Shimoni on Pentateuch (Salonika, 1526): Salonika: 1521-26. Here follows the collation of this copy of Yalkut Shimoni on Pentateuch (Salonika, 1526):
ff.31-36 wanting [=6 leaves wanting].
ff.43-48 wanting [=6 leaves wanting]; supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
ff.55-57 [=3 leaves] wanting.
f.60-65 [= 6 leaves] wanting; supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
SUBTOTAL: 22 of 65 ff. wanting
f.47 torn but completely present.
f.73 bound out of sequence between ff.342-343 [Parshat Tetse].
f.87 bottom segment of leaf torn and wanting.
f.91 torn but completely present.
ff.157-174 [=18 leaves] wanting.
ff.199-204 [=6 leaves] wanting.
f.265 torn but present.
ff.289-290 [=2 leaves] wanting.
ff.293-294 [=2 leaves] wanting.
f.295 torn but present.
ff.364-365 slightly torn, each wanting 5 lines of text at bottom of outer column.
Remaining leaves, ff.366-376 [=11 leaves] supplied in old manuscript (Rashi script in double columns to approximate printed text).
SUBTOTAL: 42 of 376 ff. wanting
TOTAL: 64 of 441 ff. [=14.5%] wanting
Inscriptions: On front page, “Ha-Tsa’ir Avraham [illegible].” On back page, “Yeshayah Yosef Hayyim S”T.”
The volume is bound in contemporary calf; spine partially torn. Thick folio
see earlier listing for details (269480) $4,000.00
16. Dozy Dr. R. De Israelieten te Mekka. Van Davids Tijd tot in de vijfde eeuw onzer Tijdrekening. Haarlem: Kruseman, 1864. 214 pp. +owner plate, library markings on endpapers and title page, new spine and hinge repair, folding lithograph page at end is foxed. Good-. Boards.
History of the Israelites and Mecca translated as Israel to Mecca. From David’s Time to the fifth century of our Time Account (269641) $50.00
17. E.M. Lilien Sein Werk mit einer Einleitung von Stefan Zweig. Berlin: Schuster, 1903. 350 pp. new spine with title, original boards,, new endpapers, back cover slight wear original binding with staples faulty so evidence of staple markings on title page and illustrated page before it, internally images in good shape, paper quality good, some slight stains to pages but not affecting images. Good. Boards.
All images present from various books Jewish and non Jewish and book paltes and borders. Tear to page of Probierstube der Grazien slightly onto the image, tears to Stefan Zweig page and Trauerlied not affecting image, a few other slight tears to pages. (269640) $475.00
18. Ellison Joshua editor. Habitus: a Diaspora journal; no. 3, Buenos Aires. Habitus, 2007. 190 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Marcelo Brodsky Good Memory interview and photos, Ricardo Feierstein My Buenos AIres, Reading Borges in Jerusalem by Ilan Stavans, et al (269327) $20.00
19. Eskenasy Victor. Izvoare si marturii referitoare la evreii din Romanie. Volume I; Sources and Testimonies on Jews in Romania. Hasefer, 1986. 162 pp. with underlining and annotation by Moshe Carmilly-Weinberger. In Romanian. Embossed stamp on title page. Very Good. Hardcover .
Federation of Jewish Communities in Romania (269530) $125.00
20. Evans David. John Heartfield AIZ/VI 1930-38. 1992. 524 pp., 247 color plates. ,Anti Nazi material. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
edited by Anna Lundgren. catalogue raisonne of Heartfields photomontages for leftist periodical AIZ- later known as VI, from 1930-1938. (269378) $100.00
21. Geray Tzedek Shetay Agadot Am. Berlin Vienna: Menorah, 1921. 23 pp. In Hebrew. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269534) $45.00
22. Grabherr Eva. Geschichten von Gegenständen. Judaika aus dem Beziehungsraum der Hohenemser Juden; Jewish ritual objects and the storeis they tell. Jüdisches Museum Hohenems, 1994. 184 pp.In German and English. Very Good. Hardcover .
. Eine Ausstellung von 17. Juni bis 15. August 1994. (269637) $25.00
23. Grochowick, Thomas (leitung). Synagoga, Kultgerate und Kunstwerke; von der Zeit der Patriarchen bis zur Gegenwart. Recklinghausen: Kunsthalle, 1961. zweite auflage. approximately 275 pages. exhibition catalog with four sections . Good. Paperback. (229078) $20.00
24. Grunberg Maty (Rosensaft Jean Bloch editor). Selected Works 1966-2006. New York: HUC-JIR Museum, 2006. 150 pp multi media Israeli artist, exhibition catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Includes essays by Laura Kruger and Dalia Manor and Susan Turmarkin Goodman (269590) $20.00
25. Grunhut, Dr L. (Lazar) (in Jerusalem). Sefer Ha-Likkutim Sammlung; funfter theil und sechste theil / zweite heft. Frankfurt: Kauffmann, 1900s. 155 pp.+ 135 pp in Hebrew (price for two volumes) paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Boards.
Hungarian rabbi and writer. He is especially renowned for his research & publications in the field of Midrash.
Receiving his diploma as rabbi while a mere youth, he went to Berlin, where he attended the lectures of Dr. Israel Hildesheimer at the rabbinical seminary, as well as those at the university. He graduated (Ph.D.) from the University of Bern. For eleven years he officiated as rabbi at Temesvár, Hungary.In 1892, he moved to Jerusalem on invitation to be director of the Jewish orphanage at Jerusalem.(Wikipedia) (269710) $55.00
26. Grunwald, Dr Max (editor). Mitteilungen zur judische Volkskunde; Heft XVI ( N.F. Jahrg. I-2. Heft). Berlin: Calvary, 1905. 95-176 pp. covers worn. Good. Wrapper.
essays on Jewish folk customs (269581) $36.00
27. Grunwald, Dr Max (editor). Mitteilungen zur judischen Volkskunde; Neue Reihe Erster Jahrgang Heft 1 (Der ganzen Reihe XV Heft). Berlin: Calvary, 1905. 1-93 pp. covers worn creased. Good. Wrapper.
essays on Jewish folk customs includes illustrations of Haggadot Ms 1388 Pariser National Bibliothek (269580) $36.00
28. Hagadah. Erzahlung von Israels Auszug aus Aegypten, fur die beiden ersten Abende des Pessach-Festes, mit einer deutschen Ueersetzung und Illustrationen. Wien: Schlesinger, 1915. slight library marks, former owner’s name and notes in pencil on paste downs from 1917, decorated cover worn and torn, corner lacking red color, hinges started. Good-. Boards. (269612) $60.00
29. Hirsch Menko Max. Frucht vom Baum des Lebens. Ozer Peroth Ez Chajim. Die Sammlung der Rechtsgutachten Peri Ez Chajim des Rabbinerseminars Ets Haim zu Amsterdam. Berlin Antwerp: Soncinco, 1936. 365 pp. library stamped with book plate, title written on cloth spine, Printing of 1000 copies. by the Soncino Gesellschaft der Freunde des Juedischen Buches, created from 1932-1937, exquisitively produced. Good +. Boards.
Abstracts of the 953 extant responsa originally issued in the Hebrew periodical “Peri Eitz Chaim (1691-1807) , a publication of Ets Hayim Talmudical Academy, gives a detailed view on Jewish life in Amsterdam of the time. With a Hebrew and a German index. (269713) $55.00
30. Jakobovits Dr Tobias Bibliothekar. Entstehungsgeschichte der bibliothek der israelitischen Kultusgemeinde in Prag. Prag: Verlag der Isr Kultusgemeinde, 1927. 26 pp. Perhaps Kafka utilized the books in the library! Very Good. Wrapper.
During the interwar period, Jakobovits worked as a librarian for the Jewish religious community in Prague. The library became a spiritual center for hundreds of Jewish refugees fleeing Germany during the 1930s. In 1942, Jakobovits worked for the Central Jewish Museum in Prague, which the Nazis had designated as the future museum of the “extinct Jewish race.” He was the curator of the first exhibition of the museum under the Nazis, which was held in November 1942 at Vysoká Synagoga (High Synagogue). The exhibit was based on a project carried out by Jakobovits in 1927, which included Hebraica and Judaica, rare prints, and manuscripts.He was involved in trying to circumvent Nazi destruction of Jewish objects and ultimately was deported to Auschwitz in October 1944. (YIVO Encylcopeida of Jews in Eastern Europe) (269654) $45.00
31. Kasher Aryeh. Jews, Idumaeans, and Ancient Arabs: Relations of the Jews in Eretz-Israel with the Nations of the Frontier and the Desert During the Hellenistic and Roman Era (332 BCE-70 CE) [SERIES]: Texte und Studien zum Antiken Judentum, 18. Mohr, 1988. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269494) $36.00
32. The Kaufmann Haggadah Facsimile Edition MS 422 of the Kaufmann Collection in the Oriental Library of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. Hungarian Academy, 1957. 90 pages lacks Scheiber’s descriptive brochure. Very Good. Boards. (255802) $40.00
33. Kelman, John (described by). The Holy Land. London: Black, 1912. 12mo 301 pp. covers worn crown and base bruised slightly. slight tear to crown. good. dec cloth. (269367) $35.00
34. Lichtenstein Isaac. Spinoza; Eight Plates. ArtFolio, c. 1946. folio sized, wrapper. Eight major b&w illustrations with cartoons on the bottom. Machmadim Art Editions. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269406) $55.00
35. Linfield Harry S. The Jews in the United States, 1927; A Study of Their Number and Distribution. New York: The American Jewish Committee, 1929. 107 pp + several graphs. Good. Hardcover . (269508) $25.00
36. Loewy Dr Joseph and Guens Joseph. Haggadah shel Pesach Sevice for the First Nights of Passover. Vienna: Schlesinger, 1928. Second Edition. 66 pp. .edges rubbed and wear alog sides of cover, cloth spine, Brown stain along side of title page and about eight pages of the text probably by wine spilled at seder, adds authenticity? Exquisite color plates by Kunstadt, Good +. Boards. (266347) $96.00
37. Lowenstein Rabbi Dr. L (Shlomo Eidelberg and Klein Shmuel) )new edition edited by . Index Approbationum. Lakewood: ICC, 1980s?. 284 pp. large 8vo. Very Good. Hardcover .
Kiev Library Founation Volume; This is an index of haskamot-where well-known rabbis give their written approval that a particular book be published. This book was printed originally in 1923, but since the author was short of funds, a facsimile of his handwritten copy was published. On the left side of each page were the names of the approving rabbis in the old totally illegible German Gothic script, and on the right side, the names of the books in an equally illegible Hebrew cursive hand. This otherwise highly useful reference book, helpful for for tracing the history and whereabouts of prominent rabbis for over 400 years, was impossible to read (269407) $30.00
38. Lustiger Dr Arnold editor. Rosh Hashanah Machzor (with Commentary Adapted from the Teachings of Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik): Nusach Ashkenaz and Yom Kippur Machzor. K’hal, 2008. Second Edition. 782 pp.+937 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269780) $75.00
39. Meiliz H arranged by. The Passover Hagadah Servies for the Passover Nights with revised English translation. London: Cakingold, 1940. 64 pp. slight tears. slight librarymarks on paste down, red cover has image of Dome of the Rock and states Next Year in Jerusalem . Good. Boards. (269613) $125.00
40. Menczel Puah. Israel: Twenty Prints by Jewish and Arab Children. Tubingen-Basel: Horst-Erdman Publishing House, 1973. Loose b&w prints in wrapper. Includes short pamphlet of notes in Hebrew, Arabic, German and English. Good. Wrapper. (269518) $25.00
41. Messinas Elias. The Synagogues of Salonika and Veroia. Athens: Gavrielides, 1997. 158 pp.. in English and Greek, bottom corner of pages creased ie bumped , inscribed by author, many photos some in color. Good +. Stiff Wrapper.
Unpublished material, photos and architectural drawings recreate over seventy synagogues that existed in the two cities, a few of which still survive.. Gives a history of the Jews of Salonika also. (269393) $75.00
42. Morse Godfrey (chairman). Second Annual Report of the Federation of Jewish Charities of Boston July 1 1896 to May 1 1897. Boston: Rockwell, 1897. 52 pages,lacks title page and last few pages , Officers of various Jewish charities and organization. Good condition. Wrapper. (269617) $45.00
43. Morse Godfrey (chairman). Third Annual Report of the Federation of Jewish Charities of Boston 1899. Boston: Rockwell, 1899. 50 pages,numbers on cover and tp tears to cover,some creased pages, Officers of various Jewish charities and organization. Good condition. Wrapper. (269616) $45.00
44. Nachama Andreas, Sievernich., Gereon . Judische Lebenswelten Katalog und Essays. Ausstellung im Martin gropius Bau Berliner Festspiele. Suhrkamp, 1991/92. 755+ 406 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (252782) $50.00
45. Pekar Harvey and Paul Buhle (eds). Yiddishkeit; Jewish Vernacular & The New Land. New York: Abrams Comicarts, 2011. 240 pp. Price tag sticker on front of dj. Very Good in good dust-jacket. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269509) $10.00
46. Priestley Joseph. Letters to the Jews inviting them to An Amicable Discussion of the Evidences of Christianity. Birmingham: Pearson and Rollason, 1787. Second Edition. 56 pp. and 6 pp,catalogue of books. Good. Wrapper.
Priestley was an important 18th century theologian. Priestley, who strongly believed in the free and open exchange of ideas, advocated toleration and equal rights for religious Dissenters, which also led him to help found Unitarianism in England. The controversial nature of Priestley’s publications, combined with his outspoken support of the French Revolution, aroused public and governmental suspicion; he was eventually forced to flee in 1791, first to London and then to the United States, after a mob burned down his Birmingham home and church. He spent his last ten years in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.(Wikipedia) (269619) $450.00
47. (Richmond Virginia) . The Light Burns On: 1841 1891 1941: Centennial Anniversary Congregation Beth Ahabah. Golden Jubilee Dr. Edward N. Calisch. Richmond Virginia: Congregation Beth Ahabah, 1941. 80 p. number on spine and slight library mark on fep. Good. Hardcover . (269653) $48.00
48. Riesser Gabriel . Der Jude Periodische Blatter fur Religion und Gewissensfreiheit; Zweiter Band. Altona: Hammerich, 1833. Twenty six issues,.complete year, 212 pp. text is darkened throughout, by age but paper is in good condition, some foxing to edges of pages, boards worn and torn, part of spine rubbed revealing paper board underneath, corners bumped library stamps including Mendelsohn Verein Frankfurt and the Institut for die Geschichte der neuen Deutschlands (Nazi Institut)) Good. Boards.
The essay “Betrachtungen über die Verhaltnisse der Judischen Unterthanen in der Preussischen Monarchi” is included in its many parts and “Verhandlungen uber die Emancipation der Juden im Englischen Parlament” is also included. Extremely important document for the emanicpation of the Jews in Germany and rare.
49. Rilke Rainer M. Michtavim LeAsha Tserah translated by Israel Zemora. Tel Aviv: Hevrot Haseparot, 1947. 46 pp. new decorated boards translation into Hebrew of Letters of a Young Woman. Good. Boards. (269698) $40.00
50. Schechter Ronald. Obstinate Hebrews Representations of Jews in France 1715-1815. California, 2003. 331 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255917) $18.00
51. Schor Mira curator. Abstract Marriage Sculpture by Ilya Schor and Resia Schor. Provincetown Art Association, 2013. 51 pp. includes several essays and images of their work and full color plates, inspired and magnificent work and homage. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269402) $26.00
52. Silber, David (curator). Memories of Jewish Poland: 1932: Photographs: Nachum Tim Gidal. Tel Aviv: Beth Hatefutsoth, 1984. 30pp. some creased pages. new. wrapper.
Similar to Vishniac’s work. Exhibition catalog. (261997) $16.00
53. Stav Arieh. Peace A Study of Anti Semitic Imagery the Arabian Caricature. Gefen, 1999. 287 pp. scholarly study with many illustrations, number taped to spine and library stamp on fep. Very Good. Hardcover . (269642) $30.00
54. Steiner-Prag, Hugo. Designs for a Machzor. Society of Jewish Bibliophiles, 1963. portfolio consisting of 4 pp. + 16 black and white images on hard cardboard stock, folio size. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Important book designer Czech refugee artist to USA. (269365) $25.00
55. Swartz Michael. Scholastic Magic: Ritual and Revelation in Early Jewish Mysticism. Princeton University Press, 1996. 260 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269399) $33.00
56. Theobald John. The Paper Ghetto Karl Kraus and Anti-Semitism. Peter Lang, 1996. 218 pp.lacks small piece of fep Explores Kraus and his convoluted relationship with his Jewishness which led him to blamd Jewish cultural influences for Europe’s descen into barbarism, work wants to understand his mentality and writings in the aspect of his position as a Jew. Also looks at the issue of identity in the period leading up up to the advent of the Nazis. Good +. Paperback. (269551) $48.00
57. Triwaks I. Milḥamah ṿe-shalom be-Erets Yiśraʼel = Ḳrig un friden in Erets-Yiśraʼel = War and peace in Palestine : albom le-zikaron meha-yamim ha-rishonim shel ha-Tsiyonut ʻad ha-zeman ha-zeh … Tel Aviv Publishing, 1930. 275 + LVII pp some toning to paper pages, wear to exterior at top of spine and to one fore-corner. there is a brief inscription to front free endpaper. In Hebrew Yiddish and English, extensive documentation of the settlements, the building up of the land, the nearby Arab communities and photos of the 1929 riots and massacre of the Jews. Very Good. Hardcover . (269346) $100.00
58. Vinkovetzky Aharon Kovner Abba. Anthology of Yiddish Folksongs Four Volumes. Magnes Press, 1984. Second Edition. few covers faded, tear to base of spine volume four, former owner’s name on free end paper 4 volumes; volume 1: XLII, 128, 62 pp. Abba Kovner Folksongs of a Vanished Era Love Songs, Cradle Songs; volume 2: 238 pp. Children’s songs, Family songs, Weddings and Festivals; volume 3: XII, 265, 11 pp. Humor and satire, Hassidic songs, Multi-lingual songs, Poverty, Toil and Deprivation, Jewish Soldiers’ songs; volume 4: XIII, 285, 45 pp. Struggle and Resistance songs, Ghetto and Partisan songs, Religious and National songs, Homeward to Zion; Captions to each song in Yiddish, Hebrew, English and in Transliteration. Very Good. Hardcover . (266831) $150.00
59. Volavkova Hana. The Synagogue Treasures of Bohemia and Moravia. Prague: Sfinx, 1949. 97 pages of plates + 38 pp. dj torn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (260418) $15.00
60. Weber, Annette; Friedlander, Evelyn and Armbruster, Fritz, edited by. Mappot …blessed he who comes. The Band of Jewish Tradition since late Antiquity. Mappot …gesegnet, der da kommt. Das Band Jüdischer Tradition seit der Spätantike. Hidden Legacy Foundation, 1997. 223 pp. oblong 8vo. beautiful production . Very Good. Hardcover .
On traditional ritual objects with extensive materials on wimpels. On the world of German Jewry that was lost. (263727) $45.00
61. Whiatker Jan. How the American Department Store Fashioned the Middle Class. St Martin, 2006. 342 pp. includes many Jewish department store owners. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269631) $25.00
62. Zelikcwitch G. (ed). Bar-Mitzva Speeches: a Collection of Various Bar-Mitzva Speeches in English, Hebrew and Yiddish; Compiled by Famous Jewish Scholars and Orators. New York: Hebrew Publishing Company, 1928. 95 pp. Facing English and Yiddish text. Good. Hardcover . (269411) $25.00
63. Zim Sol composed and created by. “Sabbath Spell” Saturday morning Chassidic Soul Service. Zimray, circa 1974. 21 seperate pieces about 50 pages of music and Hebrew transliterated. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Important American cantor who teaches at AAJR (269700) $65.00