1. “A Quarterly Reviewer”. Aspects of the Jewish Question: Zionism and Anti-Semitism. Bloch, 1902. 98 pp. slight library marks With chapter of Germans and Anti Semitism and also charts of percentage of Jews in various cities in 1901 Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270631) $25.00
2. Allen Marilyn. Alien Minorities and..Mongrelization. Measor, 1949. 474 pp. dj tears anti African and anti Jewish vitriolic.Includes diatribe against miscegenation and Zionist conspiracies . Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (265049) $46.00
3. Bamberger Naftali Bar Giora. Der judische Friedhof in Celle. Memor-Buch. Carl Winter, 1992. 232 pp. folio size. Very Good. Hardcover . (267359) $75.00
4. Bar-Giora Bamberger, Naftali. Der judische Friedhof in Schmieheim : Memor-Buch; Zwei Bande. Gemeinde Kippenheim, 1999. 1078 pp. in two volumes, filled with pictures of graves. folio Includes Lagerplan. Very Good-. Hardcover .
Photo of each stone with explanation/translation of the Hebrew text into German (270374) $136.00
5. Bassani Giorgio. L’Alba ai vetri. Poesie 1942-50. Einaudi, 1963. 95 pp. covers worn, sfep, embossed stamp tp. Good +. Hardcover .
Jewish Italian novelist, had been arrested for anti fascist activity (270639) $25.00
6. Bergner Yosl. What I Ment to Say Travels and Tales Conversations with Ruth Bondy. Hed Arzi, 1996. 198 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover .
Bondy began her career as a translator for the UP News Agency in the 1940s. During the Holocaust, Bondy was sent to Theresienstadt in 1942 and Birkenau in 1943. After the end of World War II, Bondy trained in the military as a volunteer and moved to Haifa, Israel in 1948. After arriving in Israel, Bondy was a journalist for the Israeli newspaper Davar before working for Devar ha-Shavua and Omer in 1953. She remained in journalism for over thirty years and taught at Tel Aviv University.(Wikipedia) (270475) $55.00
7. Bieberstein, Aleksander. Zaglada Zydow w Krakowie; Cracoviana Seria II Ludzie I Wydarzenia. Cracow: Wydawnictwo literackie, 1985. 275 pp. dj torn, in Polish. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
The destruction of the Jews in Cracow. (267557) $25.00
8. Borwicz, Michel. Ecrits des Condamnes a Mort Sous L’Occupation Allemande (1939-1945) Etude Sociologique. Paris: Presses Univ. de France, 1954. 276 pp . good. wrapper. (270635) $25.00
9. Bramer Andreas (hrsg). Judisches Leben zwischen Ost und West: Neue Beitrage zur judischen Geschichte in Schlesien. Gottingen: Wallstein, 2014. 638 pp.Includes the Shoah and current situation. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266685) $36.00
10. Burck Jacob ( inscribed). Hunger and Revolt; Cartoons by Burck. Daily Worker, 1935. Second Edition. 248pp. new covers and end papers, filled with political cartoons and essays against the oppressive capitalist system and warnings re the fascists in Germany and Italy. in tradition of Gropper. Fair/Good. Boards. Inscribed by Burck “with comradely regards” to Paul Novick (Freiheit editor) Sections include The Negro, Imperialism, Fascism, Soviet Union, and War, with introductory remarks to each part by sundrys commentators, including Michael Gold, Earl Browder, Langston Hughes, Charles Lamont and others. (270583) $95.00
11. Cahiers D’Art. L’usage de la parole Cahiers D’Art No 1 Decembre 1939; (on title page states No 5-10 but is only the L’usage de la parole) and appears to be part of next issues. Cahiers D’Art, 1939. Bound in linen cloth with copy of title page on cover, cover has circular stains, top right corners creased and some slight tearing,bottom right corners slight bumps and chipping to pages, base of spine slight tears to pages” 16 pp. + pp. 105- 184 includes essay on Marc Chagall and his works (10 pages) and an essay Chant Populaire Andalou et Musique Synagogale pp. 155-164 Good. Hardcover. Contains the work of Andre Masson Mythologie de la Nature, Paul Eluard, Picasso, Max Ernst, Marc Chagall, Tristan Tsara, Apollinaire, Henri Matisse, Wilfredo Lam, L’Activite Artiste a Paris durant Les Hostilites. Some of these artists were rescued by Varian Fry. (270377) $150.00
12. Celan Paul. Sprachgitter. [Gedichte]. Fischer, 1959. 66 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (270644) $18.00
13. Cordon Cecile (hrsg). An der Zeiten Rander Czernowitz und die Bukowina. Geschichte Literatur Verfolgung Exil. Kramer, 2002. 396 pp. With essays on experiences of Bukowina writers and the Shoah. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266675) $18.00
14. Czaplicka John. Emigrants and Exiles: A Lost Generation of Austrian Artists in America, 1920-1950. Northwestern University, 1996. 350 pp.+ 114 plates. Very Good. Paperback. (270963) $30.00
15. Deutsche Bibliothek Frankfurt am Main Hahner, Mechthild (Redakteur). Deutsches Exilarchiv 1933-1945. Katalog der Bucher und Broschuren. . Metzlersche Verlagsbuchhandlung , 1989. 714 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Extraordinary bibliography containing nearly 7,000 publications of German-speaking emigrants whose books and brochures were published outside Nazi Europe from 1933 to 1950 (including first editions, reprints and translations, books published by emigrants, translated, illustrated or designed, publications by Jewish publishers In Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia after 193o. Concludes with a complete registry of the persons and organizations and the publishers included. Essential reference guide (266843) $75.00
16. Deutsches Historisches Museum. Flucht, Vertreibung, Integration Heimat; Begleimat zue Ausstellung. Berlin: DHI, 2006. 54 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (270732) $18.00
17. Deutsches Historisches Museum. Mythen der Nationen: 1945 Arena der Erinnerungen; Begleitmaterial zur Ausstellung. Deutsches Historisches Museum, 2005. 60 pp. Very Good. Wrapper. (258293) $20.00
18. Duker Abraham (prepared by). Jewish Survival in the World Today; Hadassah Education Series Source Book. Hadassah, 1939-1941. about 640 pages collection of important documents and readings, many concerning fascism and the conditions of Jews in Germany, taken from books fand newspapers and magazines, in library binding. Good condition. Hardcover. 2 related sets: Hadassah Education Series & Hadssah Education Series Sourcebook (270958) $50.00
19. Ethnic Cleansing in Germany A Symposium. Los Angeles: Freedom for Religions in Germany, 1997. 5 essays articles on xenophobia 16 pp. held at University Synagogue Freedom for Relgiions was a branch of the Church of Scientology. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270779) $26.00
20. Fleischmann Johann. Mesusa 2 Spuren judischen Vergangenheit an Aisch, Aurach, Ebrach und Seebach. Arbeitkreis Judische Landgemeinden, 2003. 262 pp. Collection of documents and essays and additions to volume 1 Very Good-. Paperback. (270371) $30.00
21. Fleischmann Johann. Mesusa 3 Spuren judischen Vergangenheit an Aisch, Aurach, Ebrach und Seebach Die judischen Friedhofe von Zeckern, Walsdorf, Aschbach, Uehlfeld,Muhlhausen, Lisberg, Burghaslach und Reichmannnsdorf. Arbeitkreis Judische Landgemeinden, 2002. 392 pp., Very Good-. Hardcover . (270370) $60.00
22. Flieschmann Johann (editor). in memoriam Chriss Fiebig Gedenkschrift. Judische Landmemeinden an Aisch Aurach Ebrach, 2006. 312 pp. In German, educator actove in Bamberg and Austria in Jewish Christian relations, and work on the SHoah, reflections on her work, talks . Very Good-. Hardcover . (270372) $25.00
23. Franklin Ruth. A Thousand Darknesses: Lies and Truth in Holocaust Fiction. Oxford UP, 2011. 256 pp. New. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Is there room for fictive interpretations of what happened? Is it possible in the genre of memoirs to provide absolute truth or is all narrative the subjective analysis of one person? (blurb) (270722) $15.00
24. Gourevitch, Philip. We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families. NY: Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1998. American journalist traces the Rwandan genocide 8vo 353 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (270726) $12.00
25. Grosz George ; John Heartfield; Wieland Herzfelde; Paul Gorrell translator. Art is in Danger! Curbstone, 1987. 65 pp.collection of essays including The Art Scab , Red Group ,Working Artist (1931) part of the series Art on the Line 5, was first published by Malik Press The Communist position on art with some discussion on the threats to art by the right wing and government. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270622) $45.00
26. Horkenbach Cuno (hrsg). Das Deutsche Reich von 1918 bis Heute. (1918-1930). Berlin: , Verlag für Presse, Wirtschaft und Politik, 1930. 852 pp. tears to spine and crown torn, some slighly torn pages. Good. Hardcover. Important work listing daily political events and the political parties and their results in different towns/regions including the Nazis. Includes biographies of candidates including Hitler (270692) $36.00
27. Horkheimer Max . Studien über Autoritat und Vorurteil. Gekürzte deutsche Fassung der Bände I-III und V der “Studies in Prejudice”. Zwei Bande. Frankfurt-am-Main: Institut für Sozialforschung an der Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitat in Frankfurt. , 1953. ISBN: patholocaust. 741 pp. two volumes A manuscript duplicated and abridged version of the 5-volume series ‘Studies in prejudice’, which was published with the support of the American Jewish Committee in 1949/50. Very Good. Hardcover . (270960) $250.00
28. Jochmann Werner. National sozialismus und Revolution; Ursprung und Geschichte der NSDAP in Hamburg 1922-1933 Dokumente. Europaische Verlag, 1963. 444 pages, dj torn. slight library stamp. Good condition. Hardback & DJ. (270682) $20.00
29. Lebow, Barbara. A Shayna Maidel. NY: Samuel French, 1988. Play abou a survivor of the Holocaust who joins her family who re living in America. 12mo 83 pp. new. wrapper. (270652) $20.00
30. Levine Rhonda. Class Networks and Identity; Replanting Jewish Lives from Nazi Germany in Rural New York. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 2001. 240 pages. Very good+. Paperback. (270654) $20.00
31. Margolin Julius (IUlii). Povest Yevreyskaya (Jewish Story) : Evreyskaya povest Evreiskaia povestʹ. Tel Aviv: Ben Hor Maaian, 1960. 216 pp.in Russian . Was author o Land of the Ze-ka,. A collection of stories including , Gunder Aviel [a name] Srolik become a nationalist [perhaps a Zionist?] Betar in Vilna, Srolik is eighteen, Meshagola [unclear meaning. not a Russian word], Promise Srolik and Queen Esther, What to do Aliyah Bet do not see the work in worldcator any reference to this work
Good. Hardcover . Margolin was born in Pinsk, West Belarus, then in the Russian Empire. He studied at the Humboldt University of Berlin. Margolin received his doctorate in philosophy in 1929. He then moved to Lodz, Poland and later to Palestine in 1936. Three years later he was visiting his relatives in Pinsk and was trapped there by the Soviet invasion of Poland. Together with numerous other “socially-dangerous elements”, he was rounded up by the NKVD and sent to a labor camp on the northern bank of the Lake Onega. He survived, and was freed in 1945 as a former Polish citizen according to the agreement with Poland. In 1946, he was permitted to return to Poland, from where he moved to Palestine. He immediately started writing Journey to the Land of the Ze-Ka, which was finished in 1947, when Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn had just been sent to the gulag. It was impossible to publish such a book about the Soviet Union in the West at that time, immediately after World War II. The manuscript was also rejected in Israel. An abridged version was published in France in 1949 The book was printed in the United States in 1952 by Chekhov Publishing House (also abridged), and was reprinted in 1975. In 1951, Margolin was a witness in the trial of David Rousset against a French communist newspaper. The paper was engaged in slander of Rousset for revealing information about the gulag to the French public.(Wikipedia) (267900) $165.00
32. Montefiore I G. The Jews in Germany : facts and figures (no.1 and 2) and The Jews in Germany (no. 3). London: Anglo Jewish Assocaition, 1934+1935. 24+20+28 pp. slight library stamp on tp and number on cover Important documentation of plight of Jews in Germany and specific persecution and discrimination. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270744) $125.00
33. Motherwell Hiram. Germany “Toward a Democratic Foreign Policy”. Western Reserve University Press, 1938?. 39 pp. stamp of American Friends of German Freedom on cover. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. Reference Pamphlet Number 1 (270681) $20.00
34. Die Neue Zurcher Zeitung im Zeitalter des Zweiten Weltkrieges 1930-1955. Verlag Neue Zürcher Zeitung, , 1955. 350 pp. dj torn . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270731) $17.00
35. Parrish Art Museum. Power and Patronage: State Sponsored Art in the 1930s. PAM, 1995. Exhibit catalog 52 pp extensive material on National Socialism Soviet Union and USA. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270623) $18.00
36. Paver Chaver (Einbinder Gershon) signed bt. Giboyrim fun der nakht : roman fun Idishe partizanen in Poyln. Chaver Paver Committee, 1950. 315 pp.In Yiddish Partisans fighting the Nazis in Poland during the Shoah. Very Good. Hardcover . (265352) $36.00
37. Pike, David. German Writers in Soviet Exile: 1933-1945. Chapel Hill: UNC, 1982. 8vo 448 pp. good. cloth. Very important work documenting the plight of anti Nazi writers in the Soviet Union and their harsh fate. (270697) $15.00
38. Rabinowicz Oskar. Winston Churchill on Jewish Problems. London: Yoseloff, 1960. 230 pp dj torn. Good +. Hardback & DJ. Study of his positions including on Anti semitism in Germany Great Britain and and the Solution (270661) $15.00
39. Raemaekers Louis. Kultur in Cartoons. Century, 1917. 219 pp. . 108 plates. Very Good. Hardcover . Anti German propaganda . powerful drawings (270754) $25.00
40. Reissner Hanns. Familie auf Wanderschaft.Judische Wirklichkeit heute. Eine Schriftenreihe Heft 3. Judischer Buchverlag, 1938. 43 pp. covers disbound and torn. Good. Pamphlet . Sociological study of emigration and return to Germany by Jews by refugee historian) (270643) $30.00
41. Sherwin Byron and Ungar Irwin (signed by). Freedom Illuminated: Understanding the Szyk Haggadah. Historicana, 2008. 247 pp. 1/500 in red cloth beautiful production, with illsustration involving the Shoah also, in slip case. Very Good. Hardcover . (270977) $140.00
42. Snoek Johan. The Grey Book: A Collection of Protests Against Anti-Semitism and Persecution of Jews issued by Non-Roman Catholic Churches and Church Leaders During Hitler’s Rule. Van Gorcum, 1969. 313 pp. slight library marks corner slight bump. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270930) $10.00
43. Sobotko, H., edited by. Lomzshe: ir oyfkum un untergang/ Lomza: In Memory of the Jewish Community.
Sefer zikaron li-kehilat Lomzah. American Committee for Lomzer Pinkos, , 1957. 371 pp. In Yiddish maps on endpapers, Good. Boards. Memorial Book: (270503) $65.00
44. Spann Othmar (inscribed). Kategorienlehre. Fischer, 1924. Inscribed by author in pen on free end paper 372 pages tears to crown of spine and side of backstrip. Good. Boards.Nationalist whose writing influenced Nazi thinking. Taught at the Univ of Vienna students included Friedrich Hayek, Oskar Morgenstern and Eric Vogelin, Removed from his post by the Nazis in 1938. (270542) $36.00
45. Stankiewicz Edward. My War; Memoir of a Young Jewish Poet. Syracuse, 2002. 160 pp. dj creased . Very Good in VG DJ. Hardback & DJ. A unique personal account of Jewish life in Eastern Europe during the Holocaust and of a young man’s determination to prevail in the face of utter catastrophe. In this unusual memoir, Edward Stankiewicz stirringly recalls his youth as a Polish Jew beginning with prewar Warsaw through to the Nazi invasion. Life on the run lands Stankiewicz in Soviet-occupied. Lwow where in time he joins the Lwow Literary Club. A friend of Jewish, Yiddish, Polish, and Soviet poets and writers, he offers rare insights into wartime Eastern European intellectual life. After the German occupation of Lwow, in the newly built Jewish ghetto, he works in German military outfits and learns to forge Aryan and German documents to help people escape. In a German uniform he escapes to the Eastern Ukraine where he wanders for several months from town to town. Captured by the Gestapo, he is shipped to Buchenwald where he survives as a Pole. In the camp he manages to produce Polish and German poetry and a play. Some of these poems are reproduced in the book. (270395) $20.00
46. Steinsweis Alan. Studying the Jew: Scholarly Antisemitism in Nazi Germany. Harvard University Press, 2006. 202 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270929) $18.00
47. Stone I F. This is Israel. NY: Boni and Gaer, 1948. Includes material on refugees. and photos by Robert Capa 128 pp., sfep, covers bit soiled, tears to crown and base of spine. Good. Hardcover . (270711) $15.00
48. Tar, Zoltan. The Frankfurt School: The Critical Theories of Max Horkheimer and Theodor Adorno. NY: John Wiley, 1977. 242 pp.sfep. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (270723) $10.00
49. U.S. War Information Office. Tale of a City. Office of War Information, 1942. 23 pp. Good. Wrapper. With drawings and description of the plight of the Jews being murdered by the Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto, drawings of murdered Jews and the resistance killing Nazis. (270614) $30.00
50. Die verlorenen Osterreicher 1918 – 1938 Expression – Osterreichs Beitrag zur Moderne. Eine Klarung der kulturellen Identitat. Locker, 1982. 276 pp. filled with articles and paintings. Good +. Paperback. (270964) $36.00
51. Warhaftig, Zorach. Uprooted: Jewish Refugees and Displaced Persons After Liberation. NY: Inst of Jewish Affairs, November,1946. 219 pp.,dj slight tears. Good. Cloth. American Jewish Congress: From War to Peace No.5. Important work. (267205) $48.00
52. Weber, Annette; Friedlander, Evelyn and Armbruster, Fritz, edited by. Mappot …blessed he who comes. The Band of Jewish Tradition since late Antiquity. Mappot …gesegnet, der da kommt. Das Band Jüdischer Tradition seit der Spätantike. Hidden Legacy Foundation, 1997. 223 pp. oblong 8vo. beautiful production . Very Good. Hardcover. On traditional ritual objects with extensive materials on wimpels. On the world of German Jewry that was lost. (270456) $36.00
53. Weil Sylvie. Chez les Weil Andre et Simone. Libretto, 2009. 210 pages. Very good. Paperback. (270686) $10.00
54. Weiss Rabbi Avi. Haggadah for the Yom HaShoah Seder. Coalition for Jewish Concerns-Amcha, 2000. 44 pp. to be said on Holocaust Remembrabce Day, using the seder as guide. Very Good. Paperback. (270490) $15.00
55. Wiechert Ernst. die Dichter und die Jugend. Buchdruck, 1936. 1000 copies printed at the Werkstatte , covers faded by spines. Good condition. Cloth. Wiechert was strongly opposed to Nazism from the start. He appealed in 1933 and 1935 to the undergraduates in Munich to retain their critical thinking in relation to the national socialist ideology. This was rated as call to internal resistance. The minutes of the speech circulated illegally in Germany and reached Moscow in 1937 baked in bread. Here it was published in the influential exile magazine Das Wort (The Word). But Wiechert went even further and dared to openly criticize the imprisonment of Martin Niemöller by the Nazis in 1938.In consequence of his criticism, he was interned himself in the Buchenwald concentration camp for four months which became the most horrible time of his life. After that, he wrote down his memories about the time of his imprisonment and buried the manuscript. It was published after the war in 1945, entitled Der Totenwald (Forest of the dead), a shocking account of the conditions in Buchenwald. Joseph Goebbels had threatened after Wiechert’s release from concentration camp that Wiechert would be killed if he publicly voiced protest once more. (270633) $36.00
56. Wir deutsche in der Welt. Berlin: Verband Deutscher Vereine im Ausland, 1935. 184 pp. Nazi propaganda German settlements and accomplishments in Brazil Argentina South Africa et al., introduced by photos of Hilter and Rudolf Hess, some German Worker Party stamps and withdrawn from HMSO. Good. Hardcover . (270636) $24.00
57. Wolf, Diane L. Beyond Anne Frank; Hidden Children and Postwar Families in Holland. U. of California P., 2007. . 391 pp. Good +. Paperback. (270739) $12.00
58. Wordt Vervolgd Vaarwel Hergé… 1907-1983 – Lang leve Kuifje! Special Herge Issue. 98 pp. cartoonist writer of Tin Tin a homage to his work, accused of being a collaborator during the War, contains examples of his work and essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (270624) $45.00
59. Zu Martin Bubers 60. Geburtstag. 8. Februar 1938. Ein Rundbrief an die judischen Lehrer. Reichsvertretung der Juden in Deutschland., 1938. 23 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270339) $30.00
In 2015, my son Seth gave a talk at the Deerfield Arts Bank regarding Internet Security and Privacy. Originally produced by Frontier Community Access Television, I have recently acquired the footage from them and am excited to share it with you! Enjoy.
In recent months, I have had the task (and pleasure) of going through old family and historical archives collected by Jane and I. We’ve found family stories, pictures aplenty, and so much more that is keeping the past alive. Part of this project has been to have many taped interviews with my parents, aunts, uncles, and other family digitized so they can be preserved and shared. Here are the first few interviews, with my family.
My father and mother, Irving and Betty:
My father, in January 1979:
My uncle, Eliezer:
My friend and helpful computer guy is continuing to digitize these, so soon there will be more to share. I hope you enjoy these stories, and learn something new!
In her last months, Jane worked to publish a children’s picture book she wrote for her grandchildren. With the help of Lu Vincent and Tyler Brandt, as well as Jane’s loving brother Ed, and countless others, What’s a Grandparent? has been published through Schoen Books and Shires Press. Hardcover and paperback versions are available through Northshire Bookstores, both in-store and online.
It is with immense pain that I share with you the loss of my beloved, Hanna Jane Trigère, who left us on October 27, 2018. This negotiation and loss has been unspeakably difficult, and I thank everyone who was able to attend the ceremony, or visit as I sat shiva. As said in one of Jane’s favorite books:
“In one of those stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night. And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend…I shall not leave you.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
May her memory be for blessing.
1. Access to the Temples via the Water Sewer System; Solomonic Temple Zerubbabelian and Herodian Temple. Cocoa Beach Florida: George, nd. 25 pp. self published Odd interpretation of the Bible , mimeograph of handwritten manuscript. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270126) $36.00
2. Albert Phyllis. The Jewish Oath in Nineteenth Century France. TA University, 1982. 43 pp. Spiegel Lecture. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270193) $16.00
3. Amsterdamsche studenten-almanak voor het jaar 1949 1950 1951. Amsterdam: Studenten Almanak, 1949-1951. 543 595 487 pp. Jahrgang 119-121, lists courses, teachers, clubs, students, activities Important re who is teaching and what and who the students are post WW2 in Amsterdam. Very Good. Hardcover . (270213) $145.00
4. Ankori Micha. And this Forest has no end A Comparative Study in Jewish Mysticism and Depth Psychology. Tel Aviv: TAU, 1993. 271 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (270180) $36.00
5. Ankori Micha. “The heart and the spring : a comparative study in Hassidism and depth psychology.”; ha-Lev ṿeha-maʻyan : hasidut u-fsikhologyah analitit. Tel Aviv: TAU, 1991. 265 pp. In Herbew. Very Good. Paperback. (270179) $30.00
6. Baeck Leo et al. Zur Eroffnung der Ludwig Tietz Lehrwerkstatte in Jagur. [Mit Beitrn von L. Beack, O. Hirsch, M. Kreutzberger u.a.]. Reicjsvertretung der Juden in Deutschland, 1937. Tietz who died in November 1933 was active in training German Jewish youth in skills for aliyah to Palestine.(Youth Aliyah ) He was the leader of the Jewish Youth Association and noted physician. Articles include Berufausbilding in Palestine by Kreutzberger, Chanoch Reinhold on Drei Jahre Jugend Alija, Poldi Kuh, Frenzen und Moglichkeiten in Lehrwerkstatten, Evas Stern Geginnn der Jugend Alija, Rudi Baer Ludwig Tietz und die Werkleute, Georg Lubinski Ein Leben mit der Jugend and Friedrich Brodnitz Kampf um die Jewish Agency . Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270159) $100.00
7. Baeck, Leo. Von Moses Mendelssohn zu Franz Rosenzweig: Typen judischen Selbstverstandnisses in den letzten beiden Jahrhunderten. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 1958. Franz Delitzsch Vorlesungen 1958. 64 pp. Good. Wrapper. (270117) $20.00
8. Banks Edgar. Bismya: The Lost City of Adab; A Story of Adventure, of Exploration, and of Excavation Among the Ruins of the Oldest of the Buried Cities of Babylonia. Putnam, 1912. 454 pp. scratches on back cover . Good +. Hardcover . (270132) $32.00
9. Becker Dan. ‘Risalah’ shel Yėhudah ben Ḳuraysh / The Risala of Judah ben Quraysh: a critical edition. Tel Aviv University, 1964. 383 pp In Hebrew .top corners of pages bumped edges of cloth covers slightly bumped. Good. Hardcover . (270108) $125.00
10. Biletzky Eliyahu. Libel; Zionism= Racism. Tel Aviv: Amal, 1979. 177 pages mportant document. Good. Wrapper.
Responding toi the UN resolution and the attempt to deZionize Israel….countering Arab propaganda and libel. (270219) $15.00
11. Breaking the Silence Testimonial Booklet 2. Jerusalem: Breaking the Silence, 2005. 55 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270176) $20.00
12. Breaking the Silence – Women Soldiers’ Testimonies. Jerusalem: Breaking the Silence, 2009. 131 pp.top corners bumped. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270177) $40.00
13. Breaking the Silence Soldiers’ Testimonies from Hebron 2005-2007. Jerusalem: Breaking the Silence, 2008. 116 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270175) $20.00
14. Brichto Herbert. Kin, Cult, Land and Afterlife: A Biblical Complex. HUC, 1973. 105 pp. in mimeograph format. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270121) $30.00
15. Broshi Magen curator. Treasures of the Aleppo Community. Israel Museum, 1994. 25 pp. half in English and Hebrew with wonderful photos to the now destroyed community. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270217) $25.00
16. Buber Martin . Begegnung. Autobiographische Fragmente. Kohlhammer, 1961. 56 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (270116) $20.00
17. Buber Martin. Kampf um Israel: Reden und Schriften (1921-1932). Schocken Books, 1933. 463 pp. sctoch tape on top of spine. Good +. Hardcover . (270130) $36.00
18. Buber, Martin. Die Judische Bewegung; Gesammelte Aufsatze und Ansprachen 1900-1915. Berlin: Jüdischer Verlag, 1916. 254pp. Very Good. Boards.
Extremely scarce Buber title, collects his early essays on the Jewish movement. (270129) $65.00
19. Chiel, Arthur inscribed by. Jewish Experiences in Early Manitoba. Winnipeg: Manitoba Jewish Publications, 1955. 12mo 125 pp. Good. cloth. (270110) $15.00
20. Cohen Rabbi Edward. Jewish Cemeteries of Five Counties of Connecticut. The Cohen/Goldfarb Collection, Volume 2. Heritage Books. 208 pp. ex library with markings spine scotch taped This volume covers Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, Tolland and New London Counties. New Haven County and Fairfield County are represented but not complete; and as of now, the authors have found no Jewish cemeteries in Windham County. This data is presented in an alphabetical, columnar format. The information includes cemetery (in a coded format), row, name, maiden name (or other bits of information such as age or place of birth), date of death, date of birth, parents and spouse. Good. Paperback. (270095) $25.00
21. (Czechoslovakia) Steinherz, Samuel (ed.). Jahrbuch der Gesellschaft für Geschichte der Juden in der Cechoslov Republik. Prag: Flesh, 1929- 1934. Volume 1-6, consists of six of the nine volumes, ex library with markings, taped numbers on spines, volume six has a slight brown stain across the top and a bleached white stain coming down from the spine about an inch; internally in good condition and bindings are good. Good. Hardcover .: 1) Steinherz, S., Kreuzfahrer u. Juden in Prag (1096); Nettl, P., Alte u. neue judische Musiker; Bergl., J., Das Exil d. Prager Judenschaft von 1745 bis 1748. – 2) Engel, A., Die Ausweisung d. Juden aus d. königlichen Städten Mährens u. ihre Folgen; Teply, F., Die Juden in Schwihau; Lieben, S.H., Igereth Machalath, eine hebräische Chronik d. 18. Jahrhunderts; Bretholz, B., Die Judenschaft einer mährischen Kleinstadt Markt Pirnitz im XVIII. Jahrhundert. – 3) Donath, O., Judisches in der neuen tschechischen Literatur; Jakobovits, T., Die Judenabzeichen in Böhmen; Roubik, F., Die Judensiedlungen in Böhmen auf d. Ortsplänen vom Jahre 1727; Heilig, B., Die Vorläufer d. mährischen Konfektionsindustrie in ihrem Kampf mit d. Zünften. – 4) Heilig, B., Ziele u. Wege einer Wirtschaftsgeschichte d. Juden in d. Tschechoslowakischen Republik; Münzer, Z., Die Altneusynagoge in Prag; Jakobovits, T., Die Erlebnisse d. Oberrabbiners Simon Spira-Wedeles in Prag (1640-1679); Rokycana, J., Zur Geschichte d. Juden in Pardubitz. – 5) Rachmuth, M., Zur Wirtschaftsgeschichte d. Prager Juden; Jakobovits, T., Das Prager u. Bohmische Landesrabbinat Ende d. siebzehnten u. Anfang d. achtzehnten Jahrhunderts; Adler, S., Das Judenpatent von 1797; Singer, L., Zur Geschichte d. Toleranzpatente in d. Sudetenländern. – (270150) $175.00
22. Ewald Geo (signed by A Geiger) . Grammatica critica Linguae Arabicae, cum brevi metrorum doctrina; Volumen Prius Volumen Posterius (two volumes). Leipzig : Hahn, 1831. 394+ 348 pp. marbled worn boards, cloth type repaired spine, Signature of Abraham Geiger ( A.Geiger) on paste down of volume one with his handwriting in Hebrew above in small script and small library stamps of Bibl. d Verein Isr. Rel. Lehrer Frankfurt am Main, volume two is also ex library from a different library. Good-. Boards.
Geiger was considered the founding father of Reform Judaism. (270088) $225.00
23. Excerpts from Hell, Fire, Brimstone. Cocoa Beach Florida: George, nd. 30 pp. self published Odd interpretation of the Bible , mimeograph of handwritten manuscript. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270127) $36.00
24. Farhi Yosef Shabtai. Tokpo shel Yosef. Livorno: ʻal yede Shelomoh Bilporṭi ṿe-ḥaveraṿ, (Belforte), 1892. 60 half pages+ 1, paper yellowing but not brittle, Biography of Yosef ha-Tsaddik (Biblical Joseph) , rebound modern plasticky boards . Good-. Boards. (270146) $100.00
25. Freund Else. Die Existenzphilosophie Franz Rosenzweigs; Ein Beitrag Zur Analyse Seines Werkes “Der Stern Der Erlosung. “. Meiner, 1959. 196 pp. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270138) $20.00
26. Glazerson M. The mystical glory of Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, and Succoth. Feldheim, 1981. 92 pp. some dog eared pages. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270188) $30.00
27. Goldschmidt Lazarus. Mischle Schualim: Die Fuchsfabeln des Berekhja Ben Natronaj. Berlin: Reiss, 1921. 121 pp. In Hebrew limited to 750 copies, top of vellum spine missing and torn, about 3/4 inch loss. Over a hundred fables, called Mishle Shualim (Fox Fables) written by the Thirteenth century Jewish ethical writer, grammarian, philospher, esteemed translator, and poet, Berechiah ben Natronai ha-Nakdan. The fables arise from both Berachyah’s creativity and musings and loans from Aesop’s fables, the Talmud, and also the Hindus fables. Good. Boards.
Illustrated by Leo Michelson . Michelson participated in the birth of German Expressionism and then was with the Paris School before he fled Europe in 1939 for New York City. Beautifully rendered. (270097) $225.00
28. Goldstein, Julius ( begrunder). Der Morgen [Monatsschrift der Juden in Deutschland] Jahrgang 1-10 and 12. Berlin: Philo Verlag, 1925-1934 + 1936/1937. eleven volumes each complete , in original blue cloth ,Periodical was published until 1938for a total of 14 volumes , paper in very good shape until 1931 when starts yellowing but not brittle (12 Jahrgang is Heft 1-12 April 1936- – Mar 1937) good. Boards.
Articles/poems/essays by Leo Baeck, Thomas Mann, Franz Kafka, Joseph Roth, Hugo Hahn. Julius Bab, Max Dienemann etc Amazing assortment of scholarship.Important reflection on German Jewish life. (270210) $525.00
29. Grade Chaim. The Yeshiva and Masters and Disciples Two Volumes. Bobbs Merrill, 1976 and 1977. First Printing. Two volumes: Volume One lacks dj volume Two has dj that is worn and sunned with slight chips, Volume One is signed by Grade In English and volume two is signed in English and inscribed in Yiddish and signed in Yiddish by Grade in 1978 Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
“The monumental, two-volume novel Tsemakh Atlas (1967–1968; translated as The Yeshiva) is Grade ‘s richest work about the Musar world and its attempt to shape the ethical personality. Through the memorable character of Tsemakh Atlas, a tortured teacher of Musar who is trapped between its self-abnegating demands, the enticements of the secular world, and his own elemental desires, readers enter a universe of high religious ideals, intellectual and moral debate, and intense spiritual struggle.” From The YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe edited by Gershon Hundert pp. 626 (270301) $325.00
30. Hazan-Brunet, Nathalie und Ada Ackerman. Futur Anterieur – l’Avant-garde et le livre yiddish (1914-1939). Skira, 2009. 272 pp. Magnificent work detailing Yiddish artists and their book arts, inspired work, with many accompanying essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (268650) $65.00
31. Hulsen Julius. Der Alte Judenfriedhof in Frankfurt a. M. Frankfurt-am-Main: Vorstand der Israelitischen Gemeinde., 1932. 2. Auflage. 17 pp. + 13 abbildungen. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270170) $22.00
32. Jacobs, Louis. Seeker of Unity: The Life and Works by Aaron of Starosselje. NY: Basic Books, 1966. 1st. 167 pp. dj torn. good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270183) $17.00
33. Jacobson Bernhard. Yamim Noraim. Arbeitsplan und Stoffsammlung. Berlin: Tenuat Tora Wa Awoda,, 1936. 117 pp. tiny stain first few pages mew covers . Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270103) $25.00
34. Kahane, Rabbi Meir. “Kahane” The magzine of the authentic Jewish idea). Brooklyn: Kahane , April 1976-Spring 1984. April-December 1976, January-May 1977, January 1978-May/June 1978, September and December 1978 April 1979 Summer 1983 Winter and Sping 1984 each issue about 30 pages, slight library marks Scarce important work. Good +. Individual issues in library binding.
Articles on Jewish life in USA, aliyah to Israel, USA politics, defeating the Arab threats and Nazism and Anti-Semitism by founder of the Jewish Defense League, Kahane made aliyah in 1971 and argued for expulsion of Arabs from Judea and Samaria and was heavily involved in right wing politics in Israel. (270091) $250.00
35. Kaplan Aryeh. A Call to the Infinite. Maznaim, 1986. 257 pp. lacks free end paper. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270184) $20.00
36. Katsh Abraham editor. Yigal Hazon: Hamishim Shirim Hadashim Me-Tekufat Sefarad/ Yiggal Hazon: A 13th century Barcelona manuscript of unpublished poems from the Golden Age of Spain in the baron David Guenzeberg Collection in the Lenin Public Library in Moscow. Newman, 1964. 141 pp. dj torn. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270134) $36.00
37. Klatzkin, Dr Jakob, Elbogen, Dr I, Redakteurs. Encyclopaedia Judaica: Das Judentum in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Berlin: Verlag Eschkol, 1928-1934. All ten volumes present. Volume ten is very scarce. Letters A-L; quarter leather, tears to crowns of spine, leather rubbed, sides of spine some wear,, volume 8 lackssmall piece from top of spine, Good. Boards.
Only 10 volumes were published due to Nazi intervention. Important reference Key scholars involved. Major tomes. Masterful massive scholarly undertaking. [VOL.I]: Aach-Akademien / [VOL.II]: Akademien-Apostasie / [VOL.III]: Apostel-Beerajim / [VOL.IV]: Beer-bing – Caligari / [VOL.V]: Cahan-Draguignan / [VOL.VI]: Drama-Gabinius / [VOL.VII]: Gabirol-Hess / [VOL.VIII]: Hesse-Jerusalem / [VOL.IX]: Jerusalem-Kimschi / [VOL.X]: Kimchit-Lyra. (270224) $300.00
38. Lilienthal D. Sidoer tov lehodot ochtenddienst voor Sjabbat en weekdagen. Amsterdam: Verbond van Liberaal-Religieuze Joden in Nederland, 1996. 274 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (270209) $45.00
39. Littmann David. Protected Peoples Under Islam. Geneve: Centre D’information Et De Documentation Sur Le Moyen-Orient,, 1976. 12 p. top corners dog eared. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270182) $20.00
40. The Location of: The Ancient Levitical City and the Early Temples
; 1. Solomon’s Temple 2. Zerubbabel’s Temple 3. Herod’s Temple. Cocoa Beach Florida: George, nd. 35 pp. self published Odd interpretation of the Bible , mimeograph of handwritten manuscript. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270125) $40.00
41. Mackover Nechama. Hezekut shel HaYeled HeYehudi Ba. Jerusalem: Vaad Haleumi, 1942. 47 pp. in library binder slight library markings, In Hebrew. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Legal rights of the Jewish child (258335) $18.00
42. Magnes Judah M. Reiner, Lord Samuel, E. Simon, M. Smilansky. Palestine- Divided or United; The case for a bi-national Palestine Before the United Nations. Jerusalem: IHUD, 1947. 104 pp. Good. Wrapper. (270128) $85.00
43. Mahzor LeChag HaShevuot. Roedelheim: Wolf Heidenheim, 1827. 124 double pages calf spine worn and torn along sides boards worn. Good-. Boards. (270207) $100.00
44. Mahzor LeChag HaSucot. Roedelheim: Wolf Heidenheim, 1821. 103 double pages bound with Mahzor LeShimin Atseret VeLeSimhat Torah with Maariv Sharit and Conclusion about 200 pp. calf spine worn and torn along sides boards worn. Good-. Boards. (267761) $100.00
45. Maps and views from the Moldovan family collection : Jerusalem, center of the world.. HUC, 1983. 15 pp. exhibit catalog. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Exhibition held Sept. 18, 1984-March 1, 1985. (270135) $30.00
46. Mayer Egon. A Demographic Revolution in American Jewry. Franke Center Univ of Michigan, 1992. 40 pp. Belin Lecture. Very good condition. Hardback & DJ. (270195) $16.00
47. Nadel George editor. History and Theory: Studies in the Philosophy of History. Volume One. Mouton, 1957? 1961?. 309 pp stiff wrapper with taped over spine few creased apges .includes essay by I berlin Ben Halpern Gabriel Kolko et al followed by Bibliography of Works in the Philosphy of History 1945-1957compiled by John Rule. Very Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (270104) $85.00
48. Otsar Yisrael Dov ? on the work of Rav Nahman of Bratslav. Lukatei Halachot Shulchan Arukh 8 Volumes. HaAish Shek Tikade ad Baat Hamachiach, 1990s?. Arukh Hayim three volumes Yorah Daah 2 volumes Even HaEzer One volume Hoshen HaMishpat two volumes each about 200 or more pages . Very Good. Hardcover . (270198) $250.00
49. Piquemal Michel. Les Philo Fables; Mesholim Philosophime LeYiladim. Achuxat Bayit, 2006. 106 pp. In Hebrew humorous work translated from the French. Very Good. Hardcover . (270196) $25.00
50. Pittman Holly. Ancient Art in Miniature: Ancient Near Eastern Seals from the Collection of Martin and Sarah Cherkasky. Metropolitan Museum, 1987. 80 pp. collection of essays with checklist. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270206) $36.00
51. Plaut Rabbi W Gunther. Page Two : Ten Years of “News and Views”. Toronto: Holy Blossom, 1971. 150 pp.Refugee Rabbi in Canada. ten years of columns appearing in his synagogue bulletin. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270101) $23.00
52. Polak G M.L. van Ameringen. Mahzor shel Rosh ha-shanah : gebeden der Nederlandsche Israelieten, voor den eersten dag van det Nieuwjaars-Feest : miet een historisch oversigt bewerkt door G.I. Polak en M.L. van Ameringen. Amsterdam: Joachimsthal, 5616/1856. 101+ 101 double pages paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover . (270200) $75.00
53. Polak G. Gebeden der nederlandsche israelieten voor den avond van den Verzoendag, hebreeuwsch en nederduitsch, met een historisch overzicht; Arvit LeYom Kippur ve Mahzor Leyom Kippur. Amsterdam: Joachimsthal, 5617/1857. 64+210 pp. double pages with a few upside down pages, and a list of subscribers by towns paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover . (270199) $75.00
54. Polak G. Gebeden der Nederlandsche Israeliten Nine Volumes. Amsterdam: joachimstal, 1864 -5. two volumes for Pesach, two volumes for Sukkot, two volumes for Rosh Hashanah, one volume for Yom Kippur,one volume for Arvit Le Yom Kippur, ,one volume for Shavuot, each about 150 or more double pages, same red paper spines and board, paper yellowing but not brittle . Good. Hardcover . (270216) $200.00
55. Polak Gabriel Isaac M. L. van Ameringen. Maḥzor : minhhag Ashkenaz = Gebeden der Nederlandsche Israëlieten … van het Loofhutten-Feest ; Hebreeuwsh en Nederduitsch met een Historisch oversigt bound with Maḥzor minhag ʼAškenaz le-Šabat ḥol ha-moʻed šel Sukot uli-Šemini ʻAz̲eret we-Śimḥat Torah = Gebeden der Nederlandsche Israëlieten, voor den Sabbath der middeldagen van het Loofhutten-feest, het Slot-feest en het Vreugde-feest der wet : Hebreeuwsch en Nederduitsch, met een historisch overzigt. Amsterdam: Joachimsthal, 5618/1857. 84+162 pp.. double pages paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover . (270202) $75.00
56. Polak Gabriel Isaac M. L. van Ameringen. Maḥzor minhag Askenaz le-yom rišon we-šeni šel Pesaḥ = Gebeden der Nederlandsche Israëlieten, voor den eersten en tweeden dag van het Paasch-feest : Hebreeuwsch en Nederduitsch, met een historisch overzigt. Amsterdam: Joachimsthal, 5616/1856. 86+158 pp. double pages s paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Hardcover . (270201) $75.00
57. Polak Gabriel Isaac . Areshet sefatayim, hu seder tefilah le-khol ha-shanah … / Gebeden der Israelieten voor het geheele jaar met nauwkeurige aanwijzingen der voorschriften bij de gebeden in de Nederlandsche taal. Amsterdam: Joachimsthal, 5674/1914. 150 pp.. double pages = 28 pp.decorated boards ,base and crown of spineworn . Good. Hardcover . (270208) $75.00
58. Proceedings of Breira’s First Annual Membership Conference. February 20-22, 1977. Breira, 1977. 27 pp. Includes a Brief History of breira, Breira’s National Platform, Breira Finacial Report, Breira Board of Directors. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270190) $20.00
59. Rabinovitz Zvi Meir. Ginze Midrash: The Oldest Form of Rabbinic Midrashim According to Geniza Manuscripts. Tel Aviv University, 1976. 323 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (270111) $40.00
60. Reisel M. Observations on Ehyeh asher ben Ehyeh, Huha, and Shem ha- Meforash (Dissertation univ. Amsterdam). Gorcum, 1957. 134 pp. tears to spine. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (270191) $42.00
61. Reisel Max. Het Jodendom in de moderne samenleving. Enige feiten typerend voor het jodendom in het licht van de herrezen staat Israel. Bouchet, 1959. 138 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (270105) $25.00
62. Rosenwald Lessing and Berger Elmer. Council News. American Council for Judaism, Jan 1951-December 1952. Issues volume 5 number 1 to Volume 6 number 11 , about forty issues, slight library marks, reports on activities of various chapters. original mimeographed issues. Good. library binding.
Tenets of ACJ Nationality and relgion are distinct, reject concept that Jews outside of Israel are in exile,, nationalism of the state of Israel should reside within that state, no Jew or group of Jews can represent or speak for the Jews of America….From the beginning, Elmer Berger was squarely in the camp of those Reform rabbis who opposed the Columbus Platform of 1937 which moderated the movement’s original anti-Zionism and rejection of traditional ritual. It was Berger’s mentor, Louis Wolsey, who would in June 1942 issue a call to convene the American Council for Judaism, and who hired Berger as its first executive director. In the organization’s struggle against the Zionist program adopted at the Biltmore Conference in May 1942, Berger increasingly became the movement’s public face, particularly with the publication of his book The Jewish Dilemma in 1945, which argued that Zionism was a surrender to the racial myths about the Jews and that assimilationism was still the best path for the Jews in the modern world. (Wikipedia) (270090) $175.00
63. Schirire T. Hebrew Magic Amulets: Their Decipherment and Interpretation. Behrman House, 1966. 180 pp. bottom covers creased both corners , very scarce book. Good +. Paperback.
The book includes an alphabetical check-list of words of power (shemoth) used in amulets and an appendix with 54 b&w plates with transcription of the inscriptions on about 50 silver amulets (270174) $65.00
64. Shatil Jonathan. A Psychologist in a Bratslav Yeshiva Jewish Mysticism in Actual Practice; Psikholog bi-yeshivat Braslav : mistikah Yehudit, halakhah le-ma’aseh. Tel Aviv: 1993. 216 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (270178) $27.00
65. Simon A. Ha Mashbar Bezionut VeHaInuch. Tel Aviv: Bitaon, 1947. 40 pp in Hebrew, bookplate and slight library markings ,inscribed by the author, in library protective binding. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270221) $15.00
66. Skoss Solomon editor. he Hebrew-Arabic Dictionary of the Bible known as Kitab Jami Al-Alfaz (Agron) of David ben Abraham Al-Fasi the Karaite (Tenth Cent.)]. Edited from Manuscripts in the State Public Library in Leningrad and in the Bodleian Library in Oxford Two Volumes. Yale University Press, 1936 + 1945. Two volumes volume One slight tear to crown of spine, Volume two quarter inch. Good +. Hardcover .
Yale Oriental Series, Researches – Volume XX / Volume XXI. (270098) $275.00
67. True Israel Versus the Image. Cocoa Beach Florida: George, nd. 31 pp. self published Odd interpretation of the Bible , mimeograph of handwritten manuscript. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270124) $36.00
68. Warfield David. Ghetto Silhouettes. Pott, 1902. 189 pp. crown of spine frayed Stories of life on the Loer East Side at the turn of the Century, based on true stories collected by social workers. Good +. Hardcover . (270153) $10.00
69. Wischnitzer Rachel and Mark. Rimon Me’asef eti Ivri le-Omanut ule-Sifrut, Hoveret 1, 1922 – Hoveret 6, 1924/ Rimon: Zeitschrift für Kunst und Literatur, Heft 1, 1922 – Heft 6, 1924.Five issues lacks issue 5. Berlin: Rimon, 1922-24. In Hebrew 5 issues of six. lacking issue five, images in good shape, three and four are bound together. , 48, 48, 48, 48, 40,  pp. issue one top corners furled, edges frayed on some issues. Good condition. Stiff Wrapper.
First periodical entirely devoted to the study of Jewish Art, magnificent work. Articles in Number One are “Moderne Kunst und wir,” Rachel Vishnitzer, “Cezanne und sein Werk,” J. Meier=Graefe, “Lichter,” W. Korolenko, “Stimmung. Gedicht,” J. Kacenelson, “Gedichte,” M. Goldenberg, “Georg Brandes,” Dr. H. Bieber, “Biblische Erzählungen. äesthetisch analysiert, ” Prof. E. Taeubler, L. Sew. Ein Nachruf,” S. Posner, “Am Ufer der Desna. Erzählung,” J. Steinberg, “Ethik und Aesthetik,” M.J. Berdyczewski, “Abendwind. Gedicht,” J. Fichmann, “Die Broschüre. Zu L. Pinsker’s 100. Geburtstag,” Z. Wojsalwski, “Der Untergang des Abendlandes,” Dr. J. Kaufman, Im Banne. Gedichte,” J. Koplowitz, “Korolenko,” Dr. D.A. Freidmann. Articles in Number 2 are “On Mediaeval and Modern Art,” F. Landsberger, “To the Daughter (Sonnets),” S. Ben-Zion, “The Modern Portrait,” G. Marzynski, “The Lithograph, A Chapter from the History of Graphic Art,” R. Inbar, “Max Liebermann. On the occasion of his 75th Anniversary,” R. Vishnitzer, “On the Threshold. A Story,” A. Feuerstein, “In the Dusk. A poem,” Zuri=li, “The Mystery of Conversation. An Essay, M.A.Z.=K., “Walter Rathenau and his Teaching,” Prof. A. Kulishcher, “The Origins of Jewish Mysticism,” S.A. Horodetzki, “The Knight of our Literature,” Z. Woislawski, “On Exaggeration in Journalism,” M. Kleinmann, “Arthur Schnitzler. 60th Anniversary,” H. Bieber, “Guide to the Mediaeval Illuminations.” Article in Number 3 are “Wall Paintings in Synagogues of the 17th and 18th Centuries,” E. Toeplitz, “The Synagogue of Mohilev, with illustrations,” El. L[issitzky], “Jewish Artists in Russia, with reproductions of works by Chagall, Altman, Sterenberg and Lissitzki,” Henryk Berlewi, “Habimah. The Hebrew Theatre in Moscow, with illustrations,” A. Patkin, “The Magen David, with the reproduction of an amulat from the genizah,” M. Gaster, “Reminiscences of the Late Hebrew Author S.J. Hurwitz, with a portrait,” S. Dubnow, “Under the Spell of the Sun. A Poem” Avigdor Feuerstein, “On the Posthumous Work of Israel Wachser,” Ch. N. Bialik, “Seven Days. A Fairy Tale,” Israel Wachser, “Last Year. A Fairy Tale,” Wachser, “The Orphan and the Widow. A Story,” S.J. Agnon, “Bialik’s Fiftieth Anniversary. A Tribute,” M. Kleinman, “Bialik, The Master Poet. An Essay,” Saul Tshernichovski, “Johann Reuchlin. On the Occasion of the 400th Anniversary of His Death,” Dr. Simon Bernfeld, “On Taine’s Philosophy of Art,” Rachel Vishnitzer, “Art and Letters,” R.V. Articles in Number 4 are “The Motive of the Porch in Book Ornamentation, with illustrations,” Rachel Vishnitzer, “The Engraving. A Chapter from the History of Graphic Arts, with reproductions of works by Rembrandt, Jozef Israels, Max Liebermann, Hermann Struck, H. Glicenstein and Jacob Steinhardt,” Hermann Struck, “An Amorite Version of the Deluge Story,” Professor G. Selikovitz, “Hymnes of the Egyptian King Akhnaton and the Queen Nepher-Nephru-Aton, translated from the English Version in Breasted’s Religion and Thought in Ancient Egypt,” S. Tshernichovski, “Leonardo Da Vinci. A Biographical Study, with a portrait of Leonardo,” Olga Pevsner-Schatz, “A Poem,” Jacob Koplevitz, “Amor Dei Sentimentalis,” Dr. R. Seligman, “From Max Nordau’s Criticisms on Art,” “Max Nordau as an Art Critic,” Rachel Vishnitzer, “Asriel Moses. A Story,” S. Agnin, “poems,” Samuel Loites, “Simmel’s Theory of Modern Civilization,” M. Schwarz, “The Rotten Tree. A Legend,” Rachel Feigenberg, “Art and Letter,” R.V. and H.B. Articles in Number 6 are Rachel Vischnitzer “Emanuele Glicenstein, Prof Selikovitz Lamentations in Ancient Egypt, W Wolfradt A Portrait by Max Band. Prof Landsbeger Scuptue and Painting, Uri Gruenberg A Poem, E Toeplitz Early Jewish Ornamented And Gilded Glasses, Auguste Comte Villiers De L’Isle Adam A Story, J N SImchoni On Prof Neumark’s History of Jewish Philosophy, D J Silberbusch Reminiscences on Solomon Schechter, Dr A Levinson Tobias Cohen (270269) $285.00
70. Wortman David editor. The Exodus Haggadah From Tyranny To Freedom: A Celebration. UJA Rabbinic Cabinet, 1990. 30 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270189) $30.00
71. Ye’Or Bat. Dhimmi Peoples: Oppressed Nations. Editions d”avenir, 1984. reprint. 25 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270181) $20.00
72. Yerushalmi Yosef. The Re-education of Marranos in the Seventeenth Century; Leo Baeck Institute. New York: Univ of CIncinnati, 1980. Third Feimberg Memorial Lecture 16 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (270194) $15.00
1. Algamil Dayan Yosef Ben Ovadia. Karaite Jewry in Egypt in Modern Times. Karaite Center, 1985. 342 pp.In Hebrew and English. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269968) $30.00
2. An Israelite probably Houston George . Israel vindicated : being a refutation of the calumnies propagated respecting the Jewish nation ; in which the objects and views of the American society for ameliorating the condition of the Jews are investigated. New York: Abraham Collins, 1820. Total of 110 pages, has missing pages .pp. 41-88 copied from another copy on firm paper very readable, sfep, , fighting the growing missionary movement to convert Jews in the USA; Rosenbach 210 Good. library binding.
Probably the work of a Gentile journalist George Houston financed by Collins and others…. Plea on behalf of real equality for the Jews ,followed pattern of Montesquieu in Lettres Persanes, strategy of letters as a literary device. Two American Jews, one in NY and one in Philadelphia wrote to each other and discussed Jewish problems of the day. They proved to their satisfaction that Jesus was not divine, that he was not the Messiah and may never have existed, Goal of the author was to do away with anything that impeded social relationships between Jews and Gentiles. Book’s bold approach and unabashed criticism of Christianity’s beginnings was denounced as calumnies by some Christians. Three years later Israel Vindicated was published in England, the first “Jewish” book to gain recognition abroad.(from Jacob Marcus United States Jewry) Important work. (269770) $115.00
3. Ankori Zvi editor. Mi-Lisbon le-Saloniḳi ṿe-Ḳushta : [annual Conference on Jews in Greece – 1986, on the 450th anniversary of the great eastbound migration of Portuguese Marranos following the establishment of inquisition in Portugal (1536)]. Tel Aviv University, 1988. 154 pp. eight essays In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (266247) $54.00
4. Boulouque Clemence. Juives d’Afrique du Nord : Cartes postales (1885-1930) Collection de Gerard Silvain. Bleu, 2005. 137 pp. taped number on spine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (263686) $37.00
5. Buckingham J S. Travels in Palestine through the Countries of Bashan and Gilead East of the River Jordan; Including a visit to the Cities of Gezara and Gamala. London: Longman Hurst, 1822. Second Edition. Volume 1 of 2, 402 pages; title page and frontispiece of Buckingham some damp staining, map of Palestine torn, map of Jerusalem intact, beautifully rebound and with new endpapers, some browning to fore edges. Good. Boards. (269768) $275.00
6. Cassuto U. Ha-Yehudim be-Firenze} (The Jews of Florence in the Renaissance). Transl. from Italian by M. Hartom. Introduction to the Hebrew edition by Ben-Zion Dinur. Machon Ben Zvi, 1967. 392 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266244) $58.00
7. Dawid Ganz; Spitz, Zevi Hirsch Levi of Pressburg (Offenbach). Zemah Dawid :(Tsemah David) …nithaleq li selosah halaqim. Offenbach : Hirsch Spitz of Pressburg, 1768. last few pages worm holing at bottom, title page darkish discoloration, bottom of page 1 lacking , needs rebinding, leather covers torn and worn reading copy, in two parts first part 38 pages and second 82 pages ie double sided. Fair. Full Leather.
First published in Prague in 1592. Messianic speculation with histories year by year till 1592, went through many editions “. It is divided into two parts, the first containing the annals of Jewish history, the second those of general history. The author consulted for the second part of his work the writings of Spangenberg, Laurentius Faustus, Hubertus Holtzius, Georg Cassino, and Martin Borisk. Though Gans’s annals are very dry and have no great intrinsic value, they are memorable as the first work of this kind among the German Jews, who at that time appreciated historical knowledge but slightly. Indeed, in his preface to the second volume the author deemed it necessary to justify himself for having dealt with so profane a subject as the annals of general history, and endeavored to demonstrate that it was permitted to read history on Saturdays.”(JEVol V pp. 565 (269705) $375.00
8. Edrehi Dr M. An historical account of The Ten Tribes settled beyond the river Sambatyon,Iin the East. translated from the original manuscript and composed by the Rev. Dr. M. Edrehi, native of Morocco. London: printed for the author. Philadelphia: reprinted for his s. Philadelphia: Isaac Edrehi, 5613. Foxed frontispiece portrait of author, protected with original tissue paper. Book plate and signature of C B Farwell important Chicago politician and Senator Original decorative binding with gilt lettering on spine 290+ 39 pp. crown and base of spine tears. Good. Boards.
Moses Edrehi was an itinerant Rabbi originating in Morocco, who spent some time in Europe, especially England, and finally settled in Israel, where he took the title of British Consul at Jerusalem. This edition was set up by his son, Isaac Edrehi. Information about Jews in unusal places detailed. Scarce work Singerman 1277 (269769) $165.00
9. Emmanuel, Isaac S. Precious Stones of the Jews of Salonica [Vol. 2}. Ben Zvi, 1983. 421- 963 pp.In Hebrew dj slight tears. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269971) $50.00
10. Feiwel, Berthold (vorwort). Judischer Almanach 5664. Berlin: Judischer Verlag, 1904. neuausgabe. 315 pp. hinges started, slight tears to spine, some loose pages, pages yellowing but not brittle, first published in 1902 Good. boards. (268446) $55.00
11. Frommer Myrna. It Happened in the Catskills: An Oral History in the Words of Busboys, Bellhops, Guests, Proprietors, Comedians, Agents, and Others Who Lived It. SUNY, 1996/2006. 244 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (270010) $18.00
12. Furstenthal K J. Rabbinische Anthologie oder Sammlung von Erzahlungen, Sprichwortern, Weisheitsregeln, Lehren und Meinungen der alten Hebraer. Ein unterhaltends und zugleich belehrendes Buch für Jedermann. Aus den Quellen entnommen, ubersetzt und erlautert und mit den nothigen Registern versehen. M. Friedlander,, 1834?. chipped half-leather, remnants of a paper label cover a green leather label on the spine, marbled paper covered boards, lacking the t endpapers, xvi, 384 pp., indexes, errata From the library of Rabbiner J Nobel. Good. Hardcover . (269893) $56.00
13. Golinkin David. The Status of Women in Jewish Law Responsa. Schechter Institute, 2001. 54+ 250 pp. In English and Hebrew, corners bumped. Very Good. Hardcover . (249178) $57.00
14. Grafman Rafi and Mann Vivian. Crowning Glory; Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum. NY: Jewish Musueum, 1996. First edition. Magnificent volume contains over eight hundred duotone illustartions and thirty three plates in color describes the nearly one thousand Torah ornaments in the Museum’s holding. Large 8vo 398 pages . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (269950) $30.00
15. Grossman, Cissy. A Temple Treasury: The Judaica Collection of Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York. NY: Hudson Hills Press, 1989. oblong 8vo 198 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Magnificent work containing mark examples of Jewish ritual objects and art. (269951) $20.00
16. Grotte, Dr. Alfred (Hg.). Beitrage zir Entwickelung des Synagogenbaues in Deutschland, Böhmen und im ehemaligen Konigtum Polen vom XI. bis Anfang des XIX. Jahrhunderts. Berlin: Der Zirkel, 1915. Schoen Books Reprint (2007). 104 pp. ex library with markings and pocket on front end paper page creased, covers smudged, lacks corner part of title page internally clean, reading copy With many illustrations. Good-. Boards.
Same title as Deutsche, bohmische und polnische Synagogentypen (269953) $95.00
17. Grotte, Dr. Alfred (Hg.). Deutsche, bohmische und polnische Synagogentypen; vom XI bis Anfang des XIX Jahrhunderts. Berlin: Der Zirkel, 1915. Schoen Books Reprint (2007). 104 pp. Mit 24 Tafeln und 60 Abbildungen. Hrg. mit Unterstutzung der Gesellschaft zur Erforschung judischer Kunstdenkmaler in Frankfurt-Main. Filled with photos of the synagogues, the interiors and the floor plans, even the architectural measurements! endpapers slightly soiled. Good. Boards.
Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft zur Erforschung judischer Kunstdenkmäler (Eingetragener Verein) zu Frankfurt a. Main VII. VIII.] Also has the titke if Beitrage zir Entwickelung des Synagogenbaues in Deutschland, Böhmen und im ehemaligen Konigtum Polen vom XI. bis Anfang des XIX. Jahrhunderts (269954) $150.00
18. The Illustrated Hagada. First Jerusalem Edition with original illustrations and designs by Arieh Al Hanani. Haggadah shel Pesach [Passover Pessach Haggadah]. Jerusalem: Hamadpis Liphshitz,, 1930. 63 pp. Yudlov 3276. Yaari 2142.Musical notes by the composer S Rosowasky, wooden(walnut wood?) illustrated cover of” Egyptian warriors pursung them” rather unique. Good. Boards.
the first illustrated Haggadah printed in Eretz Israel.(according to Irv Ungar) (269755) $325.00
19. Illustrated Haggadot of The Eighteenth Century. Israel Musuem, 1983. 109 pp. slight foxing to end paper exhibit catalog. Good +. Wrapper. (268839) $15.00
20. Jean-Baptiste De Boyer, Marquis D’Argens. The Jewish Spy: being a philosophical, historical, and critical correspondence, by letters, which lately passed between certain Jews in Turky, Italy, France, &c. Translated from the originals into French, by the Marquis d’Argens; and now done into English. The third edition. 5 vols. London: Miller, 1766 + 1765 (last volume). Volume 1 New title page, covers worn and torn 302 pp. some browning to pages, Vol 2 312 pp. + Index browning wear to covers,slight library mark to tp, Vol 3 322 pp. + Index, same condition as others Vol 4 317 pp.+ Index slight librry mark tp same condition Vol. 5 366 pp. + Index slight library mark tp same condition as others, new cloth spines with new titles, rest of tome is calf ,in special cloth box. Good. cloth spine and calf boards.
. Translated from the original into French, by the Marquis d’Argens; and now done into English. A translation of the first 40 letters only of Lettres juives. “The original ‘Lettres juives, ou correspondence philosophique, historique et critique ’ began publication as a series of weekly pamphlets as early as March or April, 1736. By 1737, a year after they were printed at The Hague in book form, they were well known throughout France. The first English edition, entitled The Jewish Spy, appeared in London in 1739 (first forty letters only) – followed by four more volumes in 1740. and subsequent editions had five volumes . Matters relating to Jews and Judaism occupy only a small portion of The Jewish Spy, but they engaged some sixteen letters completely [letters 1, 23, 36, etc. ], and references are scattered through no less than seventy others. D’Argens, though frequently salting his letters with earthy and ribald humour – often anti-clerical, rarely descends to jesting about Jews. Transparently, the author is no Judaeophile. He offers many harsh chastisements of both Faith and People. Just as he uses Judaism as a constant foil against the weaknesses of Christianity, he exalts Karaism time and again to the detraction of Rabbinism or traditional Judaism. Undoubtedly he helped create the new atmosphere that made Emancipation possible by the end of the century. “(Stanley Brav, ‘Jews and Judaism in the Jewish Spy’; Studies in Bibliography and Booklore, volume 4, June 1960). (268185) $275.00
21. Jsoephus Flavius (Lautenbach Conrad) translator into German. Flavij Josephi des hochberuhmten judischen Geschichtschreibers, Historien und Bucher : Von alten judischen Geschichten, zwentzig, sambt eynem Von seinem Leben, Vom jüdischen Krieg, und der Statt Jerusalem, und des gantzen Lands Zerstorung siben, Von der Juden altem Herkommen wider Apionem Grammaticum zwey, Von Meysterschafft der Vernunfft, und der Machabeer Marter, eyns : alles auss dem griechischen Exemplar bound with Egesippi, des hochberuhmten furtrefflichen christlichen Geschichtschreibers : fünff Bücher : vom Jüdischen Krieg; Egesippi des Hochberuhmten Furtrefflichen christlichen Geschichtschreibers V. buchers: vom judischen Krieg und endlicher zerstohrung der Herzlichen und Gewaltigen statt Jerusalem Pseudo-Hegesippus.; Conrad Lautenbach. Rihel, 1581. 524 pp. + Register, 119 pp. + register First publsihed 1574 over 100 woodcuts, after Tobias Stimmer by Chr. Stimmer and Ch. Von Sichem. Antiquities of the Jews in twenty books, pigskin on wooden boards, remains of brass clasp on front cover, blind sta,ped decoratec cover with image of a gentleman holding a sword and a justice scale, two lines of Latin below illegible, name Hans Behan printed and barely visible is the date 1585, back cover panel is of woman and two lines of illegible Latin., starts with Creation and goes through Old Testament onward to the Jewish wars of CE 70. Good. Boards.
Hegesippus. Presumed name of the author of a free Latin translation, in five books, of the “Wars of the Jews” of Josephus lived in the second half of the fourth century. The name is merely a corruption of “Josephus” it occurs as “Josephus” as early as the fifth century, in Eucherius, and as late as the tenth, in Widerkind of Saxony. In the latter part of the Ambrosian manuscript (8th or 9th cent.) the heading “Josippi Liber Primus” has been changed by a later hand to “Egesippi.” A Bern manuscript of the ninth century has “Hegesippus” while a Vatican manuscript of the ninth and tenth centuries has “Ambrosius” as the author, though without any foundation. The text of Josephus is treated very freely in Hegesippus— mostly in a shortened form. It was first printed at Paris, 1510, and has been often reprinted. It was used by the author of the Hebrew “Yosippon.” See Josephus, (JE) Worldcat says the following about Egesippi” This work is a translation of a Latin christological version of Josephus’ De bello Judaico, dating from ca. 367-374 A.D. It is of uncertain authorship but cited as the work of “Hegesippus” of “Egesippus.” It was transmitted among the works of and sometimes attributed to Ambrose, Bishop of Milan.” (269405) $1,360.00
22. Klein Shmuel. Sefer ha-yishuv: otsar ha-yedi‘ot veha-reshomot, ha-ketuvot veha-zikhronot, she-nishtamru ba-Yisrael uva-Amim ba-lashon ha-ivrit uba-sha’ar al yishuv Yisra’el ve-toldotov be-artso mi-yeme hurban Bayit sheni ad reshit ha-hityashvut ha-hadashah bi-yeme Hibat Tsiyon. . Kerakh Rishon, Helek Rishon: Me-Yeme Hurban Bayit Sheni ad Kivush Erests Yisrael al yad Ha-Aravim. Dvir, 1939. 216 pp. + 4 maps library book plate. Good +. Hardcover . (269910) $25.00
23. Kreas Saul. My life and struggle for a better world : a world without exploitation of man by man, without war, without discrimination of race, religion or nationality. New Haven: self, 1977. 467 pp. From cheder in Russia, emigrated first to Philadelphia and then New Haven, Fervent Communist active in Painters Unionin New Haven and major social causes, filled with documents and achievements. Remained in the Party and active in Jewish causes. Very Good. Hardcover . (269984) $85.00
24. Krochmal Nachman Rawidowicz, Simon [Ed.]. Kitvei Rebbi Nachman Krochmal: Writings of Nachman Krochmal. Ararat, 1961. 238+525 pages (In one volume) spine bit faded otherwise in good shape In Hebrew. Good +. Hardcover . (269947) $40.00
25. Kruger Laura. A Stitch in Jewish Time: Provocative Textiles. HUC JIR, 2010. 16 pp. exhibition catalog in color. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Includes the work of Jane Trigere (269801) $36.00
26. Lambert Phyllis editor. Fortifications and the Synagogue: The Fortress of Babylon and the Ben Ezra Synagogue, Cairo. Weidenfeld and nicolson, 1994. 276 pp. beautifully produced work many color illustrations heavy book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269962) $25.00
27. Lehman Emil. The Tents of Michael; The life and times of Colonel Albert Williamson Goldsmid. Lanham: University Press, 1996. 273 pages; was model for Daniel Deronda; he converted back to Judaism . Very good. Cloth. (269735) $25.00
28. Lehmann, Dr M (Lehmann Oscar hrsg). Hagadah schel Pessach. Frankfurt-am-Main: Kauffmann, 1920. 212 pp.several ex library markings hinge starting, age toning to pages. Good. boards.*Yaari #1906 (269845) $55.00
29. Leneman Leon. La Tragedie Des Juifs En U.R.S.S. DeBrouwer, 1959. 322 pp. number on spine and slight library mark on fep, inscribed in Yiddish by author. Good. Paperback.
Was reporter in Moscow during the War. (269728) $28.00
30. Maundrell Henry. A journey from Aleppo to Jerusalem, at Easter, A.D.1697 . also, a journal from Grand Cairo to Mount Sinai, and back again. Translated from a manuscript written by the Prefetto of Egypt, by the Right Rev.Robert Clayton, Bishop of Cloghe. London: J White, 1810. Eighth. 282 pp. + 15 engraved plates , pages and engraved plates lightly browned, beautifully rebound and with new endpapers, foxing/ browning to frontispiece and title page and additional pages. Good +. Cloth Boards. (269771) $175.00
31. (Mendelssohn Moses). Neitboth Haschalom Sefer Bereschith im tirgum Onkelos veperush Rashi vebeur vetirgum Ashkenai huga behaga’a meduyeket al pi haKhumash Tikun Sofrim shel . . . Itzik Premsla z.l. veal pi . . . Moshe Dessau z.l. venitvasfu seder HaHaftarot vekhamesh megilot. . . Wien: Schmid, 1818. 435 pp. frontispeice portrait of Mendelssohn tipped in and illustration on title page, new blue boards and new endpapers and hinges, some dog eared pages. Good. Boards.
1, Sefer netivot ha-salom : wehuʼ ḥibur kolel ḥamisat ḥumse Torah ʻim targum Askenazi u-veʼur = Netiboth Haschalom / Moseh mi-Desoy Sefer Beresit = Bereschith.(worldcat entry)… Sepher Nethivoth Hashalom, more commonly known as the Bi’ur, is Moses Mendelssohn’s revolutionary translation of the Pentateuch. Mendelsson translated the Pentateuch into German using Hebrew characters while the commentary was composed in Hebrew. The commentary aimed to explain the translation choices made by Mendelssohn and drew heavily on traditional medieval Jewish Bible commentators.(Kestenbaum entry) Was originally published in 1783 (267754) $1,250.00
32. Naumbourg S. Recueil de chants religieux et populaires des Israelites. Paris: l’auteur et les principaux editeurs de musique, 1874. fourth edition. XLVI (commentary)+ 114 pp. of liturgy with music familiar prayers, new spine, foxing throughout some heavy to endpapers, boards worn and torn, music very readable and useable. Good-. Boards.
partitions transcrites pour Piano ou Orgue Harmonium (268614) $125.00
33. Obermann Dr. J. Der Philosophische Und Religiose Subjektivismus Ghazalis; Ein Beitrag zum Problem der Religion. Braumuller, 1921. 344 pages , tears to spine, marbled boards, Art Green’s copy. Good +. Cloth.
The Muslim thinker al-Ghazali (d. 1111) was one of the most influential theologians and philosophers of Islam and has been considered an authority in both Western and Islamic philosophical traditions. (269752) $45.00
34. Ofrat Gideon preface. Shraga Weil : sixty years of printmaking; Sheraga Ṿail : 60 shenot hedpes. Safrai, 2009. 29 pp. covering the life and work of Weil with exhibitions, 33pp.- 127 pp. of color and black and white images, and 20 pp. of Hebrew , in box. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
A true catalog of his work (266498) $90.00
35. Omar, Abed Al-Samih Abu. Traditional Palestinian Embroidery and Jewelry. self, 2005. 144 pp. filled with color illustrations. Very Good. Hardcover . (262549) $9.00
36. Ottensoser David (1784-1858) . Kiryah neʼemanah : Sefer Yirmeyah. Dihernfoṛṭ (Dyhernfurth): : Bi-defus Tsevi Hirsch (Hirsch und Marcus), 1826. 204 double pages,In Hebrew, slight library marks, leathe spine repaird with new cloth, new hinges, boards worn, slight foxing to end papers. Good. Boards.
me-turgam Ashkenazit u-mevoʼar … me-et Daṿid Otṭenzoser … (269869) $175.00
37. Rabello Alfredo. The Jews in Visigothic Spain in the Light of the Legislation [In Hebrew]. shazar Centre, 1983. 237 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (258442) $18.00
38. (Romania) Sincerus, Edmond. Les Juifs en Roumaine: Depuis le Traite de Berlin (1878) jusqu’a de jour: Les Lois et Leurs Consequences. Londres: Macmillan, 1901. 212 pp.number on spine and slight library mark on fep, crown and base of spine slight tears. good. cloth. (262336) $45.00
39. Sassoon, Rabbi Solomon David. A Critical Study of Electrical Stunning and the Jewish Method of Slaughter(Shechita). Letchworth: self, 1955. 3rd. 8vo 48 pp.number on cover and slight library stamp on pastedwon. good. wrapper. (269730) $20.00
40. Schwartz-Be’eri, Ora. The Jews of Kurdistan Daily Life Customs Arts and Crafts. Jeruslaem: Israel Musuem, 2000. 8vo 269 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269982) $15.00
41. Seri, Shalom editor. Se’i Yona: Yemenite Jews in Israel. Am Oved, 1983. 508 pp. In Hebrew filled with essays large book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269972) $30.00
42. Shachar Isaiah. Jewish Tradition in Art: The Feuchtwanger Collection of Judaica. jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1981. 340 pp., in Hebrew and English. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Lists and descriptions of Jewish ceremonial art objects and especially amulets with photos.Beautiful collection (260336) $78.00
43. Shachar Isaiah. Jewish Tradition in Art: The Feuchtwanger Collection of Judaica. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1981. 340 pp., in Hebrew and English. Good. Paperback.
Lists and descriptions of Jewish ceremonial art objects and especially amulets with photos. Beautiful collection (269905) $40.00
44. Slobin, Mark. Tenement Songs: The Popular Music of the Jewish Immigrants. Urbana: Univ. of Illinois, 1982. 213 pp.dj torn. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
covers 1880-1920 (268835) $7.00
45. Souvenir de Jerusalem No II de 12 carte illustre. 1900s?. 12 color postcards. including women at the Western Wall praying. with explanations in many languages. Color still very pronounced . Very Good. Wrapper. (266303) $36.00
46. Steinhardt Inacio. Raizes dos Judeus Em Portugal entre Godos e Sarracenos. Vega, 2014. Second Edition. 177 pp. In Portuguese. Very Good. Paperback. (269758) $36.00
47. Sulzer Joseph (hrsg). Schir Zion; Gesange fur den israelitischen Gottesdienst Salomon Sulzer. Frankfurt: Kauffmann Verlag, 1922. dritte auflage. 544 pages new cloth covers and end papers collection of melodies and text for the Hazan for Shabbes and various holidays massive work. Good condition. Hardcover .
Shir Zion “established models for the various sections of the musical service-the recitative of the cantor, the choral of the choir, and the responses of the congregation-and it contained music for Sabbaths, festivals, weddings, and funerals which has been introduced into nearly all the synagogues of the world. In the compilation of this work he was assisted by some of the best musical composers of Vienna” JE Volume XI pp. 586 (269782) $225.00
48. Sutzkever Abraham (inscribed). Di Fidlroyz: Poems 1970-1972. Di Goldene Keyt, 1974. 111 pp. inscribed in Yiddish by Sutzkever with a drawing similar to the cover, djs torn and some fading. Good. Boards and dj.
drawings by Marc Chagall. (269975) $125.00
49. Szajowski, Zosa. Jews, Wars, and Communism. Vol. I. The Attitude of American Jews to World War I, The Russian Revolutions of 1917 & Communism (1914-1945). Vol. II. The Impact of the 1919-20 Red Scare on American Jewish Life. NY: Ktav, 1972+ 1974. 713 pp.+ 398 pp. volume one pristine volume two dj worn and torn, slight foxing fore edge, volume two book plate and glue residue to free end paper . Very Good. Hardcover . (269772) $95.00
50. Tarbiz a Quarterly for Jewish Studies . Presented to Gershom G. Scholem in Honour of his Sixtieth Birthday. Magnes, 1958. Vol XXVII Number 2-3. 420 pp. spine torn, taped spine, name crossed off tp, In Hebrew . Good-. Paperback. (265695) $15.00
51. Viteles Harry ken. A History of the Co-operative Movement in Israel. A Source Book in 7 Volumes. BOOK 1: The Evolution of the Co-oerative Movement. BOOK 2: The Evolution of the Kibbutz Movement. BOOK 3: An Analysis of the Four Sectors of the Kibbutz Movement. BOOK 4: Co-operative Smallholders Settlements (The Moshav Movement). BOOK 5: Workers Producers Transportation and Service Co-operatives. BOOK 6: Central Agricultural Co-operatives. BOOK 7: Consumers’ Co-opertaion., Vallentine Mitchell, 1966-1978. (252 pp. 749 pp. 751 pp. ;405 pp. 414 pp. ;750 pp. ;348 pp. ex library with withdrawn marks, back pockets removed, dj in plastic cover. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Signifigant work on the kibbutz movement. Harry Viteles, who was formerly in charge of the field work of the European Reconstruction Department of the Joint Distribution Committee went in 1925 to Palestine to conduct the affairs of the Central Bank of Co-operative Institutions in Palestine, (JTA) (256617) $150.00
52. Wise Stephen (inscribed). The Improvement of the Moral Qualities An Ethical Treatise of the Eleventh Century by Solomon Ibn Gibirol, Printed from an Unique Arabic Manuscript. Columbia , 1901. 117 + 47 pp. slight tears to crown of spine, and tear to base of spine. Good. Hardcover .
“With the compliments of the author ” (269737) $75.00
53. WPA Yiddish Writers Group. Jewish Families and Family Circles of New York. Prepared by the Yiddish Writers’ Guild of the Federal Writers’ Project,, 1939. 206 pp. slight library number on spine, work is in Yiddish. Good +. Hardcover . (248139) $85.00
54. Zafrani, Haim. Pedagogie Juive en Terre D’islam ; L’Enseignement Traditionnel de L’Hebreu et du Judaisme au Maroc. Paris: Lib D’Amerique, 1969. 191 pp. sfep and pencil underlined. Good +. Paperback. (269746) $32.00
55. Zaleski, Carol. Otherworld Journeys: Accounts of Near-Death Experience in Medieval and Modern Times. Oxford University Press, New York, 1987. 275 pp. Very Good in VG DJ. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (270079) $20.00
56. Zimiles Murray. Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel Jewish Carving Traditions. UPNE, 2007. 170 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. this book is the first fully developed study of the secularization of Eastern European Jewish folk art traditions in America.. Not only did they continue to carve religious artifacts for new synagogues serving fellow immigrants; they also created wooden trade figures, carnival figures, and some of the greatest carousel animals the world has ever seen (269542) $30.00
57. Zionism. Yediot Iriat Tel Aviv No 1 and 2. Tel Aviv: Oct Nov 1932. Monthly newsleteer , few pages slight staining not affecting text 37 pp. + 31-56 plus mimeograph of 8 pp of statistics that details the workers their backgrounds, tables concerning the labor, the contractors names and number of workers and projects . Good +. Boards. (269817) $165.00
58. Zipperstein Steven. Imagining Russian Jewry: Memory, History, Identity (Samuel and Althea Stroum Lectures in Jewish Studies.). Washington, 1999. 138 pp. bottom corner bumped. Good +. Paperback. (269742) $6.00
1. Aczel Tamas (inscribed). Illuminations; a novel. NY: Pantheon, 1981. inscribed by author. Hungarian survivor of the Nazis and the Communists and his epic journey dj worn. Good condition. Hardback & DJ. Story of Dr George Feldheimer, dentist and boulevardier, formerly of Budapest, presently of London, is a man under perpetual suspicion. Arrested by the Hungarian secret police, a survivor of Nazi concentration camps, fascist torture and Communist Party purges, he flees Hungary for England, where he is promptly interrogated. (258283) $35.00
2. Adam Thomas hrsg. Oppenheimer – Eine judische Familie aus Bruchsal: Spuren – Geschichten – Begegnungen. Verlag regional kultur, 2012. 322 pp. In German Many essays on the family and their connection to Bruchsal and their fate during the Shoah and the visits after the War. Very Good. Hardcover . (269828) $32.00
3. Adelsberger Lucie. Auschwitz: Ein Tatsachenbericht. Das Vermachtnis der Opfer fur uns Juden und fur alle Menschen. Berlin: Lettner, 1956. 173 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Jewish Doctor who survived Auschwitz. Worked treating Gypsies in the Camp. (269835) $26.00
4. Adler, H.G., Langbein, Hermann, Lingens-Reiner, Ella. Auschwitz: Zeugnisse und Berichte. Frankfurt: Athenaum, 1962. 420 pp. Good +. Paperback. (269799) $7.00
5. Bierling Tino editor. Edward Kleinholz The Pawn Boys. Berlinische Gallery, 1986. 35 pp.In German pen notes last pagefilled with , images of Nazi soldiers with families . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269748) $25.00
6. Bloch, Chajim. Das Judische Amerika: Wahrnehmungen und Betrachtungen. Wien: Das Leben, 1926. 120 pp. Interesting observations of American Jewry, Very Good. Cloth. (269833) $22.00
7. Botz Gerhard. Nationalsozialmus in Wien Machtubernahme und Herrschaftsssicherung 1938/39. Obermayer, 1988. 592 pp. Very Good-. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269785) $20.00
8. Bruchfeld, Stephane. Tell ye your children…a book about the Holocaust in Europe 1933-1945. Regieringskansliet: Levande Historia, 1998. oblong 8vo 80 pp. slight library markings. Very Good. wrapper. Published by Swedish Government (270048) $10.00
9. Cohn Ruth C. …inmitten aller Sterne. NYC: Privately printed, 1949. First Edition. 24 pp. linen boards have some foxing, Limited edition No 115 Vorworte von Frederick Paulsen zu Ruth Cohn Gedichten,First part is Berlin und Zurich 1933-1940 poems about the War and thoughts…… “When Hitler came to power in 1933, after disturbing and frightening experiences with National Socialism she fled to Zurich, Switzerland, where she studied psychology and minored in pre-clinical medicine and psychiatrics at the University. In addition, she studied education, theology, literature and philosophy. From 1934 to 1939, she was also trained as a psychoanalyst at the International Society for Psychoanalysis. In 1936, she — like all German Jews living in foreign countries — lost her German citizenship. In 1938, she married Hans-Helmut Cohn, a medical student of German-Jewish heritage.” Wikipedia Came to the USA in 1940 was important educator and psychotherapist. Good. linen boards. Sternfeld Deutsche Exil Literatur page 55 (269823) $100.00
10. Der Poilisher Id Nummer 8-9. Rio Brazil: Central Committe Polish Jews in Brazil, 1958. 496 pp.In Yiddish, cover boards worn and stained, articles essays on the Shoah including B Mark on the Extermination and Resistance of the Jews in Poland 1939/44, Anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising, Articles on Israel, Jewish life in Brazil. Good-. Boards. (266818) $100.00
11. Deutsch, Julius. De Burgeroorlog in Oostenryk: Beschrijving door mede-strijders en ooggetuogen. Amsterdam: De Arbeiderspers, 1934. Slight library marks. embossed stamp tp 12mo 79 pp.cover bent and chipped. Good condition. wrapper. Julius Deutsch founded the “Schutzbund” in 1923 as an answer to the paramilitary organization “Heimwehr” (Home Guard), which was ideologically related to the Christian Social Party. He remained its leader until its destruction in 1934. (258378) $30.00
12. Dorner Bernwald. Die Deutschen und der Holocaust Was niemand wissen wollte, aber jeder wissen konnte. Propylaen, 2007. 891 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269784) $20.00
13. Fine David. Jewish Integration in the German Army in the First World War (New Perspectives on Modern Jewish History). De Gruyter, 2012. 180 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269843) $65.00
14. Hamburger, Ernst. Juden im offentlichen Leben Deutschlands; Regierungsmitglieder, Beamte und Parlamentarier in der monarchischen Zeit: 1848-1918. Tubingen: Mohr, 1968. 595 pp. slight white marks at bottom of cover. Good +. Hardcover . (269841) $25.00
15. Hazan, Souzana. “…dieser schonen Welt Lebewohl sagen” = “..say farewell to this beautiful world” : Der Weg der Familie Sturm aus Augsburg = The Sturm family of Augsburg / Augsburg: :Judisches Kulturmuseum, 2010. 87 pp. on the family in Augsburg and the Shoah. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269816) $30.00
16. Hoffmann Prof Heinrich (hrsg). Jugend Um Hitler 120 Bilddokumente Aus Der Umgebung Des Fuhrers; Gelietwort Baldur von Schirach. Munchen: Hoffmann, 1935. 211 bis 260 tausend. 96 pp. Propaganda extolling Hitler with pictures of children admiring Hitler, with Heil Hitlers, and images of Aryan youth Hitler as the “father” of the German children under his care. Good +. Stiff Wrapper. (269820) $135.00
17. James Harold. The Deutsche Bank and the Nazi Economic War Against the Jews The Expropriation of Jewish Owned Property. NY: Cambridge UP, 2001. 262 pp. new. Hardcover . (269741) $15.00
18. Jansen John Weyl Stefan. Silent War the Underground Movement in Germany. Lippincott, 1943. 357 pp. Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Written by anti Nazi activists who were able to leave Germany and involved in the movement (269732) $25.00
19. Jasper Willi. Hotel Lutetia. Ein deutsches Exil in Paris. Hanser, 1994. 390 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Novel based on residents of hotel including Munzenberg Ulbrict Heinrich Mann Ernst Junger (266924) $15.00
20. Kohlbauer-Fritz, Gabriele hrsg. In a Schtodt woss starbt: In einer Stadt, die stirbt- Jiddische Lyrik aus Wien. Picus, 1995. 194 pp. with intro chapter on Yiddish Culture in Vienna, German translation and some of the original Yiddish poems. Very Good. Hardcover . (269860) $48.00
21. Korner Edmund (erbauerer) Klapheck Richard (text). Die Synagoge in Essen….Faksimile Ausgabe. Essen: Gesellschaft fur christlich-judische Zusammenarbeit, 1980. facsimile of 1914 edition 104 pp. filled with illustrations and architectural plans, in a box. Very Good. Hardcover . (269861) $36.00
22. Kracauer Siegfried. Das Ornament der Masse. Suhrkamp, 1963. 331 pp. Very Good-. Paperback. Refugee writer influenced Adorno (269834) $15.00
23. Kuntz Dieter editor Bachrach Susan project director. Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race. USHMM, 2004. 226 pp.filled with images and text coffee table sized book. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269824) $25.00
24. Lamm Hans (hrsg). Vergangene Tage: Judische Kultur in Munchen. Muller, 1982. 551 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Numerous contributors includes material on the Shoah (269829) $20.00
25. Leschnitzer, Adolf. Faust und Moses. American Imago. Offprint volume 6 no 4 pp.1-17, taped spine . library markings, inscribed by author. good. Stiff Wrapper. By the aurthor of The Magic Background of Modern Anti-Semitism, (269851) $20.00
26. Leschnitzer, Adolf. The Magic Background of Modern Anti-Semitism: An analysis of the German Jewish Relationship. NY: IUP, 1956. 236 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (269839) $17.00
27. Mollenhoff, Gisela. Judische Familien in Muenster 1918 bis 1945. Westfaelisches Dampfboot, , 1995, 1998, 2001. Teil 2, 1-2 (269814) $65.00
28. Moses John. Trade Unionism in Germany from Bismarck to Hitler 1869-1918 and Vol.2 1919-1933. London: Prior, 1982. 560 pp. two volumes. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (258482) $26.00
29. Orlowski Slawomir. Erich Koch Przed Polskim Sadem. Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Ministerstwa Obrony Narodowej, 1959. 291 pp. library marked with taped number on spine tears to covers. Good. Stiff Wrapper. was a Gauleiter of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) in East Prussia from 1928 until 1945. Between 1941 and 1945 he was the Chief of Civil Administration (Chef der Zivilverwaltung) of Bezirk Bialystok. During this period, he was also the Reichskommissar in Reichskommissariat Ukraine from 1941 until 1943. After the war, Koch stood trial in Poland and was convicted in 1959 of war crimes and sentenced to death. (258263) $25.00
30. Pabel Hilmar. Jahre unseres Lebens. Deutsche Schicksalsjahre. Stuttgart: Constantine, 1954. 125 pp. photos and text of the War and the devestation from the German point of view, with German refugess after the War and eturning soldiers and images from the Nazi period also. Very Good. Hardcover . (269832) $32.00
31. Pressac, Jean-Claude. Die Krematorien von Auschwitz: Die Technik des Massenmordes. Mit einem Einführungstext: Von der Entfernung zur Vernichtung oder Wir standen in der Pflicht, gegenüber der SS, der Firma Topf und dem NS-Staat, von Ernst Piper. Piper, 1995. 212 pp. In German extensive research by the author of the monumental work Auschwitz: Technique and Operation of the Gas Chambers. Very Good. Paperback. (269791) $20.00
32. Reder, Rudolf. Belzec. Krakow: Central Jewish Hist Comm, 1946. 65 pp.lower corners creased, tear to top edge, spine worn library markings . good. wrapper. Survivor memoir. In Polish with six photos (269870) $36.00
33. Refugee Relief Act of 1953 Five Semi Annual Reports and the Final Report of the Administrator of the Refugee Relief Act of 1953 as amended. USGPO, 1954-1958. about 225 pages, six reports , enclosed in wrapper which has title and number on the spine. Good. Wrapper. (269729) $68.00
34. Research Staff Of The Commission On European Jewish Cultural Reconstruction. Tentative List of Jewish Periodicals Axis Occupied Countries. Jewish Social Studies Supplement, 1947. 94 pp taped spine, library markings . Good. Wrapper. Vol IX No 3 Important document detailing the periodicals by town published in Introduction by Salo Baron, Hannah Arendt was head of the Research Staff (269810) $50.00
35. Robinson, Jacob. And the Crooked Shall be Made Straight. N.Y.: Macmillan Co., 1965. Eichmann Trial 406 pp.with the compliments of the author. good. Hardcover . (269848) $10.00
36. Rosner Jacob (photographs by). A Palestine Picture Book. NY: Schocken Books, 1947. 141 pp. good cover slight stains. cloth. Rosner did work for the Jewish National Fund, work is a cross section of Jewish life in Palestine,includes refugees (269856) $20.00
37. Roth Martin (hrsg). In aller Munde. Einhundert Jahre Odol. Deutsche Hygiene-Museum/Cantz, 1993. 228 pp.In German Karl Lingner founded the antiseptic mouthwatch and became wealthy,.. By dealing with the disinfection of his time Lingner came to the study of social hygiene literature. He recognized the existing ignorance of the population in terms of the emergence and spread of diseases and subsequently used a large part of his millions of dollars for public health education and to support charitable institutions. Here, in particular, the exhibition of widespread diseases and their control in 1903 and the first International Hygiene Exhibition Dresden 1911 highlighted. The latter reached the dimension and recognition of a world fair for health with more than 5 million visitors. The exhibition methodology developed by Lingner makes him a pioneer of modern hygienic public education.(Wikipedia) Includes the 1930s and National Socialism. Very Good. Hardcover . (269822) $36.00
38. Rulf, Schlomo,(introduction). Paul Lazarus Gedenkbuch: Beitrage zur Wurdigung der Letzten Rabbinergeneration in Deutschland. Jerusalem: Jerusalem Post, 1961. In German and English. 160 pp. good. Hardback & DJ..includes essays on N A Nobel, Franz Rosenzweig, recollections of the work of Lazarus in Germany and Israel 20 essays (269760) $20.00
39. Sachs Nelly. Fahrt in Staublose Gedichte der Nelly Schs. Suhrkamp, 1962. 386 pp. Collection of her poetry many poemws concerning her experiences during the Shoah, wote O the Cimneys winner of Nobel Prize. Very Good. Hardcover . (269838) $25.00
40. Sachs Nelly. Zeichen im Sand Die szenischen Dichtungen der Nelly Sachs. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp Verlag, 1962. 354 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Poems and plays dealing with the Shoah and Jewish life. (269847) $30.00
41. Sauerbruch Ferdinand 1875-1951. Das war mein Leben. Kindler, 1951. 639 pp. said to be filled with falsifications. Good. Hardcover .
Sauerbruch position towards the Nazi government is ambiguous and the subject of debate. In his position he was clearly in contact with the political elite but he was never a member of and did not support the political objectives of the NSDAP. He was, however, a fervent nationalist who wanted to undo the “humiliation of Versailles” and was keen to show off his country as an advanced and sophisticated society. While he had accepted the German Nationalpreis, a short-lived German alternative to the Nobel Prize, he also publicly spoke out for people who were prosecuted (e.g. Liebermann). He was part of the so-called Mittwochgesellschaft, a group of scientists that included critical voices and was later arrested because his son Peter had ties to Claus von Stauffenberg. (wikipedia)In 1937, he became a member of the newly established Reichsforschungsrat (Reich Research Council) that supported “research projects” of the SS, including experiments on prisoners in the concentration camps. As head of the General Medicine Branch of the RRC, he personally approved the funds which financed August Hirts experiments with mustard gas on prisoners at Natzweiler concentration camp from 1941 until 1944. However he was one of the few University professors who publicly spoke out against the NS-Euthanasia program T4. In 1942, he became Surgeon General to the army. In mid-September 1943, Sauerbruch was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the War Merit Cross with Swords. On 12 October 1945, he was charged by the Allies for having contributed to the Nazi dictatorship, but not convicted for lack of evidence.[ (269840) $20.00
42. Schneider Christian. Das Erbe der Napola: Versuch einer Generationengeschichte des Nationalsozialismus. Hamburger, 1996. 394 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269806) $20.00
43. Schroter Manfred. Das Schicksal der Nordhauser Juden 1933 bis 1945: Uberarbeitete und erganzte Neuauflage. Steffen, 2013. 191 pp. + 40 pp. of names of Jewish residents and their fates. Very Good. Hardcover . (269865) $40.00
44. Sehn, Dr. Jan. Konzentrationslager Oswiecim-Brezinka: Auf Grund von Dokumenten und Beweisquellen. Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Prawnicze, 1957. 195 pp. covers worn, pen writing on cover,, hinges repaired. good bent cover. wrapper. (Zentralkommission zur Untersuchung der Naziverbrechen in Polen). (258252) $25.00
45. “Sie gaben uns wieder Hoffnung” : Schwangerschaft und Geburt im KZ-Aussenlager Kaufering I. KZ-Gedenkstatte Dachau, 2010. 52 pp. oblong 8vo. cover slightly bent . Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (269809) $30.00
46. Simon Ernst (Inscribed by). Martin Buber und das deutsche Judentm. Stuttgart: 1963. Offprint from Sammelbuch “Juden in Deutschland” pp. 27-84 ex library with markings taped spine, worked with Buber on Lehrhaus and emigrated to Palestine . Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269857) $32.00
47. Simon Ernst. Totalitat und Antitotatitarismus als Wesenszuge des Uberlieferten Judentums. Kosel, 196o?. 99-139 pp. sonderdruck Munchener Akademie Schriften, many library markings. Good. Stiff Wrapper. worked with Buber on Lehrhaus and emigrated to Palestine (269837) $22.00
48. Slany William and Eizenstat. Stuart (appendix by Bradsher, Greg). U.S. and Allied Efforts to Recover and Restore Gold and Other Assets Stolen Or Hidden By Germany During World War II. Preliminary Study and Appendix (two volumes). Washington: Department of State, May 1997. 212+278 pp., Very Good + Good. Stiff Wrapper. Appendix: “Finding Aid to Records at the National Archives at College Park” (258265) $75.00
49. Smith John (pseudonymn). The Plot to Save Eichmann. Domino, 1961. 36 pp. slight library marks. Good +. Wrapper. The plot to not reveal to the world the devestation of Eichmann and the coverups and his ability to escape from Europe and survival in Argentina (269738) $36.00
50. Sneeringer Julia. Winning Women’s Votes: Propaganda & Politics in Weimar Germany. UNC, 2002. 364 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269743) $10.00
51. Staudinger Barbara. Von Bayern nach Erez Israel-Auf den Spuren judischer Volkskunst; From Bavaria to Eretz Israel Tracing Jewish Folk Art. Minerva, 2007. 63 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269114) $26.00
52. Stein Alexander. Adolf Hitler Schuler der “Weisen von Zion”. Karlsbad: Graphia, 1936. 120 pp. new covers slight library mark on fep, Exile press scarce item. Good. Wrapper. Sternfeld DEL pp. 479 (269863) $95.00
53. Talmi Ephraim editor. Kehilat Sherpts sefer zikaron. Tel Aviv: Ha Irgumim sel Yotse Sherpts be Yisrael, 1959. 603 pp. stains to end papers, slight wear to covers and spine. Good. Hardcover . (264911) $65.00
54. (Vilna) Ran Leyzer. Jerusalem of Lithuania / litovskij Ierusalim / Yerushalaim deLita Three volumes. Vilno Album Committee, 1974. 540 pages in two folio volumes, map included with volume 1,volume one hinges strengthened, crown and base of spine slightly bumped in both cloth volumes folio size, In English Hebrew Yiddish and Russian, introduction by Abraham Heschel and Ben Zion Dinur.volume 3 the paperback index and bibliography), sfep. Very Good. Hardcover . Two large volumes containing a documentation of Vilna’s Jewish community , its daily life, its institutions and its marvelous culture until the destruction of the Shoah..Material on the Shoah is included,.. Each of the volume contains hundreds of photographs, portraits and copies of historical documents. (269825) $225.00
55. Waldman, Morris. Nor By Power. NY: IUP, 1953. 473 pp Jacob Marcus copy. good. Hardcover .Important leader of the Am Jewish Committee, writes of his work between the wars and Palestine. Includes material on the Shoah (269731) $25.00
56. Wallenstein Abraham. Jews and Germanism. NY: Doran, 1918?. 14 pp.slight library marks. good. wrapper. Horrible conditions of Jews living under German control in Poland Baltics and Ukraine due to the War. (269739) $20.00
57. Winter Berthold. Schwierige Ruckkehr das Schicksal einer judischen Berliner Buchhandlerfamilie. Metropol, 2013. 239 pp.In German, fled Nazi Germany and returned after the War. Very Good. Hardcover . (269759) $20.00
58. Zorner G leitung von. Frauen-KZ Ravensbruck. Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, 1982. 200 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (269800) $15.00
59. Shogan Robert. Prelude to Catastrophe: FDR’s Jews and the Menace of Nazism. Dee, 2010. 285 pp. Uncorrected proofs. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. Brandeis Frankfurter Morgenthau etc. (269584) $12.00
60. Silver, Eric. The Book of the Just: The Unsung Heroes who Rescued Jews from Hitler. NY: Grove, 1992. 8vo 175 pp. Very Good in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (237748) $10.00
61. Snodgrass, W.D. The Fuhrer Bunker; A Cycle of Poems in Progress. BOA Editions, 1978. Second Printing. 71 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Poetry. “20 dramatic monologues (often in multi-dimensional voices) spoken by leading figures of the Nazi regime during the last days of the Third Reich.” (269571) $15.00
62. Stern Heinemann. Warum hassen sie uns eigentlich? Judisches Leben zwischen den Kriegen Errinerungen. Dusseldorf: Droste, 1970. 371 pages. Very good. Hardback & DJ. (229081) $20.00
63. Stettner Walter. Witness to a Changing World. University Editions, 1999. 466 pp. Very Good. Paperback. “A retired Foreign Service officer who sought refuge in this country from Hitler’s Austria, the author’s early life in Trieste and Vienna unfolded under the gathering storms clouds of the Great Depression and the rise of Fascism and Nazism. Arriving in the U.S. without funds but with a Doctor of Law degree, he received a refugee scholarship at Harvard and attained a Ph.D. in economics. Walter Stettner had a hand in numerous economic policies and projects, starting with the Employment Act of 1946 and going on to the Marshall Plan after WWII and the Council of Economic Advisers under Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy. Foreign aid assessments took him to Paris, the Far East, Turkey, Argentina, the Caribbean, Laos as Saigon fell, the African Continent and Pakistan. (from the blurb) (269561) $15.00
64. Stiffel Farnk. The Tale of the Ring:A Kaddish A personal memoir of the Holocaust. Pushcart 1984, 1984. 348 pages Heroic memoir and survival of Auschwitz. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (264691) $10.00
65. Strauss Herbert (editor). Conference on American-Jewish Dilemmas 1971. NY: Am Fed of Jews, 1971. 53 pp includes Henry Friedlander After the Catastrophe. good. pamphlet. Papers delivered at the fifth Lerntag of the American Federation of Jews from Central Europe. (269625) $10.00
66. Studia Judaica Austriaca Bd. V. Der Gelbe Stern in Osterreich; Katalog und Einfuhrung zu einer Dokumentation. Eisenstadt: Roetzer, 1977. 134 pp + photos. cover bent inscribed. Good. Wrapper. (269558) $20.00
67. Szep Erno. The Smell of Humans: A Memoir of the Holocaust in Hungary. Hungary: Corvina, 1985. Recaptures the events following the Nazi occupation of Humgary in 1944 and the forced marches and labor.Detailed and imaginativ 12mo 173 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255671) $20.00
68. Szmaglewska Seweryna. Dymy nad Birkenau. Ksiazka i Wiedza, 1985. 293 pp. dj foxed , In Polish. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
One of the earliest accounts of Birkenau published in 1947 as Smoke over Birkenau (267556) $18.00
69. Szpilman Wladyslaw. Pianista. Krakow: Znak, 2008. 212 pp. survivor memoir of the Shoah, made into a film with pictures included in the book, In Polish. Very Good. Paperback. (255922) $20.00
70. Tatz, Colin. With Intent to Destroy; Reflecting on Genocide. Verso, 2003. 222 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Study of genocides in Germany, Australia and South Africa. (264208) $9.00
71. Temchin , Michael, MD. The Witch Doctor: Memoirs of a Partisan. NY: Holocaust Library, 1983. 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
Jewish medical doctor in the Resistance in Poland, worked miracles. (268332) $10.00
72. Teveth Shabtai. Ben-Gurion and the Holocaust. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1996. 310 pp, small sticker on dj. New in very good dust-jacket. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (269595) $.0
73. Todorov, Tzvetan. facing the extreme: Moral Life in the Concentration Camps. NY: Holt, 1996. 306 pp. good. Hardback & DJ.
Vivid portrait of conduct of those who ran the camps and those who suffered the outrages. Examines acts of kindness and dignity (247105) $8.00
74. Tushnet, Leonard. The Uses of Adversity: Studies of Starvation in the Warsaw Ghetto. NY: Thomas Yoseloff, 1966. 1st. 108 pp. Very Good in good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (269610) $10.00
75. Um uns die Fremde. Die Vertreibung des Geistes 1933-1945, Haude und Spenersche, 1963. 84 pp. dj torn. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (255894) $16.00
76. Utgaard Peter. Remembering and Forgetting Nazism; Education National Identity and the Victim Myth in Postwar Austria. Berghahn, 2003. 196 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
The myth of Austrian victimization at the hands of both Nazi Germany and the Allies became a unifying theme of Austrian official memory and a key component of national identity as a new Austria emerged from the ruins. In the 1980s, Austria’s myth of victimization came under intense scrutiny in the wake of the Waldheim scandal that marked the beginning of its erosion. The fiftieth anniversary of the Anschlus in 1988 accelerated this process and resulted in a collective shift away from the victim myth. Important themes examined include the rebirth of Austria, the Anschlus, the war and the Holocaust, the Austrian resistance, and the Allied occupation. The fragmentation of Austrian official memory since the late 1980s coincided with the dismantling of the Conservative and Social Democratic coalition, which had defined Austrian politics in the postwar period. Through the eyes of the Austrian school system, this book examines how postwar Austria came to terms with the Second World War (242965) $26.00
77. Weiss, John. Ideology of Death: Why the Holocaust Happened in Germany. Chicago: Ivan Dee, 1996. 427 pp. New in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ.
Posits that racist ideas ingrained in German culture led to the Holocaust, Traces culture of racism and Anti-Semitism (269594) $5.00
78. Werres, Peter. Children of the Holocaust: Comtemporary Writers of Jewish Descent in German Speaking Countries. West Virginia Univ. Press, 1991. Philosophical papers, supplementary volume 36 12mo 21 pp. Very Good. Wrappers. (269680) $25.00
79. Wieczorek Janusz chair of the council for the preservation. Scenes of Fighting and Martyrdom Guide War Years in Poland 1939 – 1945. Sport I Turystyka, 1968. 416 pp.+345 images of memorials includes two large maps in pocket. Good. Hardcover . (269569) $20.00
80. Wilhelm Hans-heinrich. Zwei legenden aus dem Dritten reich: Die Prognosen der Abteilung Fremde Heere Ost 1942-1945; Hat Felix Kersten das Niederlandische Volk gerettet? Stuttgart: DVA, 1974. 141 pp. good. Paperback. (269557) $18.00
81. Wilson Keith (editor). Forging the Collective Memory, Government and International Historians through Two World Wars. Berghahn, 2000. 300 pp .Nine essays. Very Good. Hardcover . (242967) $15.00
82. Young James. At Memory’s Edge: After Images of the Holocaust in Contemporary Art and Architecture. New Haven: Yale, April 2000. 256 pp.slight pen markings, foxing to top edge. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Explores Germany’s memorial crisis and how can contemporary artists remember the Holocaust, which they never knew. (269601) $8.00
83. Zandman, Feliz. Never the Last Journey. NY: Schocken, 1995. 427 pp. writing fep . good. Hardback & DJ.
Memoir of being hidden during the Holocaust in Poland and becoming a major electronics executive in the USA. (252155) $8.00
84. Zar, Rose. In the Mouth of the Wolf. Phil: JPS, 1992. 225 pp.dj creaesd. Very Good in Good DJ. Hardback & DJ.
Story of Rose Zar hiding from the Nazis and posing as an Aryan, working for the SS commandant of Krakow. (252160) $10.00
85. Zehfuss Maja. Wounds of Memory; The Politics of War in Germany. Cambridge, 2007. 204 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
German memories of the Second World War are controversial, and they are used to justify different positions on the use of military force. In this book, Maja Zehfuss studies the articulation of memories in novels in order to discuss and challenge arguments deployed in political and public debate. She explores memories that have generated considerable controversy, such as the flight and expulsion of Germans from the East, the bombing of German cities and the ‘liberation’ of Germany in 1945. She shows how memory retrospectively produces a past while claiming merely to invoke it, drawing attention to the complexities and contradictions within how truth, ethics, emotion, subjectivity and time are conceptualised. Zehfuss argues that the tensions and uncertainties revealed raise political questions that must be confronted, beyond the safety net of knowledge. This is a compelling book which pursues an original approach in exploring the politics of invocations of memory. (from the blurb) (245130) $25.00
86. Zertal, Edith. From Catastrophe to Power: Holocaust Survivors and the Emergence of Israel. Berkeley: Univ. of Calif, 1998. 345 pp. new in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (251162) $7.00
87. Zimmerman Joshua (editor). Contested Memories; Poles and Jews during the Holocaust and its Aftermath. New Brunswick: Rutgers, 1992. 324 pp., twenty two essays. Very good in very good dust-jacket. Hardback & DJ. (269602) $10.00
88. Zuhlsdorff Volkmar. Hitler’s Exiles; The German Cultural Resistance in America and Europe. Continuum, 2005. 240 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
First hand account of the German Academy. Membership included the leading intellectuals who went into exile in opposition to the Nazi government. (255950) $10.00
89. Zweig Ronald. The Gold Train; The Destruction of the Jews and the Looting of Hungary. NY: Morrow, 2002. First edition. 311 pages. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
What became of the train carrying hundreds of millions of dollars worth of assets stolen from Jews (269600) $5.00