1. Ages Arnold. The image of Jews and Judaism in the prelude of the French Enlightenment (English series). Naaman, 1986. 174 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266243) $15.00
2. Albert Einstein Foundation. Presenting a Jewish Sponsored University. Einstein Foundation, 1947?. Ten pages with endorsers and sponsors and proposal and four original photos( enclosed not attatched) of the future Brandeis campus, in three ring folder. Good condition. wrapper.
Original name must have been Einstein University (265959) $50.00
3. Albert, Phyllis Cohen. The Modernization of French Jewry: Consistory and Community in the Nineteenth Century. Hanover, New Hampshire: Brandeis University Press, 1977. 1st. 450 pp.dj tears. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (266271) $15.00
4. Ankori Zvi editor. Mi-Lisbon le-Saloniḳi ṿe-Ḳushta : [annual Conference on Jews in Greece – 1986, on the 450th anniversary of the great eastbound migration of Portuguese Marranos following the establishment of inquisition in Portugal (1536)]. Tel Aviv University, 1988. 154 pp. eight essays In Hebrew. Very Good. Paperback. (266247) $54.00
5. Aschheim, Steven . Brothers and Strangers—The East European Jew in German and German-Jewish Consciousness 1800-1923. Madison: U. Wisconsin, 1982. 8vo 331 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266260) $15.00
6. Avissar Oded. Sefer Hebron Sefer Hevron. Keter, 1978. Second Printing. 448 pp. In Hebrew, large book filled with documents pictures text concerning Jewish life in Hebron from ancient times to the present,last twenty pages bottom corner evidence of water stains not affecting text. Good. Hardcover . (266816) $135.00
7. Bak Samuel (drawings) Prie Menachem (text). Sheray Yerushalayim. Mizrad HaBitahon, 1968. 66 pp paper clip mark pastedown hinge starting classical drawings. Good +. Wrapper.
Bak emigrated to the USA and is known for his paintings on the Shoah. (266653) $20.00
8. Balaban Meir. Le-toledot hat-tenu’a haf-franqit : [Frank, Jakob Ben Jehuda Lob] Part Two. Dvir, 1935. 130 pages plus illustrations In Hebrew, tears to crown and base of spine. Good. Hardcover . (266646) $17.00
9. Bar Lish Rebbe Yisrael. Sefer Anaf Etz Avot Vishnietz Skvir (Skver). Brooklyn: Feldman, 1990. In Hebrew and Yiddish , Hassidic Dynasty, large book filled with photos and histories of the families In Europe (Chernobyland Rumania) and their lives, works and followers;the genealogy, from destruction of part of the branch in Europe to rebirth in Brooklyn, Very Good. Hardcover .
There is currently two main offshoot of the Skverer dynasty.One is headquartered in New Square, New York.and one in Boro Park. (266613) $325.00
10. Berger David. The Rebbe The Messiah and the Scandal of Orthodox Indifference. Littman, 2001. 195 pp. Examination of the Messianic trends in Lubavitch Judaism. Very Good. Hardcover . (266205) $15.00
11. Berger, Solomon. The Jewish Commonwealth of Zborow. NY: Regsol, 1967. 154 pp. dj torn Destruction of the Jewish community. good. Hardback & DJ.
Memorial book of growing up in this town in Eastern Galicia, now part of the Soviet Ukraine, through the First War. (259192) $18.00
12. Berkovitz Jay. Rites and Passages: The Beginnings of Modern Jewish Culture in France, 1650-1860. Penn, 2004. 332 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266176) $20.00
13. Berlin Charles (cataloguer). American Jewish Ephemera; A Bicentennial Exhibition from the Judaica Collection of the Harvard College Library. Harvard, 1977. 91 items plus 7 page essay by Oscar Handlin. Very good condition. Paperback. (266774) $10.00
14. Bernheim Isaac. The Story of the Bernheim Family. Louisville: Morton, 1910. 145 pp. new spine , wear to edges of sides of cover, number on spine and slight library mark on fep. Good +. Boards.
Bernheim was a prominent member of the Jewish community active in the Union of American Hebrew Congregations and the American Jewish Committee. He donated to establish the first library at the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati. In Louisville, he funded the first home for the Young Men’s Hebrew Association and funded an addition to the Jewish Hospital. He started the I. W. Harper brand of bourbon distilled at the Bernheim distillery in Louisville, Kentucky. The success of his distillery and distribution business helped to consolidate the Louisville area as a major centre of Kentucky bourbon distilling. (266650) $20.00
15. Biale, David. Gershom Scholem, Kabbalah and Counter-History. Cambridge: Harvard, 1979. 279 pp.dj chipped. Good. Hardcover . (266180) $10.00
16. Birnbaum Pierre editor. Paths of Emancipation Jews States and Citizenship. Princeton, 1995. 308 pp. Very Good. Paperback.
“Emancipation and the Liberal Offer,” Pierre Birnbaum and Ira Katznelson, “Dutch Jews in a Segemnted Society,” Hans Daadler, “From ‘Schutzjuden’ to ‘Deutsche Staatsbürger Jüduschen Glaubens’: The Long and Bumpy Road of Jewish Emancipation in Germany,” Werner E. Mosse, “Between Social and Political Assimilation: Remarks on the History of Jews in France,” Pierre Birnbaum, “English Jews or Jews of the English Persuasion? Reflections on the Emancipation of Anglo-Jewry,” Geoffrey Alderman, “Between Separation and Dissappearance: Jews on the margins of American Liberalism,” Ira Katznelson, “The Emancipation of Jews in Italy,” Dan S. Segre, “From Millet to Minority: Turkish Jewry,” Aron Rodrigue, “Russian Jewry, the Russian State, and the Dynamics of Jewish Emancipation,” Michael Stanislwski (266208) $10.00
17. Bishvil Habimah HaIvrit Shalom ALeichem A P Tsehuv Abraham Raisin Kobetz Alef; *Dla Sceny Hebrajskiej. Zbior I-szy Szolem Alejchem, A P Czechow Abram Rajzin. Warsaw: Lapid (Hendlera) , 1930s?. In Hebrew translated by I E Handelzalc 75 pp. covers slight wear. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266042) $55.00
18. Bloom Herbert . Economic Activities of the Jews of Amsterdam in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Bayard Press, 1937. 332 pp. original edition, covers blotchy or pasty not affecting text. Good +. Hardcover . (266255) $95.00
19. Bodian Miriam. Hebrews of the Portuguese Nation: Conversos and Community in Early Modern Amsterdam (The Modern Jewish Experience). Indiana University Press, 1997. 219 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266215) $18.00
20. Brandt Jorgen (digte af). Oh Israel. Kobenhaven: samlerens Forlag, 1978. large 8vo 60 pp. creases to cover backstrip torn Poetry and Drawings. good. stiff wrapper. (265972) $12.00
21. Breuer Edward. The limits of Enlightenment: Jews, Germans and the Eighteenth-Century study of Scripture. Harvard University Press, 1996. 332 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266203) $23.00
22. Calmann, Marianne. The Carriere of Carpentras. London: Littman: Oxford UP, 1984. 286 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Important study traces the history of the Jews of Carpentras from the 13th century through the modern times. (266273) $8.00
23. Cassuto U. Ha-Yehudim be-Firenze} (The Jews of Florence in the Renaissance). Transl. from Italian by M. Hartom. Introduction to the Hebrew edition by Ben-Zion Dinur. Machon Ben Zvi, 1967. 392 pp.In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266244) $58.00
24. Cohen Judah. Through the Sands of Time: A History of the Jewish Community of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Brandeis, 2004. 298 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266225) $24.00
25. Coudert Allison. Hebraica Veritas?: Christian Hebraists and the Study of Judaism in Early Modern Europe. Penn, 2004. 316 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266223) $40.00
26. David Abraham. The Irascible Historian New Light on the Personality of the Sixteenth Century Chronicler Joseph Ha-Kohen from his Personal Correspondene; Hisṭoryon be-saʻarot ruḥo : demuto ṿe-ofyo shel ha-hisṭoryon Yosef ha-Kohen baʻal ʻEmeḳ ha-bakha ha-mishtaḳfim mi-ḳovets igrotaṿ ha-ishiyot. Beit David, 2004. 71 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266248) $36.00
27. Davidson Israel. Parody in Jewish Literature. NY: Columbia UP Oriental Series 2, 1907. 292 pages ,boards worn, slight tear to spine, Good condition. Cloth.
work is in in English and Hebrew (266827) $10.00
28. Diner H. Hungering for America: Italian, Irish, and Jewish Foodways in the Age of Migration. Harvard University Press, 2001. 292 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266213) $15.00
29. Diner H. Roads Taken: The Great Jewish Migrations to the New World and the Peddlers Who Forged the Way. Yale University Press, 2015. 245 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266246) $18.00
30. Diner, Hasia R. Lower East Side Memories; A Jewish Place in America. Princeton, 2000. 219 pp. inscribed by author. New. Hardcover . (266245) $15.00
31. Edelheit, Joseph, editor. The Life of the Covenant: The Challenge of Contemporary Judaism: Essays in Honor of Herman Schaalman. Chicago: Spertus, 1986. 263 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
excellent collection of about 20 essays on Jewish Christian relations, post Holocaust Judaic thinking, liberal theology etc. (265962) $8.00
32. Edwards John. The Jews in Christian Europe: 1400-1700. Routledge, 1991. 190 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266264) $15.00
33. Egyptian Embassy. Report by General Bennike Chief of Staff of the Truce Supervision Organization in Palestine. Washington: Egyptian Embassy, 1953. 78 pp. slight library mark On the Qibya Massacre. Good. Wrapper. (266661) $15.00
34. Ellenson David. After Emancipation; Jewish Religious Responses to Modernity. Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College Press, 2004. 547 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266224) $20.00
35. Ellenson David. Jewish Meaning in a World of Choice: Studies in Tradition and Modernity. JPS, 2014. 344 pp. inscribed. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266268) $36.00
36. Ellenson David. Pledges of Jewish Allegiance: Conversion, Law, and Policymaking in Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Orthodox Responsa. Stanford University Press, 2012. 206 pp.inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266214) $20.00
37. Engelman Uriah. Jewish Education in Toronto Preliminary Report. Toronto: United Jewish Welfare Fund, 1948. 111 pages (includes appendixes) , mimeographed , library stamped. Good condition. Boards. (266000) $25.00
38. Epstein I (editor). Essays Presented to J.H. Hertz Chief Rabbi. Goldston, 1942. 442+ 111 pp. In English and Hebrew ,.,. appears to be Nahum M Sarna’s signature on free end paper and title page and small bookseller sticker of Jacob Sarna on paste down 13 Rondu Road London and also a small label of his on title pag.
Good +. Hardcover .
Thirty two essays On the occasion of his seventieth birthday (266760) $25.00
39. Estraikh Gennady. In Harness: Yiddish Writers’ Romance with Communism. Syracuse UP, 2004. 242 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Centering mainly on the Soviet Jewish literati but with an eye to their American counterparts, the book follows their paths from avant-garde beginnings in Kiev after the 1905 revolution to their peak in the mid-1930s. (266219) $20.00
40. Estraikh Gennandy. Yiddish in the Cold War. Maney, 2008. 178 p. slight water stains bottom of last pages not affecting text, inscribed by the author. Good +. Hardcover .
Yiddish-speaking groups of Communists played a visible role in many countries, most notably in the Soviet Union, United States, Poland, France, Canada, Argentina and Uruguay. The sacrificial role of the Red Army, and the Soviet Union as a whole, reinforced the Left movement in the post-Holocaust Jewish world. Apart from card-careering devotees, such groups attracted numerous sympathisers, including the artist Marc Chagall and the writer Sholem Asch. But the suppression of Yiddish culture in the Soviet Union radically changed the climate in Jewish leftwing circles. Former Communists and sympathisers turned away, while the attention of Yiddish commentators in the West turned to the conditions for Jewish cultural and religious life in the Soviet Union and Poland, Jewish emigration and the situation in the Middle East. Ideological confrontations between Communist Yiddish literati in the Soviet Union, United States, Canada, Poland, France and Israel are in the centre of Gennady Estraikh s pioneering study Yiddish in the Cold War.(blurb) (266232) $62.00
41. Etkes Immanuel. Rabbi Israel Salanter and the Beginning of the Musar Movement. Magnes, 1984. 354 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (266195) $30.00
42. Fadravosh Shimon. Chazon Torah V’Zion
; Mamorim Ltoldot hazionot hadatit. New York: Moriah, 1959. 450 pp. Good. Hardcover . (266438) $25.00
43. Feldman Yael. Glory and Agony: Isaac’s Sacrifice and National Narrative. Stanford University Press, 2010. 420 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266231) $36.00
44. Fichhandler,Wm. (arranger). Lieder fun Elyakum Tsunzer. Far gezang aranzshirt mit piano baglaytung fun Vilyam Fitshhendler. Geboyt oyf notitsen fun Yozef Rumshinski/ Selected Songs of Eliakum Zunser. NY: Zunser Publishing Co, 1928. In Yiddish. l 176 pp. Good +. cloth.
Based on notes by Joseph Rumshinsky.Zunser was’ poet and composer of music for the common people.’ Hapgood. (265890) $23.00
45. Fikhman Yaakov Fichman Y. Sefer ha-Arets : antologyah shel Erets-Yisrael. Dvir, 1927. 585 pp. some illustrations, stains to fore edge. Good. Hardcover . (266266) $30.00
46. Fishbane Michael (editor) . The Memoirs of Nahum Glatzer. HUC, 1998. 151 pp. 78 memoir entries with material on pre Nazi Germany , emigration to Palestine and USA, Important Judaic scholar and philosopher. Very Good. Hardcover . (259246) $15.00
47. Fishbane Simcha. The Boldness of an Halakhist: An Analysis of the Writings of Rabbi Yechiel Mechel Halevi Epstein – “The Arukh Hashulhan”; A series of social anthropological essays. Academic Studies Press, 2008. 184 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
It analyses the rabbi’s approach to Jewish law and Jewish life, designed to promote the spiritual welfare of Jews under the pressures of growing secularisation and russification. Although based upon the principles of the traditional judicial process, the rabbi’s rulings demonstrate a profound understanding of the contemporary social and historical reality facing the Jews of Russia at the turn of the century. (from the blurb) (266784) $10.00
48. Fromer, Jakob, ( ubertragen von). Der Babylonische Talmud in auswahl. Berlin: Brandussche Verlag, 1924. 169 pp. blue cloth foilio, gold decorated spine and cover, extraordinary full page illustration of Rabbi perhaps by Josef Budko . Good condition. cloth.
Fromer was a native of the Ghetto of Lodz in Russian Poland and sometime librarian of the Jewish community at Berlin. He pursued a secular education in the West, eventually accepting a position as librarian of the Jewish community of Berlin. Fromer, who was recognized as an authority on the Talmud translated selections from the Babylonian Talmud; this work is said to reflect his ongoing struggle to reconcile his western identity with his traditional background. (265856) $165.00
49. Garcel Marcel. D’une Main Forte: Manuscrits Hebreux Des Collections Francaises. Seuil Bibliotheque National, 1991. 207 pp. beautifully reproduced color images of the manuscripts. Very Good. Hardcover . (266558) $45.00
50. Geer Lois. 1981 Population Study of the St. Paul Jewish Community. United Jewish Fund, 1981. 125 pp. slight library mark on paste down. Very Good. spiral bound. (266772) $15.00
51. Gogol, Nikolai; Altman, Natan [Nathan]. Peterburgskie povesti [Petersburg stories]. Moskva: Academia, 1937. First Edition. Frotispiece image and title page has crease on it, In Russian. Gorgeous collection of Gogol’s greatest stories (The Overcoat, The Nose, Nevsky Prospect) stunningly illustrated by avant-garde master Nathan Altman, peer of El Lissitsky and Chagall.
Faint foxing and slight creases to frontispiece. Very good condition for such a large book, especially one of this period. Small customs stamp on back pastedown. Good. Hardcover .
Altman was an important Russian and then Soviet Jewish artist. From 1920 to 1928, he worked on stage designs for the Habimah Theatre and the Jewish State Theatre in Moscow. In 1923 a volume of his Jewish graphic art, Evrejskaja grafika Natana Al’tmana: Tekst Maksa Osborna [Max Osborn], was published in Berlin. (266295) $285.00
52. Goldman Shalom. The Joseph Story in Jewish and Islamic Lore. NYU, 1986. 178 pp PhD theses ,Cyrus Gordon chair of the committee , manuscript. Very Good. Hardcover . (266636) $18.00
53. Goldschmidts M. Poetiske Skrifter; Udgivne af Hans Son: Forste Bind. Kjobenhavn: Gyldendalske, 1896. 443 pp. leather. spine worn. decorated boards. Good. Boards.
Important Scandanavian Jewish writer (251896) $55.00
54. Goodenough, Erwin. Jewish Symbols in the Greco-Roman Period: Thirteen Volumes. NY: Pantheon Books, 1960s. Bollingen Series:37. Classic study. Important reference. quarto 13 vols. -Vol 12 is the Summary and Conclusion and Vol 13 is the Index and Maps ex library with stamp on title page and pocket on back end paper. Good. cloth.
Please inquire re shipping costs heavy tomes (266350) $425.00
55. Gottlieb Michah. Faith and Freedom: Moses Mendelssohn’s Theological-Political Thought. Oxford University Press, 2011. 209 pp. inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266175) $25.00
56. Grossman Grace. Romance and Ritual: Celebrating the Jewish Wedding. Skirball, 2001. 143 pp. exhibition catalog. Very Good. Paperback. (266494) $20.00
57. Grunhaus Nechama. The Taxation of Izmir’s Jewish Community in the 17th and 18th Centuries. Tel Aviv University, 1997. 175 pp. In Hebrew, inscribed . Very Good. Hardcover . (266249) $30.00
58. Gutstein, Morris. A Priceless Heritage: The Epic Growth of 19th Century Chicago Jewry. NY: Bloch, 1953. 488 pp. Good +. Hardcover . (266809) $12.00
59. Harris Jay. Nachman Krochmal: Guiding the Perplexed of the Modern Age. NYU, 1991. 335 pages. Very Good. Paperback. (266272) $18.00
60. Herausgegeben vom Vorstande der Soncino-Gesellschaft der Freunde des jüdischen Buches. Soncino Nachrichten Beilage zu den Soncino Blattern Band 1. Berlin: Soncino, 1925-1926. XX pp. library marks tears to covers. Good-. Stiff Wrapper. (265973) $45.00
61. Herzl, Theodor. Feuilletons Vorrede von Dr. Raoul Auernheimer (Zwei Bande). Berlin: Harz, 1911. 2. Auflage. 348 + 295 pp. Volume 1: tear to top and side of spine. Good. Decorated Boards with Leather Spines.
Herzl’s writings from Paris. (251789) $75.00
62. Heuberger Georg. Moritz Daniel Oppenheim: die Entdeckung des judischen Selbstbewussseins in der Kunst. Jewish Identity in 19th Century Art. Koln: Wienand, 1999. Exhibition catalog 412 pp. In English and German . Very Good. Paperback. (263708) $30.00
63. Hirschberg Peter. The World of Shas. American Jewish Committee, July 1999. 36 pp. slight library mark on paste down some loose pages. Very Good. Wrapper. (266778) $15.00
64. Holtz Barry. Textual Knowledge: Teaching the Bible in Theory and in Practice. JTS, 2003. 181 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266261) $15.00
65. Hyman, Paula. From Dreyfus to Vichy: The Remaking of French Jewry: 1906-1939. NY: Columbia, 1989. 338 pp. dj chipped. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (266177) $10.00
66. Hyman, Paula. Gender and Assimilation in Modern Jewish Histoy: The Roles and Representation of Women. Seattle: Univ. of Washington, 1995. 12mo 197 pp. new. Paperback. (266212) $15.00
67. Jabotinsky, Ze’ev Vladimir. Targumim. Berlin: Hasefer, 1923. 12mo. 62 pp.slight tears to base and crown of spine, some age wear to covers, translations into Hebrew of Edgar Allen Poe and some other classics. Good. Wrapper.
From 1923, Jabotinsky was editor of the revived Jewish weekly Rassvet (Dawn), published first in Berlin, then in Paris. (266551) $475.00
68. Joffe Judah Yudel Mark (editors in chief). Great Dictionary of the Yiddish Language. Groser Verybuch fun der Yiddishe Sprakhe. Yiddish Dictionary Committee, 1961-1980. Published in New York: Vol. 1, 1961 (544 Pages); crown and base of spine torn,Vol. 2, 1966 (651 Pages); Vol. 3, 1971 (639 Pages); crown bumped and side of cover bruised Vol. 4, 1980 (659 Pages).
Good +. Hardcover .
Although the four volumes of the Groyser Verterbukh cover only the letter Alef (‘A’), about a third of the Yiddish lexicon is covered since many words in Yiddish have prefixes beginning with alef, such as avek- and aroys-(from Yiddish Voice Store comment) (266296) $125.00
69. Kaplan Yosef. From Christianity to Judaism : The Life and Work of Isaac Orobio de Castro. Magnes, 1982. 463 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (266194) $27.00
70. Kashi, Ed. When the borders Bled: The Struggle of the Kurds. NY: Pantheon, 1994. Photo-journalist essay on the Kurdish conflict. 8vo 140 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (265966) $15.00
71. Katsch Prof Abraham. Catalogue of Hebrew Manuscripts Preserved in the USSR acquired n microfilm Part 1. NYU Library, 1957. 62 mimeograph pages. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Microfilm from Baron Guenzberg collection in Lenin Library and Friedlander collection in the Oriental Inst and the Antonin and Firkowtisch collection in public library of Leningrad (266796) $65.00
72. Katz Jacob. A Time for Inquiry – A Time for Reflection – A Historical Essay on Israel Through the Ages (‘Et la-hekor ve-‘et le-hitbonen: Shazar, 1999. 197 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (266250) $28.00
73. Katz, Jacob. Tradition and Crisis: Jewish Society at the End of the Middle Ages. Jerusalem: Bialik, 1958. 316 pp. In Hebrew, dj stained. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266237) $20.00
74. Katz, Jacob. Jewish Emancipation and Self Emancipation. Phil: JPS, 1986. 179 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
The struggle for legal and political equality in the 19th century, rise of Anti-Semitism and move for a Jewish state. (266210) $15.00
75. Kaufmann Y. Golah ve-nekhar: mehkar histori sotsiologi bi-she’elat goralo shel am Yisra’el mi-yeme kedem ve-ad ha-zeman ha-zeh. Dvir, 1929. 576 + 445 pp. Book One parts one and two. Good +. Hardcover . (266258) $36.00
76. Klausner Abraham. The Bicentennial Passover Haggadah. Emanuel Press, 1976. 56 pp. Good +. Wrapper. (266662) $25.00
77. Kreas Saul. My life and struggle for a better world : a world without exploitation of man by man, without war, without discrimination of race, religion or nationality. New Haven: self, 1977. 467 pp. From cheder in Russia, emigrated first to Philadelphia and then New Haven, Fervent Communist active in Painters Unionin New Haven and major social causes, filled with documents and achievements. Remained in the Party and active in Jewish causes. Very Good. Hardcover . (266282) $150.00
78. Lawee Eric. Isaac Abarbanel’s Stance Toward Tradition: Defense, Dissent, and Dialogue. SUNY, 2002. 2`9 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266242) $18.00
79. Lichtenstein, Isaac. Niggun: Melodies: Paintings by Lichtenstein. NY: Machmadim, 1945. Melodies by Henech Kon. Lithographed. 8vo 20 pp. good. stiff wrap. (265971) $10.00
80. Loewy Dr Joseph and Guens Joseph. Haggadah shel Pesach Sevice for the First Nights of Passover. Vienna: Schlesinger, 1928. Second Edition. 66 pp. .edges rubbed and wear alog sides of cover, cloth spine, Brown stain along side of title page and about eight pages of the text probably by wine spilled at seder, adds authenticity? Exquisite color plates by Kunstadt, Good +. Boards. (266347) $96.00
81. Malino Frances . The Sephardic Jews of Bordeaux: Assimilation and Emancipation in Revolutionary and Napoleonic France. Alabama, 1978. 166 pp. dj torn book plate. Good +. Hardcover . (266201) $7.00
82. Manasseh ben Israel; Lindo Elias Hiam . The conciliator of R. Manasseh ben Israel : a reconcilement of the apparent contradictions in Holy Scripture, to which are added explanatory notes, and biographical notices of the quoted authorities. London: Duncan and Malcolm, 1842. 312+ 336 pp.Boards wornm corners bumped, discoloration to covers and crown of spine, wear to crown of spine, hinges repaired, v. 1. The Pentateuch.–v. 2. The prophets and hagiography. Good. Boards. (266917) $325.00
83. Marcus Joseph (inscribed by). Newly Discovered Original Hebrew of Ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus xxii, 16- xxxiv, 1) the Fifth Manuscript and a Prosodic Version of Ben Sira (Ecclesiasticus xxii, 22- xxiii, 9). Dropsie, 1931. 28 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (266874) $20.00
84. Margulies Rabbino Maggiore S H. Rivista Israelitica Periodico Bimestrale per la scienza e la vita del Guidaismo. Firenze: Galletti Cassuto, 1905 + 1907. 255 + 252 pp. In Italian,spine repaired, , library markings including from the synagogue on Tomackiem Street in Warsaw Anno III No 1-6 Anno IV no 1-6 Good-. Hardcover .
Articles by Chajes, Elbogen and Cassuto and others (266729) $150.00
85. Mason Richard. The God of Spinoza: A Philosophical Study. Cambridge University Press, 1999. 272 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266251) $18.00
86. Mechoulan Henry. Entre Juif a Amsterdam au temps de Spinoza. Albin Michel, 1991. 184 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266262) $15.00
87. Mechoulan, Henry (editor). Menasseh Ben Israel: The Hope of Israel. London: Littman: Oxford UP, 1987. 195 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ.
Israel (1604-1657) was an important figure in Amsterdam’s Jewish community,his work The Hope of Israel influenced Cromwell. (266170) $27.00
88. Metzger Mendel. The Earliest Engraved Italian Megilloth. John Rylands, 1966. 51 pp. library marked, offprint. Good. Wrapper. (266597) $12.00
89. Meyer Michael. Response to Modernity: A History of the Reform Movement in Judaism. Oxford University Press, 1988. 494 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266199) $18.00
90. Miller Philip. Karaite Separatism in Nineteenth-Century Russia: Joseph Solomon Lutski’s “Epistle of Israel’s Deliverance”. HUC, 1993. 251 pp. slight tear to dj inscribed by author. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266178) $27.00
91. Nadler Allan. Spinoza A Life. Cambridge, 1999. 406 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266229) $20.00
92. Netanyahu, B. Don Isaac Abravanel: Statesman and Philosopher. Phil: JPS, 1968. 346 pp. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
Jewish statesman, diplomat, writer exiled from Spain in 1492 to Naples. (266217) $8.00
93. Ofrat Gideon preface. Shraga Weil : sixty years of printmaking; Sheraga Ṿail : 60 shenot hedpes. Safrai, 2009. 29 pp. covering the life and work of Weil with exhibitions, 33pp.- 127 pp. of color and black and white images, and 20 pp. of Hebrew , in box. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
A true catalog of his work (266498) $100.00
94. Omer Devorah. ha-Berihah el ha-hofesh Escape to Freedom. Karni, 1976. 243 pp. In Hebrew. escaping from British imprisonment, for young adults, slight stamps on tp and last page. Good. Paperback. (266265) $15.00
95. Ornitz, Samuel. Bride of the Sabbath. NY: Rinehart, 1951. 410 pp. signed by Ornitz dj torn cover by ARNO. good. Hardback & DJ.
Second generation growing up at the turn of the century on the Lower East Side. (266766) $20.00
96. Paluba Abraham. Kashruth A systematic work for the persuasion of the imporatnce of Kashruth observance. Boston: Jewish Religious and Social Library (self), 1954. Second Edition. 25 pp. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266892) $30.00
97. Papers in Jewish Demography Part 1-3. Jerusalem: Assn for Jewish Demography, 1957-1957 1963. Three reports,filled with important essays, each issue 65-95 pages. number on spine and slight mark on pastedown. Good. Wrapper. (266594) $36.00
98. Perlmann Moshe. Midrash ha-refuah : kolel kol torat ha-refuah u-shemirat ha-beriut ba-Talmud ha-Bavli vi-Yerushalmi, Mekhilta?, Sifra, Sifre ve-Tosefta, Midrashim ve-Zohar ve-khu; Heleck Shane. Dvir, 1929. 117 pp In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (266930) $125.00
99. Prezzolini Giuseppe presented by. Israele – Dipinti e disegni di Luciano Guarnieri. Haus Rosenthal, 1971. 79 pp. exhibition catalog in Italina of this artist’s work concerning impressions of Israel. slight tear bottom of spine. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (265945) $25.00
100. Priestley Joseph. Letters to the Jews inviting them to An Amicable Discussion of the Evidences of Christianity. Birmingham: Pearson and Rollason, 1787. Second Edition. 56 pp. and catalogue of books. Good. Wrapper.
Priestley was an important 18th century theologian. (266043) $325.00
101. Radin Asher. ha-Geografiye ha-ketanah ve-hu limud yediat gelilot ha-arets … Koenigsberg: Nidpas a.y. na-shutafim T. Efrati ve-R. Y. Bekker,, 1860. 112 pp. several pages torn and ten pages creased , In Hebrew, hinges taped, slight library stamp on tp and lst page, pen ownership name also on tp. Good. Boards.
Geography textbook (266044) $25.00
102. Ragussis Michael. Figures of Conversion: “The Jewish Question” and English National Identity. Duke, 1995. 340 pp. Very Good-. Paperback. (266184) $8.00
103. Rahmani M. Los Muestros: La Boz de los Sefaradim – La Voix des Sepharades – The Sephardic Voice. Antwerp Belgium: Sept 1995-Mars 1997. No 20, 21, 23, 26, library marks on cover, some creased and dog eared pages, price for all four. Good. Wrapper. (266731) $25.00
104. Rapoport-Albert Ada. Women and the Messianic Heresy of Sabbatai Zevi, 1666-1816. Littmann, 2011. 386 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266218) $36.00
105. Ravitzky A. Religion and State in Jewish Philosophy; Models of Unity,Division,Collision and Subordination. Israel Democracy Institue, 2012. 206 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (266207) $25.00
106. Raz-Krakotzkin, Amnon. The Censor, the Editor, and the Text: The Catholic Church and the Shaping of the Jewish Canon in the Sixteenth Century. University of Penn Press, 2007. 314 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266259) $16.00
107. Remarque Erich . Oyfen maariv-front kayn nais; Ojfn Majrew-Front Kejn Najs. Wilno: Klekina, 1930. 241 pp. title and last page photo copied, covers worn, wear to crown and base of spine,pages yellowed and edges some slight tears. Good +. Boards.
translated from the German by Isaac Bashevis Singer! graphic cover of soldier carrying wounded comrade across mine field (266035) $105.00
108. Research Service Bureau. a report on the Jewish Population of Los Angeles 1959. Los Angeles: Jewish Federation Council, 1959. 42 pp. slight library mark on paste down, xeorox typed manuscript. Very Good. Wrapper. (266773) $15.00
109. Revah I S . Spinoza et le Dr. Juan de Prado. Mouton, 1959. 162 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266191) $38.00
110. Rhind W G. The Tabernacle in the Wilderness; The Shadow of Heavenly Things. Three Engravings, coloured, and inlaid with gold, silver, and brass, according to the texts of scripture: With explanatory notes. London: Bagster, 1842. 35 pp. + appendix ;half bound (spine and corners) all binding cloth, and three colored plates, covers worn stained.slightly discolored and blotchy, cloth, corner pages bumped slightly, one particular color (brown) has transferred and slightly stained the facing page of Camp at Rest , seen also on pp. 27 Israel Marching. Good. Boards.
First edition (266647) $675.00
111. Rofe Alexander . Isac Leo Seeligmann Volume: Essays on the Bible & the Ancient World, Vol. III: Non-Hebrew Section. Jerusalem: Rubinstein, 1983. 345 pp. essays in English French and German. Very Good. Hardcover . (265952) $12.00
112. Schiff Meilech. Lost Boryslaw: Memories of a Galician Youth. Vantage, 1977. Growing up in Polish Galicia,emigrated to Canada in 1935, 159 pp. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (261098) $26.00
113. Schindler Solomon (Temple Adath Israel Boston). Messianic Expectations and Moral Judaism. Cassino, 1886. 290 pp. crown and bse of spine small tears, former owner’s name on fep, essays include A Geniune Messiah, The Spanish Inquisition, Daivd Rubeni and Solomon Molcho, the Kabbalah, Sabbati Zwi et. al. Good. Hardcover .
During 1895-99 he was superintendent of the Federation of Jewish Charities of Boston and then until 1909, served as superintendent of the Leopold Morse Home for Infirm Hebrews and Orphanage at Mattapan. (266771) $45.00
114. Schmelzer Menahem . Guides ot the Perplexed in the Wilderness of Hebraica: From Historical to Contemporary Bibliographies and Catalogs of Hebraica. Harvard University Press, 1996. 23 pp. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266899) $18.00
115. Scholem G (In Hebrew). Shabbetai Zevi; and the Shabbetaian Movement during his Lifeime. Tel Aviv: Oved, 1967. 842 pages in two volumes, in Hebrew, sfep. Good. Hardback & DJ. (266239) $27.00
116. Schorsch, Ismar. Jewish Reactions to German Anti-Semitism: 1870-1914. NY: Columbia, 1972. 8vo 291 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (266196) $10.00
117. Schwartz Daniel. The First Modern Jew: Spinoza and the History of an Image. Princeton University Press, 2012. 270 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266228) $25.00
118. Sed-Rajna Gabrielle. Jewish Art. ABrams, 1997. folio. pp. 635.pp. 795 illus. (272 colour). massive tome reinforced hinges, small remainder mark on lower fore edge. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266046) $85.00
119. Segal, Lester. Historical Consciousness and Religious Tradition in Azariah de’Rossi’s Me’or ‘Einayim. NY: JPS, 1989. 194 pp. new. Hardback & DJ.
Foremost scholar of Hebrew letters in age of Italian Renaissance,laid foundation of Jewish histiography. (266216) $10.00
120. Shilo-Cohen, Nurit. Bezalel: 1906-1929. Jerusalem: Israel Museum, 1983. 8vo 390 pp. writing on half title, In conjunction with exhibition, exhaustive study of the work of Boris Schatz and the art school in Jerusalem. Good +. Hardback & DJ. (259309) $45.00
121. Shohet Azriel. Beginnings of the Haskalah Among German Jewry. Bialik, 1960. 350 pp. In Hebrew. Very Good. Hardcover . (266236) $38.00
122. Shulewitz Malka. Forgotten Millions: The Modern Jewish Exodus from Arab Lands. Continuum, 2000. 238 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266200) $12.00
123. Silbermann Dr A M (editor). The Children’s Haggadah; with a new translation in prose and verse by Isidore Wartski and Arthur Super. London: Shapiro Valentine, 1937. third impression. 45 pp and 11 Seder Melodies, covers a bit worn, edges bumped and slight tears. One two sided moveable plate and three moveable plates. Good. Boards.
Mechanicals and other color and b&w illustrations by Erwin Singer. (261175) $200.00
124. Simon Dr I (redacteur). Revue Histoire de la Medicine Hebraique. Paris: 1950-1961. Nr 5, 7, 10, 24, 31,33, 37, 38, 40, 41, 44, 50, 53, 54 (14 issues) ex library with markings and pockets, paper yellowing but not brittle. Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266885) $100.00
125. Slousch Nahum (Directeur) . Kovets Ha-Hevrah Ha-Ivrit La-Hakirat Erets-Yi’Sra’El Va-Atikotehah BeYerushalaym Recueil pubilé par la Société Hébraïque d`Exploration et d`Archéologie Palestieniennes Vol 1 No. 1 bound with Volume 1, 2-4 (or Vol 1 book 2. pts 2-4) Journal of the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society (1922-1924). Jerusalem: Exploration Society, 1921 and 1925. 98+195 pp., in Hebrew, with photographs, plans and drawings, covers worn and stained, crown and base of spine slightly bumped. Good. Hardcover . (266437) $58.00
126. Soyer Raphael (inscribed). Self Revealment And Memories. NY: associated American Artists, 1969. six page prospectus of his work in black and white and color with prices (amazing) incscribed by Soyer. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (266041) $27.00
127. Standecke Monika. Dirndl, Truhen, Edelweiss – Die Volkskunst der Brüder Wallach. Dirndls, Trunks, and Edelweiss – The Folk Art of the Wallach Brothers. Minerva, 2007. 63 pp. Exhibit at the Jewish Museum in Munich. Very Good. Stiff Wrapper. (265097) $30.00
128. Tcharny Daniel (Charney Daniel ). Lider (poemes) with illustrations by Benn. Paris: Cerata, 1950. no 310 of 500, personally inscribed by Tcharny, spine has tears , missing pieces at top and bottom of spine, bottom pages bumped. Poems written in Yiddish from 1910-1930s. Illustrations are quite unusual. Good. Stiff Wrapper.
Cajchenungen (dessins) by Benn. Daniel Charney (1888-1959), was the brother of the famous Yiddish critic Shmuel Niger and also of the New York Jewish political figure (Forward newspaper; New York City Council) Baruch Charney Vladeck. He was a prominent and prolific Yiddish author (266717) $100.00
129. Teitelboim Dora inscribed by. Inmitn velt. Shrayber sektsye, Yidisher kultur farband, 1947. 127 pp, cover illustration by William Gropper . Good +. Hardcover . (265948) $56.00
130. Temple Beth El Hertz Rabbi Richard. The Beth El annual 1962; Yearbook of the Religious School. Detroit: Temple Beth El, 1962. 45 pp slight library mark. Good +. Wrapper. (265957) $12.00
131. Tesoro de Los Judios Sefardies Vol VI. Jerusalem: 1963. LXXVII+ 200 pp., In Spanish and Hebrew, slight tears at hinge. Good. Hardcover .
Estudios sobre la Historia de los Judios Sefardies Y su Coultura (266732) $20.00
132. Teter Magda. Sinners on Trial Jews and Sacrilege after the Reformation. Harvard University Press, 2011. 331 pp. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266227) $25.00
133. Thiersch Heinrich Wilhelm Josias. Grammatischen Lehrbuch fur den ersten Unterricht in der Hebraischen Sprache auf Gymnasien und Universitaten. Erlangen: Enke, 1842. 238 pp. slight library marks tp name written on tp. Good. library binding. (265950) $20.00
134. Tirosh-Rothschild, Hava. Between Worlds; The life and thought of Rabbi David ben Judah Messer Leon. SUNY, 1991. 385 pp. New. Hardback & DJ.
Tirosh Rothschild focuses on the transition from Italian to Ottoman Jewish culture in the life of David Messer Leon, fuses social and intellectual history, cultural trends among early modern Jews particularly the integration of kabbalah and philosophy, Humanism and Thomism. (266269) $5.00
135. Triwaks I. Milḥamah ṿe-shalom be-Erets Yiśraʼel = Ḳrig un friden in Erets-Yiśraʼel = War and peace in Palestine : albom le-zikaron meha-yamim ha-rishonim shel ha-Tsiyonut ʻad ha-zeman ha-zeh … Tel Aviv Publishing, 1930. 275 + LVII pp some toning to paper pages, wear to exterior at top of spine and to one fore-corner. there is a brief inscription to front free endpaper. In Hebrew Yiddish and English, extensive documentation of the settlements, the building up of the land, the nearby Arab communities and photos of the 1929 riots and massacre of the Jews. Very Good. Hardcover . (266798) $135.00
136. Vidal-Naquet, Pierre. The Jews: History, Memory and the Present. NY: Columbia, 1996. 336 pp. Good +. Hardcover & Dust Jacket.
A journey through key phases of Jewish history, the Jewish encounter with Hellenization and up to the Holocaust. (266198) $12.00
137. Weiss, Joseph. Studies in Eastern European Jewish Mysticism. NY: Oxford UP, 1985. 272 pp. good. Hardback & DJ. (266241) $10.00
138. Werblowsky R j Zwi. Joseph Karo: Lawyer and Mystic. JPS, 1977. 319 pp. Very Good. Paperback. (266270) $8.00
139. Werses Shmuel. Haskalah ve-Shabta’ut: toldotav shel ma’avak/ Haskalah and Sabbatianism: The Story of a Controversy. Shazar Center, 1988. 275 pp. Very Good. Hardcover . (266238) $25.00
140. Wirszubski, Chaim [Haim). Pico della Mirandola’s Encounter with Jewish Mysticism. Israel Academy, 1989. 292 pp. Very Good. Hardcover .
Important monograph on Giovanni Pico della Mirandola (1463-1494) – a student of Marsilio Ficino at his Florentine Academy and the first figure to promote the knowledge of Kabbalah outside solely Jewish circles (266240) $50.00
141. Wischnitzer Rachel. The Messianic Themes in the paintings of the Dura Synagogue. Chicago, na. 135 pp. + 30 images, dj very torn. Good. Hardcover . (266396) $22.00
142. Witkin Simon. Sefer Anahah Gedolah (The Great Sigh). Vilna: 1913. 56 pp. the conditon of the Jewish people, in Hebrew, slight library mark tp. Good. Boards. (266721) $16.00
143. Zack Joel. The Historic Synagogues Of Turkey / Turkiye’nin Tarihi Sinagoglari. American Sephardi Federation / Gozlem Gazetecilik, 2008. 201 pp. Heartrending to see the shuls that are lingering but no longer used in what once was a thriving community. In English and Turkish, Images in color. Very Good. Hardcover & Dust Jacket. (266574) $36.00
144. Zipperstein, Steven. Elusive Prophet: Ahad Ha’am and the Origins of Zionism. California, 1993. 388 pp. Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (266179) $10.00
145. Zipperstein, Steven. The Jews of Odessa: A Cultural History: 1794-1881. Stanford: Stanford UP, 1985. 212 pp . Very Good. Hardback & DJ. (266254) $18.00